This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top10-17-2013 06:30:29 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

Giovanna wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Shopping with me is terrible; I am the little voice that goes "you totes need this, like air. necessary for sustaining."

Can vouch for this. emot-mad

It's a shame the Disney Queens were a bust. When MAC did their villain set I tore apart Miami two days after it launched to get stuff, and even then I managed to snag the Maleficent eyeshadow and the Doctor Facilier eyesmoke thing and that's all. I wanted the Maleficent nail polish SO GOD DAMN HARD. But oh no, it was goooone. Luckily they brought it back as a permanent, yay! (Formidable, pics on site SUCK at showing the color though, wow.) Bought yesterday. Fuming because I'm on day shifts which means no nail polish. Technically no nail polish ever but no one listens to that, especially on nights.

We're in the market for a new mascara, trying decide on what we want. Personally I have no problem with ridiculous over the top huge lashes. The whole 'day time wear' concept is lost on me when it comes to lashes. Have been happy with Lancome products before, but variety, curried spice of life, etc.

Lashes, I use Benefit's " They're Real" ($23) ..I got it as a sample from Sephora and now I'm addicted to it, seriously my eyelashes are out of control with this. http://www.sephora.com/product/productD … slide1_img

A tip I learned from a friend after you do your coats of mascara, using your index finger gently push the lashes upwards.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#127 | Back to Top10-17-2013 07:00:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

My mom applied some of that Benefit mascara.  She already has long lashes, but with that stuff?  It actually kind of made me angry.  emot-mad

#128 | Back to Top10-17-2013 07:57:18 PM

lex

^ It works sooo well! I couldn't believe at first. I had these fluttery eyelashes, it almost *almost* made me re-consider wearing falsies.

Last edited by lex (10-17-2013 08:06:46 PM)

#129 | Back to Top10-17-2013 08:37:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This sounds like what I'm looking for. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#130 | Back to Top10-19-2013 06:12:40 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yes, instead of the current chunks of black goo adhering to our lashes.

"No, we don't need mascara! It's fine!"

emot-rolleyes, I say. emot-rolleyes

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#131 | Back to Top10-19-2013 06:44:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yasha wrote:

Go buy all of the thingssssssss

Elf is currently having a 40% off site-wide sale, and Sephora is loading up on all of the Holiday sets and deals. 

And I think two perfume brands are currently on hautelook?

#132 | Back to Top10-21-2013 12:01:20 PM

lex

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Go buy all of the thingssssssss

Elf is currently having a 40% off site-wide sale, and Sephora is loading up on all of the Holiday sets and deals. 

And I think two perfume brands are currently on hautelook?

I was going to stock up on some of the ELF holiday kits (mainly the brushes) but I think I will go over to Sephora and have a look-see. Right now I'm looking for a deep-red lipstick (matte preferably) I want a vamp kind of look and none of my lipsticks are cutting it. Also, any deep purples...would be good too. Drugstore brand rec's are fine, as well as pricier options.

#133 | Back to Top10-21-2013 04:53:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

lex wrote:

jfcwhyismyhandlesolong wrote:

I was going to stock up on some of the ELF holiday kits (mainly the brushes) but I think I will go over to Sephora and have a look-see. Right now I'm looking for a deep-red lipstick (matte preferably) I want a vamp kind of look and none of my lipsticks are cutting it. Also, any deep purples...would be good too. Drugstore brand rec's are fine, as well as pricier options.

The UD Revolution Lipsticks and Givenchy lipsticks get my thumbs up, based on what I have sampled.  If you can find a suitable color I say go for it.  They are very creamy and opaque, even their mattes, but don't feel like they have that white, pasty undertone that some thicker formulas do.  I will say that the UD Revolution lipsticks wear brighter than they look in the tube.  The Nuetragena lip crayon in Raisen is also a surprisingly dark red, with wine and brown tones.  It's pretty naturally-glossy and casual, though. 

I fucking love red lips now.  Don't have time for a complicated eye look?  Going out to do literally anything?  Red lip and BAM, you look so fucking professional and put together, or casual but chic.  Fucking whatever you want.  Scrub your lips beforehand, wear a matching (or one shade darker for a kickass bit of dimension and boldness) lip liner and smooth the edges out with a lip brush and red lips are like the pit bulls of make-up.  They look really scary but are actually really approachable and easy to handle provided you aren't a complete jackass.

