This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-29-2010 11:20:17 AM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

10 Questions For Utena Fans

Just a random thing I wanna start for fun etc-love You can answer as many of them as you like however you want-I'm just curious as to what the answers will be, so go nuts if you want! I'm answering them as well for fairness' sake.

1. Why did you start reading/watching Revolutionary Girl Utena?

My answer: Recommended to me by one of my camp counselors, strangely enough. Guess that's what happens when you go to gay summer camp...

2. Which character would you have sex with and why?

My answer: Probably Anthy, because she's freaking HAWT etc-love But I don't tend to think in those terms for anime characters (having actual sex with them, I mean).

3.Your favorite pairing and why!

My answer: Utena/Anthy, because it is AMAZING on so many levels etc-love etc-love

*Edit, to go more in depth on why*

(Firstly, I love the characters themselves and the way they complement each other; Despite her innocence and naivete, Utena's motivations are far more complex than even she can understand-partly due to forgetting the incident, but also because she sees the world in black and white and it seems her coming-of-age is learning to see the see the gray areas without giving up on her childish idealism and sense of righteousness. Anthy, on the other hand, knows all too well how blurred the lines of right and wrong can become, because she herself lives on that precipice-her brother, once a champion of good as Dios, became Akio after failing to save her and losing his power. Anthy does all that he asks of her because she has a small shred of hope that he'd become Dios again. Anthy is torn between the love she has for her brother and the love she has for Utena, and eventually must make the choice to cling to Dios' memory-to stay in her coffin-or move on and love again.)

*Wow, that actually makes me sound intelligent...*

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

My answer: Mug them for it >:3

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

My answer: Run around screaming lines from the Matrix. And laugh at the phallic tower.

6. What song do you think fits your favorite character/pairing?

My answer: Although I'm unsure of my favorite character, I think "Blackbird" by the Beatles fits Anthy perfectly. I also like the song "Disenchanted" by MCR for Utena/Anthy (Lame choices, I know...)

7. What would your dueling rose color be, and why?

My answer: Grey, because I fancy myself a misunderstood genius and the color evokes that imagery for me(Rats emot-biggrin ). Or purple maybe, since it's the color that shows up every time I put on a mood ring emot-rolleyes

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

My answer: A duelist, I suppose, because I'm a determinist.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

My answer: The Ruka/Juri/Shiori thing. Only I'm female and not terminally ill.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile? etc-saiowank

My answer: Well, they make me smile!

Last edited by CoffinBreaker (11-06-2010 09:07:11 AM)

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#2 | Back to Top10-29-2010 01:51:30 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Re: 10 Questions For Utena Fans

Because it was part of an anime cafe held at my high school and it seemed interesting, although ironically I didn't like it on the first view.

Eh...
Pretty much any of them save the elementary school students and Nanami.

Juri + Shiori + Ruka (not necessarily a pairing, per se, but I still love the group).

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

I'm not sure, but I would probably go to some lengths...

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

I would freaking die.  In a good way.  Being at Ohtori pretty much means a free banging by Akio, unless you're Kanae, of course.  xD

Probably Boats and Birds by Gregory & the Hawk.

Metallic sky blue.  Hell yeah.  I'd pick that only because it's my favorite color xD

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

Probably a duelist, I'd get sucked into the same mess.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

Jealousy and unrequited love.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saionji smile? etc-saiowank

Probably. ;)

#3 | Back to Top10-29-2010 03:10:59 PM

Saio
Ballgoer

1. Opening looked very romantic to me. A was right.

2. Kozue surely. She is most sexy in Utena universe for me.

3. Utena/Anthy for the same reason as first (thanks CoffinBreaker)

4.I surely will stole it from that person,

5.I'll try to find Kozue for sure.

6. Sorry , but there is no better answer, than "Toki ni Ai wa"

7. Unfortunately, black. But  this is my personal choice, non-connected to all this Nemuro staff...

8. Unfortunately, I am a prince.

9. Yea. Some times ago I had romance with Arisugawa in person.

10. Do not sure I understand this question in a proper way. Alll words are understandable. But it's something native english speakers (whom I am not) specifics.

Last edited by Saio (10-29-2010 03:12:13 PM)

http://s41.radikal.ru/i091/1101/bd/e015af0a91a1.png

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

#4 | Back to Top10-29-2010 07:53:04 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

August two-thousand eight.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8956/saionep37two.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5741/seriesep14052.jpg

Need I say more? etc-wankgirl Just look at 'em!

It used to be Touga/Saionji, but now it's princeshipping. Dios and Utena are the only ones who could see each other as equals. Who is as noble and courageous as him? Utena! Who loves and understands Anthy just as much as he? Utena! Who else would understand how hard it is to be a prince? Utena! Moreover, he would not try to make her into the soft and weak creature that Akio does.

First I'd ask what the catch was and then I'd say,"OMG OMG HOW MUCH??!!1ONE"

First I'd curl into the fetal position because I know what goes on there, and then I'd shrug and go watch Saionji practice kendo with his other fangirls.

Oooh, that's a tough one. I can't think of any other than his duel song Virtual Star Embryology.

It would be deep blue just because that's my favorite color.

I'm a rose bride because I will always be there to support my partner. People think brides are prisoners but they are needed, and since I can't fight I would want to provide some magical support.

My best friend and I have a friendship very similar to Utena and Anthy's. I was very mousy and kept to myself, so I was teased a lot. Fortunately she was always there to protect me. She's a tomboy like Utena is too.

Not unless they're cooked by or shaped like Anthy.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top10-29-2010 09:19:09 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Seeing various clips in AMV hell 3 and 4 made me curious, so I watched the series on a whim. I've been hooked ever since.

I will forever and always be hopelessly infatuated with Juri (etc-love) but seeing as how that's unpossible I'd have to go with a Akio + Kozue threesome. :3

...Lemme get back to you on that one. >.>

See above. >___>

Join the fencing club, of course. :3

Due to my introduction, I will forever see Akio as the Sex Machine, ala James Brown. XD

Probably black. For one, I've been wearing mostly black clothes for a long time now, so I would probably wear such a rose regardless of whether or not I went down a Mikage's Elevator. (But under the right circumstances, I could totally see that happening...)

Given my current life circumstances, most likely a rose bride. emot-frown (Did I mention I'm a guy? >.>)

Umm... see the above question. I find the coffin metaphor rather fitting for me atm.

As an above poster said, only if Anthy makes them. (Or perhaps even if he was only told Anthy made them, ala the cake in the saturn game XD)

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#6 | Back to Top10-29-2010 10:00:26 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I thought if I watched the series, the movie would make sense. Then I got hooked on all the analysis essays which required in depth re-watching of the series. 

Akio. It seems to be the status quo at Ohtori. Then Juri...

Saionji/Nanami seems like the only plausible pairing that seems remotely healthy, like they'd actually be good for each other. I like Anthy/Utena of course, its just easier for me to ship people that aren't sleeping around.  Of course, in both Nanami and Saionji's case, its because they're sexually stunted or something.

Aww...it'd be a video of Anthy and Utena rehabilitated and leading a happy little life, so I would scale walls, grab and run.

Hand out condoms, give safe sex talks, then allow myself to be the one night stand of either Akio or Touga, which is of course the initiation process. Or at least find a really good place to watch.

Clint eastwood by Gorillaz fits an Anthy and Akio personality narrative perfectly in my opinion. But there are a lot of other songs too, i.e. every song Sharnii has made a utena amv to.

hm... black, I'd totally be a black rose duelist. emot-wink

see above.

I think what's great about Utena is that there's such a wide variety of characters with their own distinctly wide range of drama that anyone can find themselves relating to.

If served by Touga in a humiliating fashion i.e. naked except for a pink frilly apron in front of a bunch of girls at school, maybe serving him while simultaneously sucking him off, while Anthy also begs to have him back with her own homemade waffles.

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#7 | Back to Top10-29-2010 10:19:46 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

My lesbian friend recommended it to me, even though she barely knew what it was. 

Saionji.  Because I could dominate him without him knowing it.

I don't have a favorite anymore.  As far as loving them together and believing that they are good for one another, it's Utena and Anthy, for the SEXYLIEKWOAH, it's Akio and Saionji (bonus mindfuckery and domination plays) and for the crack, it's Wakaba and Akio (sadness) and Shiori/Nanami because shut up.

