This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-04-2009 04:59:56 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Re: NEW FORUM moshiku shikumo

mazoboom wrote:

The ratio of posts to topics in Shaved Ice is absolutely amazing. emot-rofl

It single handedly destroys every other subforum, with less than 75 topics, hahaha!

We do like our forum junk food, hm?

#27 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:01:22 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Syora wrote:

mazoboom wrote:

It single handedly destroys every other subforum, with less than 75 topics, hahaha!

We do like our forum junk food, hm?

YES! We do!

#28 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:02:48 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'm of the opinion that MY RP threads (Faceless Masses, Shinobi Dreams) should be locked due to extreme inactivity from anybody but me (FM officially ended over a year ago, and SD was a case of "everybody lost time and/or interest"). I'd rather not have anybody post in them, and the only surefire way to ensure that is to lock 'em down.

But I'm really territorial about threads I make, and I tend to see them as my intellectual properties to include the posts of others, and I don't really like to admit that once I've made it, the only way I can control content is to delete the thread entirely. emot-frown

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#29 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:08:41 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

mazoboom wrote:

We milk our threads, here, for all they're worth. emot-rofl  I had no idea my thread idea would go on as long as it has (I was scared it would cause flame wars), not that I am at all complaining. cool

#30 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:13:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

I'm of the opinion that MY RP threads (Faceless Masses, Shinobi Dreams) should be locked due to extreme inactivity from anybody but me (FM officially ended over a year ago, and SD was a case of "everybody lost time and/or interest"). I'd rather not have anybody post in them, and the only surefire way to ensure that is to lock 'em down.

Will do.  I think after this length of time, anyone who needed to speak their piece about those RPs has had their chance, and they should be allowed to fade away in peace.  That said, FM in particular was a fantastic RP, and I miss reading it!

mazoboom wrote:

I knew that would happen, but the extent of it is pretty astonishing emot-rofl

#31 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:16:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yeah I'd say a thread has to be a pretty obvious one liner thread to not be in SKU if it's about SKU. Like super guilty.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#32 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:25:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Yeah I'd say a thread has to be a pretty obvious one liner thread to not be in SKU if it's about SKU. Like super guilty.

You say "guilty" like it's a bad thing emot-tongue  But the Caption Contest is definitely a one-liner thread, so into SIL it goes!

#33 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:55:17 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Am I correct in assuming that the new format will be this?:

GD - Semi Serious to Serious threads about non SKU things.

SKU - Utena themed threads.

SIL - Silly, Inconsequential and Ludicrous threads.

IFD - Deeply personal and Adult themed treads.

Last edited by Mock Puppet (09-04-2009 05:56:04 PM)

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#34 | Back to Top09-04-2009 05:57:07 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

BioKraze wrote:

But I'm really territorial about threads I make, and I tend to see them as my intellectual properties to include the posts of others, and I don't really like to admit that once I've made it, the only way I can control content is to delete the thread entirely. emot-frown

I hate to delurk for something like this, but I just felt compelled to say it...

The thread may indeed have been yours, but my posts in it are mine (and everyone else's posts are their own as well), and I sure wouldn't have wanted them deleted without my consent.  I worked hard on those posts and would not have wanted them to be vaporized into the internet ether. We all chose to participate and contribute; nobody forced us to.

That said, I'm glad to see that the thread was locked so that I don't have to worry about that situation arising.  FM was a great thread while it lasted, and I'd much rather see it saved for posterity as it has been than deleted.

I may hardly post anymore, but I do still check on the forums every day and chime in when I feel inspired to. Just because I'm not around as much doesn't mean that my posts are for others to do with as they please.

Incidentally, I almost forgot that I had started that Pop-tarts thread a couple of years ago. Nice to see it's still serving a purpose!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#35 | Back to Top09-04-2009 06:05:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mock Puppet wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that the new format will be this?:

GD - Semi Serious to Serious threads about non SKU things.

SKU - Utena themed threads.

SIL - Silly, Inconsequential and Ludicrous threads.

IFD - Deeply personal and Adult themed treads.

Yeah, that's about right!  I like the acronym for SIL emot-smile  The rules for IFD will probably be changing a little to reflect the fact that we now have a better place to conduct mock flame wars and trade meaningless innuendo.  (Meaningful innuendo is a different matter entirely.  emot-wink)

About Bad Bug's point: Yes, I agree, it would have been wrong of Bio to delete those entire threads, which is presumably why he didn't do it.  I think Bio was expressing his frustration that he had no way to control whether more people could post in them without deleting them. 

That said, I thought members couldn't delete topics once others had replied to them, but I see now that you can.  While I'm mucking around backstage, would anyone mind if I turned off this feature?  When you create a thread you run the risk that people might want to post there; you shouldn't get to delete their thoughts or ideas just because you don't like where the thread has gone or where it might go.  I've temporarily disabled deleting your own topics, but I'm listening if anyone wants to tell me why it's important to have that ability.

Last edited by satyreyes (09-04-2009 06:12:40 PM)

#36 | Back to Top09-04-2009 06:10:55 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Yeah, that's about right!  I like the acronym for SIL emot-smile  The rules for IFD will probably be changing a little to reflect the fact that we now have a better place to conduct mock flame wars and trade meaningless innuendo.  (Meaningful innuendo is a different matter entirely.  emot-wink)

I am glad you like my acronym.  It looks like that the main side effect of this change is that some long dead threads have been resurrected.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#37 | Back to Top09-04-2009 08:11:51 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

.....wow this is going to take some getting used to.

20 threads dead so far.

#38 | Back to Top09-05-2009 12:02:44 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I suspect that 9 out of 10 posts I will make will be in the Shaved Ice Lounge from now on.

#39 | Back to Top09-05-2009 12:52:24 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

That said, I thought members couldn't delete topics once others had replied to them, but I see now that you can.  While I'm mucking around backstage, would anyone mind if I turned off this feature?  When you create a thread you run the risk that people might want to post there; you shouldn't get to delete their thoughts or ideas just because you don't like where the thread has gone or where it might go.  I've temporarily disabled deleting your own topics, but I'm listening if anyone wants to tell me why it's important to have that ability.

I didn't realize users could do that. emot-redface I don't think people should be able to delete threads--in fact I'd prefer it never be done period. Closed threads are closed threads, users can edit their content out a post, but deleting entire threads isn't fair to other posters, with few exceptions.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#40 | Back to Top09-05-2009 12:50:46 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

satyreyes wrote:

If no one has replied to a thread, and I deem it then useless, I would like VERY much to be able to erase it from the forum. Maybe I've changed my mind, whatever. As long as other people haven't posted, it should be deletable. If other people have posted, then it has to stick around and stay.

Or is this exactly what we're talking about here?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#41 | Back to Top09-05-2009 01:07:49 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Lady Chani wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

If no one has replied to a thread, and I deem it then useless, I would like VERY much to be able to erase it from the forum. Maybe I've changed my mind, whatever. As long as other people haven't posted, it should be deletable. If other people have posted, then it has to stick around and stay.

Or is this exactly what we're talking about here?

No, this is talking about the original poster of a topic having the power to go back and delete the entire thread, no matter how many pages of replies it has.  You may still be able to take out a thread that no one has replied to, but not too sure.

I strongly agree with disabling this function.  It's never been a problem here before, but I could see it happening a little too easily.  I can't really think of a good reason for anyone other than a mod to be able to delete the posts of others.  If someone thinks they have a good cause, they can take it up with the powers that be.

#42 | Back to Top09-05-2009 01:22:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The forum doesn't currently have a way (that I can find) to discriminate between topics with replies and topics without them as far as deleting privileges are concerned; either you can delete your own topics or you can't.  Creating a new functionality would require Gio mucking around with the code, and so I'll leave it to her whether the effort justifies the payoff.

#43 | Back to Top09-05-2009 01:58:39 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

It's never been a problem before now, so why would it be a problem now? Just because we now know we can?

I'd like to think we're all mature, responsible adults (or nearly-adults, in some cases), and that removing the function that no one has used maliciously thus far shows a sincere lack of trust.

#44 | Back to Top09-05-2009 03:41:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I feel sorry that you think I lack trust for the forum, Lady Chani.  I wouldn't be moderating it if I felt that way.  Occasionally it's quite a lot of work, and sometimes it's emotionally difficult as well.  It's not something I would do for a community I didn't trust as well as love.

But I'm not going to give every one of us a power that could be egregiously abused -- the power to delete whole conversations, precious memories maybe for some of their participants, on an angry whim -- unless there's a good reason to.  Why exactly is it so important to be able to delete your own threads?  Is this something you've done, and if so, why?

#45 | Back to Top09-05-2009 04:37:10 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

You're missing my point. From what it sounds, we've always had this ability, just as we've always been able to edit or delete our own posts. None of us use the delete function maliciously, though there are those among us that will delete their own posts, or edit them mercilessly. And, while that bothers me in a way, same as losing a thread full of several people's writings would, I can understand that it is the right of the author of the words to be able to have control over them.

And yes, I did delete a thread I started. I posted a while back and made a thread for 'graphical advice'. You know, how to make icons, links to tutorials, a thing for all the graphically inclined to better themselves and help others who wanted help. I even asked for help myself in that first post. It sat, ignored and unposted-to for several days, and finally I deleted it. No one had posted to it, and it had garnered no interest, so I made it go away. No anger, maybe a slight bit of frustration at being ignored, but more to my mindset of when I was modding a small forum... I was saving space.

If you're going to claim that you don't want us to lose what could be precious memories on this forum, then don't allow us to edit or delete at all.

#46 | Back to Top09-05-2009 04:57:00 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

If there were a setting on the forum that would allow users to delete threads they've started that have had no responses, I would enable it.  That's the same as deleting a post, which is okay with me because it represents only your writing (though I hope people use even this option sparingly).  So it sounds like both of us agree, Chani, that the best thing would be for people to be able to delete their own empty threads, but not their own replied-to threads.  Unfortunately, that's not technologically possible at this time, and we disagree about what the second-best thing is.  I prioritize not removing other people's writing without their consent, even if that limits your control over your own; you prioritize the ability to remove your own writing, even if that puts other people's writing at risk.

You're right, of course, that no one as far as I know has abused this ability yet -- though it has been threatened at least once; Yasha once locked a user's account to forestall their threat that they would delete the threads they started.  That was the incident that prompted my promotion to mod, come to think of it, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little cautious.  But the potential for abuse is there, and if it ever did happen -- and it could; even trustworthy people do foolish things when they're angry, myself included -- then I believe there would be no way to fix it short of restoring the entire forum from Gio's last backup, losing who knows how many posts in the process.  By contrast, if it's so important that your photo editing advice thread should be deleted, just get in touch with me and I'll delete it.  I know that's not very democratic, and I'd rather give you the ability to do it yourself, but I can't do that without giving every thread starter the ability to hurt the people who post in their threads.  So...

#47 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:10:03 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I'm so glad you have faith in our judgment.

#48 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:13:17 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

There's no need for sarcasm.  I'm doing the best I can.

Listen, is this a widespread sentiment?  Which do you guys want more: the ability to delete your own un-replied-to posts, or the knowledge that your own replies to other people's posts won't vanish overnight?

#49 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:17:13 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

satyreyes wrote:

There's no need for sarcasm.

I can't hear you!  You're so high up!

#50 | Back to Top09-05-2009 05:23:59 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I really do believe he is doing his best (a top notch moderator and I've seen a lot of mods through the years, so I'm grateful when I see a good one because otherwise the forum experience tends to suck).  Satyr is consistent in being quick to reply to PMs and such so I don't think there could be too many complications with this system.  The way the forum is set up, it's clear that there needs to be some compromise on this to be fair to those in either situation.

edit:  And I'm not trying to kiss ass, either, since I hate that, but I'm striving to promote fairness myself for the individuals involved as well as the situation.

Last edited by spoon-san (09-05-2009 05:28:34 PM)

Board footer