Pixiwoo, as always, does fantaaaaaaaastic dark red lips. 

True purple lipsticks are out of my depth.  I'd like to try some for fall, though.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-21-2013 10:01:37 PM)

#134 | Back to Top10-21-2013 07:38:38 PM

lex

I love pixiwoo!!

I've been wearing a red lip for about two months now, and it does make me feel "put together" or just done up. I want a deeper color though because I feel like a wine color is more complimentary for my skin tone. I will try out the ones you mentioned, hopefully one will work out. emot-dance

I've also tried the Maybelline line of purples/violets that are in drugstores right now. Can't say I'm too impressed with how they look (leaning too much towards fuschia) and so I blend them with darker shades for a deeper look. Will continue my search.

#135 | Back to Top10-21-2013 07:43:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

lex wrote:

Right now I'm looking for a deep-red lipstick (matte preferably) I want a vamp kind of look and none of my lipsticks are cutting it.

I don't know if this would cut it for you, but I recently got Ruby Woo from MAC. It suits my skin tone, but that's because it's more on the blue side. Tassle (which.... seems to be discontinued) is Gio's, and it never quite suited me, as it's got warmer undertones. (Oh man, I hope it's not discontinued... Gio won't like having to find a new one.)

The only thing I can think of that I don't like about the Ruby Woo is that it feels a little dry once it's on, but it's matte, so what do you expect, right?

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#136 | Back to Top10-21-2013 08:06:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yasha wrote:

I don't know if this would cut it for you, but I recently got Ruby Woo from MAC. It suits my skin tone, but that's because it's more on the blue side. Tassle (which.... seems to be discontinued) is Gio's, and it never quite suited me, as it's got warmer undertones. (Oh man, I hope it's not discontinued... Gio won't like having to find a new one.)

I like the one review on Tassle. "Tassle is that kind of red you look like a slut..."

Nothing makes you feel better about spending 22 bucks on a nonessential beauty product than slut shaming other women who do the exact same thing.  emot-smile 

Now I want to leave a review on a lip product like, "This color was so provocative, I put it on and just got the biggest craving for indiscriminately sucking cock and never getting married."

#137 | Back to Top10-21-2013 08:28:28 PM

lex

Well to be honest, I want it to be the shade of dark red that puts fear into men. emot-tongue That's how I will determine how well it works, just kidding.

#138 | Back to Top10-21-2013 09:05:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

lex wrote:

Well to be honest, I want it to be the shade of dark red that puts fear into men. emot-tongue That's how I will determine how well it works, just kidding.

Hmm, Tassle, even if found, might be too bright then. I tried it on (no pics because effort and I look like sleep-deprived hell) and it's just barely not turning orange on me. On a dark complexion it probably won't stay red.

When Yasha grabbed Ruby Woo, I got...wtf, nevermind. They gave me the wrong shade. I was going to buy Fixed on Drama and they gave me Diva, which is close, but has more blue, so it looks like shit on me.

Great.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#139 | Back to Top10-21-2013 09:52:25 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well, I hate to say it, but the last three or four times we've gone to MAC have been utter shite as far as customer service... Normally I don't care that much, but if it's a choice between having salespeople ten feet up your ass the entire time, standing at the counter with your makeup waiting for five minutes while reps walk right past you and look at you as if they don't know what you're doing there and have conversations with each other that are clearly not work-related while you try to get their attention, or getting stuff that isn't what you asked for...

Ugh, MAC, we may have to abandon you. It's not even like this is a problem with just one location. emot-frown

Anyway, lex, as far as scary reds go, I can't really help out there... all the ones I've got are literally years old and probably discontinued even if I knew what they were called. I haven't needed one for a long time.

#140 | Back to Top10-22-2013 02:15:20 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yasha wrote:

Well, I hate to say it, but the last three or four times we've gone to MAC have been utter shite as far as customer service... Normally I don't care that much, but if it's a choice between having salespeople ten feet up your ass the entire time, standing at the counter with your makeup waiting for five minutes while reps walk right past you and look at you as if they don't know what you're doing there and have conversations with each other that are clearly not work-related while you try to get their attention, or getting stuff that isn't what you asked for...

Ugh, MAC, we may have to abandon you. It's not even like this is a problem with just one location. emot-frown

I heard MAC tends to have this problem, since they assume their product is so fantastic it'll sell no matter the shitty service.  It's (partly) also why they don't really do sales or official samples.

#141 | Back to Top10-22-2013 03:20:38 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yeah, if they can't make this right tomorrow (today), I'm gonna cut them loose. emot-frown

#142 | Back to Top10-22-2013 01:46:43 PM

lex

The terrible customer service at MAC is exactly why I do not shop there. I can get that kind of treatment in other avenues of my life for free without having to patron there. I've had good experiences at Sephora, but sometimes it really does end up being who is working there. Once at Sephora, I ended up waiting in line for well over 30 minutes just to buy a pot of black eyeshadow and the saleswoman behind the counter noticed that I had been waiting awfully patiently (it helped that on that particular day I had nowhere to be) but---because of my patience and lack of moaning and complaining (I was the only person in line) ---she gave me two bags of free samples: skin-care, lipstick, glitter eyeshadow, primer, foundation, mascara...she hooked me up. It was awesome. That's why I frequent Sephora, but only the free-standing stores and not the ones in malls. I've had horrible experiences with the stores in the mall involving contouring.

I also frequent Ulta, which I LOVE (my love for Ulta is so hard) ...primarily because I have a crush on the woman working the Benefit counter.

#143 | Back to Top10-22-2013 03:42:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

lex wrote:

The terrible customer service at MAC is exactly why I do not shop there. I can get that kind of treatment in other avenues of my life for free without having to patron there. I've had good experiences at Sephora, but sometimes it really does end up being who is working there. Once at Sephora, I ended up waiting in line for well over 30 minutes just to buy a pot of black eyeshadow and the saleswoman behind the counter noticed that I had been waiting awfully patiently (it helped that on that particular day I had nowhere to be) but---because of my patience and lack of moaning and complaining (I was the only person in line) ---she gave me two bags of free samples: skin-care, lipstick, glitter eyeshadow, primer, foundation, mascara...she hooked me up. It was awesome. That's why I frequent Sephora, but only the free-standing stores and not the ones in malls. I've had horrible experiences with the stores in the mall involving contouring.

I also frequent Ulta, which I LOVE (my love for Ulta is so hard) ...primarily because I have a crush on the woman working the Benefit counter.

I visit the Sephora in the JCPenny at my mall, unless they don't have something I need (then I go to the bigger Sephora in the mall).  The ladies there are very nice and helpful, and never EVER have I been ignored.  Of course, past a certain point they begin to recognize you.  I don't think they are fantastic make-up artists, but honestly, I feel like most make-up related employees, be it the women in white coats at the Este Lauder counter to the Clinique kiosk workers are not very skilled with make-up.  I'm always spotting unblended shadows in hideous colors, bleeding red lips and overly trimmed and filled brows.  I lot of this seems to be because they are putting on tons of bright and bold make-up.  I don't know if that's the counter the bright white lights in the stores or a demand from their employers to wear more "noticeable" shades.

But like I mentioned earlier, holding shopping bags tends to get you more attention from sales ladies. 

And I've never been totally in love with Ulta.  I like that they carry drugstore brands and have sales and coupons like a mofo, but they take forever to process online orders, and their in-store customer service has always been lacking (granted, there is only one Ulta in Springfield and it is quite new).  I get ignored, even by the Benefit counter employees and I always notice out-of-stock items, opened packaging and general messiness.

#144 | Back to Top10-22-2013 05:58:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Spoke to the manager at MAC, and they'll exchange with no receipt, and that's about what I expected... but I also emailed head office to see if there was a way to get a tube of Fixed on Drama, since it's sold out. I know from experience that the managers at retail level really don't have a hell of a lot of pull, but head office does, so we'll see what comes of that.

Still, we're bringing the dupe to Sephora to see if we can get a closer match to Fixed on Drama. Diva, the shade we have now, has too much blue, and while it's not terrible, it's also not a really great shade for Gio either, the way Fixed on Drama was. It would probably look good on me, but that's not the point.

#145 | Back to Top10-22-2013 06:34:20 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

I've also tried the Maybelline line of purples/violets that are in drugstores right now. Can't say I'm too impressed with how they look (leaning too much towards fuschia) and so I blend them with darker shades for a deeper look. Will continue my search.

Did you see the Maybelline one that actually looks almost like a true, if slightly blue-tinged, purple? Not sure if it's a liquid lipcolor or a thick gloss, but that's the truest purple I've seen since purple lipcolor became trendy again. All of the other ones, as you said, have been more pink/red-toned. *grumbles about MAC Heroine*

You may have to go indie for what you want, though.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#146 | Back to Top10-22-2013 07:25:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I haven't been able to wear any make-up for over a week due to my skin going all fuckballs dry on me.  When my skin acts up I try to lay off the products so it has time to breathe and be treated. 

My thebalm Balmjovi Rockstar pallete just came in.  (19.00 on Hautelook, but they take so long to process and ship that I kinda forgot about it....)  I also got a neato (but not available, exactly, on Sephora.com) holiday favorites set from Sepora:

-Golden make-up bag
-Mini NARS Orgasm/Laguna Blush/Bronzer duo
-UD shadow duo in Sin/Mushroom
-Tube of Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream (1 fl oz)
-Fullsize Benefit's They're Real mascara
-Sephora brand black liquid liner
-OCC Lip Tar in Strumpet, which a dark, blue-leaning fuschia color

I think it was $35 dollars, which is a fucking steal.

I want to smear it all on mah face.  emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad

Until then, keep posting so I can vicariously live through you all. 

(I have also realized I am shit at picking out lip colors, since I tend to like all of them.)

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-22-2013 07:25:49 PM)

#147 | Back to Top10-22-2013 09:21:08 PM

lex

Raven Nightshade wrote:

lex wrote:

Did you see the Maybelline one that actually looks almost like a true, if slightly blue-tinged, purple? Not sure if it's a liquid lipcolor or a thick gloss, but that's the truest purple I've seen since purple lipcolor became trendy again. All of the other ones, as you said, have been more pink/red-toned. *grumbles about MAC Heroine*

You may have to go indie for what you want, though.

One of the reasons I was so pumped for the trend was I finally figured I'd be able to locate a good shade without having to shill out upwards of $50 for a one time thing.  That being said, I wear purple secondary to wearing my go-to which is a nude color with lip liner (I am stuck in the 90s makeup wise and I don't care too much).

So.....I present to you hyperbolically fifty shades of purple:

Kleancolor's Femme Lipstick in 12/Purple Machine http://www.amazon.com/KLEANCOLOR-Femme- … B00B2A44W2
I paid about $2 at a beauty supply store, and, it exceeded my expectations for a cheapie lipstick. The color is vivid and everything you get purple....the problem is it's oily (not a consistent formula) and it has the weird fragrance associated with some cheapie lipsticks (also the Jordana brand) and it dries your lips. Soooo....you have to do prepwork with this one.

Black Radiance #5112 ($3)
It looks purple from the tube, but it goes on towards a magenta/fuschia. Like, I don't know what to do with this thing. It's got the thick formula and it's pretty matte but ....it's just like coloring on your lips with a huge crayon.

Essence #59 Funky/Funky (On sale $2.50)
This one I bought from Ulta and it's this awesome shade of purple frost with GLITTER. I really like this one, it's smooth and all that jazz.....problem is...it's a tint. I felt like I'd been transported to 1995 and starring in that Disney movie, Wish Upon a Star.

NYX 601 Castle ($4)
This is the best of the group, it goes on consistently and the color is noticeable. So what's the downside, well it's lilac-ish, and it's not a vivid shade of purple. So I end up looking like a corpse.

Kate Moss for Rimmel 04 ($7)
By far the most solid of the bunch, the color is plum and deep. For $7 bucks it does one hell of a job giving a sultry look, the problem is...once again formula dries out very quickly (and I didn't have this problem with the reds in the collection).

Forever 21 Love and Beauty High Pigment Lip Gloss  (Purple shade--is it discontinued??)
Forever 21 has a beauty line and like most things, it's a hit or a miss. The red high pigment gloss is a great no-commitment gloss that you swipe on and you're done and it's easy. This is sooo lackluster, it's like a hint of a tint. Disappointed.

I think I'm going to try OOC at this point. But I just wanted ease...why oh why.

Last edited by lex (10-22-2013 09:21:32 PM)

#148 | Back to Top10-23-2013 08:42:06 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Yasha wrote:

If you're going to be in NYC, L'Artisan has a shop in Soho

Edit: Apparently the freestanding shops closed, but there's still a counter in Henri Bendel.

Henri Bendel, 712 Fifth Avenue (between 55th and 56th Streets), New York, NY 10019; 212-904-7990.

Edit the Second: When Gio and I go shopping for perfume in Manhattan, we're going to Aedes de Venustas, which again has a L'Artisan counter.

I went and it was great, I got to smell some of the L'Artisan line and found some thing that equaled cake perfume. Also so many shiny items and helpful staff.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#149 | Back to Top10-23-2013 11:19:25 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yeah, honestly, high end perfume is the best thing when you have a good store to visit and good people running it.

Should anyone ever visit Vancouver (or for those of you who live there, I know we have a couple Vancouverites emot-keke), The Perfume Shoppe is stellar. Absolutely marvelous. The lady who runs it, Nazrin, has a great nose, she knows her stock, and she will go to great lengths to get you what you want. When Gio and I were there, we asked about a discontinued perfume, L'Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger, on the off chance that she might have a bottle from the 2011 press hanging around. Nazrin wasn't certain that she still had one, thought she might have sold her only small bottle in the last couple of days because she remembered bringing it out to show someone, but she tore through all her L'Artisan stock just in case. She even said that she would send it to us in Edmonton if she turned out to have one and couldn't find it within the next ten minutes.

Turns out that she did have it. What's more, she only told us after she had named the price (very reasonable at $60, actually) and we agreed to buy it, that it was a first press of the perfume from 2007. Basically, it's a collector's item. We use it sparingly and with great appreciation. emot-keke

So yeah. Anyone goes to Van and wants perfume, go see Nazrin and she'll hook you up. We had loads of fun tossing around possible scents and scent themes like coffee and chocolate and all the rest. She's a wonderful lady.

#150 | Back to Top10-28-2013 04:46:07 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

LightBrite wrote:

omg benefit mascara etc-loveetc-love

Smexy Lexy wrote:

omg benefit mascara also etc-loveetc-love

me: Jumping on the bandwagon, holy shit. I got a decent sized sample of the stuff in my Sephora birthday gift. Jesus Christ. It felt like beautiful velvet spiders had given up their legs to adorn my eyes. Like... jesus! Just go buy some. It's stupid expensive, but soooo worth it. I'm gonna milk that little bottle for all it's got. I also bought a Kat Von D duochrome, and I'm super impressed. Gorgeous, creamy, highly pigmented, and the deep mocha to green shimmer is fucking gorgeous. The pictures do no justice. I've been eyeing the Ladybird palette for so long, and no one has had it in. emot-frown I was also really impressed by the foundations I swatched, as well as the eye pencil -it's just as good as the UD 24/7 line, although the black isn't quite as solid as Perversion -but honestly, no one else's is either. I was really impressed by the lipsticks as well, although the color I was thinking about buying was -again- not in stock, so I can't really attest to them being moisturizing or not. :/ But if anyone else is considering her, Kat Von D got up with someone good to produce her line. It's all really solid stuff.

Since it was my birthday, I also bought a Kevyn Aucoin single in a smokey navy-aubergine (which has proven a difficult color to work with), a bunch of ELF brushes, their makeup setting spray, and some Rimmel BB cream as well as their brown eyeliner pencil -which I love. They're a good drugstore dupe for the UD 24/7's imho.

I also got some samples from Nordstrom's of a few perfumes. Balenciaga's Florabotanica, which starts out far too heavily for my liking, eventually works itself into a really pleasant light musk with some fresher green and floral notes. I didn't try it, but Balenciaga has a Nordy's exclusive, a rose perfume that apparently has notes of rose, black pepper and vetiver. So maybe you'll like it Yasha? I also got samples of Estee Lauder, Modern Muse -which I haven't tried yet, Estee and I haven't had the best of luck in the past- and Marni. Oh man. Now that's my standout. Starts out fantastic, JUST a little too sweet to be a man's cologne, and fades into a gorgeous clear and clean ALMOST but not quite powder scent. I'm definitely in love, and am going to have to use this sample bottle sparingly.

Last edited by MissMocha (10-28-2013 04:47:41 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer