This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top09-24-2012 09:18:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

No probs, I'm glad you found stuff you liked.  etc-love  I love palettes so much.  So... so organized...and colorful....

I generally avoid most colored lip products, since my lips are not thin nor thick enough to really pair too well with any color that isn't a nude.  Lip products (besides scrubs, conditioners and balms) aren't a big part of my daily routine, and when I do wear them I put concealer (won't dry them out if you put a balm under it or use a moisturizing lipstick) on my lips first because I am an idiot who likes to wear warm toned lip colors over my cool toned lips.  XD

MyMakeUpAlley and the MakeUpTalk forums are great places to look for product reviews, and have tons of members.  Word of mouth here is better than in comments sections for brand sites (Clinique) or online stores (Sephora and Ulta) where you typically only see accolades for any product simply because most people won't purchase something online that they don't already like when it comes to make-up. 

If you have little luck with foundation, you could try a tinted moisturizer.  Since the coverage is light, you don't have to apply all over the face.  Applying under the eyes, over the nose and blending that out into the cheeks will give you that even-toned look without lines, and setting it with a translucent powder will keep it there and prevent it from oxidizing and darkening.  You could also try corrector colors, specifically green.  Concealor alone doesn't do much of anything unless it is pasty, but a spot of green color corrector applied under or mixed into foundation/concealer can do wonders.  I have red cheeks as well on pale skin (and red around my nose), and color corrector is the only way I've found of successfully covering it without piling on the foundation.   

The only other advice I can think of is to try for a foundation with matte finish, or a higher brand foundation like Clinique, MAC or Chanel.  Drugstore foundation has always looked god-awful to me, it all seems to dry into the same super light, powdery finish if you apply too much but look pink and shiny and oxidize like crazy no-matter what steps I take to control moisture and oil if I apply it too light.  Just never buy a foundation the first day you look for it if you go for a more expensive brand.  Try it on in store and ask for a sample and then re-check how it looks later in the the day and in natural light to see how it wears and if it oxidizes any, because otherwise you will not get a true color match for your skintone.  Those super bright lights in Sephora's and such pretty much blank your face and make most foundations appear to match it.

OOOH.  Also, Clinique has a line of skin and make-up products called Redness Solutions.  It's all designed specifically to mask and treat redness issues.  Powders, foundations, foundation specifically for wearing over and treating acne break outs, and most it also soothes swelling as well.  A lovely idea, really, for people with rosacea, acne, or redness of any kind.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-24-2012 09:20:29 PM)

#52 | Back to Top09-24-2012 09:23:25 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THOSE LIP TARS LOOK SO KEWL

Anything that promises opaque color has my ear.  My only concerns would be it drying out the lips or feathering, and if the finish dries matte, or looks a bit more like acrylic paint, which is an issue I take with many "moisturizing" or "semigloss" lipsticks.

#53 | Back to Top09-26-2012 02:51:12 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Anyone else having problems with eyeliners? Whether I use the liquid sort or the pencil sort, it never turns out well. ;/

#54 | Back to Top09-26-2012 03:01:31 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Does it not look right? Do you have trouble applying it?

Help me help you. school-eng101

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#55 | Back to Top09-26-2012 05:39:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I pretty much suck at eyeliners as well; partly because I have protruding eyes with lots of visible lid space around the inner corners, so cat eyes, the traditional look when one images liner, does not work for me.  It seems tacky, but thick eyeliner is what actually works best provide I smudge it out at the outer corners.  Look up eye shapes (wide set, close set, hooded, protruding, upturned, deep set, monolid, almond -you can be more than one) and that will help you determine what liner look is appropriate for you in the first place.  Two, acclimate yourself to smudgy pencil liners and eyeshadow(wet or dry)/cream liners applied with an angled eyeliner brush (one kind of brush that works just as well when bought on the cheap!) first, as they do what the basic purpose of most liners should do -thicken the lash line by visually filling in the visible lid space or 'gaps' between your lashes, and are pretty easy to use.

Some other things to consider:

Colorful liners are easier to get used to before strong blacks and liquid liners.  In a way, they are very forgiving.

Dark eyeliners shrink your eyes, peach, pink, white and nude eyeliners are meant to highlight the inner corners of your eye or go along the bottom waterline and widen your eyes and make you appear more awake.  Dark purples, browns and navy blues can be great for a smudged look without the sharp severity of a black liner.

I typically find it easier, when applying liner from the outer edge of the eye to start there and move inward as opposed to the opposite -the thinnest point on the line will thus be outside the eye and than you can easily thicken the line across the lid.

Going across the path you want your eyeliner to take with a light amount of similarly colored eyeshadow will not only help your eyeliner last longer, but act as a path to trace and give you an idea of what a particular line will look like BEFORE you put on that temperamental liner. 

You don't always have to connect the top/bottom lid liners on the inner corner of the eye, but it is strongly suggested you do for the outer corner.

Primers can help "tighten" and smooth the skin on the eye, making application of liner easier.

Don't tug the lid, press the pad of your finger next to the area you want to cover for a bit of pressure, but never tug.  It causes wrinkles and will eff up your application.

For some reason, putting on liner with your mouth open helps you keep from blinking too much.

Do the eye you have trouble with first.  It's easier to match the other eye to the way it looks than to match it with your 'easier' eye. 

Tightlining is supah easy once you get used to the feeling.  Use a soft pencil that isn't too sharp and a liquid.  Run it along your bottom water line and just under your lashes on the upper. If you don't bring this color all the way to the inner corner of your eye and just do the top it adds thickness to your lashes without screaming, "eyeliner." 

Place some tape on the back of your clean hand.  Then use that tape on your eyes to act as "paint guides" for your liner.

If you mess up, give the liner a second to dry and then cover it with heavy concealer/foundation using a BRUSH, and PATTING, so that you don't just smear/mix the liner into the product.

When choosing a liner these are your quality checks:  Good, true to color pigmentation (especially with black liners, which can apply gray, translucent looking or faded), smudges if it is supposed to, stays put if it ain't, smooth, non gloopy for liquid liners, pencil liners that are not hard (bad color payoff and injury risk) but not so soft they crumble when applied to the eye (keep in mind pencils apply easier and smoother on your flat, tight skin of the back of your hand than on your sensitive eyelid), sort of a waxy texture is nice.   Non-irritating and non-flaking. 

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.  It's pretty much you painting on your face, and all the tips are great to know, but you only gain skill through doing it. 

As for what liner looks good with what eyeshape/eyeshadow look, I HAVE NO CLUE.  emot-biggrin

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-26-2012 08:02:09 PM)

#56 | Back to Top09-26-2012 10:05:34 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I go through black eyeliner like no joke, I use so much of it, cat eye, thick liner, all day everyday. I tried to do a simple thin line near the lash line but that's just way too subtle for me. What I've learned over the course of my love affair with eyeliner:

Gel Liner like Maybelline Drama Eye Liner or ELF's cream eye liner: This stuff is like crack, it goes on with an applicator, so you can control the line and it gives you all the raccoon eyes you could ever want.

Wet N Wild kohl eyeliner in black: Rub this across your finger before you apply (this is better for when you're going back over the line with another liner or something else)

ELF eyeliner pen: I think this is probably the best thing for beginners because it's like a pen and you can just draw your liner on

Liquid eyeliners: Challenge accepted. I use NYC's liner and it's so-so, but I haven't found a brand that has a tip I like just yet. So I usually do two things: Gel liner + Liquid liner.

And, I saw Mocha's post about makeups a little too late, NYX makes really good makeup that does not break your bank, and the stuff is really, REALLY good. Also, another good place to get eyeshadow palettes, is Wet'n'Wild...they have new palettes that have 8 pots of eyeshadow for $5 and it's super pigmented, goes on easy and you can get shimmer and matte. So what a deal.

Also everyone who follows this thread should go to this tumblr:

drugstoreprincess.tumblr.com <<<<<<< Not only does she do reviews, she does tutorials, tips, and most of her makeup tips will not break your bank.

Last edited by lex (09-26-2012 10:10:02 PM)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#57 | Back to Top09-27-2012 07:43:42 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I love that blog!

And Wet n Wild pallets are GREAT. (I'm loving all the WnW love on this thread.)  Even if only because their intense pigmentation gives you the opportunity to try out different colors and find your compliments without burning a hole in your wallet.  They also depot easily, are labeled for beginners, and they have tons of color MATTES OMG.  Since I do hear they have fallout problems, I suggest a make-up setting spray rather than a primer.  Primer makes it last longer, but don't do no shit for fallout. 

Someone told me you can mix your powder eyeshadow with primer to make a great faux-cream shadow or liner.  Anyone know anything about this?  I know you can mix your moisturizer and concealer but hrm. 

We should do swaps, yous gaiz.  Even just samples.  I have SO MANY samples I'm never going to use; perfumes, primers, cleanser, foundation, hair product, anti-aging.  I even have a deluxe sample of NARS tinted moisturizer that I've only used a smidge of once and didn't care for I'd be glad to give/trade.

