This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-27-2007 05:05:13 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

Re: Utena: Remastered Release in the works?

*salivates*  Oh man, even if all they do is clean up the images, I will shell out all my savings for that set.  Even if I have to buy a new DVD player.

Utena has stolen my soul...

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#52 | Back to Top12-27-2007 06:20:46 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

http://www2.jrt.co.jp/cgi-bin3/ikuniweb … cgi?no=336

A'ight, here's what I translated from the beginning of this post. I mostly used Babelfish, so, erm, forgive me? If it doesn't link correctly, it's the one with the picture of bare-chested Akio.

Today is 'Revolutionary Girl Utena's 10th anniversary of its broadcast ending. (Maybe)

You had written about this "certain work" for awhile and stayed informed with the Topics section. Right now, it's in reruns. In regards to the details, it's possible for me to keep you notified through the blog. (There maybe some things that can't be said clearly.)

Anyway,
A few days ago, I went to 'Kouenji's Special Person' video studio. They did Utena's video.

Episode 25: Their Eternal Apocalypse
Episode 27: Nanami's Egg

(I have no idea what he says about episode 24 and 26. Moving on...and what is Kouenji's Special Person?)

Episode 25: There are a lot of cels for the scene of the car at night, and the film is soiled fiercely. The episodes after use this as bank footage so cleaning this is pretty serious.

Episode 26: I just remembered. The middle of "Aphrodite Scat" has bad singing and skips, but what happened to my voice?
(I took some liberties with this and kind of didn't know what he was saying.)

In the last cut, the last shot of Anthy has such a sad expression. This is Chu Chu's taste in money. (Once again, I have no idea. <.<)

Episode 25: Suddenly, the power-up with Saionji re-appears. Why does Saionji power-up? Of course, because the supervising director took a ride in the car. (Okay, I'm certain it says that. Ikuni, WTF? XD)

Why would the supervising director take a ride in the car for Saionji to power-up? At this time, the story is now with the staff.

I'm giving up on the rest for somebody who speaks much better Japanese than me. XD Don't take any of this as fact. I'm pretty rubbish even when I tried cleaning it up.

And that's all I got.

#53 | Back to Top12-27-2007 06:48:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

spiralstairs wrote:

Why would the supervising director take a ride in the car for Saionji to power-up? At this time, the story is now with the staff.

Because Saionji is a piece of ass. Duh. Silly Ikuhara.

Is it odd that I can take so uh...unseriously, someone who had such a hand in something that's changed my life? Seriously Ikuhara's like...insane.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#54 | Back to Top12-27-2007 06:51:10 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Giovanna wrote:

spiralstairs wrote:

Because Saionji is a piece of ass. Duh. Silly Ikuhara.

Is it odd that I can take so uh...unseriously, someone who had such a hand in something that's changed my life? Seriously Ikuhara's like...insane.

I think a better translation will help this a lot. Right now I have no idea if they're just doing color touch-ups or actually re-animating some parts. XD

#55 | Back to Top12-27-2007 06:55:50 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I will personally carry Ikuhara's children if they're actually reanimating some of it, but it doesn't sound like it. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#56 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:08:42 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I will personally carry Ikuhara's children if they're actually reanimating some of it, but it doesn't sound like it. emot-frown

As Arsenic said above, even if it is "just" cleaning up every last cel of animation, a remastered SKU will look simply amazing. cool

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#57 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:11:25 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

As Arsenic said above, even if it is "just" cleaning up every last cel of animation, a remastered SKU will look simply amazing. cool

Oh hells yes. etc-loveetc-loveemot-biggrinemot-biggrinetc-loveetc-love

#58 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:18:52 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

DO WANT.

This is seriously good news. I prefer to wait until the super-ultra-remastered-etc collectors edition of my favorite shows and movies come out before I invest in DVD sets anyway. They're welcome to my cash if they really release this, even if it's a minor cosmetic upgrade.

