This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-15-2009 06:39:26 AM

Adolescencedoll
New Student

The drama club

i so love the shadow girls and their plays.
which one is your most favorite?

i can't really say because i love them all!emot-tongue

...waiting on my prince.

#2 | Back to Top07-15-2009 02:29:59 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: The drama club

My favorite is [both] of the plays on episode 8 dealing with the concept of divine justice.  Especially in that the concept only somewhat fits the events of the episode if you see the body switching as a misfortune though I will argue that it's actually a good thing in Anthy's case (though not so great for Utena.).

#3 | Back to Top07-15-2009 04:28:50 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My favorite play is definitely the one with the sailor catching the mermaid because it shows that Touga is finally capable of loving someone.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top07-15-2009 05:59:32 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I love the one with the mantis and the butterfly chasing each other, then insecticide (or air freshener whatever) sprays them and kills them.  The chasing always makes me laugh.

Oh!  And the other one that makes me laugh is the monkey chasing robot.  Haha.

#5 | Back to Top07-15-2009 06:01:52 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

The play before the last episode is pretty funny as well.  I also like the one for ep 22 because you think it's another funny play and it somehow becomes so sad.

#6 | Back to Top07-15-2009 07:38:49 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

I haven't seen every episode yet (gasp! I'm halfway through the Akio Arc), so I'm not sure and I can't remember them all. I like how some are silly and some are serious, but they always have a point and reveal something about the characters in the episode.

All of C-ko's are totally wacky. I like how resourceful she is to do them by herself (then again, she probably isn't quite human), and I love the one-liners that Utena or another character always give to her.

I actually like the ones from episodes 3 and 4 a lot, because they're easy to understand and they make a good general point as well as one about the characters. The one from episode 9 was really poignant and one of the sadder ones, and it made Saionji more sympathetic to me. Episode 12 might actually be about the shadow girls themselves, which is a rarity, so I like it for that reason, but I guess it might also be about Anthy.

They're just too awesome, and my favorite characters, so I'll have to watch the episodes again sometime to really decide.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#7 | Back to Top07-15-2009 09:16:29 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Riri-kins wrote:

My favorite play is definitely the one with the sailor catching the mermaid because it shows that Touga is finally capable of loving someone.

I thought that merely symbolized the fact that Touga was only interested in Utena for being, I think as Gio puts it, the 'first fish not to jump on his hook'.  At that point in the series, he only wanted Utena because he couldn't have her.  She goes in way super awesome further detail on his motives concerning both Utena, Anthy and revolution and his own ego during the first and second duel against Utena here.

I myself have some thoughts on Touga's feelings for and attitude towards Utena in his last duel, something I am hoping to turn in to a full-blown essay (HOW MANY TIOMESHAVE WE HEARD THAT, HMM?). 

wtf I don't even like Touga.

#8 | Back to Top07-16-2009 09:07:32 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I don't like the shadow plays much emot-biggrin but I'm trying to develop a greater appreciation for them as I watch the series again, and trying to figure them out more.

The one shadow play I do love though is when Akio, Anthy and Utena are watching the play put on by the shadow girls. The play that basically tells the truth about the prince, and the witch (I DIG when the sister's nose falls off to reveal the witch!), and the witch caging the prince, and how the witch is still out there in the world. Cue camera panning over Akio's languid eyes, Utena's stupid but happy expression (as she sits in the middle lol), and Anthy's big very fake smile (somehow filled with pain in my slightly biased opinion).

Mmmmmm shadow plays that tell it like it is. Or at least tell a version of how it might be. Nice. school-eng101

#9 | Back to Top07-17-2009 11:55:09 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

My favorite shadow play is the one from Nanami's Egg, where the Shadow Girls take the idea, "things are only impossible because we think they're impossible" to it's logical conclusion, and then it goes completely off into wacky land with the egg coming to life and squirming away.  The image of the jiggly, stick legged egg running off the wall is one of my favorite things in that episode emot-biggrin

The play from Thorns of Death is another favorite.  The little devil Shadow Girl cackling, "but most people don't wear three pairs at once!" about the woolen underwear cracks me up.  Personally, I think the funny Shadow Plays are the best ones.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#10 | Back to Top07-18-2009 09:19:26 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Has anyone else had the sneaking suspicion that the Shadow Play Girls are behind everything in SKU?

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#11 | Back to Top07-18-2009 09:45:41 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

YostinAust wrote:

Has anyone else had the sneaking suspicion that the Shadow Play Girls are behind everything in SKU?

Of course!  One of my many theories about them is that they're the Gods of the SKUniverse, and take delight in screwing with everyone.  Look at how Akio reacts to them during the play in episode 34; he knows their secret, man.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#12 | Back to Top07-18-2009 10:28:34 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Oh yes. In fact, i like to think of them as the Fates of all anime, stringing plots and worlds along in order to do...stuff. But they are seriously spooky. especially the command center in the movie.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Board footer