This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-15-2007 06:26:09 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

The Unthinkable has happened!

It has finally happened! The local video stores here in Alaska are commiting a sin! they are selling their entire rental supply of SKU on dvd for crazy prices!
This week sees the black rose saga selling for under $20!!! this is a crime and an outrage! we should fillet them all!school-chef

We all have our own little addictions.

#2 | Back to Top05-15-2007 06:57:40 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: The Unthinkable has happened!

Well I was able to get the complete series of Revolutionary Girl Utena on 6 DVDs from eBay for about $AU100 (including postage) so I was pretty happy except for Disc 5, for some reason, it starts at Nanami's Egg instead of Vermin (Troublesome Insects) like its supposed to, damn annoying that.

Last edited by Tamago (05-15-2007 06:58:17 PM)

#3 | Back to Top05-15-2007 07:00:49 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Well, ebay is one thing. but to take it out of a video rental store? how else will it get exposed to the ignorant masses? how else will it totally screw with someone elses mind? how... i ask you... how?

#4 | Back to Top05-15-2007 07:02:18 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

guardian_rose wrote:

It has finally happened! The local video stores here in Alaska are commiting a sin! they are selling their entire rental supply of SKU on dvd for crazy prices!
This week sees the black rose saga selling for under $20!!! this is a crime and an outrage! we should fillet them all!school-chef

I wish I could go alaska!!!! emot-gonk I want those dvds!!!!

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#5 | Back to Top05-15-2007 07:42:20 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Lol, at first I thought this was a post about how Jerry Falwell had finally died. Never thought I'd see the man get the hell out of here.

Anyone know where his grave is? I have a pressing need to perform a rumba!

I got the first season+movie box set for 20$ at FYE, although I paid just under a hundred for BRS, and 55$ for AA. emot-frown

I bought BRS at a con, tho, back when it was first released on DVD, so that's why. AA I got at FYE, too. I only got the first season a couple months ago, a little before Christmas.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#6 | Back to Top05-15-2007 07:51:34 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

Well, ebay is one thing. but to take it out of a video rental store? how else will it get exposed to the ignorant masses? how else will it totally screw with someone elses mind? how... i ask you... how?

Internet and word of mouth. This series isn't exactly renter material as it is. The casual anime fan is going to start watching this and then lose interest; people who will enjoy it are people who will hear the name and then make a specific effort to find it.

Still, I always check my local anime shops for copies of the anime and manga. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top05-15-2007 08:47:30 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yasha wrote:

The casual anime fan is going to start watching this and then lose interest; people who will enjoy it are people who will hear the name and then make a specific effort to find it.

Quoted for truth.

Most people I have shown Utena to cannot stand it. They think it is some poorly-written politically-correct Feminazi thing. school-devil

#8 | Back to Top05-15-2007 09:15:25 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Its a shame though, still. Here in Alaska, especially where I live, there are so few place to find ANY anime. All of our specialty anime shops keep going out of business because no one wants to pay heavily inflated prices.

I think the worst thing is, is that no one will buy it. emot-gonk

#9 | Back to Top05-15-2007 09:18:08 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Trench Kamen wrote:

Yasha wrote:

The casual anime fan is going to start watching this and then lose interest; people who will enjoy it are people who will hear the name and then make a specific effort to find it.

Quoted for truth.

Most people I have shown Utena to cannot stand it. They think it is some poorly-written politically-correct Feminazi thing. school-devil

politically-correct? emot-confused I don't think that term could be aplied to Utena

#10 | Back to Top05-16-2007 12:07:45 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

morosemocha wrote:

Lol, at first I thought this was a post about how Jerry Falwell had finally died. Never thought I'd see the man get the hell out of here.

Anyone know where his grave is? I have a pressing need to perform a rumba!

AMEN, Sister!  And where was Hinotori when this happened?  Hmm hmm hmm?  Notable Death Fairy indeed! emot-tongue

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#11 | Back to Top05-16-2007 01:49:16 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

politically-correct? emot-confused I don't think that term could be aplied to Utena

I just wanted to quote it xD

In Spain we have acces to the manga only ;_;

#12 | Back to Top05-16-2007 04:28:20 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Don't complain, buy it!

I've bought every individual American release full price emot-gonk
(And the Chinese one, but that wasn't that bad)
Seriously. Do it.

I... My wallet jsut can't comprehend it.

#13 | Back to Top05-16-2007 06:34:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

That's assuming they get past the very bright hair colors and repeating magical girl sequences. emot-frown Touting the connection to Sailor Moon on the American packaging always seemed to me a great disservice to the series. It might be different in Japan, but most of the Sailor Moon fans I know that have watched the series really didn't like it at all. Well sorry. The romantic good-hearted bishonen is not in this castle.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top05-16-2007 06:45:30 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Don't worry, the same for us in Estonia.

I'm beginning to wonder how old I'll be when it'll be possible to buy stuff like that in our country. emot-gonk

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#15 | Back to Top05-16-2007 08:27:54 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

I just wanted to quote it xD

XD

Giovanna wrote:

. The romantic good-hearted bishonen is not in this castle.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA emot-biggrin Sorry couldn't resist XD

Maarika wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder how old I'll be when it'll be possible to buy stuff like that in our country. emot-gonk

At least you have the manga ¬.¬ my best hope is to threaten somebody in the only manga editorial we have and see if they could stop naruto for a while and start Utena...
And the anime probably the only way I can get is Tepitovideo emot-gonk (Tepito is the most famous pirate things center of shopping)

Last edited by Romanticide (05-16-2007 08:28:21 AM)

#16 | Back to Top05-16-2007 09:19:57 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

At least you have the manga ¬.¬ my best hope is to threaten somebody in the only manga editorial we have and see if they could stop naruto for a while and start Utena...
And the anime probably the only way I can get is Tepitovideo emot-gonk (Tepito is the most famous pirate things center of shopping)

Te los llevo, voy a México este verano xD es posible que visite Guadalajara, Cancun (y alrededores) y si eso el DF.

#17 | Back to Top05-16-2007 09:24:36 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Okay, the only thing I got out of Epi's above post was Guadalajara, which I am proud to say I have heard of.

Because it's on that godawful poncho America Ferrerra has in Ugle Betty.

emot-frown I'm a sham when it comes to being cultured. emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Last edited by morosemocha (05-16-2007 09:33:49 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top05-16-2007 09:30:22 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Te los llevo, voy a México este verano xD es posible que visite Guadalajara, Cancun (y alrededores) y si eso el DF.

Cruzando el charco, eh? emot-wink

I couldn't get the manga; it's quite rare here. But the anime episodes (and the movie, btw) can be downloaded easily cool
Anyway, it's a pity not being able to go shop in Alaska emot-frown

#19 | Back to Top05-16-2007 10:41:15 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

Aha! then you know what you must do then! BUY IT. NOW.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#20 | Back to Top05-16-2007 12:30:26 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Te quiero mucho sabias emot-kekeetc-love  El 4 y el 5 si los tengo pero ya los demas no los pude conseguir. Si haces aunque sea escala en el df avisa y nos vemos aunque sea un ratito emot-smile

morosemocha wrote:

Okay, the only thing I got out of Epi's above post was Guadalajara, which I am proud to say I have heard of.

emot-frown I'm a sham when it comes to being cultured. emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Cancun, Guadalajara and D.F.(Mexico city) are all cities. Epi is saying she probably can come to Mexico on summer emot-smile
I have never saw the american version of ugly betty, seems it was a hit over there. I sincerely prefer the original that is from Colombia. The mexican remake... ughh... it was so horrible made me want to clean my eyes with bleach emot-gonk... it portrays Letty so naive and dumb as the original Betty wasn't she just came for a very tradicionalist and represed family. 

Asfalolh wrote:

Solo 12 horas en avion  emot-gonk

I couldn't get the manga; it's quite rare here.

You can't get the Glenat version? emot-confused weird I got many manga on Barcelona... nice city by the way etc-love

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

guardian_rose wrote:

Aha! then you know what you must do then! BUY IT. NOW.

DO IT!!!

Last edited by Romanticide (05-16-2007 12:31:22 PM)

#21 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:30:35 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Romanticide wrote:

Asfalolh wrote:

Pues lo vamos a llamar charquito de ahora en adelante *joking*
Seriously, that's something you only do if you love/miss your homeland a lot.

Romanticide wrote:

You can't get the Glenat version? emot-confused weird I got many manga on Barcelona... nice city by the way etc-love

I think we are invaded by Naruto and anything else disappears...

P.S. Trilinguism is good emot-biggrin

#22 | Back to Top05-17-2007 08:11:07 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

I think we are invaded by Naruto and anything else disappears...

What the hell are you talking about? Yo los pillé en el salón del cómic de barna el año pasado, solo es cuestion de ir a la tienda correcta y listo, mira que si yo los pillo en granada en la tienda flash, no los vas a pillar tu en bcn.... û_u

Romanticide wrote:

Asfalolh wrote:

Pues lo vamos a llamar charquito de ahora en adelante *joking*
Seriously, that's something you only do if you love/miss your homeland a lot.

emot-gonk really? i last two days because of the damn flying connections. And it's "supposed" to be 12 hours, but there are always 14 or 15 emot-mad

By the way Asfalolh, i'm going to the other side of the charco (lol) because actually i'm from the other side of the damn charco, i'm mexican x3

Romanticide wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Te quiero mucho sabias emot-kekeetc-love  El 4 y el 5 si los tengo pero ya los demas no los pude conseguir. Si haces aunque sea escala en el df avisa y nos vemos aunque sea un ratito emot-smile

Mi hermana vive ahi =3 pero.. creo que se muda a francia ese mismo verano, cuando tenga las fechas pues ahi concretamos, ok?

morosemocha wrote:

There are cities, if you people feel bad about us witting in spanish i can translate emot-keke

#23 | Back to Top05-17-2007 08:45:46 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Epi_lepsia wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? Yo los pillé en el salón del cómic de barna el año pasado, solo es cuestion de ir a la tienda correcta y listo, mira que si yo los pillo en granada en la tienda flash, no los vas a pillar tu en bcn.... û_u

I haven't searched them properly, I know. I have no time, Barcelona is huge and I have never been in any Salón del Manga because it is overcrowded for me emot-gonk

Epi_lepsia wrote:

By the way Asfalolh, i'm going to the other side of the charco (lol) because actually i'm from the other side of the damn charco, i'm mexican x3

I knew etc-love (PM)
I think I messed something up. I didn't intended to sound rude at all emot-confused
So sorry for the offtopic-ness

#24 | Back to Top05-17-2007 08:51:03 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

I haven't searched them properly, I know. I have no time, Barcelona is huge and I have never been in any Salón del Manga because it is overcrowded for me emot-gonk

Yes, the salón del manga is horrid, i went once and nevermore xD but you can find them, really. And if you don't have time for searching, search on internet in what stores it's available in your city (huge city). I think it's norma editorial who owns it.

Epi_lepsia wrote:

I knew etc-love (PM)
I think I messed something up. I didn't intended to sound rude at all emot-confused
So sorry for the offtopic-ness

Oh you didn't, don't worry! etc-love

#25 | Back to Top05-17-2007 08:56:45 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Epi, I etc-love you.
I will search for them.

Board footer