This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-14-2009 11:05:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The Astronomy/Cosmology/Astrophysics Lovu Lovu Thread

Because as I understand it, Lady Nil isn't the only one taking astronomy classes at present. emot-smile Got a question? Ask here. Know something cool? Share it! Let's kick things off with a nod to astronomy's personal Jesus, Carl Sagan:

Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/palebluedot-1.jpg
We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

I've cried more than once over that. etc-love But moving on, I will also offer a goodie from the black hole of my hard drive. I believe I downloaded this directly from NASA but I don't know where and that was ages ago. So here, in about 65MB, is a zip archive of hundreds of spiffy, delicious pieces of space image wankery, most of which include caption files discussing the image and how it was taken. It's all in very simple terms, akin to the NASA Picture of the Day, and a great way to journey around space in a short period of time. (Haha, today it's the Owl Nebula, christ I need to lay off the Harry Potter already.) As for the zip, here are a couple examples of what's to be found within.

Hurr Venus Hurr emot-rolleyes

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/mgn_venus_globes.jpg
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICEJET PROPULSION LABORATORYCALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGYNATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATIONPASADENA, CALIF. 91109.  TELEPHONE (818) 354-5011PHOTO CAPTION
P-45186
March 16, 1995
These images are composites of the complete radar image collection obtained by the Magellan mission.  The Magellan spacecraft was launched aboard space shuttle Atlantis in May 1989 and began mapping the surface of Venus in September 1990.  The spacecraft continued to orbit Venus for four years, returning high-resolution images, altimetry, thermal emissions and gravity maps of 98 percent of the surface. Magellan spacecraft operations ended on October 12, 1994, when the radio contact was lost with the spacecraft during its controlled descent into the deeper portions of the Venusian atmosphere.  The surface of Venus is displayed in these five global views.  The center image (A) is centered at Venus's north pole.  The other four images are centered around the equator of Venus at (B) 0 degrees longitude, (C) 90 degrees east longitude, (D) 180 degrees and (E) 270 degrees east longitude.  Magellan synthetic aperture radar mosaics are mapped onto a rectangular latitude-longitude grid to create this image.  Data gaps are filled with Pioneer-Venus Orbiter altimetric data, or a constant mid- range value.  Simulated color is used to enhance small-scale structure.  The simulated hues are based on color images recorded by the Soviet Venera 13 and 14 spacecraft.  The bright region near the center in the polar view is Maxwell Montes, the highest mountain range on Venus.  Ovda Regio is centered in the (C) 90 degrees east longitude view.  Atla Regio is seen prominently in the (D) 180 east longitude view.  The scattered dark patches in this image are halos surrounding some of the younger impact craters.  This global data set reveals a number of craters consistent with an average Venus surface age of 300 million to 500 million years.   The image was produced by the Solar System Visualization Project and the Magellan science team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory'’s Multimission Image Processing Laboratory.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/hst_deep_field.jpg
EMBARGOED UNTIL:  10:00 a.m. CST Monday, January 15, 1996  PHOTO NO.: STSCI-PRC96-01a   
HUBBLE'S DEEPEST-EVER VIEW OF THE UNIVERSE UNVEILS MYRIAD GALAXIES  BACK TO THE BEGINNING  OF TIME 
Several hundred never before seen galaxies are visible in this "deepest-ever" view of the universe,  called the Hubble Deep Field (HDF), made with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.  Besides the classical spiral and elliptical shaped galaxies, there is a bewildering variety of other galaxy shapes and colors that are important clues to understanding the evolution of the universe. Some of the galaxies may have formed less that one billion years after the Big Bang.  Representing a narrow "keyhole" view  all the way to the visible horizon of the universe, the HDF image covers a speck of sky 1/30th the diameter of the full Moon (about 25% of the entire HDF is shown here). This is so narrow, just a few foreground stars in our Milky Way galaxy are visible and are vastly outnumbered by the menagerie of far more distant galaxies, some nearly as faint as 30th magnitude, or nearly four billion times fainter than the limits of human vision.  (The relatively bright object with diffraction spikes just left of center may be a 20th magnitude star.) Though the field is  a very small sample of sky area it is considered representative of the typical distribution of galaxies in space because the universe, statistically, looks the same in all directions.  The image was assembled from many separate exposures (342 frames total were taken, 276 have been fully processed to date and used for this picture) with the Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC2), for ten consecutive days between December 18 to 28, 1995.  This picture is from one of three wide-field CCD (Charged Coupled Device) detectors on the WFPC2.  This "true-color" view was assembled from separate images were taken in blue, red, and infrared light.  By combining these separate images into a single color picture, astronomers will be able to infer -- at least statistically -- the distance, age, and composition of galaxies in the field.  Bluer objects contain young stars and/or are relatively close, while redder objects contain older stellar populations and/or farther away.  This material was presented to the 187th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in San Antonio, Texas on January 15, 1996.  Credit: Robert Williams and the Hubble Deep Field Team (STScI) and NASA