#59 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:23:43 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

Well, you know, maybe we'll get lucky, and the cells will be damaged so badly they'll HAVE to reanimate them!  ^___^  But I doubt that they'd take the time and money to do any serious re-animating.  At this point, I'm just hoping we maybe get some interviews, or concept sketches, or any kind of new bonus content really.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#60 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:30:29 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

ArsenicForBreakfast wrote:

Well, you know, maybe we'll get lucky, and the cells will be damaged so badly they'll HAVE to reanimate them!  ^___^  But I doubt that they'd take the time and money to do any serious re-animating.  At this point, I'm just hoping we maybe get some interviews, or concept sketches, or any kind of new bonus content really.

Omg. Concept sketches. UNRELEASED concept sketches. Interviews! INFORMATION! emot-biggrin emot-biggrin emot-biggrin I think I just came a little in my pants. *waddles away for a change of undies* [/such a behind-the-scenes dork it's getting embarassing]etc-wankgirl

#61 | Back to Top12-27-2007 07:46:46 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

spiralstairs wrote:

ArsenicForBreakfast wrote:

Omg. Concept sketches. UNRELEASED concept sketches. Interviews! INFORMATION! emot-biggrin emot-biggrin emot-biggrin I think I just came a little in my pants. *waddles away for a change of undies* [/such a behind-the-scenes dork it's getting embarassing]etc-wankgirl

I concur!  Especially because Ikuhara is such a little bitch about giving us information.  I want to know what's behind the curtain!

#62 | Back to Top12-27-2007 08:09:25 PM

darkshift
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I want. emot-aaa emot-rofl

#63 | Back to Top12-28-2007 12:40:56 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

I just hope more than anything else that this will get an R1 release, even if it means having to wait for CPM's license to expire and someone else to pick it up... and realistically, that may be a long shot.  It would seem that most US anime companies just don't license decade old surreal shoujo...

Actually, if the license expires I could see this happening.  Lost Universe and Slayers got remastered releases here so far, so hopefully this trend continues with Utena.  The biggest hurdle though is how expensive is the license.  I don't really recall how expensive Utena was for CPM, although they did take a long time to release the whole thing.

#64 | Back to Top12-28-2007 03:36:25 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I don't want to have to buy the series again, but if I can get the series without the subtitles burned onto very frames of the animation during duels, that would be great. You know, for AMV purposes. I think that alone would be worth it. Those song subtitles take up SO much of the screen. emot-gonk

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#65 | Back to Top12-28-2007 04:35:54 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

I just hope more than anything else that this will get an R1 release, even if it means having to wait for CPM's license to expire and someone else to pick it up... and realistically, that may be a long shot.  It would seem that most US anime companies just don't license decade old surreal shoujo...

Actually, if the license expires I could see this happening.  Lost Universe and Slayers got remastered releases here so far, so hopefully this trend continues with Utena.  The biggest hurdle though is how expensive is the license.  I don't really recall how expensive Utena was for CPM, although they did take a long time to release the whole thing.

Well, we could always take the tried and true Democratic route and start a petition.  Even if the lisence is cheap, it'll only get picked up by someone else if they think there'd be enough interest in the product.  And hey, if everyone on the forums signed it, we'd be well on our way, wouldn't we?

#66 | Back to Top12-28-2007 07:32:10 PM

evolutionkakumei
New Student

Wow...

If there is any show that deserves an HD remaster it is this one.

The artwork on this show is incredible...it was never meant to look washed out.

Soo happy....

mk2000

#67 | Back to Top12-29-2007 09:40:29 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

I wonder when the whole thing will come out. Maybe 2008-09 at all?

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#68 | Back to Top12-29-2007 10:11:11 AM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

BalamiyaVardihi wrote:

I wonder when the whole thing will come out. Maybe 2008-09 at all?

I'm almost wondering if they'll start releasing stuff in April as a kind of anniversary release? If they're still cleaning stuff up, it might take longer as they'd still need to work with the sound, design new covers, and jump through all the legal hoops. I don't see why it wouldn't be an '08 release though. emot-smile HOORAY!

#69 | Back to Top12-29-2007 11:00:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'd be shocked to see this released in the US any time soon. The Evangelion remasters did make it stateside, didn't they? But SKU isn't Evangelion, it took years just to see episodes after the BRS get released. SKU has at best been a sleeper hit here, I'm really wondering if they think they have the market. Then again it seems like anymore anything that's animated or drawn in Japan comes here. The market just seems oversaturated with crap anymore. emot-frown

That said, what are the options for viewing the Japanese imports? How lovely that would have been at the con, on those plasma TVs at the Hilton. emot-frown

#70 | Back to Top12-29-2007 11:26:55 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Giovanna wrote:

I'd be shocked to see this released in the US any time soon. The Evangelion remasters did make it stateside, didn't they? But SKU isn't Evangelion, it took years just to see episodes after the BRS get released. SKU has at best been a sleeper hit here, I'm really wondering if they think they have the market. Then again it seems like anymore anything that's animated or drawn in Japan comes here. The market just seems oversaturated with crap anymore. emot-frown

That said, what are the options for viewing the Japanese imports? How lovely that would have been at the con, on those plasma TVs at the Hilton. emot-frown

It probably does depend on the moneys and the Japanese company. There's so much profit to be had in the new Sailormoon manga editions, and those subtitled seasons came out right before the license ended, but last I heard, Toei doesn't want to renew it. I am mind-boggled as to why not when they could be raking in a small fortune.

Maybe Funimation will be good to us and buy the rest of the rights. Ook! Maybe they'll give it a new dub! *salivates* I was stuck in traffic today and actually trying to think of a new cast with better voice actors. XD Lauren Tom as Kozue, and that's as far as I got. I kept trying to think of where you could have Tress Macneille and I couldn't think of her in a role outside of Mom, Mrs. Skinner, or the women of Planet Amazonia. Heeheeheee.

#71 | Back to Top12-29-2007 11:55:34 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Surely, someone has hacked the firmware or flashed the memory on their laptop's optical drive, making it region free. emot-dance

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#72 | Back to Top12-30-2007 10:10:39 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Ashnod wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Surely, someone has hacked the firmware or flashed the memory on their laptop's optical drive, making it region free. emot-dance

VLC player negates the need to hack the firmware.  I know Lightice questioned this before, but if you Google VLC region free, you'll see many pages describing how hacking firmware is not necessary when using VLC player.  The only thing you really have to do is disable your default DVD player from auto-playing.  There are some exceptions where this won't work I think, but for most it does.  That's what I did on my old Dell, and it's what I'm going to do on my new one as well.  I haven't popped a R2 yet on this one, but I'll do a double check in the next few days.  I did nothing more than install VLC--no extras at all.

Fake Edit: Just put in my NANA R2. It played without any issues at all.

#73 | Back to Top12-30-2007 10:20:56 AM

Ashnod
Website

Cerise wrote:

Ashnod wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

VLC player negates the need to hack the firmware.  I know Lightice questioned this before, but if you Google VLC region free, you'll see many pages describing how hacking firmware is not necessary when using VLC player.  The only thing you really have to do is disable your default DVD player from auto-playing.  There are some exceptions where this won't work I think, but for most it does.  That's what I did on my old Dell, and it's what I'm going to do on my new one as well.  I haven't popped a R2 yet on this one, but I'll do a double check in the next few days.  I did nothing more than install VLC--no extras at all.

Fake Edit: Just put in my NANA R2. It played without any issues at all.

So, you're coming to NYC for Rose Con, right? emot-biggrin

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#74 | Back to Top12-30-2007 10:23:51 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Ashnod wrote:

Yup, but I don't have a laptop. ;p

#75 | Back to Top12-30-2007 12:14:33 PM

Ashnod
Website

Cerise wrote:

Ashnod wrote:

Yup, but I don't have a laptop. ;p

oh. THAT VLC player. Huh. i have it installed on my machine already. emot-redface For whatever reason, I thought you were referring to a type of drive.

Board footer