This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-26-2006 12:53:14 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

HAPPY KWANZAA EVERYONE!

Yes...I celebrate it...but I would like to share with you a nice message in the tradition of Kwanzaa:

:school:Since today is the offical start of Kwazaa...the first of the Seven Principles is:school-freud

Umoja or (Unity)
To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race.

Since we are a community..I figured it would be good for everyone to share in the celebration!

Tonight I get to place the first of the Mishumaa Saba (Seven Candles) into the Kinara (candle holder) which is the. The black candle represents the first principle Umoja (unity) and is placed in the center of the kinara.

Well..have a nice day....and remember..it is unity that gives strength in times of adversity.....

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#2 | Back to Top12-26-2006 03:05:24 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Re: HAPPY KWANZAA EVERYONE!

Happy Kwanzaa!

I don't celebrate it and pretty much every holiday tradition (including Chrismas) was irrelevant to me until the last few years. We exchanged gifts and had dinner on the Solstice and thaaat was it.

I doubt we have many Kwanzaa celebrators here, but we do have plenty of unity. emot-keke So have a nice day too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/calamity/kwanzaa.gif

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#3 | Back to Top12-26-2006 04:41:18 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I don't know anythinga bout Kwanzaa. emot-redface This is interesting!

And a happy Kwanzaa to you. emot-smile

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#4 | Back to Top12-26-2006 06:10:13 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

It looks like Chanukah with colored candles. emot-biggrin

#5 | Back to Top12-26-2006 06:47:36 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I wonder what Kwanzaa is, which religion is it from? How you celebrate? For what special event? etc. Anyway, I still wish you a good holiday. emot-keke

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#6 | Back to Top12-26-2006 07:27:57 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Kwanzaa was created a few decades to celebrate African American culture, I believe. (I'm saying it that way because I can't think of anyone in SA celebrating it)

It doesn't have a religion behind it, though the occasional NoIer will claim it. The difference is that NoI is patently insane and Kwanzaa is not. emot-keke

I don't know that much about it, so I'm allways interesting in hearing.

#7 | Back to Top12-26-2006 08:48:37 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I've never met anybody who actually celebrates it. I didn't know it was that new.

#8 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:32:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Awesomeness! Happy Kwanzaa!

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#9 | Back to Top12-27-2006 09:03:38 AM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

It looks like Chanukah with colored candles. emot-biggrin

Yes....the representation of the candles are sort of similar to the candles lighted during Chanukkah.

You see...well this is explained below today's principle and message about how the principle relates to everyone on this forum....

Ah...today...is special to me...because one of my favorite days of learning and respecting one of the Seven Principles...

Today Principle is:

Kujichagulia-say it with me... (koo-jee-cha-goo-LEE-ah) or in plain English (Self-Determination)
To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves.

Yep...everyone here on this forum has clearly shown in one way or the other that no one has the right to define who we are...in fact..we are very vocal on our opinions and ideals and that is something to be proud of...especially since what is considered "normal" society tries to make us "conform" to bland principles...just because it's all that society has known.

One of you guys asked me how it is celebrated...so I'd thought I'd find something to help you out on that question:

The colors of Kwanzaa are black, red and green; black for the people, red for their struggle, and green for the future and hope that comes from their struggle. Therefore there is one black candle, three red and three green candles. These are the mishumaa saba (the seven candles) and they represent the seven principles. The black candle represents the first principle Umoja (unity) and is placed in the center of the kinara. The red candles represent the principles of Kujichagulia (self-determination), Ujamaa (cooperative economics) and Kuumba (creativity) and are placed to the left of the black candle. The green candles represent the principles of Ujima (collective work and responsibility), Nia (purpose) and Imani (faith) and are placed to the right of the black candle. The black candle is lit first on the first day of the celebration. And the remaining candles are lit afterwards from left to right on the following days. This procedure is to indicate that the people come first, then the struggle and then the hope that comes from the struggle.

And then the mazao (crops), and ears of corn are also placed on the mkeka. At least two ears of corn are placed down on the mat regardless of whether there are children in the immediate family or not for the children of the community belong to all of us and every adult in African tradition is considered an immediate or social parent. Next the kikombe cha umoja (the Unity cup) is then placed on the mkeka (mat). It is used to pour tambiko (libation) to the ancestors in remembrance and honor of those who paved the path down which we walk and who taught us the good, the Tamshi  and the beautiful in life. Then African art objects and books on the life and culture of African people are also placed on or next to the mat to symbolize our commitment to heritage and learning.

OH AND JUST ONE MORE THING I THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD UNDERSTAND

Can people who are not of African descent participate in Kwanzaa activities?

Kwanzaa is clearly an African holiday created for African peoples. But other people can and do celebrate it, just like other people participate in Cinco de Mayo besides Mexicans; Chinese New Year besides Chinese; Native American pow wows besides Native Americans.

The question is, under what circumstances? There are both communal and public celebrations. One can properly hold a communal celebration dedicated essentially to community persons. But in a public context, say public school or college, we can properly have public celebrations which include others. How this is done depends on particular circumstances. But in any case, particular people should always be in control of and conduct their own celebrations. Audience attendance is one thing; conducting a ritual is another.

Any particular message that is good for a particular people, if it is human in its content and ethical in its grounding, speaks not just to that people, it speaks to the world.

The principles of Kwanzaa and the message of Kwanzaa has a universal message for all people of good will. It is rooted in African culture, and we speak as Africans must speak, not just to ourselves, but to the world. This continues our tradition of speaking our own special cultural truth and making our own unique contribution to the forward flow of human history.

2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#10 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:37:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Hey... I rather like the concept of this holiday. It speaks more to me than blind faith in some antiquated religion. It's a celebration of humanity. Kujichagulia (what language is that, anyway? I can't pronounce it) is a pretty sexy concept for anybody to follow.

Though there are important questions:

1) Do you still celebrate Christmas / Channukah on top of that?
2) And if so, do you get twice the amount of presents. emot-dance

Random observation: I know the black candle must be so colored to represent the African people, but I remember my Wiccan friend always burning a black candle to absorb negative energy. Maybe there's a dual meaning there?

#11 | Back to Top12-27-2006 03:34:03 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

There are many uses of black candles within Wicca. They are used at Samhain (Halloween) for example, simply as part of the seasonal decor. The absorption of negative energy is only one possible use.

Laurie

#12 | Back to Top12-27-2006 06:27:18 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Trench Kamen wrote:

Random observation: I know the black candle must be so colored to represent the African people, but I remember my Wiccan friend always burning a black candle to absorb negative energy. Maybe there's a dual meaning there?

I'm not sure the person who thought up the holiday thought of that, but it's a pretty interesting concept. Oddly enough, I've heard Red and Green symbolise very similar things in Wicca and Christian mythology. Red symbolises struggle and endurance,and a bit of repentance, blood sacrifice and all. Green symbolises fertility and good luck, fresh crops etc.

#13 | Back to Top12-27-2006 09:29:20 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

<More fun Kwanzaa facts.>

This is cool beans. emot-keke

Now I wish I had a memory of some sort, but I killed it with hours of mindless televison.

#14 | Back to Top12-27-2006 09:34:26 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

were gettin skooled in Kwanzaa! school-eng101

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#15 | Back to Top12-28-2006 02:09:27 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Is this Kwanzaa some strange American holiday I am not aware of?

#16 | Back to Top12-28-2006 12:50:49 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Happy Kwanzaa! Although I'm terribly late....emot-biggrin

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#17 | Back to Top12-28-2006 04:26:31 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

It's still ongoing, right? You're not terribly late, just fashionably. emot-wink

#18 | Back to Top12-29-2006 11:17:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm late, but Happy Kwanzaa! The meaning of this celebration is wonderful.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#19 | Back to Top01-01-2007 10:53:52 AM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

Hey... I rather like the concept of this holiday. It speaks more to me than blind faith in some antiquated religion. It's a celebration of humanity. Kujichagulia (what language is that, anyway? I can't pronounce it) is a pretty sexy concept for anybody to follow.

It's Swahili....

Sigh....Kwanzaa is officially over.

Oh and yes I do celebrate Christmas as well and sometimes we get double the presents.

Ah...such a wonderful tradition is over with...

#20 | Back to Top01-01-2007 12:03:56 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

There's always next year. emot-smile

Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

#21 | Back to Top01-01-2007 01:26:17 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

You are welcome:grin:

Board footer