This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-04-2007 07:52:48 AM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

Shiori loves Juri

We all know that Juri loves Shiori (except when she loves Touga emot-mad), but is the reverse true? Here are some things that point to that theory:

The Other Black Rose Duelist
All the other Black Rose Duelist have romantic feelings towards the owner of their Soul Sword. The only exceptions are Kanae and Shiori. We have no idea where Kanae got her sword, or if it's a Soul Sword, so we can rule her out. Shiori, on the other hand...

Polishing Juri's Sword
In Episode 28, Shiori famously mistakes Juri's sword for Ruka's and tell him she's been polishing it everyday since he left. At the end of the episode, Ruka tells her that was Juri's sword, and that she's a liar. It's interesting that it was actually Juri's sword there. It could very well have been Joe Student's sword that she ad-libbed over. It's also not hard to see another meaning in "polishing the sword".

Here is something that's just interesting:

The Locket
In Episode 17, when Shiori opens the locket at the Nemuro Memorial Center, water drips out. This suggest that she hadn't opened it till then, but she just knew. You can imagine how awkward it would have been if she opened it and Touga's picture was inside. emot-tongue

My theory: Shiori fell in love with Juri years ago. Her thought process: Oh, Juri is so great! I love her! But would she love me? No she wouldn't. She'd reject me. How dare she reject me? That bitch, I'll reject her first!" There lies the tragedy. They both love each other, and yet they can not be. emot-frown

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#2 | Back to Top03-04-2007 08:15:23 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Shiori loves Juri

Was it really Juri's sword? They never said anything about whose sword it was. :/

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top03-04-2007 08:26:39 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Maarika wrote:

Was it really Juri's sword? They never said anything about whose sword it was. :/

Beat me to it. emot-smile I thought Ruka just said that it wasn't his....

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top03-04-2007 09:27:21 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Of course. It's been three years, and she's still thinking of Juri. If she really did hate Juri, then why would she care what she thought of her? Would she so desperately seek to be the equal in the eyes of a person she hated? (Edit: I might right more on this later, but for right now I'm tired.)

Maarika wrote:

We never actually see the name of the locker that the sword fell from, but it wasn't Ruka's, and Juri's locker is right next to his.

Last edited by Razara (03-04-2007 09:30:37 AM)

#5 | Back to Top03-04-2007 09:47:44 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

To play the devil's advocate: while I am a fan of the Shiori/Juri relationship, I don't think romantic interest is necessarily a factor in being able to pull someone's sword. In the second run of student council duels, when the characters have 'rose brides' to pull the swords from them, we have Ruka and Juri paird together, and Touga and Nanami. Juri's feelings for Ruka may or may not be romantic, but she has a strong attachment to him as her old friend and mentor. Nanami's feelings for Touga were already shown not to be sexual, romantic love. Mamiya said in the Black Rose Arc that in order to pull a sword, the potential duelist would need 'a strong hold on the person's heart', which, to me, doesn't always include romantic feelings.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#6 | Back to Top03-04-2007 10:30:39 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Ivy-chan wrote:

To play the devil's advocate: while I am a fan of the Shiori/Juri relationship, I don't think romantic interest is necessarily a factor in being able to pull someone's sword.

I think she only meant the Black Rose Arc, but then again, I'm not sure if I completely agree with it either.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#7 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:26:59 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Hysterical Woman wrote:

At the end of the episode, Ruka tells her that was Juri's sword, and that she's a liar. It's interesting that it was actually Juri's sword there.

It was never said it was Juri's sword - it certainly didn't look like hers. Also, Shiori hadn't been polishing the sword, at all. She just claimed she had done so.

Ivy-chan wrote:

Mamiya said in the Black Rose Arc that in order to pull a sword, the potential duelist would need 'a strong hold on the person's heart', which, to me, doesn't always include romantic feelings.

