This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-09-2008 08:06:20 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Sasuke no Kettousha -- Duellists of Ninja Warrior

Not sure if this belongs here or in another subforum, but I'm sure somebody will move it if need be.

Anyways, I always wondered after watching too much Ninja Warrior (go here for details!) for consistently healthy sanity, how would the cast of Utena fare in the tournament? Assuming they are participating in the 17th Tournament (before it all went to hell...damn the demons of Midoriyama!), how far would each of the duellists go before they wiped out? Would any of them achieve total victory? Or would their dreams of two million yen go crashing down in the defeat of muddy waters?

- Utena would probably breeze through the entire course with the Power of Dios, but be disqualified when Akio revealed her cheating technique.
- Touga would probably make it pretty far, perhaps even up to Final Stage. But I doubt he'd make it, as he'd be too tired.
- Saionji would tire himself out by the Third Stage, and fall on either the Body Prop or the Cliff Hanger.
- Juri would do well enough, until at least the Bridge of Destiny or the Pipe Slider. If she manages to pass those obstacles, total victory would probably be hers.
- Miki wouldn't make it past the Spider Walk. He'd either fall or forget to remove his gloves.
- Nanami would wipe out on the Jump Hang.
- Ruka wouldn't be attending the tournament, except maybe to cheer Juri on. He's dying, for crying out loud!
- Anthy wouldn't make it past the Sextuple Step. If she did, she'd probably wipe out on the Rolling Log. Then again, maybe she would make it through the four stages. She suffers from the Swords of Hatred, after all...
- Akio wouldn't waste his time on the competition. He'd probably be in the crowd, heckling the duellists.

If you've seen Ninja Warrior and have your own ideas as to how the cast would fare in the 17th Tournament, let us know! And if anybody can fill in the Black Rose Society, let us know that outcome, too... emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#2 | Back to Top03-09-2008 09:04:40 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Re: Sasuke no Kettousha -- Duellists of Ninja Warrior

I also imagine that Mikage and Mamiya would wipe out on the sextuple steps... they don't strike me as being very athletic.

Hmmmm, if I wanted to look at it from a more realistic POV... the results would probably be something like this:

Utena: Makes it to second stage... dunno if she'd pass or not
Anthy: Doesn't make it past 1st stage
Saionji: Wipes out on 3rd stage
Miki: Wipes out on 2nd stage
Juri: Same as Utena
Touga: Wipes out on 3rd
Nanami: Doesn't make it past 1st stage
Ruka: Dies halfway through :'(
Akio: Lol who knows. Maybe he would be the judge.

The only one who would be able to make it all the way to the top would be Chuchu.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#3 | Back to Top03-10-2008 12:11:09 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Juri would totally clean up on the Kunoichi course.

As for the rest, I don't think any character in the series has the necessary upper body strength to make it through the second round of the Sasuke, male or female.  Utena would also do quite well on the Kunoichi course, but I doubt she'd actually do it--she'd want to stick with Sasuke.

#4 | Back to Top03-10-2008 05:08:02 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

cool I love this show! and the male one has rather cute Asian men. I kinda want to see the American contenders due to the fact that I think that a large number of them shall end up on their assess in the water emot-dance

I just have this strange feeling that Saionji, Juri and Akio would do well make it to the third stage.

Saionji because of the drive and obsessive kendo practice, Juri all the damn fencing looks like it should give her mad upper body strength and Akio because he is the fucking end of the world (also he would kick ass on the female course because he demonstrates excellent balance)

emot-keke Well as a random side note mmmmmmmmmmm dripping wet touga and ruka school-devil emot-dance

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (03-10-2008 05:11:22 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#5 | Back to Top03-10-2008 08:32:42 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Juri would completely own Kunoichi, I agree Cerise. I also think Utena would do well at it.

I think Saionji or Touga might have a shot at Sasuke. Stage 3 would give both of them trouble, but most skilled swordsmen have very strong hands and forearms from what I understand. One of them might manage to get through it.

Since only 2 men have ever made it past Stage 4, I don't give them too much hope getting up the tower.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#6 | Back to Top03-10-2008 09:01:10 PM

Mylene

Since only 2 men have ever made it past Stage 4

Nagano Makoto is my hero.  etc-loveetc-loveetc-love  I remember watching him on Viking when he almost completed that particularly course (he's still the only person to have ever made it that far), and when I saw him on Sasuke, I immediately zeroed in on him as my favorite. emot-keke

I don't know, I still don't think any of the guys of SKU really have the arm strength.  They may be skilled with the sword, but we don't really see them doing anything to build up more strength than what is needed to swordfight, and Sasuke requires a heck of a lot more than that in my opinion.  I can't see Touga really taking the time to added to his strength just for something like this.  Saionji might, just to best Touga, but I could see him getting too focused and messing up in the first stage because his mind is on the overall goal rather than the obstacle directly in front of him.

#7 | Back to Top03-10-2008 11:53:07 PM

Ashnod
Website

Cerise wrote:

Since only 2 men have ever made it past Stage 4

Nagano Makoto is my hero.  etc-loveetc-loveetc-love  I remember watching him on Viking when he almost completed that particularly course (he's still the only person to have ever made it that far), and when I saw him on Sasuke, I immediately zeroed in on him as my favorite. emot-keke

I don't know, I still don't think any of the guys of SKU really have the arm strength.  They may be skilled with the sword, but we don't really see them doing anything to build up more strength than what is needed to swordfight, and Sasuke requires a heck of a lot more than that in my opinion.  I can't see Touga really taking the time to added to his strength just for something like this.  Saionji might, just to best Touga, but I could see him getting too focused and messing up in the first stage because his mind is on the overall goal rather than the obstacle directly in front of him.

He is awesome, isn't he? I'm still sad Yamada (Sasuke-san) has faired so poorly of late. I'm still hoping that Yakamoto Shingo can pull out one last great run too, and I'd spontaneously combust if Mizuno Yuko could win Kunoichi just ONCE after missing total victory by a fraction of a second back in Season 3.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#8 | Back to Top03-12-2008 12:24:56 AM

Ashnod
Website

I'm watching Kunoichi season 7 tonight. There was a competitor named Kozue. She looked nothing like her SKU namesake, however, the Japanese announcer clearly hollered out her name as "KOZUWAY" just like the American SKU.

I don't know whether to cut the American version a bit more slack now, or just chalk it up the announcer getting a little too excited in calling out her name.

#9 | Back to Top03-12-2008 07:00:40 AM

Mylene

I'm still trying to figure out why the American announce went from pronouncing Komiya Rie's name fairly correctly (at least I think they did the first time I watched...) to calling her Rye.  At first I thought maybe she herself had decided to switch to a "cool" pronunciation, but I'm pretty sure the Japanese announcer still calls her Rie.  Weird.  Otherwise, I think they do a commendable job with pronunciations.  Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than totally hacking it, like is usually the case.  I'm almost glad that Asagoe Shinobu (tennis player) retired, because I was tired of hearing what they'd come up with next in the list of mispronunciations of Asagoe.

I'd love to see Shingo make another really good run.  I don't care so much for Mizuno though.  I know she's made it to the final before and nearly got it, but most of the episodes I've seen she's usually screwed up in the first stage (I've seen I believe tournament 4 through 7, although maybe I caught part of 3...)  I'm more intrigued by Rie for some reason.  I'm also amused by Maho (can't remember the rest of her name), who in 7 looked completely stoned on the Domino section.  She looked like a lost puppy with Miyake Ayako there with her.  A stoned, lost puppy.

#10 | Back to Top03-12-2008 11:43:03 AM

Ashnod
Website

Cerise wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why the American announce went from pronouncing Komiya Rie's name fairly correctly (at least I think they did the first time I watched...) to calling her Rye.  At first I thought maybe she herself had decided to switch to a "cool" pronunciation, but I'm pretty sure the Japanese announcer still calls her Rie.  Weird.  Otherwise, I think they do a commendable job with pronunciations.  Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than totally hacking it, like is usually the case.  I'm almost glad that Asagoe Shinobu (tennis player) retired, because I was tired of hearing what they'd come up with next in the list of mispronunciations of Asagoe.

I'd love to see Shingo make another really good run.  I don't care so much for Mizuno though.  I know she's made it to the final before and nearly got it, but most of the episodes I've seen she's usually screwed up in the first stage (I've seen I believe tournament 4 through 7, although maybe I caught part of 3...)  I'm more intrigued by Rie for some reason.  I'm also amused by Maho (can't remember the rest of her name), who in 7 looked completely stoned on the Domino section.  She looked like a lost puppy with Miyake Ayako there with her.  A stoned, lost puppy.

Asagoe Shinobu retired????

Awwwww.

At least I still have Sugiyama Ai for a bit longer.