#58 | Back to Top09-27-2012 07:49:52 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I love liners, I had so maaany. My Rimmel pencil was one of my faves, but I second the gel liner love. I have shaky hands, so I like that gel can look as precise as a liquid liner, but is more forgiving like a pencil. And of course, I love just using black eye shadow when I want a smudgy, sooty look.

I haven't bought anything yet, so I'll definitely check out NYX. I'm kind of surprised to hear all the WnW love, because I remember them being terrible back when I was in high school, but if they've improved enough to win y'all over, that's definitely saying something.

Btw, I spent so much time on that tumbr today. She is so totally followed now. Y'all are the source of so many awesome things to follow.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#59 | Back to Top09-27-2012 08:45:57 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Apparently WnW has made a concerted effort to improve their products and their rap.  I still assert that their nail polishes trump many higher brand polishes and come in shades that get me so complimented in public by women I don't know -the SECRET GOAL OF MAKE-UP.

#60 | Back to Top09-27-2012 08:49:33 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I wasn't on the WnW love train until a fellow makeup junkie I went to school with did a review. She also told me that some of the gift sets you see at Wal-Mart and the drugstores around Christmas are made/owned by the same company who owns Wet-n-Wild. Just look for Markwins on the packaging. I snagged a giant one with 12 eyeshadows, two cream eyeliners, two cream/gel glitters, and 5 eye crayons for about $7.50 last January.

NYX is great, too, but it can be hard as hell to find in stores. It's a national brand, but it's not available everywhere. There are people in large cities who have only spotted it at ULTA and random beauty supply stores in the 'hood. Thank goodness for their website.

Meanwhile, I snagged a ton of free eyeshadow from a indie brand on Copious. I still need to look at the swatch photos I took, but holy shit y'all. I have a brown eyeshadow that has a light green duochrome thing happening, and it's fucking nuts. The brown is outright nude on me, but the green just shines. I was going to do a Tumblr post with a photoset, but I got followed by another indie company that I buy shit from, so I'd feel weird doing a review.

OITL wrote:

Someone told me you can mix your powder eyeshadow with primer to make a great faux-cream shadow or liner.  Anyone know anything about this?  I know you can mix your moisturizer and concealer but hrm.

This is news, so I Googled.

This person made her own cream shadow with Vaseline, eyedrops(good sub for mixing medium), and a little primer. Or you can do this one, with rubbing alcohol and an oil.

#61 | Back to Top09-27-2012 08:57:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Neato, I adore DIY make-up tutorials on Youtube, especially the ones that help find uses for old/almost used up products. 

This video may be helpful for people wanting a bit of an update on the quality and kinds of eyeshadow WnW is producing somewhat lately:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuGt9p5SE-A  She is an ambassador, but she is also brutally honest.  If she sounds like a news anchor that is because she is XD

#62 | Back to Top09-28-2012 02:13:02 PM

lex

I etc-loveetc-loveetc-love this thread so much!

Yeah, OITL, that tumblr is addictive, I spent like an hour looking at the blush tag. No shame. No shame at all.

Raven, that's exactly where I get my NYX from either Ulta or beauty supply stores, and I'm not sure but this is what I've seen in California is that they carry NYX at Nordstrom Rack.  It's a bit pricier at Nordstrom Rack but not too steep.  What I love right now is their soft cream lip matte, I just bought one in nude and was amazed at how good it was.

Does anyone else have current obsessions?

#63 | Back to Top09-28-2012 02:59:33 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

White and Electric Blue Eyeliners!  I use the white on my waterline to make my eyes look SUPER SPARKLY in a way that's hard to describe (as in, you don't see/think "make-up") and doubles as a highlighter.  Electric blue eyeliner looks awesomesauce no-matter how you wear it... it gets you noticed even if it's just a short swipe on the outer corner of the eye. 

Actually, I love just a colored liner on a nuetral/nude base (shimmer or matte) rather than spending a lot of time blending shadows.  It's such a cool, precise use of color -bold without being overwhelming, and so much easier to work with than a black liner.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-28-2012 02:59:54 PM)

#64 | Back to Top09-28-2012 03:58:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

Raven, that's exactly where I get my NYX from either Ulta or beauty supply stores, and I'm not sure but this is what I've seen in California is that they carry NYX at Nordstrom Rack.  It's a bit pricier at Nordstrom Rack but not too steep.  What I love right now is their soft cream lip matte, I just bought one in nude and was amazed at how good it was.

Does anyone else have current obsessions?

Back in Houston, that place with 4 million people, I only could find it at ULTA and one or two HEB grocery stores. That was it. Then after I moved back home, Hot Topic started selling select items like the glitter palettes.

