This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top07-01-2007 12:03:16 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Sharing articles

Stormcrow wrote:

Hunh. I'd never heard that, such attacks must not get much publicity.

Like I said, even less common than shark-attacks. How often you hear that one of those has actually happened? Not very often, on global scale. In any case, is there any animal species larger than dog, that hasn't killed an occasional human, either by accident or on purpose?

No I'm a bit sad...

Don't take cuteness as automatic sign of innocence - especially with creatures that weight several hundred pounds. emot-wink

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#102 | Back to Top07-01-2007 12:17:32 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Lightice wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

Hunh. I'd never heard that, such attacks must not get much publicity.

Like I said, even less common than shark-attacks. How often you hear that one of those has actually happened? Not very often, on global scale. In any case, is there any animal species larger than dog, that hasn't killed an occasional human, either by accident or on purpose?

No I'm a bit sad...

Don't take cuteness as automatic sign of innocence - especially with creatures that weight several hundred pounds. emot-wink

Too true, too true. Also, I just noticed a typo in my last post, which makes me even more sad...The animal I think of when you say cute but deadly is definitely the killer whale. They even look cute with a seal stuck in their teeth like a bit of spinach!school-devil

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#103 | Back to Top07-01-2007 04:08:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#104 | Back to Top07-02-2007 04:23:33 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

login:Dailykos pass: Dailykos

'The panel nods, but it doesn't want to stray from Iraq. Robert Bork, Ronald Reagan's one-time nominee to the Supreme Court, mumbles from beneath low-hanging jowls: "The coverage of this war is unbelievable. Even Fox News is unbelievable. You'd think we're the only ones dying. Enemy casualties aren't covered. We're doing an excellent job killing them."'

Zing!

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#105 | Back to Top07-02-2007 04:47:50 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

emot-aaa
That was... great, in sense-of-humour terms. emot-biggrin

But I can't believe that this cruise (and this people) are real emot-gonk

#106 | Back to Top07-02-2007 09:54:39 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Why isn't Robert Bork dead yet?emot-mad

-Truck North

#107 | Back to Top07-04-2007 08:55:19 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Look out Dollface!emot-aaa

And a truly stupid story, also out of NC: wtf

What, she's a predator or something? These assholes shouldn't be the least surprised their son tried to ditch their crazy asses. If only they could have waited a year though...I hope they don't lock her up.emot-frown

EDIT: Just found this local gem. Good old fucking Kansas.emot-mademot-mademot-mad

Last edited by Stormcrow (07-04-2007 09:01:54 AM)

-Truck North

#108 | Back to Top07-04-2007 03:56:51 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

That makes me feel down... emot-frown

#109 | Back to Top07-04-2007 04:04:55 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yeah. I don't think they should be prosecuted, unless there's something they can hang on that asshole with the cell phone, but...damn. This reminds of back when the first reports were emerging from Abu Ghraib and everyone was all "Americans don't do that!"...

-Truck North

#110 | Back to Top07-04-2007 04:18:41 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I saw that about the Piranha on the news. I live near that lake, too. I've swam there before! Well, never again. Concerning that woman and the boy.... what the fuck? Seriously.

And, the woman in the store... that just makes me sick. emot-mad This reminds me of a story I saw some time ago, about a woman who was stabbed in a resturaunt by a robber, and no one would try to help her. Given no one took pictures of her emot-mad, but many stood by her and just watched her life slip away. What is wrong with people? Is compassion not one of the backbones of human nature? People! Ugh! I could literally vomit right now.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#111 | Back to Top07-04-2007 04:41:04 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I guess that's why I find this behavior so disturbing. As a Humanist, I make some effort to embrace everything about humanity, even the parts that aren't pretty, but this...it's just so alien. How is it possible to have so little regard for another person? Hate, greed, jealousy, all of these I can identify with to some degree, but this indifference... I don't think I even want to understand.

Oh, and the lake is almost certainly perfectly safe from piranha, it was probably just the one. I just had this funny image in my head of a piranha chasing you around the lake...emot-keke

-Truck North

#112 | Back to Top07-04-2007 04:50:54 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Piranha aren't too dangerous, anyway. They eat mostly fruit, and they're scavengers.

#113 | Back to Top07-09-2007 10:36:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://cbs5.com/watercooler/watercooler … 40139.html

A guy in my county gets struck by lightning out of a clear blue sky...WHILE SELLING BIBLES. emot-rofl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#114 | Back to Top07-10-2007 07:08:15 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

That is awesome. I mean, I hope he'll recover physically, but if he loses his faith I won't cry about it.emot-rofl

-Truck North

#115 | Back to Top07-10-2007 07:36:11 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Giovanna wrote:

http://cbs5.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_190140139.html

A guy in my county gets struck by lightning out of a clear blue sky...WHILE SELLING BIBLES. emot-rofl

Was it definitely Bibles?  It just said religious materials in that article.

#116 | Back to Top07-12-2007 06:34:42 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#117 | Back to Top07-12-2007 07:32:27 PM

Mylene

I thought this was pretty cool myself: http://www.gay.com/style/entertaining/p … amp;page=1

Of course, I never heard about it until now.  I wonder when it happened?  The article doesn't say when either...  emot-confused

#118 | Back to Top07-12-2007 07:52:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Cerise's Article wrote:

Queer gamers have been making strides toward virtual equality for a while now. They've won the right to marry in "The Sims," "Fable" and "Fallout 2."

I can't imagine what it would be like if Maxis decided that Sims could only flirt with their own genders. I've been making my Sims gay before I could even spell, "lesbian."

RavenNightshade wrote:

MMM...cardboard.

I'm always so picky about what I eat, and this certainly isn't going to help. emot-gonk

#119 | Back to Top07-16-2007 01:36:38 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

AMMONITE!

I'm not exactly sure why that pops into my head when I read that. Probably the aspect of ancient sea creatures.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#120 | Back to Top07-16-2007 10:12:25 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Dude, that is so cool.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#121 | Back to Top07-16-2007 10:20:18 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

"Multiple choice. Of the following three choices, which is the miracle? 1. Edison's invention. 2. A meeting with a prince. 3. A can of coelacanth."

I'm familiar with Coelacanth's because on Animal Crossing, they're one of the rarest fish you can catch, and can only be caught on days when it's raining.

#122 | Back to Top07-17-2007 08:07:21 AM

Mylene

I'm probably the only tennis fan here, but just in case I'm not, I felt the need to post up this week's "Ad In-Ad Out" by Jon Werteim over at CNNSI.  In particular I would like to point out the Ad-out for Maria Sharapova (Russian tennis player who's lived in the US since she was 9 or so and is fairly scorned by Russian players because they don't feel she's truly Russian anymore):

Maria Sharapova
"Russian" pulls out of Fed Cup (with a rare medical condition known as scaredofthe Williams?), and then to pacify her disappointed fans, she writes on her website: "Nothing would [have] made me happier that beating the Americans on American soil." I'm thinking that if only she could spend a little time in the United States -- you know, experience the culture, take advantage of the weather and training facilities, and perhaps reap the benefits of the economy -- she might not be so hostile toward America.

Cracked me up!

Oh, and props to Fabrice Santoro for not only being an Ad-In, but for winning his first tournament in 5 years, and being the old player to do so since the last tournament Andre Agassi won.  For the uninitiated, Santoro is the most entertaining player to watch, ever.  When he plays Roger Federer, he's the one to receive the standing ovation--in defeat--and asked to interview first.  Usually, the loser isn't interviewed on court, but when it's Santoro on Center Court, you better believe he will be.  I wish he weren't so "old," there are becoming fewer and fewer chances of getting to watch him play and do his "magic."  (Pete Sampras nicknamed him the "magician" and hated playing him, he played with such a bizarre, tricky, and entertaining style.)

#123 | Back to Top07-17-2007 01:43:51 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

It's pretty old news. Dunno if you guys have read about this, but so much for diversity... emot-frown

Last edited by Hiraku (07-17-2007 01:44:21 PM)

#124 | Back to Top07-17-2007 11:24:59 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Hiraku wrote:

It's pretty old news. Dunno if you guys have read about this, but so much for diversity... emot-frown

Oh that pissed me off. emot-frown emot-mad And it makes me sad.. It's reasons why this why I can't stand the majority of Christians. If it weren't for the few respectful, mature Christians I knew, I would hate everything about it. They want to be able to pray in schools, but only if it's to Jesus, right?

#125 | Back to Top07-18-2007 06:38:43 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hey, I just found out about this! Um, no one in the IRG lives close to Manhattan, right? I wonder if ancient civilization like Rome and India had to go through that kind of problem with their plumbings...

Last edited by Hiraku (07-18-2007 06:40:15 PM)

Board footer