Watch nothing but the arena ascension footage continuously for eight hours.

Everything that is possible to regret, and to not regret in the slightest. 

HEY HEY, YOU YOU

GET INTO MY CAR

(Akio/everyone)

Something very pale, that brings to mind art nouveau, like a antique beige or dusty pink or burnt orange.  For me, it would symbolize something old and once-sweet, which has now aged, or something that should be bright and joyful that is stagnant, reserved and dulled.  Something good that is seen (in this case, by me) and treated as horrible and is thusly both purposefully forgotten and secretly preserved.  Actually, go for that dusty pink. 

While I agree with Riri that real brides aren't weak or negative, feel that in the context of SKU rosebrides do carry very painful, very stagnant connotations.  I can see myself as one, because I constantly feel trapped by my desire to aid others at the cost of my real feelings or for the sake of companionship, all the while secretly hating or hurting them back in my own ways, or trapped by the roles and expectations society has for me as a woman, that come from both my family and America's gender norms and ideals for success.  But I also feel driven to fight these same things and people...so I can see myself as a duelist as well.  Though because I am far from noble and often easily manipulated, I may be more suited for a role as a BlackRose Duelist...and characters in the show often played more than one part.

I don't say prince because I don't believe in them, though if I had it in me, I would aspire to be what Utena became, a Revolutionary.

Rage, feelings of anomie and incredible depression at the thought how ephemeral and thus pointless life and all its good things were.  Conflict between what I want and who I want to be, and hypocrisy over being something for arbitrary, impersonal reasons.  Figuring out my identity as a woman, as a person, and as both at the same time in the face of wanting to defy socially constructed gender roles whilst still possessing some stereotypically feminine traits and desires of my own, and fearing that these gender constructs were defining me and my actions either directly or indirectly, before realizing that gender and ideas of femininity are not simply just fluid, but that being either masculine, or feminine, in or outside of a traditional sense, has nothing to do with whether or not you are weak or strong, nice or mean, smart or ignorant, creative or dull, honest with yourself or insincere, and that these are the qualities that matter and are worth thinking about and figuring out, and that any one time I am more than the sum of all these parts, including gender.  Learning to save myself. 

Yes, and then he shall challenge you to a waffle making contest.  I warn you though.  His cranberry-walnut waffle recipe is something fierce.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-30-2010 06:23:16 PM)

#8 | Back to Top10-30-2010 07:52:06 AM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

Wow, You guys are giving the best answers I could have hoped for etc-love

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#9 | Back to Top10-30-2010 12:47:52 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

It was aired on TV in my country in around 2001, I watched episode 4 or 5 and I was immediately hooked on to it, mainly because I mistook it was produced by Clamp. emot-redface Later, I found out my mistake but the story had already pulled me in.

Miss Juri, or Ruka will suffice. I believe Juri would be a great partner in bed when you can break her shell, and I feel it would be a great honor to be loved by Ruka.

It used to be Utena/Anthy, but recently I've changed my mind to Ruka/Juri for some reason unknown to me. Probably I like Juri and I want her to have the happiness she should deserve.

I would convert it to MP3 and store it on my memory stick, return the tape, then write a fanfic about it.

I would become a philosophy teacher, may even help out the Mikage seminars.

Prisoner of Love (translation here)would suit Ruka/Juri relationship very well. For my favorite character, Utena, I think Soshite Boku ni Dekiru KOTO would suit her character quite well.

Very pale green. Years ago I took a color test and I was classified as green. (True that green is my favorite color too.) I prefer pastel colors and so this is the result.

I am a dead prince
Revived by rose bride
From now on my dreams
Are shattered by beams
Of reality, and time and tide

Ok, enough rambling. I can see myself as a rose bride, because I WANT to be heartless and less emotional. I believe I can bear the million swords of hatred, actually.

There are so many. Take Nanami's cowbell as an example, there are dozens of customers acting exactly like that. They buy the stuff just for the name, and later they regret it because it was useless to them.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saionji smile?

Do you think he would smile if he is given the recipe and he could make it for Anthy? emot-tongue

Edit: typo

Last edited by Tenjou_sailorsaturn (10-31-2010 12:06:14 AM)

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#10 | Back to Top10-30-2010 01:58:49 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I live in New Zealand, and in 1998/1999 the only way I could lay my hands on anime in general was to have fandubs sent from the States. I found an American girl about my age who was very obliging about the whole thing, between the cost of postage and the complications of international money orders, and while I was watching my way through BSSM she got into SKU. I trusted her judgement, got the Black Rose Arc, and never looked back...

I'm fairly asexual, but I'd sure as hell let Akio take me for a ride. I mean...it's got to be an experience, yeah? school-devil

I don't really have a favourite pairing, as such (when I started watching I was all about the Mikage/Mamiya, but...that's not really what was going on there, ha ha ha). But if I really had to name one, I am totally about Saionji/Nanami. YES REALLY.

For a high-class SCANDALOUS VIDEO, I would bury movie!Akio in the rose garden. ...actually, I'd bury him anywhere. Just get me a shovel.

Sob relentlessly in the Nemuro Memorial Hall elevator, get kicked out, fall in the duelling arena fountain and drown mysteriously. After which I would haunt the East Dorm in an attempt to work out if I had been actually bi like I always thought or just a lesbian in complete denial about it.

Anika Moa's Flowers For You will always remind me of Anthy. Just...Anthy.

No more flowers for you
I could not sacrifice
And he's twisted along
And he's running down the road
To find his lost side
If it takes you away
I could ask you to stay
I can't change who I am
Be forgiven, understand
Does anyone want to reply?

My aura colour seems to be violet, so I suppose I'd have to go with that.

I honestly have no idea. I am elements of all of these things. In the end I'm probably more a duelist, but you never know what might happen...

Oh, God, probably. Let's just say the characters I identify with most are Anthy, Nanami and Mikage/Nemuro, and let your imagination run riot from there.

The waffles are a lie! There's no such thing as true waffles!

Last edited by Clarice (10-30-2010 02:43:30 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#11 | Back to Top10-30-2010 02:31:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

When I was a freshman in college, which was -- wow, a long time ago... -- a high school friend recommended it to me and sent me ultra-low-quality rips over AIM one episode at a time.  I opened episode 1 having basically no idea what it was; I'd only ever seen two anime before, Boogiepop Phantom and Excel Saga, so I didn't really know what "shoujo" meant.  I was just going on my friend's word.  Glad I did! emot-keke

Haha, we had a thread about this an eternity ago!  Utena was and remains my top choice, but only in the context of a relationship that she's comfortable in and whose boundaries she understands.  (And me too, for that matter!)  And, uh... assuming she's no longer fourteen.

Used to be Utena/Wakaba, and I stand by that pairing as a load of awesome, but I think these days I'd pick Wakaba/Saionji.  Post-series Saionji might even be ready for Wakaba, and you know Wakaba hasn't stopped being ready for him.  etc-love

I'd buy the remastered Black Rose Saga DVD where the tenderness that might be is already nicely captured on celluloid.  emot-smile

GTFO.  If I'm not allowed, try to bring it down from the inside.  I think there's a plotbunny in there somewhere, maybe starring Ruka or even Utena, where they try to systematically dismantle all the illusion.  The symbolism is a little off, since the great thing about SKU is how you ultimately have to cut through illusions yourself, but I imagine characters who weren't ready to hear the truth would simply not listen. emot-smile

Another topic we've had threads about -- at least for characters, though not yet for pairings!  I still like Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want" for late-series Utena and her relationship with Dios.  For Wakaba/Saionji -- and for Wakaba in general -- within the context of the series, I don't think there's any beating the pathos of Neil Halstead's "Hi-lo and Inbetween," which I hope you'll forgive me for quoting in part:

Years ago, I read a story about a man who had a plan.
Tied himself onto a balloon, yeah, cut the ties and tried to reach the moon.
Rescued by an airline pilot 15,000 feet above the world.
Dragged him down, they wished him luck, they hoped that he had learned his lesson well.

What could they say,
What could they say to make him feel okay?
What could they do,
What could they do to make him feel okay?

The beautiful thing about this stanza is that it works almost as well for Saionji as it does for Wakaba.

Brown, because I have brown hair.  I don't know why this is hard.  emot-rofl

There are no self-declared princes.  "Prince," in the good sense, is like "poet" or "master;" it's a title that you have to be given by someone else in order for it to mean something.  I don't care about very much with enough passion to be a duelist, but I see the world too vibrantly to be a rose bride.  If I had to pick among the three, I'd pick duelist, but I'm really more like a Tatsuya -- sort of an authentic but awkward asshole who's training not to be so much of an asshole, and whose destiny might be significant but doesn't really lie down royal roads.

The great resonant image of the movie: the Utena-car struggling to move forward against conveyor belts bearing it into the past.  I don't think I'm as strong as Utena and Anthy, but I don't think escaping from Ohtori is something you really do in half an hour, either, so maybe I can win by taking my strength where I can find it.

Not as such, no.  No waffles served to Saionji by any IHOP or other restaurant will make him smile, because he's either fault-finding or trying to figure out why he should pay for something he could have made in the waffle iron he keeps in his kendo locker.  It would take waffles made with love, by someone that Saionji cares for too, to make Saionji smile.  But in that case, why not skip the waffles and go straight to cuddlings?  emot-smile

#12 | Back to Top10-30-2010 06:29:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Clarice wrote:

The waffles are a lie! There's no such thing as true waffles!

sat wrote:

Brown, because I have brown hair.  I don't know why this is hard.

Okay. lolz.

#13 | Back to Top10-30-2010 11:34:50 PM

Amburger
New Student

It was onDemand like 3 or 4 years ago, and I wanted to watch some anime

Juri, then Akio. I think Juri would be very sweet in bed. And Akio, I mean come on now, look at him. I'm sure I'd feel terrible about it a few years later though

Anthy/Utena, they're just so lovely together

emot-redface Anythhhhiiiiing

I'd go have some fun with Akio

I think Vanessa-Mae's "Art of War" fits Juri so perfectly

Amber, because that's my name, I guess. I dunno! I want yellow, but Nanami already has that...

I don't think I'm strong enough to be any of those, I'm sure I'd crumble under the demands of all of them, although ideally I'd like to be a prince

Maybe Mitsuru's desire to be considered an adult. I'm the youngest in my family, so I feel like I'm never going to grow up in their eyes. It's a bit frustrating.

WAFFLES FROM ANTHY WOULD MAKE HIM SMILE

Last edited by Amburger (10-30-2010 11:36:22 PM)

#14 | Back to Top10-31-2010 01:25:01 AM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

My best friend started watching the anime back when it was On Demand, but was too impatient to wait for them to put up the finale episodes, so when she came to visit one afternoon we watched the last two episodes on youtube (I hadn't seen any of it at this point).  As the credits roll, she breaks into tears.  It was the first and only time I've ever seen her cry, and it was her incredibly emotional reaction that convinced me I HAD to watch Utena.

I think it'd be cool to be in the middle of an Utena/Anthy sandwich.

Juri/Shiori; the pairing actually helped me cope with a similar real-life situation.  Akio/Kozue and Utena/Anthy are close seconds though.

Cry, probably, because I don't have a VHS player.  For the DVD version, I'd take down a drug cartel.

Sell risque pictures of the duelists to their fangirls/boys etc-wankgirl  Or start a Burlesque Club.

Not the whole song, but these particular lines from Dream Theater's Octavarium seem to fit Anthy to a T:

Tortured insanity, smothered in Hell/
Try to break free but to no avail/
The calls of admirers who claim they adore/
Drain all your lifeblood while begging for more

Black.  Why?  Because it's F**KING METAL, that's why!

A rose bride right now.  Not that I'm happy about it emot-frown

See answer #3.  I've had my Saionji-esque moments of bitterness about false friends as well.

I think Clarice has already given the only valid answer to this question.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#15 | Back to Top10-31-2010 08:33:55 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Dear gods, I don't even effing remember. I remember a whole shit-ton of SKU-related memories, but as to how the fixation actually got started...I believe it was when I figured, "YES, SKU represents all these other people, but it can't possibly include ME..." and then it goes to prove me an utter dipshit. javascript:insert_text('emot-mad',%20'');

I'm not innocent enough to say Miki or Saionji, nor liberated enough to say Akio or Touga. Wakaba, because she has that perfect blend of "normalcy" and "genki" open curiosity. Call it subliminal...I have many lady friends from Tokyo and so many are curious about same-sex affairs while still being traditionally (Japanese) gender-conforming. Somehow it's a fetish of mine.

At this particular moment...gotta sat Wakaba/anyone but Saionji. I know that the latter is her default pairing, but seriously. I would bonk the shit out of Wakaba and I'm offended that no in the series takes the good time to do so.

Nothing. I have my own twisted mind to supplement.

Be initially excited, but eventually have my spirits crushed when I come to the conclusion I'm just another Ohtori peon.

"Baby Got Back" because that would fucking amuse me, and thus awaken my ladyparts.

Dark brown, or deep rust red. I have no idea why. It just seems to fit.

It depends on the person involved. When someone is close to me, I'd do anything to protect my ideal of them, so I suppose I'd be fairly princely. Otherwise, I'd be a duelist. I'm pointlessly philosophical so it'd be a perfect fit

Akio/Kanae because there was no actual sexual attraction whatsoever in my dynamic.

If you cooked them just for him after a particularly volatile dynamic that made him doubt his self-worth.

Last edited by Katzenklavier (10-31-2010 08:38:20 AM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#16 | Back to Top11-01-2010 10:11:35 PM

MsDevin92
Wakaba Wrangler

1.  It was mostly a combination of a friend recommending it, a kickass AMV on Youtube, and the thought that a series with so many delicious spoilers on TvTropes was worth seeing.  (Yes, I'm a self-spoiler.  Shame on me!)

2.  ...Juri.  Gosh darn it, why does she have this effect on me?  Sorry, Himemiya.  As for Akio, he probably has a disease or something, I'm not taking my chances.

3.  Obligatory Utena/Anthy OTPer here.  I think it's because I have a real soft spot for hurt/heal fluff, which is pretty much all of their chemistry.  Of course, I also find it hard to argue with canon, so the finale topped it off for me.

4.  Well, since it's being offered to me, I just have to accept it don't I? ;)

5.  Find some way to join the Kashira Playhouse.  Not only are they the most hilarious people on the show, it's pretty much the only thing you could do in Ohtori that wouldn't get you manipulated (the Utenaverse is no bed of roses after all.  Ba-dum-psh).

6.  I have a couple: "When You Were Young" by the Killers, and "I Hide Myself" by Eric Whitacre/Birmingham Young University choir for Utena/Anthy; "Angels" by Within Temptation for Akio/Anthy; "Addicted" by Kelly Clarkson for Shiori/Juri.

7.  Purple!  I'm incredibly mad that the purple roses got delegated to second-status border decoration.  Not to mention it's my favorite color.  ...And because I had a thing for Zero from SD Gundam Force when I was younger.

8.  I think I'd have to say Rose Bride on this.  Most of it is for personal matters, but for the most part I'm not sure how much I want to change what I have now.  It's not all for the dress, I swear.

9.  Ever since I've watched Utena, I can't stop seeing my younger brothers' rivalry like the one between Touga and Saionji.  Minus all the sleeping around.

10.  Only if he can slap them.  Just don't tell him an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet isn't eternal, either.

#17 | Back to Top11-02-2010 05:09:49 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

I saw it on the library shelf when i was little, and i thought the name was really cool x3(it was the the manga i saw) and then after the first couple books i noticed the vhs tapes too, and the rest is history xD

Akio, Ruka and Nemuro. 'cause they're hot:D

when i was little, my mind was sooo deluted (sp D: ) by shojo manga, after i read the first chapter i thought it would be a dios/utena love story(like, she went to find him/fought to see him/happily ever after.). xD (the prologue.). and then i began to understand it more and more now it's hard to imagine it but...a little sliver inside me still thinks it would be cute xD (is dios wasnt akio, of course emot-aaa)

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?My

god only knows... xD

go find akio xD

hmm....i don't know emot-aaa

blue

duelist

a not as self distructive feeling that juri has.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile?

yes? XD

#18 | Back to Top11-02-2010 07:49:57 PM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

Actually, because I went to a summer music camp in 2005, I met these two girls who were dating. We all liked anime/manga/etc, so they highly recommended it to me. As soon as I got home, I ordered the DVDs and it all went from there! I read the manga afterwards.

Oh, Utena definitely. If I were straight through, I'd definitely bang Akio. Mmm.

This is a really difficult question for me, but I think it's because I could technically pair Utena with ANYONE and it would work.  I think I'll go with UtenaxAnthy because it's gorgeous, but I think UtenaxAkio is my runner-up. Three-some anyone?

Anything they want. Anything at all. ;_;

Immediately proclaim my love for Utena and try to gain her attention.

Snow Patrol - Signal Fire. I didn't get into the song into recently, since I don't really listen to the band, but I adore this song, and I love how it fits with Utena and Anthy~

Grey, because it's kind of ambiguous. It can be light grey or dark grey, and basically any shade in between. I'm just sort of wishy-washy like that. It's also my favorite color.

Probably a rose bride. There was a time in my life where I probably would have said prince, but I think I can say rose bride now.

Actually I can identify with Utena pretty well, in terms of her complex relationships with everyone, like who does she really love? What is she really trying to accomplish by saving someone else? Et cetera.

The only thing makin' Saiyonji smile is smacking bitches around.

#19 | Back to Top11-02-2010 09:09:53 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

It was recommended to me by a friend of mine in New York in 2006. I, too, remembered seeing clips of Utena in the AMV Hell movies, so after she told me about it I decided to check it out. emot-smile The rest is history.

Do I have to pick just one person? <.< If so, then I choose Saionji, for obvious reasons. etc-love

Just about any pairing involving Saionji. emot-tongue Akio/Saionji is my new favorite these days, though.

I'd probably try to pay them or trade something for it.

I'd be totally ecstatic for the first 5 hours or so. Then I'd start to panic because I don't know how to leave. XD

Saionji's my favorite and one of the songs that makes me think of him is a song called So Cold by the band Crossfade.

Black rose, baby. cool It's my thing. 

I can't be a student? They seem to have easier lives... <.< Duelist then, I guess.

Hmm, I've been treated poorly by good friend before...

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile?

Uhh... o.o Perhaps in private.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#20 | Back to Top11-02-2010 11:22:28 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Oh...are these...hidden...waffles? Like a hidden...love?

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#21 | Back to Top11-02-2010 11:49:00 PM

Aquamarine
New Student

I read a review in an anime magazine, they said it was "Evangelion's successor" , I never liked Evangelion but I got curious of why they'd say that

Anthy Himemiya, because as the OP said, she's just so hot and.. mature and her voice is so sensual.

Utena/Anthy, because they complete each other. They're really different, but that difference is what completes what the other lack.

I'd offer to pay for it >_>;

Look for Himemiya... try to make friends with Chuchu. Just observe around.

Wonder wall by oasis.

Risking sounding cocky.. I'd say white. Why? Because of white meaning naivety.

A prince... I'm always rescuing girls, even after I promised myself I'd quit doing so, I just end up doing it again and again.

I have my own IRL Himemiya (shy, quiet, mysterious, only good with animals) and I react/reacted pretty much like Utena did. I tried to rescue her, I denied my feelings for her (self denial). She's a person who like Himemiya ... is in a coffin. So, two months ago, I decided to risk everything and go and look for her to at least open her coffin a bit .. "I'll go like Utena went to the revolution duel! for friendship's sake!" and.. I got the same exact result that Utena got emot-rofl  (last part of episode 38 ) emot-tongue ... I even did the "ask a relative to save her " thing >_>;; ...
Assuming Utena is assuming!
But yeah, we do complete the other as Utena and Anthy do. Even in the color contrast.

If Anthy made them

#22 | Back to Top11-03-2010 12:05:21 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Clarice wrote:

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Oh...are these...hidden...waffles? Like a hidden...love?

