This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top09-23-2008 04:50:16 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Re: Project Runway

I have a lot of love for "Sister Christian". There's video floating around of his 2009 collection, and it has a bit more color in it. I'll edit in a link later.

I've watched all of Season 5 so far, and I see your disappointment. Normally, I have a Top Three picked out within the first few episodes, and a tentative "That one's going to win" already set.  My original top 3 was Korto, Terri, and Kenley(I think).

Then Terri gets the boot for what I consider no logical reason. Yes the "avant garde" dress was fugly, but there was a parade of fugly fail in that episode. On top of that, I think that was her first and only time in the Bottom Three. Most of the time she was in the middle, and a couple of times, she almost won.  Hell, Terri makes SEPARATES! Who in this season, let alone the entire run of the series, can constantly crank out separates like Terri can?! WTF?

Honestly, both Terri and Korto have been robbed more than once. Korto and Terri are the only two people that can make a good jacket-dress combo. Korto makes beautiful things that don't limit themselves to smaller sizes. Even some of the crazier things she made would look good on a broad spectrum of women. If she gets to Fashion Week, she's gonna win as long as she doesn't a) screw up like Kara Saun in Season 1, or b) serve up crap like Michael Knight in Season 3. I think she's only been in the Bottom Three once, too, but she's almost won more times than Terri almost won.

As for Kenley, she makes cute things, but she's an annoying little snot that makes Jeffrey from Season 3 look like Mr. Rogers. She was so obnoxious last week when she and her makeover Mini-Me started giggling during judging. Also, I like the whole rockabilly/pin-up/vintage thing, but it looks like all she can do. It's very Uli from Season Three. There's a big damn difference between having a personal style/aesthetic and cranking out the same dress with different details, fabric, and accessories.

And I swear, if Suede talks about Suede in the third person again, I will slap the blue off his hair.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#77 | Back to Top09-29-2008 03:18:21 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I can't believe that Kenley is still.......jesus h christ, did you guys see the musical challenge?

I'm disappointed. There was so much that they could have done with that challenge and they all played it so safe.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#78 | Back to Top09-29-2008 04:28:44 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

Nice thread to necro, Mocha. This is actually the first season I've been following. I actually don't watch the whole episodes, but instead wait for the new ones to pop up on youtube and watch the deliberation section as that's the only part that holds any importance to me. I don't really have any other season to compare it to because of this, though I have been watching a bit of season 4 and I have to agree that the designers do seem to be a bit more talented and innovative in general. I was really impressed with Victorya Hong based on the deliberations only. She seemed to be the most well composed in judging. I was shocked to discover that had behaved so poorly elsewhere on the show, though. But I think Christian was a good winner.

As for this season, I really like Leanne, and hope she wins, with Korto as the runner up. I actually really liked Kenley in the beginning of the season too, but she hasn't impressed me at all recently. I loved her design for the foreign secret agent challenge, but that was probably the last time that I was really wowed by her performance. I haven't watched the most recent episodes, but I've seen the pictures of the garments and they do look pretty godawful.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#79 | Back to Top09-29-2008 05:03:35 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

I can't believe that Kenley is still.......jesus h christ, did you guys see the musical challenge?

I'm disappointed. There was so much that they could have done with that challenge and they all played it so safe.

They could have gone so much further, but you know why they held back? "We didn't want it to look costumey".

Korto and Jerell did a damn good job this week, though. Suede looked almost quickly-cross-the-street-coz-he's-scary punk. And the jeans were pretty fucking brilliant.

But, OMG, Kenley was hot! Jerell did a damn good job. He's not going to win....but still.

Leanne having to put Korto in a country outfit was too funny! I'm surprised the hairstylist managed to get her weave into a beehive like that. If I were Leanne, though, I'd have made a Kenley dress and put a fuckload of tulle and poofyness under it....THEN added the cowboy boots. I'd have gone for the old-school Tammy Wynette, Hee-Haw country because the new country artists basically look too much like regular pop stars.

Kenley should have been sent home for that horrid hip-hop outfit, though. The fact that LL Cool J was the guest judge should have been the nail in her retro coffin. Besides, it's not Suede's fault that Jerell basically dresses like that all the time.

#80 | Back to Top09-29-2008 10:13:45 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Watch and see as I necro a thread and then abandon it! Oops.

The last episode was REALLY hard on me. So hard. So much bad. Sooooo so so so much bad.

I was really torn when I realized that it was the two people that I hate the most on the chopping block. On the one hand, Kenley is an obnoxious, obtuse, one note bitch, and I really don't care for her attitude -although she has had several initially strong garments, her look is too repetitive*. On the other hand, we have Suede. A self-centered, third person referential annoyance who has thus far not put out anything that has impressed me. Either way I can only win, you'd think. But no. No no no no no. Kenley has the sheer audacity to state that Tim Gunn knows nothing. Tim Gunn. Tim Gunn is like the Chuck Norris of fashion, bitch. Be prepared to be cut.

And this is something I really do not understand: Every season they show what happens when a designer does not choose to listen to Tim's advice. And that is Something Bad. This season they've made a point of showcasing the fact that when Tim makes a note that they do not heed the designer is either in the bottom three or off. Every. Single. Time. There's a reason for this.

Don't agree with Tim. Fine. Be an obnoxious, self obsessed bitch with bad taste. Whatever. But don't fucking insult this man -dean of Parsons, an amazing sculptor, and a vp for Liz Claiborne -when you yourfreakingself have told us that the most you've done is work with K-Mart.

I was glad that Suede went, but not at the expense of keeping Kenley. It bothers me that Nina excused her behaviour by basically saying "well, she was out of her element." Yes. And Leanne making a country outfit for a black woman with a big ole' bum wasn't?! She made Korto look pretty damn good for what she was running with. I honestly don't know which I'd've preferred though, from a purely styalistic point -keeping the one note designer who makes a decent hit about 50 percent of the time, or keeping the designer who's willing to experiment, but isn't really very impressive. Bleeeeech all around this season -I haven't even voted for a fan favorite yet.

Personally, I'm really enjoying Jerrel and Leanne. To me they both have a really unique viewpoint that gets expressed -I loved the idea of Leanne's Scorpio gown, but I wished the execution had been a bit more dramatic. I'm also digging Korto, but I think her work may be too commercial for Kors and Garcia, when they consider the final collections. Her Aquarian gown was really underwhelming for avant guarde. Not bad, certainly, but just...lacking somehow.

*Her criticism of Suede? "He can't translate his look into different garments." POT KETTLE BLACK MUCH YOU ICKYPOO?

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#81 | Back to Top09-30-2008 02:40:47 PM

lex

My problem with Kenley is that for her work to be so one-dimensional she sure is overly confident, and yeah she can put together a bitchin' vintage outfit, but other than that...she can't do anything. That was not hip hop, that was Ab Fab. Then....to put the cherry on the sundae, she argued with LL Cool J, part of being a designer is to take criticism and use it to your advantage. Grr.

Leanne's rework of country with Korto was hilarious although I would have loved it if the skirt was a little bit more bold, add rhinestones...something, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lyn. All the great country singers of the past always used excess (except for Johnny Cash).

I would have loved to do a punk outfit, hello tartan jacket!

Suede...ah...wasn't sad to see him go...the third person reference was a bit ech. I mean yes, the outfit was somewhat "rock n' roll" but he could have really gone over the top, but reigned himself in as Raven was saying everyone was scared of looking "costumey."

#82 | Back to Top10-05-2008 05:56:49 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Okay, so who saw last week's episode?

I actually liked Kenley's, except it looked too much like the Diane von Furstenburg challenge dress, only longer. I think the judges might not have disliked it so much if it was a little more....adventurous. Still don't like her, though.

Korto disappointed me. It makes me sad because I want her to win. Then when they said "Pageant", it was like she got Anthy-slapped. At least they agreed it was a pretty and well-made dress, though. Just boring.

Jerell apparently won for being the least crappy dress, and they let him know.

Leanne's dress reminded me of Michael Knight's dress from the Paris challenge. Same color, similar aesthetic.  Whenever I see Leanne, I see a designer's assistant. She needs a makeover. Fix her hair, change her glasses, and dress for her age. Frumpy only works for Vera Wang.

Spoiler alert(highlight to read): The top 6 designers showed at Fashion Week last month. So Suede and whoever got eliminated the week before Suede got to have a runway show. There's already pics on the internet because there were a few ANTM alumni among the models.

#83 | Back to Top10-20-2008 05:17:24 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Double posting to ask:

Who saw the finale? Did the right person win?

Also want to add that Season 6 has already been taped (in Los Angeles), according to Heidi's interview with Access Hollywood. HOWEVER, they're currently in litigation limbo because the production company wants to move to Lifetime, and Bravo isn't letting them.

#84 | Back to Top10-21-2008 02:04:12 PM

lex

I saw the finale. It was pretty cool.

One of the right people did win (if thats any clues). I don't want to spoil it, so I'll wait to people have caught up.

#85 | Back to Top02-23-2009 08:30:07 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm having horrible Project Runway withdrawal.

Apparently, Season 6 is completely finished taping as of today. (Only the pre-finale episodes were taped in L.A.) Last week was New York's Fashion Week, and the top 3 designers showed their collections. To avoid spoilering the entire damn universe, the collections were shown without an intro from the designer.

There's still no sign as to when we'll get to see it. NBC-Universal and Lifetime are still suing the hell out of each other and the production company.

*le sigh* I guess I'll just placate myself next week with Cycle 12 of America's Next Top Model-who's-never-going-to-get-any-actual-modeling-work-when-the-show's-over.

#86 | Back to Top08-20-2009 09:12:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

SEASON SIX FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Who watched it tonight?

First of all, the All-Star Challenge was awesome. Santino and Jeffrey in the same room is hilarious because they fucking hate each other. Some of the clothes were butt-ugly, and some of them were gorgeous. The good news is that Jeffrey and Santino don't win.

The regular show was hilarious. You have Ari Fish, who is this season's weirdo.(See also: Elisa from S5), Qristyl(It's pronounced Crystal) who already has a plus-size clothing line and is simply hilarious, Also, because I'm too lazy to do spoiler tags, all I'm going to say is one contestant puts out what I have dubbed the world's sluttiest caftan.

Right now, I'm watching Models of the Runway, which is a behind-the-scenes show about the PR models. It's a series, not a special like the All-Stars Challenge.

#87 | Back to Top08-20-2009 09:46:23 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

HAH SANTINO YOU LOST.

Sorry.  He annoyed the crap out of me.

And really, for Season Six, though I've forgotten most of the names (I was packing while watching) the designer who made the black VMA dress is my favorite.  I would kill for a dress like that, even though it's not the most terribly unique concept for a VMA or even rocker-style dress I have ever seen. 

And as for the All Star special, while I did feel like Korto should have won --I feel like fashion should always be more about making people feel beautiful, not trendy, but I'm naive-- Daniel's black dress.  Unbelievably perfect.

Caftan dude did have the odds against him a bit with the off model measurements, but still.  There was no way to just adjust the dress he already had?  Designers on this show are always having model issues -some don't show up, for example.  Wouldn't it make sense to have even the smallest amount of foresight for this kind of thing?

Ari's outfit was cute, but not for the red carpet.  And while she was trying to be unique, there is a line between that and flat out ignoring the rules.  And when it comes to specifically wanting a career in high fashion, you have to expect that you have to make your clothes marketable - you can't be the only one who wants to wear them.  You can make your own clothes in your own time.

Also, I was fairly surprised at the quality of criticism Lindsay Lohan put forth.  I found myself agreeing with her quite a bit.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-20-2009 09:47:50 PM)

#88 | Back to Top08-22-2009 10:22:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

You pretty much had the same assessment I did. Korto was fucking ROBBED. Daniel's collection looked like some American Apparel shit with the exception of the red carpet dress, which honestly didn't go with the rest of it at all.

I will always love Chris March for his insane time-management skills. He will put out a complete outfit and still have time for a fucking nap.

As for the slutty caftan, I refuse to believe that his model was 6 inches over the given measurements on her model card. Your standard fashion model is 34-24-34, plus or minus an inch. If her numbers were off, I'd be willing to bet it was by no more than 2 inches, because no agency in their right mind would send a model anywhere with measurements that wrong. Not to mention, clothing is often supposed to be made with 1 or 2 inches of wearing ease, even when it's custom-made.

At the end of the day, though, I would have kept Ari over Mitchell because even if he didn't have "model issues", the previous incarnation of the caftan was still ugly.

#89 | Back to Top08-29-2009 03:41:27 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

emot-aaa  Mitchell needs to go home, seriously.

Yah, Malvin's maternal outfit was hideous, but at least his original concept was, well, original.  Mitchell made shorts and a tank top, and couldn't even execute that properly.  This is his second time in the bottom, so I have no idea why they kept him.

So far, my favorites are Christopher, Shirin, and Irina.