At the moment, I'm obsessed with not sucking. The concept of blending escapes me, and trying to blend in a flattering shape is hard when I'm not sure if I should be following my lid shape or my brow shape.

From a stylistic standpoint, I'm all about cut creases and smokey eyes with color in the crease. I had decent luck with a black lid and a purple crease, but pics didn't happen.

My personal "if I weren't broke" wishlist is a perfect, true green or emerald green eyeshadow.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-28-2012 03:59:25 PM)

#65 | Back to Top09-28-2012 06:27:21 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Okay, some nice advice in here. emot-biggrin Now I want to go out and by some makeup, but it's kind of late over here.

And yeah, my eyes aren't very big, so I guess black eyeliner might make them look a little beady. Uh, or something. To be honest though, it will probably take a while to digest all of OTL's post, because this stuff is confusing to me, but I guess getting some white eyeliner might be an idea!

#66 | Back to Top09-28-2012 07:46:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OMG, Drugstore Princess just answered a question about how to work with small eyes not 20 minutes ago, so I'll just link it.

#67 | Back to Top09-28-2012 09:52:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

White eyeliner just wants to love you.  Swears, a good foundation, under eye concealor and white liner, then just brush your brows with a spoolie brush and you'll be amazed how bright and gorgeous ya look.  And no one will know it's make-up mwahahahaha

LEX, RAVEN, I WANT PICS because you both sound way more experienced with colors and liners.

#68 | Back to Top09-28-2012 10:36:53 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Me with no eyebrows.-- I got the idea after watching a YouTube tutorial for drag queens. I'm rather displeased about my natural eyebrows as well as my eye space in general, so that happened last year.

Me after half-assedly putting on green eyeshadow and drawing some eyebrows on.-- Once I got the brows covered, I decided to draw on some new ones and play in the eyeshadow I got from Detrivore. The green is called Ruin, the black is a matte black from Black Opal I've owned since 1997 or so, and the highlight color is Detrivore's Desert.

Me after a day at the movies.-- I'd been out and about for a good 6-8 hours, so this is how my eye makeup stands up to the test of time. No foundation, slightly filled brows because I went overboard in a shaving experiment. Lid color is Detrivore's Dormant, don't remember if I wore highlight, but if I did, it's a pretty brown by LA Colors.

My makeup isn't what it could be because I need a better blending brush, and the reasons I mentioned before, but I do what I can.

#69 | Back to Top09-29-2012 01:22:23 AM

lex

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/Lupre/eyemakeupgrid.jpg

this is a grid of my fave makeup looks for my eye, sorry I could not find any good quality of the ones with colors---BUT--that will help me in the future!

Normally I do a cat eye, and in the third photo I did a really tough 60s crease with both lids lined as well as false eyelashes. The last photo has a gradient of silver, purple and then black.

I use a primer on my lids always, unless I want the look to be soft. In some cases if I want the eyeshadow to have a sheen to it, I will use chapstick (not joking).  I tend to fill in my brows despite the fact that they are full, sometimes I like a really dramatic eyebrow, I have them light right now but a good arch can take you places. What else...I do use a medium eyeshadow brush as well as the sponge included in eyeshadow kits to blend. I also use an eyeliner brush for the application of my gel liner and to smudge liquid liner. The second photo was my attempt at doing a new eye shape and so it's a very elongated cat eye with pounds of black eyeshadow, there is a slight hint of silver just in the corner but other than that, it's black, on top of black, with three layers of eyeliner. I melted my eyeliner pencil under a lighter, and then went over that with the gel liner and then I applied my falsies and then I did another layer of liquid eyeliner. Oh! Normally I do brush a very light champagne or shimmery white under my brow bone to give definition, but I have to be super careful or else I come off looking like a drag queen, and that's not a problem at all, BUT for school, I'll do the highlight and then gently use my index finger to pat away excess and to make it seem more subtle.
Stuff used in the grid: Brown/Gold shadow from a palette from the Icing (it was a knock off of Urban Decay)
Sephora Eyeshadow in Summit
And the rest was literally Wet N Wild.
Gel Liner by Maybelline
Liquid Liner NYC
Mascara also maybelline (I use the Falsies Volum Express, and I use two different formulas one for lengthening and one for volume)
False Eyelashes by Ardell (two layers in the 60s look)

Ooh Raven, you are brave, I could not get rid of my eyebrows...I'd go into shock.

