This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-29-2009 09:22:03 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The Value of Culture

Something that came up in the gripes thread that I would like to see if people want to talk about. I need to preface my views with a little bit of background.

In David Brin's Uplift War books, he explores the idea of dross. Now, dross actually just means waste, or sometimes impurities in metal. But in the books, one group of people had refined the word to refer to anything that had to be recycled. In other words, trash, or resources that no longer served their purpose, and needed to be put to better use elsewhere. One of the characters then came to realize that everything becomes dross eventually.

Another way of looking at it is the phrase "Everything deserves to perish". It's not because everything is bad or flawed, but because it is proper that everything comes to an end eventually. No matter how wonderful anything is, it will and must die. If for no other reason than that we need the room. How could anything ever be better than the potential of new creation? So unless you're dealing with something that exists in infinite supply, whatever is built must one day be plowed under to provide a field for new growth. Everything must go.

So, culture. I'm kind of attached to mine, especially the ideas of human rights and human dignity that we invented. But it won't last forever. I'd like for it to keep growing through my lifetime, but I recognize that some day, everything I hold dear will have to cease. People will need the space. Cultural space, so to speak, is limited. It's one thing to think that each individual could present their own cultural identity, but it doesn't really work that way. Cultures need to be social to exist. If there are only 4 or 5 Jews in a particular city, you can't really say that there is a Jewish community there.

Culture evolves, changes, adapts...whatever. And in my opinion, even if there were a way to prevent this (and I can't think how there could be), we shouldn't attempt it. I'll always stand up and represent for the cultural values I believe in, but I'm not going to kick and scream too loudly at the thought that someday, no one will dance the Hora anymore. People die, and cultures die too. If they didn't, it would get a bit crowded. Some might say it's crowded already, but I don't mean to advocate wanton destruction either.

So that's what I mean when I say I don't believe that culture should be preserved. I know it's a rather controversial idea, and I'd like to discuss it. Anyone have any thoughts they want to share?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top03-29-2009 10:37:28 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

Re: The Value of Culture

That makes the embrace-of-tides concept make so much more twilight zone-esque sense. I read that series when I was 11.

#3 | Back to Top03-30-2009 12:10:31 AM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I think the value of the preservation of culture comes in many cases from context.  For example, I'm a linguistics student and hear all the time about language-support programs for endangered languages.  Most of these languages belong to indigenous cultures that were steamrolled by colonialism; for example, my phonology professor is watching the last Menominee speakers die off pretty much before her eyes.  I think these preservation programs have value because of that context; it's about undoing as much as we can of a great wrong.  It's a little different situation than a language dying out for other, more arguably natural reasons.  I think the same argument could be made with little change with regard to any other cultural facet.

#4 | Back to Top03-30-2009 09:27:42 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

And here's where I come off as a complete asshole.......there is no difference between a culture disappearing due to a flood or "natural" reasons.....and a culture being exterminated by other humans. Well, morally, obviously, there's a difference. Genocide is terrible and should be prevented. But what is done CANNOT be undone. Once a culture goes past a certain event horizon, it's going to die, and there's no realistic way of bringing it back. Same goes for a species, really. If you only have three breeding pairs of a species, it's probably going to go extinct. And yeah, I do kind of feel the same way about saving endangered languages as I do about saving the panda. I certainly respect efforts to preserve the work of humans more than I respect efforts to preserve pandas, because I respect humans more than pandas. But it has that same futility.

-Truck North

#5 | Back to Top03-30-2009 10:21:30 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

And yeah, I do kind of feel the same way about saving endangered languages as I do about saving the panda. I certainly respect efforts to preserve the work of humans more than I respect efforts to preserve pandas, because I respect humans more than pandas. But it has that same futility.

