This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-14-2007 10:09:46 AM

Mendou
New Student

If you could ask Ikuhara a question, what would it be?

It can be about anything, whether related to the symbolism in SKU or just working on the show itself.

Like, did we ever hear an explanation for what the "spinning gif-like rose" meant?  It's a lot like the "pointing hands" which symbolized the entrance of another character onto the scene.

#2 | Back to Top12-14-2007 11:41:58 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Re: If you could ask Ikuhara a question, what would it be?

I want to ask him why 1000 swords of hate went after Utena in the end, and what does:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/54fce82f.jpg

mean.. emot-tongue

Also, from the Opening Theme, what is:

"In the sunlit garden, we promised each other stuff" I don't recall seeing it in the anime..

And as for spinning rose, it wasn't the case when Anthy and Utena was speaking of their future in 10 years,
Nor was it in the Opening theme (in the 1st and last scene)

Well, that's just my observation.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#3 | Back to Top12-14-2007 03:47:01 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'd ask him what he thinks of Shiori. cool

#4 | Back to Top12-14-2007 04:42:04 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I wanna know what's up with merukanayonotosuyoyamenameyayosutonoyuna.

...That might be more a Seazer thing though.

#5 | Back to Top12-14-2007 05:17:41 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I'm sure most of us would ask what the Transformer!Movie!Utena was about. Same with the boxing kangaroo. And the ADHD Pointy Finger.

But I would ask why he was so for changing everything that Chiho Saito had. The poor woman made it, why completely take over? She was completely shadowed over by Ikuhara, and I don't like that one bit. :<

#6 | Back to Top12-14-2007 05:54:25 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

She was completely shadowed over by Ikuhara, and I don't like that one bit. :<

Perhaps he might answer me by saying that Shiori reminds him a bit of Chiho Saito? emot-frown

#7 | Back to Top12-14-2007 06:54:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, Saito did the manga and Ikuhara did the anime.  Sounds fair to me.  And given how many of the characters change completely in the anime incarnation vs. the manga, I'm not sure how true it is that Saito "made" Utena.

Hey guys, remember when Ikuhara showed up on IRG and started answering people's questions?  Good times!

#8 | Back to Top12-14-2007 06:59:35 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Razara wrote:

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

She was completely shadowed over by Ikuhara, and I don't like that one bit. :<

Perhaps he might answer me by saying that Shiori reminds him a bit of Chiho Saito? emot-frown

But that would make him Juri, which is all kinds of wrong and disastrous. emot-gonk

Yes, I hold a strong fondness for the manga deep in my heart. To me, the anime and the manga are equal. They are extremely different, but both very good. To say that the anime is better than the manga is like saying that my little sister is more loved than I am, which is not the case at all. Ikuhara may be an artistic genius, but he also has an ego to match.

I'm trying not to be bitter, honest. emot-mad

#9 | Back to Top12-14-2007 08:10:12 PM

Kashira
Rose Smilee

satyreyes wrote:

Well, Saito did the manga and Ikuhara did the anime.  Sounds fair to me.  And given how many of the characters change completely in the anime incarnation vs. the manga, I'm not sure how true it is that Saito "made" Utena.

Not very much at all by the sounds of it. In one of the Pioneer released soundtracks there is a translated booklet Saito comment mentioned how the entirety of Bepapas approached her (in her apartment none the less!) to ask her to do the manga. It sounds like she was the last member of the team.

satyreyes wrote:

Hey guys, remember when Ikuhara showed up on IRG and started answering people's questions?  Good times!

Yasha wrote:

How come your IP is from Fort Myers, Florida?

emot-rofl owned ... liar!

...I wonder if Yasha can tell where I'm from...

^ That's not my question btwI'd simply ask "WTF?" That ought to cover things nicely.

Last edited by Kashira (12-14-2007 08:11:20 PM)

Akio: See, we big brothers are like the moon. We're spherical, and control the tides, and make aliens turn into giant apes on occasion. Also, we're sexy. -Utena Thumbnail Theater

#10 | Back to Top12-15-2007 04:46:01 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Ikuni was on vacation to Florida, DUH! emot-rolleyes

---
I'd ask Ikuhara if he'd do a series with me. emot-dance Or if it has to be SKU related, is everything we discuss on this board as symbolic, really symbolic?

#11 | Back to Top12-15-2007 07:44:01 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I would ask "When they say that you are going to remaster SKU, does this mean that you will be replacing the stock footage like the Utena climbing up the stairs and making each one different or adding extra scenes?"