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top05-15-2009 12:39:37 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The Astronomy/Cosmology/Astrophysics Lovu Lovu Thread

The picture of Saturn that Carl Sagan's image came from used to be my desktop wallpaper.  Beautiful and humbling, but lest we be too pessimistic, let us not forget that we're a dot that invented fireworks and space travel and love and Cadbury Mini-Eggs.  (Okay, love was more of a discovery than an invention.)  There's a lot you can do from a dot.  It's more than you could do without one.

That last image is equally astonishing if less personal.  Based on the numbers they give, if you looked up at the full moon and partitioned it into 3600 equal parts, one of those infinitesimal parts would be the size of the chunk of sky represented by that one photograph.  But can someone explain why "the universe, statistically, looks the same in all directions?"  Seems like it should look denser if you look towards the Big Bang than away from it...

#3 | Back to Top05-15-2009 01:19:59 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

As I understand it, with the naked eye, in terms of stars and galaxies, no. Our range of vision is limited to the speed of light, ie. what's reached us.  What's made it to our eyes has had time to develop to an even distribution. Statistically, no one patch of sky has more or less galaxies.

Furthermore, if we assume the universe is expanding, it only looks different in the few million years of light at the edge. The rest of the universe has cooled to stars and planets. It might be that the center will be the first area to atrophy to an even distribution of heat (entropy), but that ignores that for there to be an even state it must encompass the whole.

So the universe expands, but for entropy to finish its job, it has to be still long enough for things to even out? Get used to conflicts in theories, they're still workin' on em. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#4 | Back to Top05-15-2009 12:52:26 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Try to listen something called "The Sounds of Space" on Youtube. It's a clip consisting of radio waves sent from various Solar System objects, that were converted to the spectrum of hearing. Almost all are very cold, and disturbing, creepy noises, but the sound of Earth.... it's a really calm, beautiful, soothing hum, with kind of singing... I can't describe it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYFaEZV-aQ

This is the link to the clip. Tell me how do you like it...

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#5 | Back to Top05-15-2009 06:48:15 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Fffft. Talk about hair-raising noises. Fascinating at the same time, but ultimately creepy.

Earth stands out so much! It sounds the sweetest out of all of them. I wonder, is that in part from all the life that is here? Not to get philosophical, but... it makes me think.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#6 | Back to Top05-15-2009 06:58:52 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Nanami's Rose Groom wrote:

Try to listen something called "The Sounds of Space" on Youtube. It's a clip consisting of radio waves sent from various Solar System objects, that were converted to the spectrum of hearing. Almost all are very cold, and disturbing, creepy noises, but the sound of Earth.... it's a really calm, beautiful, soothing hum, with kind of singing... I can't describe it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYFaEZV-aQ

This is the link to the clip. Tell me how do you like it...

"Music of the spheres" indeed emot-biggrin  These sound like something out of a Fatal Frame game, except for Earth, which sounds like something from Myst.  I wonder if they converted the radio waves to audio in the same way for each object, or whether Earth's very obvious difference from the others might be because whoever did the conversion chose to make it that way.

I'm nit-picking, but unless they're counting Ceres as a planet for some reason, they mean that Neptune is the eighth most distant planet from the sun.  (Except when it crosses the orbit of Pluto, when it -- actually, remains the eighth most distant planet from the sun, since poor Pluto doesn't count anymore.  emot-frown )

#7 | Back to Top05-15-2009 08:36:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

(Except when it crosses the orbit of Pluto, when it -- actually, remains the eighth most distant planet from the sun, since poor Pluto doesn't count anymore.  emot-frown )

emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Actually that whole thing sorely pissed me off because no one stopped to watch the news. Astronomy gets some press for the first time in years and what is it? A geekfight. The whole thing stank of geeks arguing model continuity in spaceship designs in Star Wars or whether saving throws are allowed for situations based on D&D 1st edition. emot-mad

#8 | Back to Top05-15-2009 09:24:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm not sure what exciting things happen in astronomy per se (as opposed to cosmology) these days.  It seems like the discoveries that can be made by observation from Earth have mostly been made, so while we wait for Voyager to hit the heliopause or New Horizons to make it to Pluto all we can do is argue about the semantics of the word "planet" and whether Quaoar is round or not.  It's not like we're going to discover that Earth has a heretofore unsuspected second moon, or that our existing moon is no moon but is in fact a space station.  Apart from looking for comets on a collision course with Earth, what can you do with a telescope anymore that's exciting and novel to someone who doesn't care that much about astronomy?