Funny you would say this, because I was about to use this argument to support the preservation of both. emot-biggrin

Stormcrow wrote:

So, culture. I'm kind of attached to mine, especially the ideas of human rights and human dignity that we invented. But it won't last forever. [...] I recognize that some day, everything I hold dear will have to cease.
[...] And in my opinion, even if there were a way to prevent this (and I can't think how there could be), we shouldn't attempt it. I'll always stand up and represent for the cultural values I believe in, but I'm not going to kick and scream too loudly at the thought that someday, no one will dance the Hora anymore. People die, and cultures die too. If they didn't, it would get a bit crowded. Some might say it's crowded already, but I don't mean to advocate wanton destruction either.

What's your perspective on the disparition of this ideas that you hold dear? Something that might happen within 50 years? Within 100? More? Do you feel it's going to happen during your lifetime? If you don't, perhaps it's easier to accept the idea of culture flowing, evolving and eventually disappearing. But if it's something you feel closer, something you see happening within 10 or 20 years or even less, sometimes the most natural / usual human reaction is to deny it or to fight it - anything, but accepting it with a shrug.

Why? Because humans are cultural beings. And not cultural in general, but more than this: determined, inscribed within one (two, three - a handful, it might depend on the complexity of the society) culture(s). And seeing this disappearing is the loss of a number of references our socialization is based upon. I cannot think that it's no big deal; it's definitely not in the long run, because as you said cultures appear and disappear constantly, but it's something that truly frightens an individual. Because even considering the facts that:

1) the space of a disappearing culture is necessarily filled with an alternative (an alternative that might play a main role in the disparition of the former one) and
2) humans have a theoretically extremely high capacity for adaptation...

... the abandon of a culture and adoption of another one takes some time, either for an individual or for a society, and it's a time for refusing values that one assumed to be the right ones and accepting values that one didn't consider theirs. You can argue that the less traumatic approach to this transition is giving up in what is old and embracing what's new. Because, as you said, there's no realistic way of bringing the old culture back. Only an idealistic one, and I assure you, there will be always a bunch of people (or more) ready to cling to this idealistic way, in hopes that it's still realistic, that the certain event horizon you mention has not been crossed. Because they won't accept that at some point a culture only has to expect death.

TL;DR: I see it as not so much a matter of prolonguing the life of an already dying culture, but the respect to the individuals (and their society) for whom the disappearing culture was their own.

#6 | Back to Top03-30-2009 10:49:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think one has to distinguish between living cultures and dead cultures, and see that one is not necessarily irrelevant because it did not survive. There was a time when if you were from Athens and a landowner, you diddled young boys. But you also studied philosophy, mathematics (same to them), and contributed greatly to the western library of knowledge, in fact, you built some of the foundations of it. That culture didn't survive. Neither of the characteristics I mentioned are typical in your current landowning Athenian. It's a dead culture. But it has value.

There is, of course, that painful period of death, where a living culture dies, leaving only its legacy behind. And in the end, that's all we can hope for from any culture, including our own. I'm Italian-American. Sicilian-American, if you want to be precise. I have slavery, bread and circuses, synagogues and mosques and darkened temples to Dionysus in my blood. I have bathing (when it was uncool) and the number zero in my blood. I am from a culture that spent centuries squabbling, fighting, killing over Sicily only to come to the new world and spend generations doing the same on an even smaller island. I am from a culture that says 'Take whatever you can from others, so long as your family is happy.' I appreciate and enjoy my heritage, my cultures, living and dead, but I am not proud of any of them, because I had no say in them. An Italian invented the telephone. Whoopdy, I didn't, so I'm not going to act like that should get me anything. On the flipside, I greatly enjoy Japanese culture, both as it lives and the incarnations long past. There's not a drop of Japanese blood in me. Does that mean I haven't the right to eat Japanese food, or wear a kimono?*

But much of our issues stem from a fear of that death, of our culture as we know it, though like ourselves, all cultures die. This is not a bad thing. Like artists, cultures tend not to be truly appreciated or paid attention to until they're dead. The rare occasion is one that's as obnoxiously self-congratulating as Rome. Or the US. The Chinese tended to busy themselves making history. Romans stopped every other generation to jerk off for a while over how great they were. We do that. Fair warning.

