This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-01-2007 10:38:35 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Most Disappointing/Worst Anime of '06

When I say '06, I mean stuff that aired or was released (in the case of OVA's and movies) in Japan during 2006.

Anyway, before I say what was most disappointing, I'll mention animes I started watching during the year but just stopped watching for whatever reason:

Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na (so achingly dull)
Shounen Onmyouji (I was expecting maybe some shounen-ai, but no such luck - too bad, it had pretty animation)
Tokimeki Memorial~Only Love~ (besides the chick [as in, baby chicken] in the first episode, it just wasn't funny enough)
Death Note (its good, but it just didn't interest me enough to keep watching)
Negima!? (it's ok, the character designs were wicked cute, but I was watching a bunch of better stuff already)
Code Geass (creepy over-the-top nationalism + ripping-off-a-Gundam-series-I-didn't-like-to-begin-with = why bother?)
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru (didn't grab me)
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (in this case, I think its because I watched it in correct chronological order - after seeing the final aired episode in its correct slot of episode 5, I didn't really care any more, even though I did find the characters and animation fairly enjoyable)
Cluster Edge (only included because I continued to sporadically watch episodes into early 2006)
Kashimashi (technically an '05 title, but it continued into '06)
High School Girls (manga was way better - the fanservice here was just creepy/weird give that this thing was supposedly aimed at teenaged females)
Inukami (decent until it dove into harem territory... although the guys-possessed-by-dogs episode was way weird; I dropped the moment I saw a maid)

As for which was the worst... well, I'm a little up in the air - I wanna say Cluster Edge, but that was technically a 2005 offering. Cluster Edge, though, was definitely the most disappointing, even considering its being a carry-over from '05. It had great potential - cool planes, pretty characters, potential shounen-ai/yaoi... but it just wasted it by being ridiculously boring and having flat, mostly annoying characters - especially the main one. I still am amazed that I managed to drag myself through sixteen episodes of this... and also sad because I know I'll NEVER get those eight hours of my life back!

As for worst, I guess it's a toss up between YoakeNa and Inukami. YoakeNa was just so insanely boring I'm surprised I survived two episodes (I actually was gonna even give it three, but then some creepy old guy kept bursting from under one of the girl's skirts which was just too much for me) - the only thing I liked about it were the female school uniforms. Inukami wasn't boring, really, but it just had too many weird bits and fanservice - in addition to it deciding to go the tired harem route. Too bad, 'cause Youko (ugh, wtf about the name) was pretty cute.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#2 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:20:23 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Re: Most Disappointing/Worst Anime of '06

I usually give up on anime I don't like fairly early, so I can't feel the burn of disapointment. These are all animes I watched more than two episodes of.

Kashimashi didn't disapoint me until the OVA came out. The ending was hilariously, "I HAVE MY CAEK AND EAT IT TOO" until the OVA came around and made her/him choose a girl.
Nishi no Yoki Majo - This was an 13 episode anime I actually stopped at episode 10, and I have a horrible compulsion to finish what I start. This SUCKED. Big time. Nothing ever happened to the point where it was offensive.
Eternal Alice/Kagihime - This was bad, but it made up for the fact that you could laugh at it so I still won and watched it the whole way through.
Jyu Oh Sei - About as good as shonen anime gets. It could've been in my top 5 of the year if the ending wasn't so unforgivably bad it made me want to punch my dog.
Yume Tsukai -  I'm crazy about the manga this is based on, but a theatric manga with a long winding plot doesn't make a cute little one-shot children's anime, no matter how quirky the characters are. I recommend episode 9 to anyone who is interested in this, though. It was as much of the manga you could cram into 20 minutes (not plot wise, but the way it made me feel)

emot-gonk

Last edited by Hinotori (01-01-2007 11:23:02 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#3 | Back to Top01-02-2007 12:04:05 AM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Princess Princess - I don't even know why I bothered with the first episode... it looked like another Sukisyo and it was.

Eyeshield 21 - This series didn't start in 2006 but it certainly was craptacular in 2006.  The anime continues to get worse and worse as the manga gets better and better. ;_;

D. Gray-man - the anime isn't horrible... but I'm a big fan of the manga and I have thus far been underwhelmed by the anime.

Witchblade - LAME.

Zero no Tsukaima - downloaded because it looked like Potter but not nearly as entertaining. 

Powerpuff Girls Z - None of the flare of the original.

#4 | Back to Top01-02-2007 10:01:01 AM

A Day Without Me

Oh man, I'd completely forgotten about Princess Princess! People assured me it was hilarious, but I watched two episodes and just didn't get it. It was like really, really bad shounen-ai, and at this point I just don't have to settle for that any more, so why bother? It's too bad, because I heard the manga was pretty funny, and did not toss lame shounen-ai around like a beachball (I'd like to point out I like shounen-ai/yaoi, but bad shounen-ai is just unforgivable).

As for Kashimashi, I didn't necessarily think it was bad - I liked the characters mostly, and it had a decent plot and pacing, but I guess it just didn't interest me enough to keep watching. Also, I thought Yasuna's weird vision thing was kind of lame, and seemed like the creators trying to justify her liking whats-her-face. The whole "well, you were once a boy!" thing also seemed like the creators trying to justify girls liking girls. And the father was wicked creepy once his boy became a girl.

Oh, and I just remembered another anime I dropped - Pretty Cure Splash Star. Hooray for the dumbing down of once-decent franchises! emot-mad

Last edited by A Day Without Me (01-02-2007 11:52:19 AM)

#5 | Back to Top01-02-2007 09:36:35 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The father was hilarious. He was my second favourite character of the show. What really made me mad is that I'm a die-hard Ayuki fan from the manga and her character and internal dialogue was absolutely drained into nothing.

Same with Asuta. I found myself kind of hoping he got Hazumu. D:

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#6 | Back to Top01-02-2007 10:08:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I've seen almost none of the anime on this list, but worst for me was Disgaea.  High School Girls was awful, but at least there was fanservice.  And I've actually enjoyed Death Note a lot thus far, but that's probably because I've never read the manga.

#7 | Back to Top01-02-2007 10:16:42 PM

A Day Without Me

I found the fanservice in High School Girls a bit creepy thought - it just seems like they couldn't make up their mind on whom it was aimed towards, so they just added in some random fanservice even though it felt like it was mostly meant for girls in the 15 to 18 bracket.

I'm not sure why I stopped watching Death Note - I didn't dislike it, and it certainly wasn't bad, but I guess it just didn't interest me enough to add it to my schedule (I'm currently following about six series).

EDIT: I feel like including that by about three episodes into Cluster Edge I was having an "OH GOD, MAKE IT STOP!" feeling about it. I only mention this because some idiot somewhere decided this series needed an OVA to be made for it emot-gonk

Last edited by A Day Without Me (01-02-2007 10:35:04 PM)

Board footer