Last edited by lex (09-29-2012 01:25:15 AM)

#70 | Back to Top09-29-2012 08:03:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Raven that purple looks STUNNING on you. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love I bet you'd look AHMAZING with a true, satiny gold (not a peach or pink or brown tinted gold) liner or to blend that purple out into a true gold shadow in the same pattern as a smoky eye (purple on the lid, gold on the outer crease and shaped to define a triangle).  You could even get a very soft shimmer gold for that look and then tap a bit of a gold or silver glitter product (something akin to Lorac's Liquid Lustre, which sparkles but doesn't look like visible glitter) right on the outer crease and up to your brow and you'd have a sultry fairy kind of look going on.  Plus a gold will also compliment vivid greens and of course, neutrals. 

And I think your brows are just fine as is; you have a great arch and plenty of space between the top of the lid and your brows for shadow fun times.  I often think the trend of putting a lot of of a highlighter shade of shadow right along the brow shrinks brows or "trims" them so they look straighter and less natural than they should.  If you want to go that route, then I'd only apply a shade that's a shade or two lighter than your skintone, just a little, right after the point where your arch begins and your actual super bright shadow/highlighter just on the inner corners of your eyes.  Bright colors really pop on you and make your skin glow - I think leaving a bit of your natural skin color showing through below your brows gives your color choices a lot of impact. 

If you're really hating your brush and brush skills, then go ahead and apply/pat with a sponge applicator, which gives you way better control and really piles the shadow on, and then use your brushes only for blending, and when you are blending two very different colors together, put just the smallest amount of a 'midway' color on the brush while you blend. 

And is it weird that I'm jealous of Lex's inner eyes?  It's just so smooth and graceful from the brow down into the nose.  And I love the shaping you did with the black shadow in the second pic -it defies but also compliments your browline.

#71 | Back to Top09-30-2012 12:50:36 AM

lex

^ not weird at all, thank you for the compliment emot-smile emot-dance emot-dance

The second picture, I was a bit apprehensive about the shaping of the eye there because I have almond eyes and the model I was using for inspiration, has a completely different eye shape, but I tried it anyway and ended up loving it.

#72 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:14:43 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

In some cases if I want the eyeshadow to have a sheen to it, I will use chapstick (not joking).

You've probably seen as many primer alternatives as I have: chapstick, cream eyeshadow, cream/gel liners, lipstick, Milk of Magnesia, and Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel (which supposedly is the exact same formula as UDPP, right down to the ingredient order).

Ooh Raven, you are brave, I could not get rid of my eyebrows...I'd go into shock.

My eyebrows are naturally the same shape as yours, but you maintain the same fullness throughout while mine immediately lose at least half of it at the arch. It's not even from the shaving, they've looked like this since I was 14. Apparently, it's a sign of hypothyroidism.

The pic with no eyebrows was me covering them up with foundation, powder, and a glue stick. I've only completely removed them once. All of my other experiments have involved me trying to sculpt them in some way, shortly followed by filling them in. Despite conventional wisdom, I have to use black to fill them in. The outer half of my eyebrows are so sparse that they look mismatched if I use a dark brown to fill them, not to mention that I'm dark enough to pull it off.

OITL wrote:

Raven that purple looks STUNNING on you. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Aw, thanks! I've found that I get the most compliments whenever I wear purple or pink in general, not just makeup.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

gold eyeshadow

I actually have a true gold eyeshadow, so I may have to give this a shot. I've done a gold lid with neutral/nude highlight, and that was cute.

fabulous advice etc-love

It started off as me thinking I'm going too high with my crease color because of looks like this. But then I start seeing looks like THIS where the crease color goes much higher, and I have to rethink things.

Between that and my skill level, I think I just need to just sit down and just play in my makeup for a few hours, because I haven't done that in at least a year. I need to go buy more makeup-removing apparatuses, though, because I'm out of cotton pads and my Clinique remover that I paid damn near nothing for is almost gone. When I say "damn near nothing", I mean I only paid about 50 cents for a full bottle.

Also, I've been neglecting my nails, and I'm not happy about that.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-30-2012 03:26:02 PM)

#73 | Back to Top09-30-2012 11:58:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I've had good results with Nuetragena make-up cleansing wipes.  They pull off all me make-ups, are soft and flexible enough for my eyes/lashes, don't irritate my eyes and leave my skin feeling nice and clean, not rubbed raw and oily.  Also dey cheap and come in a box.  SO ORGANIZED.

#74 | Back to Top10-07-2012 07:28:42 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Hey, Living Social has a deal going right now where for $12, you get $25 to spend at Coastal Scents.

#75 | Back to Top10-08-2012 06:52:12 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

AUGH GODDAMNIT WHY DO I NOT GET PAID TILL FRIDAY

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer