This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-28-2014 03:28:40 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Manga version of Utena Movie!

How many of you have you read it? Because I just found a Japanese version of it and read it, and man oh man, was it AMAZING, or what!
it had all the good points of the movie, except the car WTFuckery. It also explained many things better than the movie did!

Spoiler ahead
[
Touga dueled Utena instead of Jyuri, Anthy broke it to Utena that Touga is dead, something that in the movie we see it from the confession room.

There is more background about the two of them and, some 5-6 pages with them being naked in bed doing the nasty emot-tongue  but drawn in such a beautiful way etc-love

There was no dance in the rose garden (something that was really beautiful in the movie)

Jyuri and Mikkii caught Anthy and Utena when they were about to get naked to draw each other emot-tongue

Akio was drugging and fucking Anthy like in the movie but when he stabbed her, Anthy didn't got a hole LOL but just a huge scar

Touga was saying the story of the rose price and his witch sister the rose bride and while telling all those to her, the story with Anthy and Akio was progressing, until Utena followed Anthy and saw her through some transparent wall being raped and stabbed, she was trying to scream and save her but her voice was not audible not even to herself.

Then Akio in prince costume (already dead just like Touga, but the magic of Ohtori academy kept them alive) so Utena told Anthy to leave with her, at that moment Akio took them back to the rose arena and started attacking Utena, by drowning her into roses emot-tongue, and Utena felt like she fell into water and there Touga saved her and told her to leave them all behind and also him, to forget about him.
like that Anthy was very determined to escape as well, and they managed it as the rose garden collapsed.

In the end we saw Utena and Anthy at the cinema watching a movie, which was a greater ending than the movie 
]

So have you read it ? what do you think about it?

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#2 | Back to Top07-30-2014 01:25:54 PM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Manga version of Utena Movie!

Yes, I have read it. I think it is much better than the movie,  yeah it would have been cool to see Utena and Anthy in the manga dancing! Because that was a cute scene in the anime. ^.^ I thought that scene with Utena and Touga was cute too, in the manga!(Utena and Touga are two of my favorite characters , I thought it was neat in the manga having a past relationship because I do like them as a couple) The ending was much better too in the manga with Anthy and Utena in the movie theater.

#3 | Back to Top07-30-2014 02:05:25 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I am one of those rare people who enjoyed the manga. The love scene between Utena and Touga was my favorite.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top07-30-2014 05:11:07 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

kj924 wrote:

(Utena and Touga are two of my favorite characters , I thought it was neat in the manga having a past relationship because I do like them as a couple)

Even me who is hardcore yuri fan and in general finds NOTHING special in hetero relationships (lol) I found these two to be really great in the manga emot-smile

Riri-kins wrote:

I am one of those rare people who enjoyed the manga. The love scene between Utena and Touga was my favorite.

I have not being around utena fandom at all (I was just a fan going alone LOL ) so why people do not like the manga? I'm very curious, because the manga as a whole not just the movie side story, is incredible!

#5 | Back to Top07-31-2014 10:07:37 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Riri-kins wrote:

Same here! That scene was amazing! I do enjoy the manga as well as the anime. It's ashamed that the manga isn't popular.

#6 | Back to Top07-31-2014 10:13:03 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Karuka wrote:

kj924 wrote:

(Utena and Touga are two of my favorite characters , I thought it was neat in the manga having a past relationship because I do like them as a couple)

Even me who is hardcore yuri fan and in general finds NOTHING special in hetero relationships (lol) I found these two to be really great in the manga emot-smile

Yeah, they were really great in the manga:) And the ending I thought was better too than in the movie.

Riri-kins wrote:

I have not being around utena fandom at all (I was just a fan going alone LOL ) so why people do not like the manga? I'm very curious, because the manga as a whole not just the movie side story, is incredible!

I also am very curious why people do not like the manga. I agree the manga is incredible and needs more love!