#9 | Back to Top05-15-2009 09:53:58 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

satyreyes wrote:

It's not like we're going to discover that Earth has a heretofore unsuspected second moon, or that our existing moon is no moon but is in fact a space station.

Dahak much, satyr?

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#10 | Back to Top05-15-2009 09:59:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

It's not like we're going to discover that Earth has a heretofore unsuspected second moon, or that our existing moon is no moon but is in fact a space station.

Dahak much, satyr?

It was supposed to be a silly Star Wars joke, but apparently I tapped into a broader tradition than I realized!  I'd never heard of the Dahak, and now I learn of a revolutionary book by Don Wilson entitled Our Mysterious Spaceship Moon.  (Warning: linked website contains the sentence "The fact that the Moon is hollow does not necessarily mean that it is a spaceship fashioned by Aliens.")

I think in Gurren Lagann the moon turned out to be a giant alien robot as well.  That would get people interested in astronomy.

#11 | Back to Top05-16-2009 09:18:49 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

(Except when it crosses the orbit of Pluto, when it -- actually, remains the eighth most distant planet from the sun, since poor Pluto doesn't count anymore.  emot-frown )

emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Actually that whole thing sorely pissed me off because no one stopped to watch the news. Astronomy gets some press for the first time in years and what is it? A geekfight. The whole thing stank of geeks arguing model continuity in spaceship designs in Star Wars or whether saving throws are allowed for situations based on D&D 1st edition. emot-mad

I really felt that way too. But that's kind of how the media works-- the most interest is shown when there's a fight or a disaster. Major discoveries come in 15-second spots in the "other news" category along with silly inventions people have come up with and dumb robbers who hurt themselves.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#12 | Back to Top05-16-2009 06:25:57 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Didn't they recently find the first earth-sized planet outside our solar system? I thought that was pretty exciting, even if it was too close to the star to support life.

20 threads dead so far.

#13 | Back to Top05-16-2009 08:13:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

Didn't they recently find the first earth-sized planet outside our solar system? I thought that was pretty exciting, even if it was too close to the star to support life.

Did they really?  I'll be damned, I thought the wobbles and eclipses that planets cause in stars are too small to detect from way out here unless the planets are a good fraction of the size of Jupiter.  Do you have an article?

#14 | Back to Top05-16-2009 08:43:18 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

satyreyes wrote:

But can someone explain why "the universe, statistically, looks the same in all directions?"  Seems like it should look denser if you look towards the Big Bang than away from it...

From your question, it seems that you imagine that at the time of the Big Bang all the matter in the universe was concentrated in a single point in otherwise empty space, and that it then exploded outward to fill up a larger and larger ball in the emptyness.

That's certainly an intuitive picture, but what the actual theory describes is something much weirder! It says that matter has always been homogeneously distributed in space, but the density of matter is getting lower (the average distance between galaxies is increasing).

Let's make an analogy. Theory says that the universe is either infinite or finite without boundary. In fact, evidence seems to point to the former, but the latter case is easier to visualize, so let's go with that. It being finite without boundary means that, if you were to travel in a straight line far enough, you would get back to the point you started. This is very much like the surface of a sphere (but with an extra dimension) -- or the surface of a balloon! So imagine a balloon surface on which someone has drawn lots of little dots (galaxies) with a pen. If you blow up the balloon, all the points gets farther away from each other, but there is no point of the surface which is at the center of the expansion. It is "space itself" (the surface the dots are located on) which is expanding.

Last edited by Pfft (05-16-2009 08:44:20 PM)

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#15 | Back to Top05-16-2009 09:01:18 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Don't most people make the "spots on a balloon" argument? I've heard that some use oatmeal raisin cookies to demonstrate the same principle.

...or was it muffins? Damn, now I'm hungry. emot-frown

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#16 | Back to Top05-16-2009 09:04:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Pfft wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

But can someone explain why "the universe, statistically, looks the same in all directions?"  Seems like it should look denser if you look towards the Big Bang than away from it...

From your question, it seems that you imagine that at the time of the Big Bang all the matter in the universe was concentrated in a single point in otherwise empty space, and that it then exploded outward to fill up a larger and larger ball in the emptyness.

That's certainly an intuitive picture, but what the actual theory describes is something much weirder! It says that matter has always been homogeneously distributed in space, but the density of matter is getting lower (the average distance between galaxies is increasing).

Yes, you describe how I imagine the Big Bang, but I don't see how that's inconsistent with matter being homogeneously distributed in space, with the density decreasing as space expands.

Let's make an analogy. Theory says that the universe is either infinite or finite without boundary. In fact, evidence seems to point to the former, but the latter case is easier to visualize, so let's go with that. It being finite without boundary means that, if you were to travel in a straight line far enough, you would get back to the point you started. This is very much like the surface of a sphere (but with an extra dimension) -- or the surface of a balloon! So imagine a balloon surface on which someone has drawn lots of little dots (galaxies) with a pen. If you blow up the balloon, all the points gets farther away from each other, but there is no point of the surface which is at the center of the expansion. It is "space itself" (the surface the dots are located on) which is expanding.

I'm not understanding the metaphor here.  The universe has boundaries, which I guess can be envisioned like a balloon, and as I understand it those boundaries are expanding at more or less the speed of light.  But the universe is not just that outermost boundary; it's all the space inside it.  It's a complete sphere, not just the surface.  So, because it's a sphere, the universe has a "center" -- it's the point farthest from any boundary, which is presumably pretty close to the spot the Big Bang once occupied.  If you blow up a building and then stand somewhere in the rubble, you'll see more debris if you look towards where the building used to be than if you look in the opposite direction.  I still don't understand why the same doesn't apply to universes.

#17 | Back to Top05-16-2009 10:40:30 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

In Pfft's analogy (OK, probably not, but I have no idea who thought of it first), the universe is in fact only the surface of the balloon. If I'm following correctly, the point is that in the Big Bang, the universe we know today didn't expand into something that was already there, everything was just tiny. Being so small, with everything so closely packed, made for properties that are very different from the ones that prevail today. Since the Big Bang, EVERYTHING has expanded gigantically. Not into otherwise empty space, because space has expanded too? Strange stuff. But that being the case, if the universe were infinite, there would have been no locality where the Big Bang happened. It happened everywhere.

Am I on the right track here? This doesn't seem to gibe with what Giovanna said. emot-confused

Last edited by Stormcrow (05-16-2009 10:41:01 PM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#18 | Back to Top05-16-2009 11:03:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

In Pfft's analogy (OK, probably not, but I have no idea who thought of it first), the universe is in fact only the surface of the balloon. If I'm following correctly, the point is that in the Big Bang, the universe we know today didn't expand into something that was already there, everything was just tiny. Being so small, with everything so closely packed, made for properties that are very different from the ones that prevail today. Since the Big Bang, EVERYTHING has expanded gigantically. Not into otherwise empty space, because space has expanded too? Strange stuff. But that being the case, if the universe were infinite, there would have been no locality where the Big Bang happened. It happened everywhere.

Am I on the right track here? This doesn't seem to gibe with what Giovanna said. emot-confused

I'm sorry to be so dense, but I'm still not following the "surface of the balloon" thing.  Whether the universe is expanding or just getting larger, it's a sphere.  Spheres have centers and you see more when you look towards them.  If you are standing on a big balloon you will clearly see more balloon by looking down than by looking up.

Last edited by satyreyes (05-16-2009 11:04:12 PM)

#19 | Back to Top05-16-2009 11:41:58 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

The point of the analogy (which I certainly did not invent! sorry if I conveyed that impression) is that the universe is *not* a sphere, but something weirder. It has no boundary, so there is no place where you can say "this is the edge of the universe" and turn around to look back at it.

If the universe is infinite this is perhaps natural (you just keep going and going and it never stops), but there are also finite "shapes" that has this property. Think (to use another analogy I did not invent) of the playing field in the computer game Astroids: the upper part of the screen is connected to the lower part of the screen, so as far as the little spaceship is concerned it can keep going up and up without ever hitting any area that looks special, although it returns to the same place periodically. If you fill the playing screen with astroids, the pilot of the space-ship will see them as equally dense in all directions, since his line-of-sight can cross the edge of the screen and wrap around.

The universe is of course three-dimensional instead of two-dimensional, but the same principle applies: if you keep going in one direction you will never reach any special area where it ends. Visualizing this is hard since it either involves infinity, or it involves strange geometries that can not be embedded into what we normally think of as 3d-space. But we can think of a two-dimensional analogy (the surface of a sphere), and say that the universe is something similar but 3d.

Last edited by Pfft (05-16-2009 11:43:39 PM)

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#20 | Back to Top05-16-2009 11:46:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Deleted because I posted in a bad mood and without thinking about it properly.  Sorry!  I'll try again later.