Indeed, and more importantly, this doesn't neccecarily mean any strong emotions on the sword puller's part. It's the strong emotions of the Student Council member that matter. Having "a strong hold of the person's heart" means emotional power over the person in question, not neccecarily similar bond on the puller's side.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#8 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:33:06 AM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

Yeah, the more I think about, the more I think no. But still, I think the last point about the water in the locket is interesting.

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#9 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:50:52 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Yes, the water in the locket was what really clues me to her feelings. Obviously, it had not been opened prior to her entering the elevator. She went to the seminar before she even looked inside. At first, I thought it meant that she was upset because Juri still loved someone, and Shiori's harsh actions had done nothing to change that. I took this as her being petty, because she still had not stolen Juri's attention. But when she opens it, she laughs. She smiles to herself, and holds the locket close to her heart. This should prove she had some knowledge that she was the one Juri cared for. This made her happy, but I feel like she isn't only happy because she has gotten the upper hand. I think it's fairly safe to say there is something else behind it.

Last edited by dollface (03-04-2007 11:51:37 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#10 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:55:46 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Okay, I'm awake now.

Shiori wrote:

“We were more than childhood friends. Juri and I really grew up together. Juri was always so wonderful. So strong, so imposing. She always protected me. Juri was my only friend. She was the only person I could ever depend on with all my heart.”

Whether she realized it or not, Shiori really did love Juri. Juri was her childhood prince. She was kind to her, and always looked out for her. The problem was that she eventually started to think that she was only being nice to her out of pity. She thought that the only person she had ever really cared about felt nothing but pity for her. That's why she desperately wanted to do anything she could to keep Juri from looking down on her. But even after she did do something to put them on the same level, she still wasn't happy, because she didn't have Juri anymore.

The sad thing is that their relationship probably could have worked out if Juri had told Shiori how she felt. Then Shiori would know that Juri wasn't only nice to her out of pity, and Shiori probably would have returned her feelings. But if that happened, we would be stuck with the nameless guy on the Student Council instead of Juri.

#11 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:59:12 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Razara wrote:

The sad thing is that their relationship probably could have worked out if Juri had told Shiori how she felt. Then Shiori would know that Juri wasn't only nice to her out of pity, and Shiori probably would have returned her feelings. But if that happened, we would be stuck with the nameless guy on the Student Council instead of Juri.

Even worse, we could have kept Ruka.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#12 | Back to Top03-04-2007 12:16:49 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Whether romantically or just friendship, I'm pretty sure Shiori cared a lot about Juri, despite her actions. I think it also may be romantic feelings too, but that she wasn't really aware of them.

As for the locket with the water dripping out.. I didn't think of it as Shiori not opening it until she was in the elevator, but that's a good point. I kind of assumed that she did open it, but that she was crying when she did and it got real tears in it..

Edit: Juri and Shiori's relationship is indeed a tragic one, on both sides. If Juri confessed her feelings for Shiori to her, Shiori would have realized that Juri never pitied her. But if Shiori had let Juri know that she felt inadequate compared to her and that she thought Juri pitied her, Juri might have told her about her feelings, too. (Notice how in the scene where they are getting that group picture taken, Shiori looks sad, but when Juri turns her head to look at Shiori, Shiori is smiling?) The relationship is just full of so many tragic misunderstandings.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-04-2007 12:19:43 PM)

#13 | Back to Top03-04-2007 07:10:36 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I think it's pretty clear Shiori does care about Juri quite a lot. If she didn't, they'd have a lot fewer problems in their relationship.

I think it's also pretty clear that doesn't include any romantic attraction whatsoever to Juri, nor any possibility of such in the future.

#14 | Back to Top03-05-2007 09:22:32 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Well Shiori's little "confessional" in the black rose episode strikes me that Juri and Shiori were doing the same thing: glossing over each others flaws and only remembering the good things. Someone pointed out that in flashbacks Juri didn't seem to behave all that differently... I think...
Also when she flipped out it I remembered "the lady doth protest too much," or something like that. Did anyone else flail around? If I remember right they seemed to collapse into themselves over their symbolic object not throw themselves away from it.

