This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#251 | Back to Top02-01-2013 06:00:43 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

It snowed on a sunny day again yesterday. emot-biggrin Go get em, bunny girls!

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#252 | Back to Top02-14-2013 09:48:50 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Okay, so I need someone to watch this and tell me I'm not crazy, because the first thing I thought of was Akio and Touga emot-rofl

Flatworms Penis Fencing!!!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#253 | Back to Top03-28-2013 09:40:48 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

So... don't ask me what I typed in my search bar, but somehow I managed to discover this url and... well.

http://www.rosebrides.com/

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#254 | Back to Top03-28-2013 05:26:49 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Chrome Homura wrote:

So... don't ask me what I typed in my search bar, but somehow I managed to discover this url and... well.

http://www.rosebrides.com/

The sad thing is I can see Anthy making a profile on that website and scamming some poor soul at Akio's bidding.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#255 | Back to Top03-28-2013 05:53:59 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Ohmigod, guys. I just had a major revelation.

Operation: Mindcrime is the story of Professor Nemuro.

Anyone who's heard the album and knows the story will get this, but:

- At the beginning, Nikki (the protagonist of O:M) is in a hospital. He flashes back to 'how he got there' - placing this at Episode 22, Mikage's big flashback.

- Then, we cut back to the past, as our protagonist, once apathetic towards life, suddenly becomes revitalized by a charismatic revolutionary - yeah, Nikki=Nemuro and Dr. X=Akio.

- Their leader spurs our protagonist on to world-changing aspirations.

- However, our protagonist soon finds himself a chance for redemption in the form of love - in Nemuro's case, Tokiko; Nikki's case, with Sister Mary - the 'sister' association makes this clear.

- However, the protagonist is then ordered to do something unthinkable. He refuses, but the master manipulator forces him to act by holding something over his head - in Nemuro's case, Akio's relationship with Tokiko; in Nikki's case, his addiction to heroin.

- Then, the horrific act is committed, and our protagonist finds himself held responsible. He becomes a prisoner.

- Finally, the protagonist sees himself, and realizes that he has become a stranger. This is the transition from Nemuro to Mikage.

- And just to prove my point, the end of the album recalls the beginning track. Mikage can't get out.

So, yeah. This has added a whole new dimension to the album for me.

#256 | Back to Top04-25-2013 08:00:46 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I don't know about the song as a whole, but the first few lines of White Foxes makes me think of certain scenes from Utena.

Last edited by Lurv (04-25-2013 08:01:30 AM)

#257 | Back to Top04-29-2013 10:11:03 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I was watching Nisemonogatari, and this just made me think of SKU so much. "Naturally middle schoolers are still kids, but the problem is they don't realize they're still kids" How much of Utena just wouldn't have happened if one of the cast members said, "Woah, I'm in a trippy ass place trying to cut a rose off another kid's chest with a real ass sword. Maybe I should go back to class or get high in the bathroom or something, I mean there's an upside down castle, this shit's out of my league" emot-rolleyes

#258 | Back to Top04-29-2013 10:18:43 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

"Woah, I'm in a trippy ass place trying to cut a rose off another kid's chest with a real ass sword. Maybe I should go back to class or get high in the bathroom or something, I mean there's an upside down castle, this shit's out of my league"

In SKU's case, it is seeing the "miraculous" upside down castle that gives the cast the drive to cut roses of other kids' chest with real swords: they are shown that they can really get whatever impossible wishes fulfilled, so long as they are willing to hurt other people for it.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#259 | Back to Top04-29-2013 10:52:50 AM

BlackBeforeRed

That is the irony of it, isn't it. That they're so driven by the power they see before them, and can't realize they are in no position to actually make use of it. Or even question what it is. So driven to change or better the circumstances they're in now, that they don't even care what or who they have to step on to get it and if they really are capable of doing that when there are obviously shady more powerful forces surrounding them. End of The World doesn't sound like someone to mess around with. I just think of the student council meetings and think, these kids honestly don't even consider they're being suckered by somebody much more powerful than them, do they. Except Touga... maybe. How much he knows is pretty vague.

#260 | Back to Top04-29-2013 01:12:43 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

BlackBeforeRed wrote:

That is the irony of it, isn't it. That they're so driven by the power they see before them, and can't realize they are in no position to actually make use of it.

*Nods*

I just think of the student council meetings and think, these kids honestly don't even consider they're being suckered by somebody much more powerful than them, do they.

SKU deals a lot with how human beings gets driven and/or blind-sighted by desires and needs.  I recall some scenes where the SC kids express doubt/wariness on just what the Ends of the World is (esp. in Ep 25), but were still too desire-driven not to keep going along with the peculiar deal as offered to them.  Then again, if the many SKU adults - Nerumo, Tokiko, Mrs Ohtori, Mr. Kaoru etc  also got dazzled by what the obviously superhuman Double A got to offer, then what chance do teens and tweens stand against such temptation?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#261 | Back to Top04-29-2013 01:41:44 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Technically, Nemuro's still a teenager...even though he is a professor.

To be honest, there are so many anime where children are placed in the position of having to save the world that I didn't dwell too much on it when the trope appeared in SKU.

Hmm...considering that the student council seems to function as a single entity for most of the series, is it possible that their intent was to revolutionize the world together? It'd make sense if they chose Saionji as the champion if they thought he'd be too stubborn to let anyone else get the Bride, so she would remain under their control.

#262 | Back to Top04-30-2013 01:32:01 AM

BlackBeforeRed

Hmm, I guess what makes it more prominent to me is that there's an emphasis on growing up in the story, and they actually portrayed them as realistic to their age for the most part, despite how seriously most of them took themselves. The fact that they take themselves so seriously is a product of that immaturity. A lot of shows have kids save the world, but then leave out all the aspects of children being treated like adults that make us uncomfortable etc-jurishlick I always thought the show was intentionally showing us a deconstruction of that idea, with the lack of any parent or trustworthy adults . Result emot-gonk

I think it would be smart of the SC to try and band together, but they're all to greedy about the Power to Revolutionize The World to actually do that. For all that they're amicable, they can be pretty cut throat and generally do whatever they think necessary or effective to try and win Anthy. I don't think we see it as much between themselves because we only see them duel Utena, but they were dueling amongst each other before she came along and became Double A's favourite. The scene of Juri giving Utena the sword implies they aren't helping each other out, she saw something she didn't like and actually helped Utena stand a fighting chance against him. Sounds like keeping it in the house isn't priority emot-tongue

#263 | Back to Top04-30-2013 09:39:03 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Agree with much of what BlackBeforeRed just posted.

Atropos wrote:

Technically, Nemuro's still a teenager...even though he is a professor.

You know, this is the one “little thing” about SKU where I’m still unsure about to this date.  Yes, Nemuro, back in his right era, did tell a BR Boy that he “was not that much older than them (the translation on my copy”, thus they didn’t have to call him “Professor”.  So he should be older than the BR Boys, though the show never specified by how much. 

I myself noticed how Nemuro was drawn in a way where his eyes are higher/smaller/older looking than Mikage.  Also, Tokiko, at least in her early 20s to fill her position as the Inspector, has notable UST with him at her house.  My personal canon is that Nemuro was in his early 20s too, and only “regressed” to looking like a teenager after becoming Mikage, but I don’t know if that have solid proof.  Old! Tokiko saw the shadow play with the salaryman regressing into a schoolchild after seeing Mikage; she said he hadn’t aged a day . . . is that exclusive to the possibility that she noticed him also having “de-aged”?

#264 | Back to Top04-30-2013 01:00:35 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

gorgeousshutin wrote:

You know, this is the one “little thing” about SKU where I’m still unsure about to this date.  Yes, Nemuro, back in his right era, did tell a BR Boy that he “was not that much older than them (the translation on my copy”, thus they didn’t have to call him “Professor”.  So he should be older than the BR Boys, though the show never specified by how much.

In my copy - and EM's scripts - it's "We're the same age." As for his relationship with Tokiko, it's probably just the MILF factor at work.

Old! Tokiko saw the shadow play with the salaryman regressing into a schoolchild after seeing Mikage; she said he hadn’t aged a day . . . is that exclusive to the possibility that she noticed him also having “de-aged”?

No, old!Tokiko saw the shadow play about the monkey-catching robot. emot-rofl

#265 | Back to Top04-30-2013 01:21:30 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

No, old!Tokiko saw the shadow play about the monkey-catching robot. emot-rofl

Oh my god you're right!  I've totally been mixing things up in those 2 Nemuro eps emot-redface

As for his relationship with Tokiko, it's probably just the MILF factor at work.

Tokiko = MILF?  Oh my gawd . . . emot-gonk

#266 | Back to Top04-30-2013 01:57:58 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

As for his relationship with Tokiko, it's probably just the MILF factor at work.

Tokiko = MILF?  Oh my gawd . . . emot-gonk

Does she actually have any kids, though? emot-tongue I don't think she'll be dethroning Mrs Ohtori.

#267 | Back to Top04-30-2013 02:50:31 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

Does she actually have any kids, though? emot-tongue I don't think she'll be dethroning Mrs Ohtori.

CILF . . . (C for Cougar)?

Though the revelation that Tokiko is an older woman to Nemuro - can anyone confirm if that's really the case - really changes how I look at their dynamics.

#268 | Back to Top04-30-2013 08:10:48 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I was always under the impression that Nemuro was around the same age as Tokiko, but then through magical de-aging/illusions/whatever, people just accepted him as a student when he was Mikage. He looks like an adult to me, but that's not saying much in Utena-land where 13 year olds look like college students. emot-tongue

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#269 | Back to Top04-30-2013 10:00:10 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

I was always under the impression that Nemuro was around the same age as Tokiko, but then through magical de-aging/illusions/whatever, people just accepted him as a student when he was Mikage. He looks like an adult to me, but that's not saying much in Utena-land where 13 year olds look like college students. emot-tongue

*Nods*

More on topic, Eva 3.0 Q features an angel that bears 99% similarity in appearance to the Million Swords of Hate - further proof that the "film" really is really a fanfic disguised under animation emot-rolleyes

#270 | Back to Top05-01-2013 12:51:32 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

How many other places have you noted the same 'world is an egg' metaphor? I saw it in Rahxephon, Jodorowsky's Dune pitch, and, of course, Demian.

#271 | Back to Top05-02-2013 05:29:30 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

How many other places have you noted the same 'world is an egg' metaphor? I saw it in Rahxephon, Jodorowsky's Dune pitch, and, of course, Demian.

Would "Lilith's Egg" in the original NGE + EoE counts?  The "Egg" does contain the GeoFront, one that's kinda like a world of its own . . .

#272 | Back to Top05-02-2013 11:37:02 PM

Arreat
Ohtori Paramouri

Making polymer clay roses and I wanted to suddenly make one for each duelist color. emot-gonk

Last edited by Arreat (05-02-2013 11:37:20 PM)

#273 | Back to Top05-04-2013 12:00:49 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Atropos wrote:

I saw it in Rahxephon, Jodorowsky's Dune pitch, and, of course, Demian.

I also used it in a Harry Potter fanfic, inspired (coughplagiarizedcough) by the aforementioned pitch.

gorgeousshutin wrote:

More on topic, Eva 3.0 Q features an angel that bears 99% similarity in appearance to the Million Swords of Hate - further proof that the "film" really is really a fanfic disguised under animation

Then you must have hated the original NGE too, considering that it had approximately 2.5 references per minute, not counting opening and ending sequences. emot-tongue

Last edited by Atropos (05-04-2013 06:32:10 PM)

#274 | Back to Top05-18-2013 11:11:10 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

A girl at the children's library was telling me story this morning: Once there was a little girl. Her parents were dead. And she cried and cried. Then, a man came on a white horse and said, "I am a prince. You should stand tall and be a strong man."

At which point I literally hurt my stomach holding in laughter and just (not literally) exploded.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#275 | Back to Top05-19-2013 06:48:01 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

Then you must have hated the original NGE too, considering that it had approximately 2.5 references per minute, not counting opening and ending sequences. emot-tongue

The original NGE had blatant rip-offs of Utena too?  And in the opening credits?  I didn't know that emot-rofl
Reference is one thing, but blatant copy-and-paste rip-offs that require little creativity (or brain power) on the part of the creators is another.

Edited to add:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Once there was a little girl. Her parents were dead. And she cried and cried. Then, a man came on a white horse and said, "I am a prince. You should stand tall and be a strong man."

emot-aaa
A fairytale about a strange prince telling a little girl to be a strong man?  Could the kid telling the story be a fan of Seinen Kakumen (shameless self promote)?

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (05-19-2013 08:35:48 AM)

Board footer