That said, I also think no language, ever, should have to die. Maybe it will become an academic language, known only by a few people per generation, but it should not die. Every language has in it some potential to say something no other language can, and that's a precious thing to keep. I think there is an intense need for a common language between people now that there's a global scale of communication...but at the same time I fear what that will do to language. So many beautiful modes of speech will die.

*There are many interesting comparisons and contrasts to be made between common threads of Japanese culture and common threads of Italian culture. Seriously. If I were getting a cool degree, this would be my thesis.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top03-31-2009 02:09:32 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

And here's where I come off as a complete asshole.......there is no difference between a culture disappearing due to a flood or "natural" reasons.....and a culture being exterminated by other humans. Well, morally, obviously, there's a difference. Genocide is terrible and should be prevented. But what is done CANNOT be undone. Once a culture goes past a certain event horizon, it's going to die, and there's no realistic way of bringing it back. Same goes for a species, really. If you only have three breeding pairs of a species, it's probably going to go extinct. And yeah, I do kind of feel the same way about saving endangered languages as I do about saving the panda. I certainly respect efforts to preserve the work of humans more than I respect efforts to preserve pandas, because I respect humans more than pandas. But it has that same futility.

I think in cases like Menominee, I think you're right and it's fucked.  But there's a lot of languages right now that could go either way, from Irish (lot of partial speakers) to Cherokee (15000 speakers) to Basque.  And the efforts on those tend to be a lot more emphasis on saving them now rather than writing them down for "someday", which is the treatment Menominee is getting.  I guess my point is that it's arguable a great many of these cultures haven't hit that point of no return yet.

#8 | Back to Top03-31-2009 05:50:36 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Without culture, there wouldn't be any cheese or yogert...that is all.

#9 | Back to Top03-31-2009 06:20:08 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

My model is that cultural diversity is what happens when there is some barrier in place the prevent people from sharing ideas --typically a language barrier, though in the case of minorities like e.g. the Amish it can also be social norms saying that one group is is better than the other and should avoid being contaminated by it (the latter situation can be either symmetrical, as in medieval europe when both jews and christians considered their own values superior to the other, or asymetrical as when a language spoken by a low status group gets displaced by the surrounding high-status language).

Once you have such a barrier in place, the mix of ideas floating around in the two communities will start to diverge: someone thinks of a new cool style of clothing/dance/way to conduct meetings/art form, which catches on in one group but does not spread to another.

Often people (particularly language preservationists) claim that having cultural diversity around is good in itself -- sometimes comparing to biological ecosystems. That may well be, but my feeling is that the benefit from that is often outweighed by the lack of adoption of new good ideas.

I guess my general philosophy is that we should look for what is good for individuals, not for cultures. In such a model, actions that are clearly destructive to a particular culture -- for example forcing parents to accept cochlear implants for their deaf children, or the Australian governments programs to make modern-day aboriginal society less patriarchical -- can none the less be good for individuals and the right thing to do.

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#10 | Back to Top03-31-2009 06:49:50 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

The selfish reason for caring about species going extinct is that, if they survive, we might learn something from them.  You always hear about the possibility of a miracle cure, but that's far from the only thing we might learn; other species have had just as much time to evolve interesting things as we've had to develop these ridiculously oversized brains of ours, so who knows what all is out there?

Similarly, one possible reason - certainly not the only one - for caring about cultures vanishing is that we of the (around here, anyway) dominant culture could still learn a lot from them.  I don't think I'm in a position to enumerate everything we could learn, but one thing that I find personally quite important is the ability to look critically at my own culture, and seeing what other alternatives are out there certainly helps with that.  (And this doesn't just mean finding things that are wrong with American/Western/whatever culture; it also means noticing what we've done really well and should strive to keep doing.)