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#15 | Back to Top03-06-2007 12:44:35 PM

Toasty
Wakaba Wrangler

Anyone remember how Shiori freaks out during her elevator confession? First she's pleased as punch that 'poor little Juri' was secretly pining for her all this time, then her mood suddenly switches to naked panic. She sais something along the lines of 'what right does she have to look at me that way?'. That wasn't just an ordinary mood swing.
I gather that a lot of heterosexuals are uncomfortable around gay people because they're afraid they might be seen as 'bait' by someone of their own gender. That goes a long way to explain Shiori's sudden panic. At first, Shiori thought Juri's feelings for her gave her some kind of edge over Juri, which is what she always wanted. But it could easily go the other way. After all, this is Juri we're talking about. Shiori's always felt as if the incredibly talented Juri towered over her plain old self. Even looked down on her in pity. Juri must've always seemed vaguely threatening to her. And now she finds out that Juri wants her, and has no idea how to halt this 'threat'. Juri's feelings must've seemed like the ultimate insult to Shiori. Not content with condescending to her all these years, now Juri sees Shiori as the latest bit of 'bait' to have her way with. That's why she lashes out so violently in the elevator.
After that, I don't think anything resembling love between the two can still be possible. Knowing about Juri's feelings only makes thins worse for Shiori. From then on, she only seems to feel some twisted need to try and hurt Juri in whatever way she can, because only that allows her to feel good about herself. At best, Shiori loves to hate Juri.

I don't mind straight people as long as they can act gay in public.

#16 | Back to Top03-06-2007 01:10:38 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Umm, at no point after that does Shiori (in her right mind) go out of her way to hurt Juri. In fact, as far as we see, she avoids her (until the end of the series, where they seem to be friends again). Shiori does not get kicks out of tormenting Juri in the TV series, nor does she ever, even once, use the considerable power she could wield over Juri's emotions or express a desire to do so. Though she is envious of Juri and has cripplingly low self-esteem, her motivations are never shown to be malevolent and twisted like you (and others) have said.

#17 | Back to Top03-06-2007 03:38:48 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Sexual orientation issues do not change things much. Shiori is panicked because she doesn't want Juri to gobble her up; whether she could or could not reciprocate Juri's desire is beside the point.

But many of Shiori's confessions confuse more than clarify and there are alternate interpretations for many of them. Assume for the sake of argument that Juri is lesbian and Shiori is a shocked hetero-sexual, even that could probably be hashed out, if both of them had self-repect, respect for each other, were able to communicate, and were less stubborn and obsessive. They probably became friends in the first place because they had much in common and probably they have similar flaws, but in different proportions.

Last edited by brian (03-06-2007 03:42:11 PM)

#18 | Back to Top03-06-2007 03:44:35 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Ivy-chan wrote:

Nanami's feelings for Touga were already shown not to be sexual, romantic love.

Kinda nitpicking, but I don't think it is explicitly demonstrated that Nanami doesn't feel sexually towards Touga - I think she's confused, and there is the possibility she does have those sorts of feelings for him, but she's a 13 year old, so its kind of scary. I mean, she pushes him away when he tries to kiss her, but she watched him in the shower, and I got the impression she pushed him away at least partially because the thought of having that sort of feeling towards her brother is scary. I don't think even she knows how she feels for him, truly.

Wow, that really should be in another thread.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#19 | Back to Top03-06-2007 08:38:24 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

The concept of love, and how it turns into hate. I found a web page discussing about it. I don't know if it's credible discussion, but an idea is an idea, and I think the guy explains love pretty well.
If what the writer says is right, then Shiori's reactions in the confessional is her ego and pride doing the talk.

http://www.benbest.com/philo/philove.html

As for Nanami. I don't think she loves her brother in the romantic way. Her reaction when she saw Anthy screwing with Akio certainly was not a pleasant one. And during her final duel, she says she will surpass her brother. And when she loses, she breaks down, crying over her realization that she was only shining among the rest of the plain, normal girls because of her brother's presence, and now without him, she doesn't know how she can live on carrying the fact that she isn't someone special in this world anymore.
In a way, Nanami is just like Wakaba. They want to be special, or at least feel special, so they cling on to somebody who they KNOW is definitely special. It's like Utena said when she confessed to Anthy, "To be honest, my protecting you was just for my ego." Ultimately, everyone in Ohtori wants to become Dios. Very rarely do you see a character who loves someone because well, he/she loves that person.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-06-2007 08:38:47 PM)

#20 | Back to Top03-06-2007 10:49:14 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Blade wrote:

Umm, at no point after that does Shiori (in her right mind) go out of her way to hurt Juri.

How exactly do you define "in her right mind"?

#21 | Back to Top03-06-2007 11:03:09 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

alexielnet wrote:

How exactly do you define "in her right mind"?

I.E., not as a Black Rose Duellist.

#22 | Back to Top03-09-2007 03:59:20 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

You could say Shiori has sub-consciously tried to hurt Juri then, but I think only those two times. The first time, she thought she really loved the nameless boy, but then later along the line she realized she only wanted to steal him from Juri to put them on equal ground. Then, of course, going down the black rose elevator therapy session thingy is very much like going deep into your sub-conscious to the most nasty aspects of yourself. I don't think Shiori consciously tries to find every opportunity to hurt Juri, but she did try to twice, but probably only sub-consciously. She is indeed very "cruelly innocent", in that her innocence is cruel to Juri, and that she is often not aware of her own cruel actions.

#23 | Back to Top03-12-2007 06:39:39 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I've thought about this a lot, and I don't think Shiori loves Juri, at least not in the same way Juri loves her. I don't think she even has the capacity for romantic love until the end of the series.

Think of it this way. Pretty much every person she makes any kind of meaningful contact with in the entire series and exposition benifit her in some way. Juri defended her during her childhood. Nameless Boy was something she could use to compete with Juri, and Ruka made her look shiny and clean and popular. When we're little gender roles are a lot more muddled so Juri had the ability to play her prince. When we start to get older, gender roles become more defined and as far as society and practicality goes there isn't much use in putting stock in another girl being your prince, so Shiori subconciously wrote it off as pity and started treating Juri like she probably would any other girl, competition. I don't think Shiori JUST stole Namless Boy from Juri to hurt her. Juri's seen as a symbol of refinement and good taste at Ohtori, and any guy she's interested in must be the best one there. Most likely Shiori pursued NB for the same reasons she went after Ruka on some level.

I'm also pretty sure that's why Shiori threw that fit when she realised Juri was in love with her. Shiori has absolutely nothing practical to offer Juri, just companionship. When I was 11 I gave my baby sister a mirror for the first time and I watched her laughter progress to panic and confusion and eventually a crying fit over the simple fact that her goddamn face was there. That's exactly how Shiori looked to me during the black rose arc. It wasn't so much homophobia as much as she'd just been confronted with a concept that was so foreign to her it mindfucked her right there in the elevator. That bit at the end of the series seemed like she was finally getting used to the idea that Juri genuinely enjoyed her companionship. It's possible that once she get used to the idea, Shiori could still fall for Juri. I'm not sure she had a sexual orientation before that anyway.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#24 | Back to Top04-02-2007 09:15:43 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Part of what is tragic is that Shiori is already hurting Juri.  She hurts Juri every day through unrequited love and misunderstandings.  That's what makes her "cruelly innocent" when she 'steals' the boy from Juri and writes that letter.  She apologizes for hurting Juri and probably making Juri hate her...over the boy.  She doesn't realize how she actually hurting Juri, and that she was (presumably) hurting Juri before the boy 'came between them.'

I think Shiori *does* express a desire to hurt Juri.  She's not terribly creative about it, but she does have an urge to knock Juri off of her pedestal.  (The pedestal being in Shiori's head, of course.)