#11 | Back to Top03-12-2008 12:48:16 PM

Mylene

Ashnod wrote:

Asagoe Shinobu retired????

Awwwww.

At least I still have Sugiyama Ai for a bit longer.

I'm pretty sure Asagoe retired very quietly towards the end of the 2007 season.  Sugiyama's getting up there, but even if she stops playing singles, I doubt she'll drop doubles anytime soon.  Plus, there are up-and-comers.  And there's finally a man worth watching.  Nishikori Kei's been talked about a lot, much to my amusement.  After all, I was saying the same things in my blog last July that the professional writers are saying now. ^_-

Last edited by Cerise (03-12-2008 12:48:44 PM)

#12 | Back to Top03-14-2008 08:51:00 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I still can't believe Miyake wiped out on stage two of the 7th Tournament. That was just heartbreaking. emot-gonk

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#13 | Back to Top03-14-2008 11:48:47 PM

Ashnod
Website

BioKraze wrote:

I still can't believe Miyake wiped out on stage two of the 7th Tournament. That was just heartbreaking. emot-gonk

not as heartbreaking as Mizuno in stage 1. emot-gonk

#14 | Back to Top03-24-2008 02:55:58 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Mizuno's wipeout in Stage 1 was a ton and a half of suck, yes (as was Rena Higashi's faceplant on the Hop Rocket MK-II), but Miyake's the one who beat Kunoichi three times in a row. For her to wipe out so early, it's heartbreaking to me.

#15 | Back to Top03-25-2008 08:56:59 AM

Mylene

BioKraze wrote:

Mizuno's wipeout in Stage 1 was a ton and a half of suck, yes (as was Rena Higashi's faceplant on the Hop Rocket MK-II), but Miyake's the one who beat Kunoichi three times in a row. For her to wipe out so early, it's heartbreaking to me.

Same here.  I haven't seen the earlier episodes, so I've never really seen Mizuno do well (except for in little summaries that show her almost at the top of Midoriyama.)  For me, she's a sort of never-was, and I don't really pay attention to her.  On the other hand, it was just shocking to see Miyake go out, and of course how lost Maho looked when she moved onto the next stage alone.  Poor girl just looked lonely out there on Domino Hill.

I don't really have a favorite in the women's tournament like I do the men's, but I do enjoy recognizing people, such as the mother-daughter pair.  Familiarity makes me cheer a little louder. ^_-

#16 | Back to Top03-25-2008 11:40:06 AM

Ashnod
Website

Cerise wrote:

BioKraze wrote:

Same here.  I haven't seen the earlier episodes, so I've never really seen Mizuno do well (except for in little summaries that show her almost at the top of Midoriyama.)  For me, she's a sort of never-was, and I don't really pay attention to her.  On the other hand, it was just shocking to see Miyake go out, and of course how lost Maho looked when she moved onto the next stage alone.  Poor girl just looked lonely out there on Domino Hill.

I don't really have a favorite in the women's tournament like I do the men's, but I do enjoy recognizing people, such as the mother-daughter pair.  Familiarity makes me cheer a little louder. ^_-

Where as for me, I started with seasons 2 and 3 and Mizuno was the absolute shizznit back then. You're right that she's become a bit of a never-was, especially with Miyake's rise to the top of the Kunoichi elite.

I have to confess that I never really liked Miyake, probably because of an interview she gave on Sasuke where she made some remark about going to be the first woman to conquer Sasuke as well as Kunoichi. This was unfortunately the first time I watched her, so that's biased me despite how impressive she is on Kunoichi. I'm all for confidence, but the translation of it seemed a bit like she believed she was the only woman worthy to compete on Sasuke. Of course, I don't know enough Japanese to know if it was just the translation of what she said or if that's really what she was implying.

I like to watch her in action, but I'm never really pulling for her either.

#17 | Back to Top03-26-2008 09:35:24 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

In Kunoichi, I go for Miyake and Rena Higashi (the daughter of the mother-daughter team). As far as Sasuke goes, I go for Nagano, Takeda, Yamamoto...really, all of the All-Stars, to be honest.

Shame that Akiyama retired because of his degenerative eye disease. But it's unlikely that he'd ever be able to pull off total victory a second time, not with him being blinder than a bat at night... emot-frown

#18 | Back to Top08-03-2008 05:06:34 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Who else saw the first Sasuke tournament special on G4 today (that is, 3 August 2008)?

It was cool, but not as cool as the other tourneys, IMHO.

What did you all think?

Last edited by BioKraze (08-03-2008 05:23:38 PM)

#19 | Back to Top08-03-2008 05:26:47 PM

Mylene

BioKraze wrote:

Who else saw the first Sasuke tournament special on G4 today?

Paradox and I did!  But of course!

I thought it was neat.  It was a little bit closer to a long Ultimate Banzuke than what we're used to for Sasuke, at least during the first couple of rounds.  I still loved it, because I always love Sasuke, but I'm even more looking forward to the upcoming tournament.  They've started advertising for American Ninja Challenge 3.  They should totally do one for Kunoichi someday.  I'd be willing to buy a camcorder to try and audition for that. school-devil

#20 | Back to Top08-03-2008 05:30:32 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

And I'd cheer you on! emot-dance

#21 | Back to Top08-03-2008 06:20:53 PM

Triforce742
Pained Growlithe

They're really already doing advertisements for the 3rd American Ninja Challenge. Damn, they're going through these tournaments very quickly. Two a year I guess is more than I figured. Anyways, should be good if the guy from last time gets on there. The only disappointment was Nagano wiping out so early.       
As for a female ninja challenge. I'm all for it, and will get started on the petitions right away.

"LAUGH WITH ME"
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk113/Triforce742/MGS4BeastLaughingOctopus-2.jpg

#22 | Back to Top08-09-2008 03:08:39 PM

Mylene

As it's related, a quick Olympics FYI.

Jordan Jovtchev, a former Sasuke finalist and frequent competitor (he even competed in Sasuke 20, when other Olympians skipped for training) will be competing in gymnastics this Olympics.  Both Hamm twins are out due to injury, and searches using Yahoo!'s athlete listing seem to suggest that Nagasaki, despiting skipping Sasuke 20 for Olympic training, is also not competing.  Iketani and Daisuke Nakada were also not listed in the athlete listing that I could find (although they're both old enough that I would assume they'd have retired by now--but then again, look at Jordan...)

So let's cheer on our Almost Ninja Warrior! ^_^

#23 | Back to Top11-12-2008 08:42:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Posting the results of Sasuke Tournament 21!

The American kid who whipped the demons of Midoriyama on the second stage where Nagano failed, Levi Meeuwenberg, made his second appearance. But the tables were turned this time around. Levi failed, while Nagano went far enough to almost defeat Stage Three. We now know that the newest, most devious incarnation yet of the Cliff Hanger can indeed be defeated (both Takeda and Nagano did it!) and the Jumping Bars' complementary obstacle, the Bridge of Destiny, has been replaced by the Ascending Climb. After that is the insidious Spider Flip, a mix of Spider Wall and Body Prop, and the final obstacle is no longer the infamous Pipe Slider, but instead the new Gliding Ring. Nagano made it to the end of the Gliding Ring before he took a swim. I was kinda hoping he'd make it through to the Final Stage and claim total victory once again...

On a more amusing note, the hosts of Attack of the Show! (Kevin Perera and Olivia Munn) both tried their hand at Sasuke, with Kevin making it to the Log Grip before failing. Olivia couldn't even pass the Sextuple Step. So much for them, I guess. They'd better stick to microphones and teleprompters.

#24 | Back to Top11-13-2008 05:56:44 AM

Mylene

As soon as I saw the Spider Flip, I knew Nagano would do it easily.  It's a much easier version of an obstacle from the show Viking, which he also competed on.

I was really impressed by Luci.  Being able to do the Spider Jump at her height is amazing, shame she lost her concentration, because I think the rest of the course would have been an absolute cinch for her as a stuntwoman and gymnast.  Now granted, I don't think she'd do all that well after that point, but still. She definitely proved that the Spider Jump isn't impossible for the short.  That surprised me completely.

#25 | Back to Top11-13-2008 10:42:49 AM

Ashnod
Website

Mylene wrote:

As soon as I saw the Spider Flip, I knew Nagano would do it easily.  It's a much easier version of an obstacle from the show Viking, which he also competed on.

I was really impressed by Luci.  Being able to do the Spider Jump at her height is amazing, shame she lost her concentration, because I think the rest of the course would have been an absolute cinch for her as a stuntwoman and gymnast.  Now granted, I don't think she'd do all that well after that point, but still. She definitely proved that the Spider Jump isn't impossible for the short.  That surprised me completely.

is this still on G4? I haven't seen it on that channel in a while.

Board footer