This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-15-2012 01:02:50 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Movie Title Mashup Thread

WHAT: The Movie Mashup Thread!
HOW: Combine two film titles that have an overlapping word, phrase, or word fragment, then make a plot summary that helps the other players guess the answer. (See examples)
WHY: It's fun?
WHEN: Do it now!
WHERE: In this thread.
WHO: YOU, THAT'S WHO!

Examples:

You post: "A band of scrappy Colorado high-school students take to the hills and fight the Russian and Cuban zombie horde which has invaded the United States."

The answer everyone is trying to guess: "Red Dawn Of the Dead"

More examples:

"The Beatles Fly to Los Angeles for Christmas, and end up trapped in a high-rise with a band of thieves posing as international terrorists."
(Die Hard Day's Night)

"Upon turning thirty years old, the citizens of a dystopia are forced to compete in a deadly game show, but there are whispers of an escape from death, a rumored city called Sanctuary."
(Logan's Running Man)

----------

Here's the first two challenges. Try to solve them and create and post your own!

A cyborg policeman from Old Detroit teaches a broken-down New Jersey sheriff what it means to be a real cop.

An intrepid investigative reporter and his stuttering computer-generated doppelganger struggle to come to grips with the breakdown of civilization in Australia, fight the Toecutter and his motorcycle gang, and avenge their slain family.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#2 | Back to Top06-15-2012 02:15:07 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: Movie Title Mashup Thread

First one: Robocop Out.

Second one: Mary & Mad Max?

A group of hippies on a small South Pacific island reenact the beginnings of the Jonfrum religion.

#3 | Back to Top06-15-2012 03:41:54 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Atropos wrote:

First one: Robocop Out.

Second one: Mary & Mad Max?

Half-right on both, I'm afraid.

A group of hippies on a small South Pacific island reenact the beginnings of the Jonfrum religion.

I'm stumped.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#4 | Back to Top06-16-2012 03:55:49 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Revised guess: Beverly Hills Robocop. (I was actually trying to forget about that one...)

#5 | Back to Top06-16-2012 10:39:24 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Atropos wrote:

Revised guess: Beverly Hills Robocop. (I was actually trying to forget about that one...)

I'm afraid not. Let me give you a clue for the half you're not getting:  Sylvester Stallone.

#6 | Back to Top06-16-2012 10:53:16 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I just want to suggest that usually in this game that the titles should lead directly into each other.

For example, Die Hard Day's Night and Red Dawn Of The Dead flow without an awkward juxtaposition, such as in Beverly Hills Robocop. Not saying it is always that way, but usually.

Something to consider when guessing or posting new mash-ups.

Last edited by Ashnod (06-16-2012 10:54:20 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#7 | Back to Top06-17-2012 01:46:35 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Guesses: #1 is Robocop Land.  No idea on #2.  #3 sounds like half of it (the Jonfrum half) should be The Gods Must Be Crazy, but I don't know the other half.  Nova, are Google and IMDB and so on allowed, or would you prefer we didn't use them?

#4 In this cult classic based on a musical by E.B. White, a family adopts a talking mouse and a talking plant.  When the plant demands to be fed blood, the grown-ups very sensibly feed it the annoying cat, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Last edited by satyreyes (06-17-2012 01:58:33 AM)

#8 | Back to Top06-17-2012 07:40:05 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

4. "Stuart Little Shop of Horrors".

Anyway, mine does not fall under what Ashnod said a few posts back, so...good luck!

Last edited by Atropos (06-17-2012 07:40:51 AM)

#9 | Back to Top06-17-2012 09:18:40 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

satyreyes wrote:

Guesses: #1 is Robocop Land.

You got it!

An intrepid investigative reporter and his stuttering computer-generated doppelganger struggle to come to grips with the breakdown of civilization in Australia, fight the Toecutter and his motorcycle gang, and avenge their slain family.

Clue: Matt Frewer

Search tools are allowed. I have no way to prevent it, really.

Antonio Banderas reluctantly joins a band of Vikings who battle a strange menace to their village: a psychotic killer with a hockey mask and a knife.

Last edited by Nova (06-17-2012 09:19:50 AM)

#10 | Back to Top06-17-2012 09:53:23 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

5. Friday the 13th Warrior

#11 | Back to Top06-17-2012 10:58:41 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Atropos wrote:

4. "Stuart Little Shop of Horrors".

Bingo!  emot-biggrin

Wikipedia indicates that #2 must be Mad Max Headroom, though it cautions that Max Headroom was only ever a TV movie.  emot-wink

#6 A witch curses a middle-aged prince to be sexually attracted to a high school cheerleader.  In one memorable scene, roses spill from the cheerleader's uniform, and the prince must win her love before all the roses wilt or be trapped under the witch's curse forever.

#12 | Back to Top06-17-2012 11:35:56 AM

Ashnod
Website

satyreyes wrote:

#6 A witch curses a middle-aged prince to be sexually attracted to a high school cheerleader.  In one memorable scene, roses spill from the cheerleader's uniform, and the prince must win her love before all the roses wilt or be trapped under the witch's curse forever.

American Beauty & the Beast?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#13 | Back to Top06-17-2012 11:42:23 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Atropos wrote:

5. Friday the 13th Warrior

Yep, you got it!

satyreyes wrote:

Wikipedia indicates that #2 must be Mad Max Headroom, though it cautions that Max Headroom was only ever a TV movie.  emot-wink

I could have sworn that it had a theatrical release in the UK, but I am probably wrong. Good catch! (And you got it.)

A young man trying to escape from thug life in Watts goes on a bloody killing spree to stop the blockade of the Trade Federation.

Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd find their positions in society reversed and they must struggle to make their cotton farm profitable in the midst of the Great Depression.

Last edited by Nova (06-17-2012 11:45:09 AM)

#14 | Back to Top06-17-2012 11:45:48 AM

Ashnod
Website

Nova wrote:

#7: A young man trying to escape from thug life in Watts goes on a bloody killing spree to stop the blockade of the Trade Federation.

#8: Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd find their positions in society reversed and they must struggle to make their cotton farm profitable in the midst of the Great Depression.

#7 is The Phantom Menace to Society.

Last edited by Ashnod (06-17-2012 11:46:35 AM)

#15 | Back to Top06-17-2012 11:54:06 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And #8 is Trading Places in the Heart.  emot-smile

Ashnod wrote:

American Beauty & the Beast?

That's the one!  emot-biggrin

#3 continues to bother me.  Is The Gods Must Be Crazy right for one of the halves, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I think Ashnod's rule is good for a default -- it certainly makes the game easier -- but there seem to be a lot of clever and funny possibilities that come from bending it.  I would suggest that we just make a note of it when the answer doesn't follow that rule, as a courtesy to solvers. emot-smile

#9 An impetuous amphibian develops a lust for dangerous motorcar rides in the postbellum South.  The other animals must contend with the deterioration of their plantation and society while preventing their friend from having a terrible accident.  The film ends with the frustrated rat walking out, delivering the classic line "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a squeak."

#16 | Back to Top06-17-2012 12:00:57 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Ashnod wrote:

Nova wrote:

#7: A young man trying to escape from thug life in Watts goes on a bloody killing spree to stop the blockade of the Trade Federation.
#7 is The Phantom Menace to Society.

You got it!

satyreyes wrote:

And #8 is Trading Places in the Heart.  emot-smile

You are correct!

I think Ashnod's rule is good for a default -- it certainly makes the game easier -- but there seem to be a lot of clever and funny possibilities that come from bending it.  I would suggest that we just make a note of it when the answer doesn't follow that rule, as a courtesy to solvers. emot-smile

Good thinking. I like this plan.

#9 An impetuous amphibian develops a lust for dangerous motorcar rides in the postbellum South.  The other animals must contend with the deterioration of their plantation and society while preventing their friend from having a terrible accident.  The film ends with the frustrated rat walking out, delivering the classic line "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a squeak."

Gone With the Wind in the Willows

I'll post a new one in a little while. I have to make lunch right now.

#17 | Back to Top06-17-2012 12:12:36 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

#10: Space aliens who have mistaken a human pre-history movie for a documentary come to earth to obtain the assistance of the cast of that movie in their hour of need.

#18 | Back to Top06-17-2012 12:15:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Except for the word "pre-history," you've just summarized the movie Galaxy Quest.  Hopefully someone can use that as a starting point. emot-smile

#19 | Back to Top06-17-2012 12:20:01 PM

Ashnod
Website

Nova wrote:

#10: Space aliens who have mistaken a human pre-history movie for a documentary come to earth to obtain the assistance of the cast of that movie in their hour of need.

10: Galaxy Quest For Fire?

Last edited by Ashnod (06-17-2012 12:20:16 PM)

#20 | Back to Top06-17-2012 12:21:47 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Ashnod wrote:

Nova wrote:

10: Galaxy Quest For Fire?

Win.

I'll post another after I eat this lunch. . .

#21 | Back to Top06-17-2012 01:22:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

#11 Not so fast, Lost Boys!  If you ever want to make it back to London and grow up, first you'll have to fight through my horde of Spanish Fascists!  But why is everything all arty and surreal?

#22 | Back to Top06-17-2012 01:32:45 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

satyreyes wrote:

#11 Not so fast, Lost Boys!  If you ever want to make it back to London and grow up, first you'll have to fight through my horde of Spanish Fascists!  But why is everything all arty and surreal?

Peter Pan's Labyrinth?

#12  A land owner and CIA agent from New England prevents the assassination of the Prince and Princess of Wales by Northern Irish terrorists while visiting London. Meanwhile on the other side of the Atlantic the English Army burns his farm. He fights the English and wins independence for the United States of America.

#23 | Back to Top06-17-2012 01:54:35 PM

Ashnod
Website

Nova wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Peter Pan's Labyrinth?

#12  A land owner and CIA agent from New England prevents the assassination of the Prince and Princess of Wales by Northern Irish terrorists while visiting London. Meanwhile on the other side of the Atlantic the English Army burns his farm. He fights the English and wins independence for the United States of America.

12: The Patriot Games

#24 | Back to Top06-17-2012 02:15:48 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

satyreyes wrote:

#3 continues to bother me.  Is The Gods Must Be Crazy right for one of the halves, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Yup!

#25 | Back to Top06-17-2012 06:45:06 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

13: Based on writer Susanna Kaysen's 18 month stay at Ohtori Acadamy. .(My friend came up with this one)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

Board footer