Last edited by kj924 (07-31-2014 10:13:51 AM)

#7 | Back to Top07-31-2014 10:27:32 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Part of it is probably hate directed towards Chiho Saito. This fan base is probably never going to let her live down her homophobic remark despite that she did change.

#8 | Back to Top07-31-2014 10:59:46 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Jacrad wrote:

Part of it is probably hate directed towards Chiho Saito. This fan base is probably never going to let her live down her homophobic remark despite that she did change.

homophobic remark?
can you enlighten me please?
I have no idea what you are talking about hahahah

EDIT: I was curious and went up to wikipedia to see if it says anything about it, only to find out that she had been doing comics for the official takarazuka magazine (graph) some a year or so LOL why am I NOT surprised XDD emot-rofl (her wiki page)
and she was a huge fan of Haruna Yuri XD
http://youtu.be/UfefN23LgQE
(the one singing first in this)

Last edited by Karuka (07-31-2014 12:47:57 PM)

#9 | Back to Top07-31-2014 05:08:02 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I believe it comes from this interview:

HM: Putting the bare chest topic aside... this series is very popular among people who are gay. What's your opinion towards that?

KI: Gay people around the world like this series.

CS: (laughs) Really? You want to say that so definitively?

KI: I mean when I say around the world --

CS: It's true that there're various types of couple pairings... but you can also say that there aren't any, really. I guess there're many different ways to read between the lines.

KI [cantarella scene]: And this series is the only series of its kind. How do I explain what I'm trying to say? ... There're tons of anime with eroticism, but I'm pretty sure there isn't another anime that tells the story of two girls so innocently. In that respect I think it's popular because this is the only one that does that.

HM: Was that your intention from the beginning?

KI: Yes. I didn't tell Ms. Saito, but I was planning on it.

CS: (laughs) Initially I wasn't told anything about that. He asked me to draw something where the two were close, so I drew a piece where the two were next to each other looking rather friendly. He was extremely happy. I had no idea in the beginning what he was thinking, (laughs) but I figured it out at the end that his goal was to make me draw the two girls looking friendly.

KI: In the beginning, I brought it up lightheartedly during a meeting. She got really angry and said, "If that's the case, I'm out!"

CS: (laughs)

KI (bubbling with laughter): I realized it was something I wasn't supposed to say and I decided to keep it to myself.

CS (more seriously): No, that wasn't it. If I remember correctly, we started a debate about how we should make it more entertaining for girls. We were on a workshop trip and the debate turned into a fight. Mr. Ikuhara wouldn't give any consideration about enjoyment for girls. As a professional manga artist I couldn't offer such a joyless story to the target audience. We had this huge clash (_baaan!_) of opinions, which created a lot of friction between us.

Mainly the last statement in this little snippet is what people get upset over. How Anthy x Utena would be a joyless story for the readers.

If you'd like to read the entire interview you can find it here.

#10 | Back to Top07-31-2014 09:03:29 PM

Ashnod
La potesse revolutionnaire
Website

kj924 wrote:

[
I also am very curious why people do not like the manga. I agree the manga is incredible and needs more love!

For me, the primary manga reduces Juri from a magnificent, if flawed, empress to a simpering Touga groupie who just happens to be a master swordswoman. Who, for reasons unknown, duels Miki with a real sword when he was clearly not expecting her to, with the terrible justification that he needs to be ready for anything. For that reason alone, I cannot stand it.

That character is not the character I came to love in the anime.

I'm objective enough to know that since the manga is a different version of the tale, that this interpretation of the character is valid enough. But I do not like it, so...

Yeah, not a fan.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#11 | Back to Top08-01-2014 02:36:56 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Jacrad wrote:

I believe it comes from this interview:

HM: Putting the bare chest topic aside... this series is very popular among people who are gay. What's your opinion towards that?

KI: Gay people around the world like this series.

CS: (laughs) Really? You want to say that so definitively?

KI: I mean when I say around the world --

CS: It's true that there're various types of couple pairings... but you can also say that there aren't any, really. I guess there're many different ways to read between the lines.

KI [cantarella scene]: And this series is the only series of its kind. How do I explain what I'm trying to say? ... There're tons of anime with eroticism, but I'm pretty sure there isn't another anime that tells the story of two girls so innocently. In that respect I think it's popular because this is the only one that does that.

HM: Was that your intention from the beginning?

KI: Yes. I didn't tell Ms. Saito, but I was planning on it.

CS: (laughs) Initially I wasn't told anything about that. He asked me to draw something where the two were close, so I drew a piece where the two were next to each other looking rather friendly. He was extremely happy. I had no idea in the beginning what he was thinking, (laughs) but I figured it out at the end that his goal was to make me draw the two girls looking friendly.

KI: In the beginning, I brought it up lightheartedly during a meeting. She got really angry and said, "If that's the case, I'm out!"

CS: (laughs)

KI (bubbling with laughter): I realized it was something I wasn't supposed to say and I decided to keep it to myself.

CS (more seriously): No, that wasn't it. If I remember correctly, we started a debate about how we should make it more entertaining for girls. We were on a workshop trip and the debate turned into a fight. Mr. Ikuhara wouldn't give any consideration about enjoyment for girls. As a professional manga artist I couldn't offer such a joyless story to the target audience. We had this huge clash (_baaan!_) of opinions, which created a lot of friction between us.

Mainly the last statement in this little snippet is what people get upset over. How Anthy x Utena would be a joyless story for the readers.

If you'd like to read the entire interview you can find it here.

Hmm where exactly is it homophobic? O_O to the point to upset people. She merely tells her opinion about the target audience, which is the Japanese girls and not any overseas lgbt person (not that there is a problem with overseas lgbt's but they are simply NOT the target audience) it seems to me that people simply look for reasons to get mad, forgetting that what is true in the west is not necessarily true in east v_v. And lets face it the beauty of Utena is the innocent and honest feelings between Utena and Anthy. 
oh well...
Also thanks for the link I'll go read it in a minute

Ashnod wrote:

kj924 wrote:

[

For me, the primary manga reduces Juri from a magnificent, if flawed, empress to a simpering Touga groupie who just happens to be a master swordswoman. Who, for reasons unknown, duels Miki with a real sword when he was clearly not expecting her to, with the terrible justification that he needs to be ready for anything. For that reason alone, I cannot stand it.

I'm objective enough to know that since the manga is a different version of the tale, that this interpretation of the character is valid enough. But I do not like it, so...

Yeah, not a fan.

I think Jyuri's character being like that is the english translation's fault, the original Japanese text gives her more credit as a person, she is in love with Touga, but not the groupie type at all, while groupies are all "kyaaaaaaa tougasamaaaaaaaaaaa" Jyuri never uses such honorific for him.

(I still LOVE her yurilicious character in anime though)

#12 | Back to Top08-01-2014 08:45:25 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Ashnod wrote:

kj924 wrote:

[

Yeah, not a fan.

I see were you going at. Juri is different in both the manga and anime, but  I never thought of her as a groupie though. I also did not care when she dueled Miki with a real sword too.

Last edited by kj924 (02-01-2015 09:57:34 AM)

#13 | Back to Top08-01-2014 09:38:48 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Let's curtail the discussion of Chiho Saito's attitude towards LGBT people, or towards her target audience, in this thread; we have a history on this forum of derailing threads over this topic. emot-biggrin  This would be a more appropriate thread to continue that discussion!

#14 | Back to Top08-01-2014 11:30:18 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

satyreyes wrote:

Let's curtail the discussion of Chiho Saito's attitude towards LGBT people, or towards her target audience, in this thread; we have a history on this forum of derailing threads over this topic. emot-biggrin  This would be a more appropriate thread to continue that discussion!

Ah okay thanks emot-smile

Board footer