Private as in... when he's at his dorm.. or whatever he lives in on campus.  XD

As if stone-faced Saionji would let OUTSIDERS see him smile over a waffle. emot-tongue

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#23 | Back to Top11-03-2010 11:15:47 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Many years ago, when I was just a young girl in love with Sailor Moon, I heard that Ikuhara (who had directed Sailor Moon R, arguably one of the best installments) had another project in which he had more control. According to several descriptions, the series was comparable to SM, but it was significantly darker. I didn't look much further into it than some videos and reviews and such,  but then I stumbled upon the first two seasons at shop that is unfortunately closed now. The first arc was interesting, but I wasn't quite convinced that it was as "deep and symbolic" as I'd heard. Then I watched the Black Rose Saga-- and to quote Clarice, I never looked book.

I am apprehensive about saying Shiori, because I feel like she could really swing in either direction-- being dominant or submissive-- so I'm not exactly sure how to approach that. I'd really like to sit in a bathtub with her back against my chest as I rub her shoulders. Can-- can we substitute that for sex? emot-rofl

Although I pick fun, seeing Juri and Shiori enter a healthy, supportive, stable friendship that may slowly break down the relationship barriers is a secret desire of mine. I just don't want them to rush or force it, because it could shatter more quickly than almost any other relationship. First and foremost, I just want them to be friends again, and I want that mutual adoration to develop in a warm and loving environment. Since no part of that statement applies to them for the greater portion of the series, I'm not sure I can call it my favorite in canon.

I'm a big fan of the potential dynamic between Kozue and Shiori. I was also swayed by the short scene between Kozue and Nanami. If I think about it, I ship Kozue with everyone.

Whatever I have to do. Rob a bank, burn down a house, slap a rabbi.

Try to remain calm and keep my head down. I mean, the students not involved with the main cast don't seem too psychologically traumatized.

The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails is my go-to Shiori song. I cannot hear it without thinking of her, and when I think of her, I often hear it. However, a good portion of it refers more to my perception of her than the common perception of her, so this is pretty biased. I suppose, if you think about it, it could be considered Juri/Shiori song in certain parts. It's mainly a Dollface/Shiori song, though. emot-rofl

Ahahahaha, as Satyr pointed out-- gotta match the hair! In that case, mine would be black, which hopefully makes me an awesome Black Rose Duelist. cool

In reference to the above answer, I think I would be a Black Rose Duelist for reasons that don't concern my hair. (Although that may be a contributing factor.) I feel that the BRDuelists have the passion of normal duelists, and like them, they fight for selfish reasons. They're often portrayed as the dark, evil duelists, but from a strict standpoint, they're no worse off than pretty much everyone but Utena (and even Utena falls into this at times.) They're not trying to help Anthy or save the world, they're looking for power/peace of mind/truth/sustenance/eternity-- things to make their world and their lives better. I'm not pointing fingers or calling them bad people, I'm simply stating that the "good guys" even admit that they're fighting to gain something for themselves, and revolutionizing the world just means fixing it to their liking. The BRDuelists were a little more misguided, in that they didn't consciously have the confidence to harness that power, to stand up with a sword and declare that they were going to take action. Somewhere inside they wanted it, somewhere inside they had that power, but they had to be coached there. Ultimately, no matter what role you're playing in Ohtori, someone else is pulling your strings; I think the real difference between the Student Council and their less-colorful counterparts is what mask they're putting up. Obviously the Council members all have masks of their own, but they are still very different from the masks of the BRD. Were I a student at Ohtori, I think I'd put up the type of facade that makes me seem harmless, downplaying my troubles and weaknesses while still attempting to appear unburdened by this life. A nice elevator ride and a room full of caskets should break it.

No particular scene comes to mind, but I think many of the overall themes are applicable to maturity in general. Through all the fairytales and mindfucks, I'll always view SKU as a coming-of-age story told in an unconventional way.

Is... is Saionji capable of smiling? Do his facial muscles even recognize that particular movement? I think anything longer than a fleeting grin would cause a severe cramp.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#24 | Back to Top11-03-2010 11:40:12 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

dollface wrote:

Do his facial muscles even recognize that particular movement? I think anything longer than a fleeting grin would cause a severe cramp.

I lol'ed. This makes my day.emot-biggrin

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#25 | Back to Top11-03-2010 11:48:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/saionji-smiles-1.png

Edited for waffles

Last edited by satyreyes (11-03-2010 11:52:37 PM)

Board footer