Of course, we can still learn from extinct cultures, just as we can learn from extinct species, but it's harder.  And this isn't just because historical knowledge is lacking in details - for example, I found this article on cell phones and the Amish to be quite interesting, but it was only made possible because the Amish are still around.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#11 | Back to Top03-31-2009 06:52:42 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

SECONDED

Also: marmite. etc-love

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#12 | Back to Top03-31-2009 07:43:14 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

This reminds me of an essay I wrote for a sociology class in college which really got under the skin of my professor. (I earned an 'A' on it all the same. emot-keke) I don't have a copy of it, but because it was so fun to write, I still remember the main points I made:

-Not all cultures are equal, nor are different aspects of the same culture equal.

-Just because something is an aspect of culture does not mean it is positive nor does it have any right of continued existance.

-Aspects of any culture which are useful or beneficial should be adopted and retained as long as possible.

-Aspects of any culture which are useless or harmful should be eliminated immediately and unceremoniously.

Not everything deserves to perish. Human rights, individual freedoms, gender equality, sciences, arts, literature. These are aspects of many modern cultures and they are all definitely worth keeping. Even things like certain celebrations and festivals may have benefits such as creating enjoyment and bringing communities together, so many of those should be kept as well.

But other things should be tossed onto the ash heap of history. Slavery, genital mutilation, divine right of kings, animal cruelty, prejudice, spousal abuse, Fox News, and so on. Would you believe that some of these are stll part of certain societies' cultures today? It seems to me that in many cases, wickedness is only tolerated because of "tradition" and other meaningless cultural sanction.

I would argue, in fact, that we should not simply wait for those harmful practices to die, but instead actively kill them off.

A few last nitpicks:

Giovanna wrote:

The Chinese tended to busy themselves making history.

I would argue that *all* cultures are arrogant to some extent, not just ancient Rome or modern America. China is definitely no exception-- the very word for China (in Chinese) means "middle country" as they believed themselves to be "the center of the world" and surrounded only by barbarians. I would also argue that China has not produced anything of cultural relevance since gunpowder in the 12th century (but I would mainly argue that to piss off the People's Republic emot-tongue).

Tamago wrote:

Unfortunately, culture also is responsible for natto and fried twinkies. emot-gonk

#13 | Back to Top03-31-2009 10:26:20 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

OK, Tamago, Bluesky? There are easily half a dozen threads already where those sorts of comments would be appropriate. But I'm trying to have an actual discussion here. Nothing wrong with making jokes, but if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please keep it elsewhere.

Now, back to our talk. Asfa, you make several excellent points, as you so often do. It's true that if I saw my culture as under imminent threat of extinction, I might feel a little differently. On the other hand, there is a sort of cultural war going on at the moment, and I think my side is losing. For example, in 1999, 48% of Americans indicated they would never vote for an atheist. In 2007, that ratio had risen to 53%. Worrisome. And I can't say that I don't sympathize with people for whom this really is an immediate concern. I have a tendency to come on a little too strongly when I suspect people will disagree with me, I have to admit, and it seems to me that most people who are even aware of the issue are sort of on the other side of the fence from me. I don't mean to suggest that people should feel less about a culture dying than they do about people dying, which is often a terrible and painful thing. But.......that's how it is, and how it has to be. That's the point I was trying to raise.

Giovanna, you and I are on the same page here I think. I can happily spend days learning things about Harappan culture. But the fact that it's so dead that it's hard to even be sure what it was doesn't particularly trouble me. But I have to say I feel more like that about language too. You are right that there are unique concepts to each language, but....in the end, those concepts all have to go too. Part of the same process. I'm not saying that scholars shouldn't try to preserve these things, and I am certainly happy to come across neat little idioms in Ancient Hebrew, which is quite a bit more dead than Latin. Study is awesome. But....it goes away.

Pfft, I can't really argue with you. I am as I've said very attached to my cultural values and see nothing wrong with promoting them. But people in the hill country of Iraq would say the same thing about honor killings, so I try to be considerate of people who happen to be wrong. emot-tongue You also make an excellent point about where cultural diversity comes from, but I think it's more than what you said. No matter how many barriers to assimilation are removed, there will always be more. Hence, culture will never cease to diverge. And in that case, cultural diversity is something you only need to push for in context. Globally it's unavoidable. emot-keke

End of the Tour, are you aware that you just cited an Onion article? Thought I'd check.

Lastly, OP...I kind of agree with you, but.... I'm not quite so confident in my objectivity. In fact, I don't really believe in objectivity. I don't think I'm wrong to promote freedom of speech or whatever, but then I wouldn't would I? Of course, I'm still going to promote it. Not quite sure how to say what I'm trying to say there.

Last edited by Stormcrow (03-31-2009 10:26:32 PM)

-Truck North

#14 | Back to Top04-01-2009 01:29:25 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

On the subject of language.

We may all heard the idea that language to some extent shapes the users way of thinking, for instance in the novel 1984, the very reason the Inner Party wants everyone to speak and read in only Newspeak is that the ever shrinking nature of Newspeak would limit thinking and according to their theory, if there is no word like rebellion or freedom in the Newspeak language, it would be impossible to think them as ideas without any means of expressing them cannot exist let alone spread.

On that note, imagine if you were implanted with a different language and it was possible to make you think in that language instead of the one you think in now, would the very way you think about things changes?

X & Y are identical twins who tend to do things the same way.

X speaks, reads and thinks in English, then X has the Chinese language added to his mind but X still automatically thinks in English.

Y also speaks, reads and thinks in English, then Y has the Chinese language added to his mind but also his mind is rigged to think in Chinese.

X & Y can still understand English as well as they did before, but now that Y's mind thinks in Chinese, how different will Y become compared to X?

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#16 | Back to Top04-01-2009 09:20:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This is a fascinating discussion, and a poorly timed one, since I just got through with an LJ discussion in which I learned that someone who does not identify with a readily defined minority culture should never argue about culture with someone who does.  It is like an eighth grader arguing about God with a philosophy professor.  It doesn't matter who's right; the philosophy professor will win.

With that said, I did major in linguistics, so I'll comment on what I am qualified to comment on.

- It is well established that culture shapes language.  It is much less well established that language shapes culture.  Attempts to influence culture by changing language rarely succeed.  (The French Academy, the gender-neutral movement in English, etc.)  The chief exception comes when the way people hear a subject talked about influences their point of view on the subject -- if people hear "enhanced interrogation" enough times on the news they stop thinking of the Guantánamo Bay stuff as torture -- but this deals with the strategic deployment of language, not something fundamental to the language itself.  That is, there's nothing about English that makes it easy for its speakers to abridge people's human rights; once upon a time speakers of an English very like ours founded a nation on the principle that governments exist to protect human rights.

- We don't know whether it's possible for one language to express an idea that another simply cannot.  (In linguistics it's widely assumed, albeit without proof, that any concept expressible in one language is expressible in any language.)  Different languages do, however, express concepts more or less tersely.  Japanese has a seeming infinitude of words for what the weather is doing; it might take a couple sentences to get across in English what Japanese can express in a few syllables.  Conversely, English has an astonishing number of words for what light does -- shine, gleam, twinkle, beam, blaze, glimmer, glisten, shimmer, sheen, flare, glitter, glare, flash, glint, glow, flicker, sparkle -- and that's just the ones we've had since Beowulf's time, not even getting into the Latinate words we stole later like coruscate and scintillate and phosphoresce.  Each of these words means something just ever so slightly different.  Sand dunes shimmer but they do not normally glimmer.  If I say a wet road is glistening you get a different mental image than if I say it's twinkling.  Not all languages have so many subtle distinctions.  That doesn't mean they can't express the difference; they just can't all do it in one word.  If English died we wouldn't lose the ability to talk about the sheen of the enemy spears, but the alternatives might be less terse or poetic.

Now, I don't want to get too far away from culture, which is what this discussion is about; this is all just to set up my central point, which is that it's not clear that culture reflects language, and therefore saving a language does not mean saving a culture (though it might preserve traces of it).  If you somehow brought up a bunch of white Texans to speak Mandarin natively and then dropped them on some forgotten island, I'll wager the culture they'd develop would look a lot more like Dallas than Beijing.

#17 | Back to Top04-02-2009 07:42:29 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

That makes a lot of sense to me. I was just talking about language with a friend of mine recently and she claimed that only 50% of linguists accept language trees. Is there any truth to that? Sorry, off-topic.

As far as being able to describe the sheen of spears in more or less words goes, it seems to me that that does make a difference. It's pretty subtle, but I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I don't know that I'm sure it doesn't matter...I'm pretty ambivalent about a lot of things. But it seems to me that if I say something in two words, versus saying it in ten, I've expressed a different idea. You get a different sense from something that takes a lot of words to explain than you do from something that only takes one or two. So subtle, but.....something?

But yeah, I think your statement about the Texans makes a lot of sense. Of course, it's backed up by experts who have studied these things, so it's nice of me to tell them that, eh? I wonder if they would speak Mandarin with a twang... But to present the other side of the argument, if they had a word for pork bun, and a mental image of what that pork bun was, wouldn't that make them more likely to at least attempt to make one? Assuming there are pigs around? Where do you draw the line between the word for pork bun and the knowledge of what a pork bun is? The knowledge that it's steamed? I mean, knowing what a microwave is doesn't mean that the typical person knows much of anything about how it works...

-Truck North

#18 | Back to Top04-02-2009 08:23:21 AM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

Stormcrow wrote:

End of the Tour, are you aware that you just cited an Onion article? Thought I'd check.

Onion articles are basically my favorite sort of citation.  It's just a shame I can't actually cite them in papers.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#19 | Back to Top04-02-2009 09:24:42 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Well, many Polish writers who experienced war used to say (or are saying, because not everyone has died) that the war presented how fragile our culture is. They had a theory that after those crimes and horrible events words lost their meaning because they weren't strong enough to call things correctly. Culture was a base of humanity, it was perceived to be the oldest and the most solid part of European history. Philosphy and religion didn't prevent people from doing what they did. Few years destroyed 4 thousand years of substructures of our world. I wonder if it's true or not, but it's horrible to think that no matter how abundant culture is, there's still a risk of destroying it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm for preserving culture. Polish culture survived many hardships (Poles didn't have own territory for 123 years but managed to rebuild the country) and I appreciate this culture because of it. I'm just afraid it's more fragile than we think - not only cultures of small groups are endangered. I'm afraid that my language will vanish one day, you would be surprised how many people use Polish making mistakes every day. People are neglecting this and that's not so easy to find someone who always speaks correcly. (And I'm writing this in forein language, how ironic!)

satyreyes wrote:

Conversely, English has an astonishing number of words for what light does -- shine, gleam, twinkle, beam, blaze, glimmer, glisten, shimmer, sheen, flare, glitter, glare, flash, glint, glow, flicker, sparkle (...) Not all languages have so many subtle distinctions.  That doesn't mean they can't express the difference; they just can't all do it in one word.  If English died we wouldn't lose the ability to talk about the sheen of the enemy spears, but the alternatives might be less terse or poetic.

That's what I love in English. There's about 26 words for light actions such as shining. The English language has also more words that describe the way of looking than my first language. Fortunately we have many synonyms for expressing ugliness. emot-wink There's also possible to describe feelings such as 'bitter disappointment because someone didn't do sth well towards us, especially in a relationship'.  In fact, this word has three letters in Polish and it is popular! What's funny, we don't have a word for bubblemaker, despite the fact we do have them in shops.

Sorry, I had to make that offtop.

#20 | Back to Top04-02-2009 12:33:40 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

satyreyes wrote:

Now, I don't want to get too far away from culture, which is what this discussion is about; this is all just to set up my central point, which is that it's not clear that culture reflects language, and therefore saving a language does not mean saving a culture (though it might preserve traces of it).  If you somehow brought up a bunch of white Texans to speak Mandarin natively and then dropped them on some forgotten island, I'll wager the culture they'd develop would look a lot more like Dallas than Beijing.

As far as I know, one culture can be reflected in two languages, and it can still be considered the same one; and two cultures can share a language, and those cultures can be still very different. Not only language shapes culture (if it does shape it at all; but I assume it does); territory, politics and society do too. (Off-top thought: is it widely accepted that one society doesn't equal one culture?).
And yet, I'm inclined to think that the first line of loss of a culture is the language(s) its associated to, and thus it seems logical that language becomes the first area that will be defended. I'm actually guided more by feeling and intution as I'm writing this that I'm by actual reasoning; I cannot argue why I think language is the weakest point (or the most irrevocably changed one) in a so-called endangered culture, but this might be easily linked to personal context.

If you come to think of it, and forgive me my use of stereotypes, the first step in Americanization worldwide is not English, or democracy, or how well we got to recognize Obama's face (and how much European presidents are looking forward to have their photo taken with him emot-wink), but a McDonalds in every corner. It's no big deal, nor this alone will force any culture into disparition; it's just a highly visible display of globalization and spreading of symbolical elements.

dlaire wrote:

I'm afraid that my language will vanish one day, you would be surprised how many people use Polish making mistakes every day. People are neglecting this and that's not so easy to find someone who always speaks correcly. (And I'm writing this in forein language, how ironic!)

It is true that not using a language properly usually means an empoverishment of said language. I happen to be quite a grammar nazi (well, I'd say an inquisitor) when it comes to write something that will be read by others in a language that I consider I should be proficient in. I consider important to care about it (and it's also ironic that I'm writing this, while making uncountable spelling mistakes); and yet, I don't think a language is endangered because of such mistakes. Because languages are mutable, and they will evolve even if we don't want them to; what sets a language ready for death is substitution: when one language is no longer seen fit for communication, even between two people who are both speakers of said language (that could be, for example, the last step in a case of diglossia).

Back on track: Cultures, and languages, live and die after a more or less durable period of time. Nothing can prevent this from happening in the long run, but lots of people have the intention to elongate the life of their culture as much as it's possible to, for their own reasons (I exposed which one I think this reason is before, but I don't claim knowledge in this field). I think that the value of culture is not found in the aspects that constitute this or that culture, no matter how much we agree with or like them or approve of them in comparison with other cultural displays; but we should look for it in the fact that culture bounds individuals and societies and gives them a context from which to speak from. They say that culture is exclusively human; I wonder if actually humans would be operatively at all without culture. That said, nothing prevents us to find enjoyment in the knowledge of cultural displays of the culture we consider our own or others.

#21 | Back to Top04-02-2009 04:09:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

That makes a lot of sense to me. I was just talking about language with a friend of mine recently and she claimed that only 50% of linguists accept language trees. Is there any truth to that? Sorry, off-topic.

It's possible she meant that only 50% of linguists think that languages always develop along "family trees."  The empirical evidence for the descent of languages along the Indo-European language tree (ours) is pretty airtight, which proves that language trees can exist.  There are language families, though -- the languages of the Australian aborigines being one famous example -- where, if there is a tree at all, there has been so much cross-contamination among its "branches" that it is probably no longer possible to establish a genealogy.  So maybe not all language families develop in a vertical tree shape, or maybe they do but they develop horizontally too, and if the second component is strong enough it can overwhelm the first.

As far as being able to describe the sheen of spears in more or less words goes, it seems to me that that does make a difference. It's pretty subtle, but I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I don't know that I'm sure it doesn't matter...I'm pretty ambivalent about a lot of things. But it seems to me that if I say something in two words, versus saying it in ten, I've expressed a different idea. You get a different sense from something that takes a lot of words to explain than you do from something that only takes one or two. So subtle, but.....something?

Yeah, one of the things that bothers me about semantics (a subfield of linguistics dealing with denotative meaning) is that as far as they're concerned "THROW(Godzilla-subj, Megalon-obj)" means the same thing as "Godzilla throws Megalon."  It's a very rigorous way of thinking about literal meaning but completely fails to capture the pragmatic or cognitive aspects of meaning -- how we perceive and react to each utterance.  Those are separate subfields of linguistics.  So yes, if it took ten words to describe a sheen, that might very well change the meaning in the final sense.  But that doesn't mean that we couldn't perceive a sheen, only that we wouldn't precisely be able to talk about it.  I want to protect English's wonderful array of words for the sake of poetry, but if "sheen" were forever excised from our vocabulary, like "niggardly" has recently been because of its coincidental resemblance to an unsavory word, it's hard to imagine how English-speaking cultures would crumble.

[T]o present the other side of the argument, if they had a word for pork bun, and a mental image of what that pork bun was, wouldn't that make them more likely to at least attempt to make one? Assuming there are pigs around? Where do you draw the line between the word for pork bun and the knowledge of what a pork bun is? The knowledge that it's steamed? I mean, knowing what a microwave is doesn't mean that the typical person knows much of anything about how it works...

Mm, but you're sneakily introducing the idea that this community of Texan Mandarin speakers has been exposed to pork buns, since otherwise they'd have had no reason to learn the word, and perhaps has been exposed to the tenets of Confucianism, since otherwise they wouldn't know Mandarin words like xiao (roughly, filial piety) and so on... so implicitly you're saying that they haven't actually been brought up in white-Texan culture, but in some kind of white-Texan-hybrid-Beijing-Mandarin culture, in which case, yes, I'd expect them to be more likely to make pork buns and perhaps practice or meditate on Confucianism.  But if, like most people, this community only learns words for things it's actually been exposed to, then I wouldn't expect them to make pork buns or meditate on Confucianism.  You see, the language has nothing to do with it; the language only reflects the culture.

#22 | Back to Top04-02-2009 07:40:12 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Saving Native American languages
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7964016.stm

#23 | Back to Top04-02-2009 11:07:15 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Regarding the points talked about with the Chinese Texan thought experiment, and Mock Puppet's comments on how language affects thought, you guys might want to wiki the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is what this idea is.(I may have asked this before, but how do I do links, like, in the text rather than as an addition here)
  Basically, a lot of thinking was done about this when some guy back in the day claimed the Hopi language dealt with time in a more cyclical manner than English and therefore the Hopi must have a different conception of time.  TL:DR most people now buy the weak version that language and thought influence each other, but not the stronger claims that language determines thought.

#24 | Back to Top04-03-2009 12:49:36 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Duelist Megu wrote:

Regarding the points talked about with the Chinese Texan thought experiment, and Mock Puppet's comments on how language affects thought, you guys might want to wiki the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is what this idea is.(I may have asked this before, but how do I do links, like, in the text rather than as an addition here)
  Basically, a lot of thinking was done about this when some guy back in the day claimed the Hopi language dealt with time in a more cyclical manner than English and therefore the Hopi must have a different conception of time.  TL:DR most people now buy the weak version that language and thought influence each other, but not the stronger claims that language determines thought.

One of the difficulties of the hypothesis -- and really with many linguistic hypotheses, which is one reason I became disenchanted with the subject -- is that it is extraordinarily difficult to test.  Suppose it's true, for instance, that the many explicit levels of formality in the Japanese language inherently make Japanese speakers more status-conscious people; how do you prove that this is true, and that it's not the dominant Japanese culture that makes people status-conscious, with the Japanese language merely reflecting that?  We can't suddenly replace Japanese with English and see whether the Japanese become less formal people or whether English changes to incorporate levels of formality.  We can't do an study where the control island is ethnic Mandarin speakers and the experimental island is white Texans who speak fluent Mandarin.  Ultimately it's just throwing around a little circumstantial evidence, my intuition vs. your intuition, Lakoff's intuition vs. Pinker's intuition.  And that's annoying.  emot-frown

ETA: Megu, hyperlink text like this:

Code:

Read all about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis]here![/url]

becomes

Read all about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis here!

Last edited by satyreyes (04-03-2009 12:51:23 AM)

#25 | Back to Top04-03-2009 08:39:51 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

But if so many words can only exist in cultural context, then.......what about language? I mean, if you remove all the words that have necessary cultural context, then what's left? What words in Chinese would they know in this experiment?

-Truck North

Board footer