#12 | Back to Top12-15-2007 08:26:42 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Tamago wrote:

I would ask "When they say that you are going to remaster SKU, does this mean that you will be replacing the stock footage like the Utena climbing up the stairs and making each one different or adding extra scenes?"

WHAT!? IKUNI IS GOING TO REMASTER UTENA!? emot-aaa

WHEN!? XD

Also, I would ask how Rose of Versailles inspired him to make Utena.. emot-biggrin

"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
~FMA

#13 | Back to Top12-15-2007 11:17:38 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Also, I would ask how Rose of Versailles inspired him to make Utena..

Actually, that is fan speculation. Valid fan speculation, but Ikuhara himself denies any connection between the two. It's sort of obvious, though. school-sherlock

#14 | Back to Top12-15-2007 08:14:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Or fixing the miserable awful animation in the early and latter episodes where the men look absolutely absurd in scenes I would otherwise masturbate to.

Other than that I'd probably ask if I can have a couple of the nicer cels. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#15 | Back to Top12-15-2007 09:45:12 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

What happened to Kanae. It's been nagging at me.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#16 | Back to Top12-16-2007 12:41:10 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Seen American Psycho?

Yeah. school-chef

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#17 | Back to Top12-16-2007 12:46:28 AM

Jellineck

Actually, no. But since you used the cook thing, I'm thinking it's a Soylent Green moment of some variety.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#18 | Back to Top12-16-2007 12:55:08 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm thinking specifically where you see a shot of the head of a prostitute in Bateman's fridge.

Akio seems the type to like to keep a little head close at hand.

I'm sorry. emot-frown Hopefully Ikuhara doesn't see this, but then what worse could he do to Akio than the movie? (I would ask if he can give me some recordings of the musicals...I mean, I missing machine gun Anthy???)

#19 | Back to Top12-16-2007 01:02:14 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Stephanie, If the rumours are true then yes Ikuhara is planning to remaster SKU.

Giovanna we all can only hope that the remastered SKU will result in more etc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

Jellineck wrote:

She decided that since she wasn't getting any anyhow, she might as well become a nun, which ironically increased her chances of getting laid... that or she ends up sexually abusing the Kaoru Twins. school-devilschool-freud

#20 | Back to Top12-16-2007 01:10:09 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Tamago wrote:

Jellineck wrote:

She decided that since she wasn't getting any anyhow, she might as well become a nun, which ironically increased her chances of getting laid... that or she ends up sexually abusing the Kaoru Twins. school-devilschool-freud

DO WANT. etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (12-16-2007 01:10:39 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-16-2007 01:26:00 AM

Jellineck

Hopefully Ikuhara doesn't see this, but then what worse could he do to Akio than the movie?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=64pkdC237U0

Well, he'd deserve it more than poor Kanae.

#22 | Back to Top12-16-2007 07:29:02 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Arki wrote:

Also, I would ask how Rose of Versailles inspired him to make Utena..

Actually, that is fan speculation. Valid fan speculation, but Ikuhara himself denies any connection between the two. It's sort of obvious, though. school-sherlock

Ohh... I see.. I went to this link in wiki, about a Utena review which said Ikuni was inspired by Rose of Versailles, and there I go downloading the anime.. emot-rofl

@Tamago
This is good news indeed! emot-keke

Yay!! Happy!! emot-dance

~FMA

#23 | Back to Top12-16-2007 05:36:23 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Well, the real question would be "Ikuhara-sensei, will you give me an answer beyond 'himitsu desu'!?" emot-tongue

Otherwise,.. maybe it'd be Was it intentional that Saionji seems to read people's true natures well?  It's always bugged me whether I just read too much into Saionji because I think he has a suspicion of Anthy's true nature in addition to obviously knowing Touga is scum...  he just seems to show that sort of intuition numerous times (with the total inability to express it properly... ) emot-tongue 

I just want to know if Ikuhara thought deeply into Saionji's character and just didn't label him as "jealous friend who is abusive".

Also, did Ruka "graduate" as Mikage did even though he "died"?  Was it true death or was this a symbolic death?

#24 | Back to Top12-17-2007 04:22:06 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Dude... If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be a Chu-Chu to begin with.

#25 | Back to Top12-17-2007 03:43:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Scortia wrote:

Well, the real question would be "Ikuhara-sensei, will you give me an answer beyond 'himitsu desu'!?" emot-tongue

You mean, Ikuhara is actually Xelloss from Slayers?! I knew it! school-sherlock

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer