This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-07-2006 08:50:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: [USofA] 11/7! Vote like it matters! Maybe someday it will.

THERE IS NO PURPLE emot-gonk

I'm NPA, and with you 100% on WHERE THE CRAP DID THIS HOLY REPUBLICAN POOP COME FROM??? Before they went all fun house mirror with the cross business, I agreed very much with their economic policies, but lately they're just as bad as the Democrats there, and I side very strongly with Democrats on social issues. (It blows my mind that we're still debating gay marriage and stem cell research.)

I would vote for a Republican I liked just the same as I'd vote for a Democrat I liked, it just happens to be that at the moment, I believe any change is a step in a better direction and that the system needs a culture shock more than it needs competency and people that side with my desires for the country, both of which I'm not getting anyway.

To be honest, the Democratic party is a complete waste of space to me right now, there's no one doing anything or saying anything interesting, and they're all...well...pussies. No direction, no balls. And no, Obama does not impress me. Right now he runs on his clean reputation and his charisma, which ain't gonna cut it if he wants to be the first black president. If I just haven't heard, someone please let me know...it just seems like he's said nothing about where he is, except that he's gone on about clean fuels a lot.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top11-07-2006 09:04:04 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Giovanna wrote:

It blows my mind that we're still debating gay marriage.

Eventually it'll happen.  Just like eventually emancipation happened.  It's just frustrating that it's taking so fucking long.  It's a rather interesting place I find myself in as my family are 100% Repusblican.  My mother is religious, my father a businessman and my brother a bigot.  And I've been bi for over four years now and I still haven't come out to anyone in my family other than my little 18 year old sister.  That's going to be changing within this next year, but I'm not looking forward to dealing with the homophobic response from my brother, the complete lack of caring from my father and the possible, 'it's a sin' arguement from my mother.  Perhaps I'm just imagining it much, much worse than it'll be, but one can't help but be afraid.  I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into an arguement with my father about gay marriage.  He says he has no issues with same-sex couples getting rights and being together - he just doesn't want it called marriage.  *rolls eyes*

I hate how it has become a game of symantics.  Cause that's all it really is.  Many straight people are fine with same-sex relationships.  They just don;t want their word associated with it.  When I hear that, I say fuck it.  Dissolve all marriages and make marriage an institution of faith/religion and any legal partnerships, regardless of who's invoved are all domestic partnerships.  There - we eliminate the symantic issue.  Therefore, if your faith/religion recognizes same-sex partnerships, they cna get fucking married if they want to.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#28 | Back to Top11-08-2006 09:36:05 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

No no, I love soapboxes. emot-wink

I get sick of the symantics of it, too. I also get sick of politicians who don't know jack about science being in a position to help or hinder it. THE INTERNET IS A SERIES OF TUBES AND STEM CELL RESEARCH IS A BABY HOLOCAUST. emot-rolleyes emot-rolleyes emot-gonk

YAY DEMOCRATS HAVE THE HOUSE. Which doesn't matter since we're down to the wire on the Senate. Frankly I'm disappointed it's still in question, I consider this election as something the Democrats only had to lose. They could have campaigned by killing kittens and still have captured the House. Had they played their cards with any skill, we wouldn't be discussing key states and slim victories, we'd just be hearing pundits analyze the repercussions of the new Democrat sweep in Washington.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#29 | Back to Top11-08-2006 10:01:17 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

They could have campaigned by killing kittens and still have captured the House. Had they played their cards with any skill, we wouldn't be discussing key states and slim victories, we'd just be hearing pundits analyze the repercussions of the new Democrat sweep in Washington.

Hey I have to differ on this being from Virginia and watching my state determine who gets the Senate (awesome!!). Dems WINNING in Montana and Virginia is like the Confederacy electing Lincoln. It's a OMG this will never happen and then, hey, a miracle. Webb was a complete unknown with no money when he started his campaign to topple the amazingly popular George Allen. Allen was untouchable here in Virginia, the good ol' boy the men wanted to have a beer with and the handsome Senator the women fell all over for (um, not that I agree). His daddy was a Redskins football coach. He was a popular governor. He was going to be President of the US someday, and was a front runner to do so in 2008. Now he's looking at no career at all, washed up and beaten by a guy no one in Virginia had heard of back in February. Webb had to beat a traditional liberal Democrat in the primary. He won because Virginia Dems thought a former Reagan marine would have a better chance of beating Allen and we were right. Webb did have to run a sqeaky clean race because one mistake and it was all over. The only thing Allen could say about him is that Webb has written several war/espionage novels and he put some steamy sex scenes in the books. In the end, voters in urban areas voted for Webb in huge numbers, voters in rural areas voted for Allen. We have huge naval bases on the Chesapeake Bay and in Virginia Beach and the military vote got split between the two candidates and now there's only 3,000 or so votes difference but I think Webb's got it.

