This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#601 | Back to Top12-03-2011 04:02:12 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum: Or, YOU WILL BE SPOILED

Incredible episode. So many twists I didn't see coming.

#602 | Back to Top12-03-2011 08:43:01 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Kanba's family

Hmmm... based on the preview for next episode, it sounds like [it's gonna be more about Natsume's past, so I'll bet we'll know more about Kanba before becoming a Takakura.]

Thing is though, in the [flashback scene after the ED, Kanba's biological father seemed to have considered Kanba a failure, and regretted to have "chosen" him. Maybe that's the main reason why Kanba decided to abandon everything from his original family to be with Takakura instead of staying at the mansion with his real siblings.]

Also, regarding Sanetoshi... [Looks like we've come to know a bit more about his relation with Momoka... if this is what I think it is, and I'm probably wrong... Maybe Himari IS Momoka's reincarnation, and he's there to be Himari's doctor in order to screw with her life. But the thing is... it seemed that Momoka and Kiga group are trying to save the world from its eternal torment of having to "choose" while sending everyone else into child broiler. Shouldn't that make them allies?]

Last edited by Hiraku (12-03-2011 08:53:05 PM)

#603 | Back to Top12-03-2011 11:23:52 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Questions addressed this episode (21)...

- Who is Sanetoshi?  What is the project, begun by the Takakura adults, that Sanetoshi wants to finish?
- Where is Momoka?  What exactly happened on the day of the sarin attack?

[If we take this episode at its word, Sanetoshi is a former medical research assistant who joined Kiga and gained a high leadership position.  He was directly involved with the attack, which -- even though it was catastrophic -- somehow failed to achieve its unidentified intended ends because of Momoka's intervention.  This is the project he wants to finish.  He is also probably dead, but that doesn't seem to be stopping him.]

- Where did Tabuki go?

[He stayed on the trail of the Takakura adults, who he still wants vengeance on.  He seemed relieved to discover that Kenzan is already dead.  Then someone got stabbed; it's probably Tabuki, since his character doesn't have any more conflicts outstanding.]

- How is Kanba making money -- is he doing anything, or just taking it from the Takakuras' organization?

[It's not clear whether Kanba has been doing anything specific, but the money seems to be for the purpose of making him dependent on Kiga and its agenda.]

- What is Pingcorp?

[Kiga, formerly Pingcorp, seems to have passed from the Natsumes' hands into the Takakuras' in the past.  But it can't be Takakuras' organization anymore -- or at least not Kenzan's.  It might be Kanba's own, it might be Sanetoshi's, or it might be Ms. Takakura's if she's still alive.]

- Are Kanba and Himari related?  Kanba and Shouma?  Are the Takakura adults related to any of their three wards?  What about Ringo?

[Our best understanding is still that Kanba is a biological Natsume, Shouma a Takakura, and Himari someone else.  But Kanba's father's last words cast doubt on whether Kanba is really a Natsume, and we still have no idea where Himari came from.  The idea that they might all still be biological siblings is not yet categorically ruled out.]

A note on the title.  The title of the episode is 僕たちが選ぶ運命のドア, "bokutachi ga erabu unmei no doa," which is translated as "The Door of Fate We Chose."  The translation is correct but ambiguous; I misunderstood it and thought we chose a door of fate.  In fact, what we chose is a fate, and this is the door that belongs to that fate.  The episode might less ambiguously be called, "The Door of the Fate We Chose."

ETA: Hell, now that I look at it again, there's not even any reason to think that the choosing happened in the past.  Japanese has a way to express that, and it's not used here; this is an unwarranted assumption on the part of the translator.  The better title would be "The Door of the Fate We Choose."

Last edited by satyreyes (12-04-2011 12:22:34 AM)

#604 | Back to Top12-03-2011 11:40:54 PM

Macky
Wakaba Wrangler

satyreyes wrote:

- What is Pingcorp?

[Kiga, formerly Pingcorp, seems to have passed from the Natsumes' hands into the Takakuras' in the past.  But it can't be Takakuras' organization anymore -- or at least not Kenzan's.  It might be Kanba's own, it might be Sanetoshi's, or it might be Ms. Takakura's if she's still alive.]

[Ms. Takakura is dead, her body is next to Kenzan's]

Without a care in the world you use the special gifts you were born with and without a second thought trample the rest of us!

#605 | Back to Top12-04-2011 12:23:03 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Macky wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

- What is Pingcorp?

[Ms. Takakura is dead, her body is next to Kenzan's]

Thanks for the heads-up.  One less loose end.  school-sherlock

#606 | Back to Top12-04-2011 01:13:06 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

One more question is being raised, though...

[How does Kiga Group manage its minions? I have a feeling that they were the ones who actually killed Kenzan and Chiemi.

Natsume at one point begged Kanba not to follow them because "They'll toss you aside just as they did her father". Were their father killed because he was deemed unfit to be "chosen"?

If that is the case... how is Kiga any different from the rest of the world, who also discards "unnecessary" things?

I'm already making a huge stretch as to what's going on, so hopefully, Natsume's past in the next episode (hopefully it will be about her) will shed light upon the nature of the organization
]

#607 | Back to Top12-04-2011 03:29:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

With only three episodes to go, I think we're past the point where we can have episodes that are "about" any one character, let alone a side character like Masako.  I do think it's a good bet that the episode will contain flashbacks on the Natsume family that will illuminate the pasts of Masako, Mario, Kanba, and their father.  But it can't happen at the expense of action in the present.  We know the central conflict of the plot -- whether the brothers will be able to save Himari from her illness and/or preserve their family -- but we have come this far without a good idea what kind of climax we're building towards.  Most likely it will involve whatever Kiga is plotting, but we have scarcely any idea what that is or how it relates to Himari, the Penguindrum, or anything else.  The next episode will have to frame this final conflict in terms of the stakes that the previous 21 episodes have established.

Last edited by satyreyes (12-04-2011 03:31:02 PM)

#608 | Back to Top12-05-2011 06:39:28 AM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

OITL called it. That teddy bear is going to get torn open again at the climax. The bear's importance has been obvious since it started appearing in the OP, but now its significance in the kids' past is clear. I think the bear is like the frayed corner of the illusion that Shouma and Kanba built for Himari - the one part of her 'dollhouse' that was imperfectly formed. The brightly-colored house always struck me as a sort of 'sunlit garden', a state of childish innocence that the characters had trouble leaving behind.

One question that remains - Yuri is seemingly dead by the Kiga assassin's knife, so what will become of the diary? Will Masako be able to get the other half? Does Himari need it to repeat whatever Momoka did 16 years ago?

#609 | Back to Top12-05-2011 10:17:58 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

Delurked

While strolling the internetz, I found out on Tomopop that they're releasing 1/10 scale Himari and Princess of the Crystal (they named her that). The pose is much the same, but penguin 3. is with Himari and Penguin 1. with the princess. Wut does that mean!?

At about 15 cm each, they're selling for 3800 yen. It will be released in June/July next year.

I'm pretty meh about it. Why swimsuits?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/randamonian/untitled-4.png

Anyway, come Wonderfest, sculptors will bring out their kits for sale. That's where all the cool stuff comes from. I'm hoping Mawaru Penguindrum will be popular enough to warrant alot of kits. Particularly of the Takakura boys.

#610 | Back to Top12-06-2011 12:20:41 AM

Rose Rust
Juri Jeerer
Website

Why swimsuits you ask...?

Probably to appeal to the fanboys. >.>;

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n231/jazzknh/thAnthyHimemiya.gif

#611 | Back to Top12-06-2011 01:52:45 AM

Sakura Rurouni
Saionji Slapper

I like the clocks throughout this episode. We had stopped, unmoving clocks (in the bar) or rewound (at the Takakura house). The very last one we saw [you know, the one the tabloid reporter was wearing after Kanba arranged his death] was stopped-- which should probably be seen as Kanba's decisive turn to his mindset of being trapped in the past.