Episode 17 wrote:

Shiori: I've hated Juri-san ever since childhood.
Shiori: She's talented, beautiful, and loved by everyone.
Shiori: I was jealous of her because of that.
Shiori: That's it.
Shiori: I loved him because I wanted to steal something dear to her.
Shiori: That was all...
Shiori: So... So...
Mikage: Deeper. Go deeper.
Shiori: That's not it.
Shiori: Juri-san was so kind to me.
Shiori: But I thought she was kind to me because she looked down on me,
Shiori: and that she had pity on me for being plain and useless.
Shiori: That's pathetic!
Shiori: So I wanted to change my relationship with Juri-san.
Shiori: But what I did with him made me more miserable than before.
Shiori: I should have wanted it for myself!
Shiori: But now...
Shiori: Now I'm on equal terms with her. No, I've won!
Shiori: I always had a place in Juri-san's heart.
Shiori: I'm the winner!
Shiori: What shall I do? I'm so delighted to know my friend's secret I almost can't bear it!
Shiori: She suffered alone, looking at my picture in secret...
Shiori: That was Juri-san? Poor thing!
Shiori: No good! It's still no good!
Shiori: How could you look at me like that?!
Shiori: Why did it all turn out this way?

I don't see Shiori's thrashing as "homophobia" or heterosexual fear.  What she is saying is, "I feel that I'm less than Juri."  Being around Juri makes her feel plain, useless, and after her action with the "Nameless Boy": cruel.  In order to create some sense of self-worth, she first tries feeling hostile and hateful toward Juri and tries to take pleasure in hurting her by stealing things Shiori thinks Juri wants.  But she knows she doesn't really hate Juri, that it's done out of spiteful jealousy, and that makes her feel worse.  She shouldn't have gotten together with the boy because she wanted to steal something from Juri, she should have done it for herself.  Now Shiori feels more pathetic.  Except that Juri is secretly in love with her--Shiori tries to take pleasure from Juri's pain, pride from now being "the winner."  But "it's still no good", it's not right, and it's not working--it's not making Shiori feel any better about herself or about anything.

What's unlike the other Black Rose duellists--they each find someone to pin their hostility on by the end of the elevator ride.  When they go deeper, they find anger and cruel impulses caused by their buried jealousies (and other negative feelings they deny in their everyday lives).  Shiori starts from there and ends up in complete confusion.

Another part of what is tragic is that Shiori learned nothing from the Nameless Boy and the locket.  Even though Shiori realizes that it is her own self-loathing that causes her to feel hostile toward Juri, even though Shiori knows that none of her "solutions" are working (see Episode 17), she continues to do the same things.  Sometimes, even though we realize we're acting stupid--even though we know it's "no good", we find it nearly impossible to stop.

I saw her approach of Ruka as being the same as her conquest of the Nameless Boy.  She sees Ruka with Juri, and then she goes into the locker room.  She appears to be looking for his locker, and presses herself against it.  Why? Was she instantly smitten with his forelock? Was his popularity immediately apparent to her?  No--because he was with Juri, fencing with Juri, speaking to Juri.  (And Shiori may have known that they were good friends prior to his illness.)  I love when she answers her door after the duel & car crash.  Her posture and her hostility -- this is Shiori expressing her innermost self.

Episode 29 wrote:

Shiori:  Juri-san, so it's you.
Shiori:  What do you want?
Juri:  Shiori...
Shiori:  You came to laugh at me and feel all superior, didn't you?!
Juri:  Of course not--
Shiori:  You suck worse and worse every day! Did you expect me to cry for help on your shoulder?!
Shiori:  Too bad, but I'm not gonna do what you want me to.

Does Shiori love Juri?  I don't know if we see enough of her character to be absolutely certain of her sexual orientation.  I think Shiori did love Juri as a friend, at one point.  And probably still does, somewhere underneath all the bitterness.  If she didn't love Juri, it wouldn't cause so much emotional chaos for her to feel inferior to Juri.  And she wouldn't worry so much about Juri's true motives for being her friend.