What we are seeing is a turning point in Virginia history where the more educated populace is finally turning the state a little more than half blue. It's hard to realize just how big a deal that is in a red meat state like Virginia. The Montana race is very similar with a Democratic candidate that looks more like a Republican but that's what it will take and this is the first year that the Democratic Party has been willing to run candidates like this and it's paid off. The Dems can thank the low approval ratings of the President that got us into Iraq and doesn't know how to end it. Now the Dems have to step up and come up with a plan. George can veto it but they still need to show some major leadership. I don't think they really thought they could get the Senate. This will be interesting but I as a politics junky, I'm lovin' it.

Meanwhile, Gio, I hate to say it but I think Floriday is turning all red. Thanks, Jeb.

Last edited by Dani (11-08-2006 10:02:47 AM)

#30 | Back to Top11-08-2006 01:21:25 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I've been gnawing my nails down to the nub watching you bastards in Virginia! GO GO GO GO GO! I don't know the state well but I was pretty damn surprised to hear it being such a swing state, that ain't blue territory. Good for Webb, he rose to a big challenge having to slip through an election without getting the feces thrown at him; a few naughty sex scenes in books? Humbug. I'd vote for someone because they wrote such things.

As for me...psh. Florida was going to be red. When I said my vote didn't count, I meant it. emot-gonk I voted no on all but one of the amendments and they got passed anyway. emot-mad

That said, RUMSFELD'S DOWN. RUMMY. IS. DOWN. I'm at work so I can't partake yet, but the word is this right here is the sweetest piece of press conference in all history: BUSH BEING TORN A NEW ASS.

This couldn't be hotter if they were replacing Rumsfeld with Saion-oh wait. That would be much hotter. etc-wankgirl

#31 | Back to Top11-08-2006 02:16:53 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

WOOHOO FIRST BLACK GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETTS!  First Dem in the governor's seat in 16 YEARS!

Every Dem I voted for got in, and all the Green-Rainbow Party folks I voted for made a really nice showing.

After the way Romney's gutted this state, it was a mindblowing relief to see the headlines in the Globe.

AND SANTORUM'S OUT.  That just made it so much sweeter.

Really, I'm feeling like winning the House is a bonus.  Rummy resigning is like Xmas!  Winning the Senate at this point would make me think I was dreaming.  Not that I'm arguing...

#32 | Back to Top11-08-2006 02:46:00 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Well, skimmed through the various Indiana results.  Ouch, I sure can't pick winners. emot-keke;  Looking at the list of people I voted for (or at least, the list of people I knew would be on the ballot before I got to the polls--all the extra judges stuff through me for a loop because they hadn't been listed on the election guide I looked at...) out of 15, only 4 that I voted for got in.  One didn't have anyone running against him, and another was Richard Lugar, who I like as a rather moderate Republican.  I'll admit, I rather like the Senators representing my state.  Lugar and Bayh, one Republican, one Democrat, both fairly moderate.  I don't like extremes, and they don't fall to the extremes really.  Although if Bayh is considering a run for the presidency, he might shift left to try to get some more primary votes.  Lugar didn't shift right during his attempt, and I'm not sure he even made it to the Indiana primaries (I wish they would change the damn primary system!)

Oh yeah, and the other two I voted for that got in were the County Auditor and the Circuit Court Clerk.  How impressive. :p  But none of the races were blow outs either, so I really do feel like my vote counted.  Well, except for my vote for the Green Party candidate.  He didn't even get a percent of the vote.  emot-keke;  Oh well, I voted for him in good conscience.

Could there be anything sweeter than Rumsfeld resigning?  Certainly.  Bush following suit. ^_-  (I'm not particularly concerned about offending anyone with that comment.  Even my ultra-conservative family members have gotten to the point that they can't wait for him to be out.  But if that did offend someone, my apologies.)

#33 | Back to Top11-08-2006 03:37:12 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

That said, RUMSFELD'S DOWN. RUMMY. IS. DOWN.

Some of the best political news in YEARS.  Time to do the happy dance. emot-dance

And yay Dems for taking the house with ease, and fingers crossed for Virginia in the senate; that'll be the one senator buffer to cancel out Lieberman who I don't trust.  I'm still disappointed that Lamont didn't get the senate seat here. emot-mad

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (11-08-2006 03:40:11 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#34 | Back to Top11-08-2006 04:28:30 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

I am so happy about the news today, wow, what a change one day can make in a democracy. I hope countries around the world look at us and see what American government can really be like when the people exercise their right to vote.  There were so many races that proved that one vote DOES really count. Or at least a few thousand votes together.

Virginia -  Well, from what I understand, they are going back and checking for any "irregularities" at each precincts (math errors in adding, etc). This should not take long because all voting is computer automated in Virginia (not the Diebold machines but different machines). If no problems of consequence are found (i.e. problems that would get Allen 7,000 votes without giving Webb any...very unlikely), then there will be no reason for a recount and Allen would have to concede. They should know this probably tomorrow or Saturday.

Massachusetts - I am so happy for you all up there. Mitt just seemed...wrong...for Mass. And I'm puzzled by the high regard people give a presidential bid on his part. I'm not sure he would carry his own state (Gore couldn't carry Tennessee either but, hey, TN won't elect the best candidate ever, Harold Ford, 'cus he's African-American). Plus, is America ready for a religiously diverse Prez?

Pennsylvania - Chris Matthews said it best about Santorum (I REALLY didn't like that guy). He's up there last night on stage and his kids are crying. It was kinda sad but then Chris Matthews said something like, "It really rips your heart out to see those kids crying because their Dad was rejected.  But there are lots of kids in Iraq who have lost their mom or dad." Wow, point taken.

Connecticut - The Lieberman thing is so interesting but I think he's really wants to keep his seniority in the Democratic Party so he can get those chairmanships. They have promised that he can keep them so they got a leash on him and if they get the Senate (which looks likely) then they need him too to keep Cheney from being able to break a tie. Good political bedfellows. I bet when he is up for re-election, he'll run as a Democrat. But yeah, a lot of party members dissed him so there's got to be bad feeling.

Indiana - Yeah, I think Bayh will definitely move to Hillary's left (but then she's gonna HAVE to start taking a position on stuff, she's not starting the campaign well, I don't think. And she needs to get Bill off the stage. I love him but he's a distraction.) I was sorry when Virginia's Mark Warner said he wasn't going to run but I think Bayh benefits from Warner's exit as the pragmatic alternative.

2006 might be over but 2008 just started. Fun!

#35 | Back to Top11-08-2006 07:07:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

tohubohu wrote:

Winning the Senate at this point would make me think I was dreaming.  Not that I'm arguing...

You're not dreaming. emot-smile

Go, Virginia!!

#36 | Back to Top11-08-2006 08:54:01 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Thanks! We are doing the happy dance in VA tonight! emot-dance

#37 | Back to Top11-08-2006 08:57:07 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Go BLUE!

Way to go Virginia!  Now there will be at least a glimmer of hope in this country's direction come January with checks and balances back in the equation.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#38 | Back to Top11-08-2006 10:39:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm glad the Democrats got Congress back. I'm an economic liberal because I have no money.

And I'm a social liberal because... well, with everything I am, not being one would be downright stupid.

But people still call me a racist bigot because, as the child of two green card holders, I don't support blanket amnesty for all illegal immigrants. I want them to get in line like my parents did, not be rewarded for breaking the law.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#39 | Back to Top11-09-2006 12:09:17 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

But people still call me a racist bigot because, as the child of two green card holders, I don't support blanket amnesty for all illegal immigrants. I want them to get in line like my parents did, not be rewarded for breaking the law.

I'm a child of similar stock; my father was a firm believer in doing it the right (hard) way. He also learned English as soon as he got here and deep down, I agree with the sentiment, though I can't say it out loud where I am without getting in trouble. I don't know why people equate learning the common language of the country they moved to with sacrificing their cultural identity. By all means speak your native tongue, just make that tiny, tiny gesture to fit in maybe?

Maybe I'm just bitter because where I live, at least a third of the people I meet do not know English. Furthermore, they get annoyed at me for not speaking their tongue. ...sorry? emot-frown

#40 | Back to Top11-09-2006 12:24:47 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

My dad didn't have the benefit of ESL programs, nor did he piss and moan when nobody else knew his language. He learned English. And now, you can't tell that it's not his first language.

My next door neighbors speak Spanish at home and English out and about. They don't piss and moan about everyone else not bending over backwards to accomodate them. Their home is how they want it and when they're out and about they adapt.

#41 | Back to Top11-09-2006 04:27:28 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

angelicreation wrote:

The only way to guaruntee our rights won't be taken away is to exercise them.

Totally agreed here.
Though I don't vote, I got myself registered when I turned eighteen. Even though often the whole lot of candidates are a bunch of fucking holy ass, but I can exercise my right when I find somebody who is really capable and worth my vote.school-eng101

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#42 | Back to Top11-09-2006 01:17:09 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Tenjou_sailorsaturn wrote:

angelicreation wrote:

The only way to guaruntee our rights won't be taken away is to exercise them.

Totally agreed here.
Though I don't vote, I got myself registered when I turned eighteen. Even though often the whole lot of candidates are a bunch of fucking holy ass, but I can exercise my right when I find somebody who is really capable and worth my vote.school-eng101

While I am not an American, I can understand the need to exercise your right to vote. 

Over here, even thou we have compulsory voting over here, most of the people here either always vote for one party all their lives or they waste their vote with ‘Donkey’ votes or just by wilfully invalidating the vote somehow leaving the key 5-10% of voters who swing from one party to another depending on how they feel about the two main parties to decide who ends up running the place.

#43 | Back to Top11-09-2006 05:53:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

My dad didn't have the benefit of ESL programs, nor did he piss and moan when nobody else knew his language. He learned English. And now, you can't tell that it's not his first language.

My next door neighbors speak Spanish at home and English out and about. They don't piss and moan about everyone else not bending over backwards to accomodate them. Their home is how they want it and when they're out and about they adapt.

I've always heard most of California was much like South Florida in this way...not true? There are major Spanish populations down here that will openly and quite rudely snub you if you don't speak Spanish. Their Spanish.

#44 | Back to Top11-09-2006 06:53:38 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

It a sad state Colorado is in.  Amendment 43 passed and Referrendum I did not.  This state has just constitutionalized bigotry by banning gay marriage.

I am not happy with my state right now.  The only bright things are the votes were real close (54/46) and we succeeded in getting Bill Ritter elected governor.  Therefore, we do not have the Republican Incarnation of Evil, Janet Rowland, anywhere near the gubenatorial seat.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#45 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:34:34 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

angelicreation wrote:

It a sad state Colorado is in.  Amendment 43 passed and Referrendum I did not.  This state has just constitutionalized bigotry by banning gay marriage.

I am not happy with my state right now.  The only bright things are the votes were real close (54/46) and we succeeded in getting Bill Ritter elected governor.  Therefore, we do not have the Republican Incarnation of Evil, Janet Rowland, anywhere near the gubenatorial seat.

Don't feel discouraged. Your state was one of eight anti-gay marriage propositions that all passed including ours in Virginia. Political change takes time and then, when it seems like forever, it changes really fast. Like yesterday after 12 years of Republicans running US legislation. In 2004 I couldn't believe that most of America thought the Iraq war was going fine. Two years later, America wakes up in a big way. Another example, Ronald Reagan didn't even SAY the word "AIDS" in public until 1987, ignoring the disease for SIX years while it became an epidemic. Now George W. Bush has actually given more money to AIDS than any other president.

In 1972, the American Psychiatric Association finally took homosexuality off of its list of mental illnesses. In 2005, the same organization ENDORSED gay marriage for mental health reasons. Now most national (local will take longer) politicians stop short of saying gay couples do not deserve equal rights, they just don't want to use the term "marriage". And that is HUGE. It doesn't seem like progress is being made but it's there. And I love to point out Bush's big gaffe last year when he referred to gay marriage as a "civil rights" issue during a press conference. The press leaped on it, asking him if he truly believed gay rights was a "civil rights" Martin Luther King-like issue. He dodged it, but he knows it IS a civil rights issue and more and more younger generations believe that also.

And being from Virginia, I can appreciate a little tradition. I worked on the Webb campaign (yay, Webb!) but I was kinda proud of George Allen today in his concession speech. He conceded because it was the right, and POLITE, thing to do. That's a Virginian totally. Virginians are like that and we are taught that whole "southern thang" from birth. And maybe that's why I haven't moved. Of course I live in "Northern" Virginia where Webb got 60-70% of the vote!

Last edited by Dani (11-09-2006 07:36:38 PM)

#46 | Back to Top11-09-2006 11:07:23 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Giovanna wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I've always heard most of California was much like South Florida in this way...not true? There are major Spanish populations down here that will openly and quite rudely snub you if you don't speak Spanish. Their Spanish.

No, it is pretty similar, but I'd be a nationalist asshole if I mentioned that my neighbors are from Peru, not Mexico. *rolls eyes*

#47 | Back to Top11-10-2006 02:28:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

HAY DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE GAS PRICES SHOT UP .08 CENTS SINCE ELECTION DAY

FUNNY, THAT

I MEAN, WHAT A STRANGE COINCIDENCE.

#48 | Back to Top11-10-2006 04:06:52 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

WHAT A FASCINATING COINCIDENCE, IS IT NOT?

...yeah, I think they heard us.

#49 | Back to Top11-10-2006 06:41:34 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

That'll teach us.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#50 | Back to Top11-10-2006 06:55:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

This is off-topic, but I don't think I've ever mentioned how much I like your avatar, Hinotori.

Board footer