#90 | Back to Top08-29-2009 08:09:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

emot-aaa  Mitchell needs to go home, seriously..
Yah, Malvin's maternal outfit was hideous, but at least his original concept was, well, original.  Mitchell made shorts and a tank top, and couldn't even execute that properly.  This is his second time in the bottom, so I have no idea why they kept him.

OH GOD YES! Why is he still there?! What is this need to get rid of the weirdos in favor of such a talentless hack?! At least the crazy people have a point of view, no matter how weird. I don't think there's anyone else left to be Mitchell's meat shield, so he's gone next week unless Qristyl pulls out something extra crappy.

Malvin....OH, God, Malvin. I have no words.

So far, my favorites are Christopher, Shirin, and Irina

I like them too, but Shirin blew me out of the fucking water with her outfit this week. I'd almost swear that Rebecca Romijn was about to snatch that dress off the model right there.

My favorites, though, are Shirin, Louise, and Althea....maybe Carol Hannah.

#91 | Back to Top08-30-2009 12:44:05 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I wish I could watch Project Runway, I love that show. Unfortunately, I don't have TV and hulu doesn't host complete episodes. How will I get my necessary Tim Gunn? :[ Oh Tim Gunn I love you.

#92 | Back to Top08-30-2009 03:11:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm fairly sure they have clips from the show you can watch on the PR website, Emi, including extended judging, Tim Gunn's advice in the workroom, and scorecards with pictures for each designer and outfit.  http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/project-runway

#93 | Back to Top08-31-2009 02:49:52 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

ODAMN AWESOME! TY!

#94 | Back to Top09-04-2009 11:21:49 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yay Micheal is gone.  Kudos to Ra'mon for his Advant Garde outfit, although I think the belt on the swimsuit kind of killed the surfer/beach vibe.  Still, I really loved his AG dress.  It looks ugly until you realize it's gorgeous.  I love that shit.  Plus, he totally pulled it out of his ass at the last minute! And for once someone listened to and took TG's advice, even though it was tough to do. Overall though, I think he might be a 50/50 designer.  His stuff is either awesome or it's total fail.

Overall, I didn't agree with who the judges chose as their top outfits (Shirin&Carol Hannah, and Louise&Althea's stuff was gorgeous, and I even have a soft spot for Christopher&Logan's, but I thought that Johnny&Irin's pieces were boring.  I have stuff I bought at Walmart on clearance in my closet that looks exactly like their brown top and the AG was just hideous and looked poorly done.  The swimsuit itself was cute, but overall the outfit looked so easy and uh. fall?) but as long as Micheal gets the boot, YAY. 

Also, Epperson severely pissed me off.  Seriously, if a dude got that far into my personal space I would have decked him.  They say Q was letting him walk all over her, but I think she was just trying to keep herself from getting violent, and she didn't stop working no matter how much he nitpicked her.  Both her and Ra 'mon did well considering their circumstances.

However, while writing this post, I had to go look up who made what -for the outfits I liked!  The show gives too much screentime to the bad or dramalicious designers, and not even a second outside of Tim Gunn's advice segment for each to say a quick, "this is what I am thinking" and a flash of their concept sketch.  The surprise is nice, but still.   I care more about the clothes and how they are conceptualized and created, about a designer's POV than spending thirty minutes watching Micheal run around half-smiling and lolling around the room.  Especially when we all knew he was going home, anyway.

#95 | Back to Top09-05-2009 06:21:36 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

First time watching Project Runaway.. my roommate and I watched the two most recent episodes. Still trying to get used to everyone's names!

I'm glad Mitchell is gone. He just plain didn't do anything. emot-aaa I also agree that, although Malvin's maternity outfit was bizarre and unflattering and hideous, Malvin > Mitchell. At least Malvin was passionate about his work and had a concept.. even if he was a little too attached to it. Mitchell was just plain lazy and sloppy.

#96 | Back to Top09-06-2009 05:41:54 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OMG, sooo glad Mitchell is gone! I can't believe he had the fucking nerve to ride his partner's coattails like that. Heidi was right, strike three, GTFO.

The whole Epperson/Qristyl drama was just...emot-rolleyes

I only managed to watch a few minutes here and there because I forgot about it Thursday night, and every rebroadcast was on at the same time as something else I want to watch. Boo. I'll wait for the repeat later this week.

And SDF, don't strain yourself on learning names. By the time you get everyone straight, half of them will be gone.