Trapped in the past. Because that always turns out SO well in Ikuhara's work. emot-rolleyes

Last edited by Sakura Rurouni (12-06-2011 01:53:14 AM)

La blessure traverse mon cœur
Et j'ai-- la joie dans la douleur
Je m'enivre de ce poison
À en perdre la raison

#612 | Back to Top12-06-2011 04:37:31 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Rose Rust wrote:

Maybe also because the show is aquatic themed? Don't forget they have tons of pictures up with them going to the beach as kids.

#613 | Back to Top12-06-2011 04:42:08 AM

Seen
Mikage Mistruster

I'm REALLY starting to hate Kanba as of right now. As interesting as everything else going on right now is, my hatred is eclipsing most of it.

Last edited by Seen (12-06-2011 04:42:32 AM)

#614 | Back to Top12-06-2011 08:15:12 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Why hate? O_o;

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#615 | Back to Top12-06-2011 08:16:44 AM

Makubi
Touga Topper

Syora wrote:

Rose Rust wrote:

Maybe also because the show is aquatic themed? Don't forget they have tons of pictures up with them going to the beach as kids.

Swimsuit models does tend to be a Fanboy Appeal thing as well as being a general trope apparently. I'm not really into figurines myself, but I don't understand why they didn't go for the Crystal Princess' regular outfit, I mean, parts of it are just as revealing emot-rolleyes

And does the closeup of Kenzan's namebadge also count as a Shout out?

That shot of Himari on the boxes at the end of the episode also reminded me of the shot of her on the apple in the 2nd opening.

Last edited by Makubi (12-06-2011 08:17:13 AM)

#616 | Back to Top12-06-2011 11:24:22 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I have a confession to make. I'm in love...with Himari's coat. emot-redface It just looks so fluffy and snuggly. I hope she leaves it on for a while in the next episode.  And that she gives Kanba a hug while she's wearing it.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-06-2011 11:31:34 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#617 | Back to Top12-06-2011 11:37:57 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

I have a confession to make. I'm in love...with Himari's coat. emot-redface It just looks so fluffy and snuggly. I hope she leaves it on for a while in the next episode.  And that she gives Kanba a hug while she's wearing it.

Even if not, there'll always be fanart emot-smile

#618 | Back to Top12-07-2011 11:51:04 AM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Seeing these figures makes me wonder if Himari's character was created partially as a reaction to the moe aesthetic. She has a lot of traits on the moe checklist - a fragile younger sister who's always cheerful and dependent on her kind older brothers to take care of her. Sexually unaware - or so it seems. But as the series goes on, and especially with Ep. 21, we've seen just how inaccurate that surface perception is.

One of Penguindrum's main themes is the tragedy that can result from seeing other people as who you want them to be rather than who they really are. The moe phenomenon was popularized by otaku who need a better-than-life surrogate for real women and Penguindrum could be a commentary on that, just as Utena looked at how exaggerated fairy-tale idealism can ruin people's ability to have real relationships.

Since Penguindrum's becoming quite popular in Japan, I wonder if Himari will surface as a moe icon? That would be ironic in the same way that Touga fangirls who adore him as "Utena's true prince" are.

#619 | Back to Top12-07-2011 10:04:59 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

Hmm, I like to model build and I've seen way more revealing bikini figures with women who hold huge tracks of land. emot-rolleyes See any Ikkitousen figure, for example. That's where the fanboys go. That said, I like some of them. emot-redface

They seem to just be plain, wheras the penguin lady-outfit seems way more eyecatching and appealing. I just wonder why they didn't do that one - or do the triple-H girls. That said, this is the first figure to be sold.

Anyway, catch ya later.

#620 | Back to Top12-08-2011 08:31:29 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Just got the latest tweet that 10 soundtracks by Triple H will be out on the 21st of December!

http://twitter.com/#!/penguindrum/statu … 45/photo/1

#621 | Back to Top12-08-2011 09:58:33 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

DOUBLE POST

GUYS!!! CHECK THIS OUT!!

You can make your very own Penguindrum flashback today!!!

http://app.zio3.net/pdboard/?t1=%E5%9B% … 5=&t6=

Last edited by Hiraku (12-08-2011 10:00:12 AM)

#622 | Back to Top12-08-2011 12:33:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

DOUBLE POST

GUYS!!! CHECK THIS OUT!!

You can make your very own Penguindrum flashback today!!!

http://app.zio3.net/pdboard/?t1=%E5%9B% … 5=&t6=

OMG this is awesome.

From top to bottom, the fields are:

Title
Subtitle
Name (e.g. Saionji Kyouichi)
Time (e.g. Eight years ago)
Place (e.g. In the attic of the old church)
Event (e.g. That guy went, so I followed him.  I didn't know yet about what we would find.)

An example that translates, in my very poor Japanese, to:

http://tinyurl.com/6rhvn8x

#623 | Back to Top12-09-2011 03:34:59 AM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

The emotional roller coaster is going into free fall!  Every scene ends with a cry of HOLY SHIT!

Double H appearing in the flesh to see Himari? HOLY SHIT

The ramen shop assailant was Yuri's spurned ex?  And Tabuki is...dead?  Maybe, I wasn't totally clear on that, but... HOLY SHIT

Himari prays for God to take her life back to save Kanba...and it WORKS?  Maybe?  Again I'm not sure whether Himari is dead or not, nevertheless HOLY SHIT

The whole second half of the episode emot-frown augh!  Poor Kanba, poor Masako; poor JSDF/ police officers that Kanba brutally murders!   Why, Ikuhara?  I just wanted cute penguins and surreal animation, but this?  I don't know how much more pain I can handle being piled on to these kids.  Even schadenfreude has its limits.  Goddamn, though, Masako at the end of this episode just etc-love  Girl is fierce!  (Also, those legs etc-jurishlick) Too bad its probably her last hurrah before being gunned down into swiss cheeze   I REPEAT: HOLY SHIT!  At this point I'm just praying that the ending isn't...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/TheAntiSora/lolsanetoshi.jpg

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#624 | Back to Top12-09-2011 08:40:45 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Masako used to be my least favorite character. I couldn't stand her. Now she's my third favorite behind Kanba and Himari. Well played, Ikuhara. Well played. Spoilers: (That little flashback of Masako and Mario leaving Kanba was so sad. emot-gonk  I also loved the scene with Kanba and Himari. Was she trying to lead him on? She told him "I love you" but he wasn't having any of it, because   he knew why she was saying it. Then she gave up and just begged him not to do anything terrible. It was a great scene. Looks like she's dead, again. It  seems like she knew she died at the aquarium (even though when she woke up she acted like she didn't.)  She also knew about the life Kanba gave her while she "turned a blind eye.")

That bomb detonator was awesome. It made me laugh.

I can't imagine how this entire series is going to be resolved within two episodes. I feel like if they hadn't spent so much time on Ringo and Tabuki in the beginning, things could have been spaced out a little better. But who knows, maybe the point is to make it seem rushed and then blow our minds with how well the last episode pulls everything together.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-09-2011 08:57:31 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#625 | Back to Top12-09-2011 10:45:20 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

... Seriously, they better at least take some time to get in to wtf is going on with the penguin hats. I don't think they've ever touched on Mario's little survival strategy moment, which is driving me freaking nuts. x_X

That said... evil Kanba is quite sharp. emot-biggrin

I definitely feel the same way about the pacing, though. Seriously only two episodes left? Are we totally sure Ikuhara isn't setting up forf a movie finale or something?

Last edited by dirufacade (12-09-2011 10:49:26 AM)

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

Board footer