So the thought that: maybe Shiori loved Juri all along makes some sense.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#25 | Back to Top04-02-2007 10:10:04 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Part of what is tragic is that Shiori is already hurting Juri.  She hurts Juri every day through unrequited love and misunderstandings.  That's what makes her "cruelly innocent" when she 'steals' the boy from Juri and writes that letter.  She apologizes for hurting Juri and probably making Juri hate her...over the boy.  She doesn't realize how she actually hurting Juri, and that she was (presumably) hurting Juri before the boy 'came between them.'

I think Shiori *does* express a desire to hurt Juri.  She's not terribly creative about it, but she does have an urge to knock Juri off of her pedestal.  (The pedestal being in Shiori's head, of course.)

I don't think that Shiori's motives were based entirely around hurting Juri. Stealing the boy from Juri was an attempt to do whatever she could to put the two of them on the same level. "Even though I'm no match for you at anything, at least my feeling for him is..." She sounds really desperate as she says this, too. Yes, she realized that this was going to hurt Juri, but I doubt that she knew how much it was going to hurt Juri. What person in their right mind would continue to sulk over something that happened over three years ago? Juri's the one who has given up on ever being happy again, and Shiori is hardly at fault for this. Even so, she does take a sadistic pleasure in knowing that Juri has been suffering all these years at the thought of not being with her.

The term, "Cruelly Innocent," seems to imply that her innocence is cruel to Juri. She's unaware of Juri's feelings, and that innocence is cruel to her.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I saw her approach of Ruka as being the same as her conquest of the Nameless Boy.  She sees Ruka with Juri, and then she goes into the locker room.  She appears to be looking for his locker, and presses herself against it.  Why? Was she instantly smitten with his forelock? Was his popularity immediately apparent to her?  No--because he was with Juri, fencing with Juri, speaking to Juri.  (And Shiori may have known that they were good friends prior to his illness.)  I love when she answers her door after the duel & car crash.  Her posture and her hostility -- this is Shiori expressing her innermost self.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that Shiori looked Ruka and thought, "Hey, Juri's looking at him... They must be in love! Sure, she's glaring at him, but Juri glares at me a lot, and she's still in love with me, right? I had better steal that boy from her, even though I tried the same thing three years ago, and it left me feeling even more miserable than before. On top of that, I was wrong about her feelings for that boy, so I had better jump to the same conclusion again. The fact that I recently discovered that she's a lesbian only confirms my suspicion!"

I think that Shiori saw Ruka as a replacement for Juri. He's the captain of the fencing team, just as Juri is. We can assume that Shiori showed up at the locker room to polish Juri's sword, since Ruka said that it wasn't his, and Juri's sword was right next to Ruka's locker.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Episode 29 wrote:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/RzMule/Rk85.jpg
Shiori:  Juri-san, so it's you.
Shiori:  What do you want?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/RzMule/Rk86.jpg
Juri:  Shiori...
Shiori:  You came to laugh at me and feel all superior, didn't you?!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/RzMule/Rk87.jpg
Juri:  Of course not--
Shiori:  You suck worse and worse every day! Did you expect me to cry for help on your shoulder?!
Shiori:  Too bad, but I'm not gonna do what you want me to.

I wouldn't say that this is Shiori expressing her innermost self-- quite the opposite, really. This is shortly after Shiori made a scene out of the entire school, causing everyone to look down on her and pity her. "You came to laugh at me and feel all superior, didn't you?!" Notice how it's Shiori's hand on the doorknob, and not Juri's. She's twisting it and pushing it forward, as though she's trying to reach Juri, but she can't. This isn't what she's assuming Juri will do, it's what she's afraid Juri will do. The chain on the door makes the same sound as her locket. In the end, they're both trapped by their feelings.

"You suck worse and worse every day! Did you expect me to cry for help on your shoulder?! Too bad, but I'm not gonna do what you want me to." This is what she's afraid of letting herself do. So, why does she lash out at Juri? It's because she can't stand the idea of letting Juri pity her. Rather than having Juri feel sorry for her, she lashes out, makes her hate her, and so that way she won't feel any need to pity her.

Board footer