#97 | Back to Top09-11-2009 10:41:19 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Ok, so Qristyl's gone and I can finally stop concentrating on how fucked her name is spelled. I'm kind of annoyed that all of her work was so shitty, but after looking at her offerings at her website, I understand. She's a nice lady, and rather funny, but she can't design her way out of a paper bag. In her defense, though, when Heidi said that the dress aged the model(Valerie) 10 or 15 years, my response was that she looked that old before that dress was even on her.

I kind of liked the winning outfit, in the sense that it was cute and they were separates instead of a dress. Yet another reason for me to love Althea, the previous ones being that she's worked for Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen, two of my favorite designers ever.

Am I a horrible person for wanting to see Shirin make a blue jumpsuit? I'm already pre-programmed to despise the return of the jumpsuit/romper, but damn if I didn't want to see what she'd do.

#98 | Back to Top09-28-2009 12:36:09 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Nick gets immunity for the next challenge?  BLEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I myself would have given it to Epperson.  Sure, the leather pieces could have used a bit more detail (like visible stitching and thickness), but that was one bad ass outfit.  I mean, I would wear it and feel bad ass.   All Stompity-stomp getoutta my bar you sunuvabitch stompity.  And even Chris's -despite the cheesey vamp story and the rather sloppy-looking top, had such a fresh and original dress that appealed to me.

But Nick's....it was cool, and it had character, and I appreciate the technique, but I don't want him having immunity.

>.>

<.<

Also, though this concerns the previous episode, wtf Shirin.  Why on earth did she win?  A fucking paper trenchcoat?  It looked unoriginal and easy.  OOH WADDING PAPER BALLS AND GLUEING IT TO THE COLLAR WOWEE.

I guess my top at this point are Chris and Althea.  Iris has kinds been bleh lately.

And I'll miss you Ra'mon.  You were way hit and miss but when you hit baby, you hit.  Plus, you was a sweetie.

#99 | Back to Top10-02-2009 12:01:27 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Louise Black...why? I love her Louise Brooks hairdo and her overall philosophy about approaching fashion. I absolutely LOVE some of her work for sale. So why does the woman who can do fun cutting edge stuff like this...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/il_430xN93179893.jpg

Keep sinking back into the same tired ruffle routine? So much of her work has been so safe and boring, except for some fancy work around the neck. Often, the more elaborate work just ends up sticking out like a sore thumb, especially tonight. I was expecting Louise to have difficulty with the simplicity approaches, but the last challenge should have been HERS. That would have been the time to whip out some of the more interesting pseudo-classical avant garde designs. And it was so dull. I'm very disappointed and would not be surprised if she went home tonight.

Btw, completely agree with you OITL. I thought Shirin's design was completely overall, and looked all too much like a tacky fur coat from the seventies translated into paper form. But at least she did try something different than the others. Still, it looked cheap. I also loved Mike's design and honestly thought it was one of the most fun on the show to date. But the man himself is such an annoying little diva bitch.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#100 | Back to Top10-02-2009 11:25:05 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

GAH.  See, this is why I didn't like Nick winning immunity last week.  If it were up to me I would have Ger-err-forgot-how-it-is-spelled-donna and Nick gone and Louis and Ra'mon still here.  Because Ra'mon entertained me damnit.  Both with his failsuace and his awesomesauce.

Bleh.  I just keep disagreeing with the judges.  This weeks blue challenge?  Overall, I didn't see anything that wowed me --in fact, I find it funny that 95% of the time the models come into the fitting room wearing something way nicer than what they are about to put on.  Maybe they all just chose particular shades of blue that did not appeal to me, but I could swear I have seen ...wait?  Did I mix up Shirin and Irina?  Yah, Irina did the coat, and she won this week's challenge too....Irina's dress done before.  It wasn't bad looking by any means, but it's pretty much a re-worked version of Althea's pregnancy dress.

And, I'll put myself out on the line that I WOULD WEAR A FUCKING SHIRT-DRESS HEIDI. 

I liked that outfit, it just needed some tweaking -a thicker, sturdier belt, stiffer, less shiny fabric so it kind of pops, and a different model.  But I liked the overall concept.

(Plus Irina's a bitch.  wtf why can't these people shut up about the other designers work and talk about their own?  Ten bucks says she makes it to the final 3, though, because the producers will want someone like her whose bitchiness is guaranteed to boil over by that time.)

.....I'm now kinda wondering what an Akio-style shirt dress would look like....

*edit because I wrote Mike instead of Nick, wtf.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-08-2009 01:14:28 PM)

Board footer