Last edited by satyreyes (05-16-2009 11:50:49 PM)

#21 | Back to Top05-18-2009 01:51:21 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

satyreyes wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

Did they really?  I'll be damned, I thought the wobbles and eclipses that planets cause in stars are too small to detect from way out here unless the planets are a good fraction of the size of Jupiter.  Do you have an article?

Here's the one I read on the Earth-sized planet. It's from Yahoo though so I'm not sure its amazingly indepth, but its a good summary I suppose.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_ … new_planet

20 threads dead so far.

#22 | Back to Top05-18-2009 02:21:29 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Sorry it took so long for me to post in this thread, I've been trying to get my notes together. Allow me to dumb the place down a bit for new-bloods like me, eh? hurr hurr hurr :B

Most is cross-posted from my LJ, because I am a lazy kind of gal. And yeah, most of this stuff y'all probably know.

*Planets also do not twinkle/twinkle significantly less than stars. Also because they are closer, and are not affected as much by the atmospheric turbulence. [One way to look for the "seeing" is to look across the horizon. If the stars along the horizon twinkle significantly more than the ones above your head, the seeing/turbulence is "good". If the ones above your head are also twinkling significantly, the seeing/turbulence is "bad".]

*All planets [and also the moon] follow an imaginary line called the ecliptic. "Since the earth is but one of the planets, and since all the planets orbit the sun in approximately the same plane, from our point of view the planets and sun must follow roughly the same line across the sky." [Peterson Field Guides: Stars and Planets, Jay M. Pasachoff, Pg. 10]

*An asterism is a part of a constellation.

*The zenith is the point directly over your head in the sky.

*The brightness of a star is measured in magnitudes. The smaller the number, the brighter the star. [Turns out that I was wrong all along, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky at a magnitude of -1.4, not Polaris. I always thought Polaris was the brightest... I am at a magnitude of 30, methinks.]

*The Big Dipper is close enough to the north celestial pole that it will never set, so it is a circumpolar asterism.

*The Hyades and the Pleiades are both open clusters [also called galactic clusters]; these are locations where 100 or more stars are close together in an irregularly shaped group. [THEY ARE NOT CALLED TRAPEZIUMS OK GAIZ? 8D~]

*Libra, before it was "The Scales", was known as the "claws" of Scorpio. Claws of justice, y/y? [fff whatever it made more sense in my head.]

*Some first magnitude stars include: Regulus, Arturus, Vega, Deneb, Cygnus, Altair, Spica, and Anteres. I have to measure the altitude of five of these before the last day of class. I need to get a full list so I have more stars to choose from.

Hnurk hnurk sorryyy~

ETA: Also, when I was in the Vertigo Dome, we took a look at Saturn [was it supposed to be mint-green?] and  the Sombrero Nebula. *shakes maracas* Well, everyone else could see the Sombrero Nebula. I was too short, so I couldn't see all the way around the eyepiece correctly. :<

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (05-18-2009 02:23:24 PM)

#23 | Back to Top05-19-2009 12:37:33 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Mint green Saturn? I suppose that either the seeing was very low,which affected the view, or a special filter was used (using a filter to block some wavelengths is a common technique in astrophotography e.g for showing some specific details on the surface of a planet, or making DS objects more visible). Well, my Saturn is usually yellowish-orange...

#24 | Back to Top05-19-2009 08:47:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Concerning the uniformity of space, my explanation and Pffts do not actually disagree, we're just explaining it a couple different ways. (I might clarify later, slipping this by at work.)

Habitable space is the surface of the balloon. It's a sphere in that it expands from the center of the Big Bang, but because the 'space' inside the balloon is not occupied with matter, it doesn't really count, although at earlier stages it was the habitable space, as the balloon inflated. A lot of different theories here, again pick one you like. One common idea is that habitable space, ie what we see when we're talking about 'uniformity in all directions' is decided by the right cooldown temp. Within the balloon's surface, it's cooled down too much, beyond it, nothing exists yet or it's too hot. If you think of the universe as a huge solar system, the balloon surface is the Goldilocks zone where matter can exist. It's uniform in all directions (where you'd assume stars less sparse if you face the center of the sphere) because our perception is just that small. Looks the same to us because our visible space is a small sphere within that balloon's surface--if you're an atom in that balloon, you're probably surrounded by other atoms the layer visible to you is uniform in all directions.

Now, if you wanna dick around with M theory and such, then because of the structure of space and fancypants shit I'd need to reread books to find the original explanation for, the universe is truly without a border, including the surface, inside and outside of the balloon. IE, you can travel from one 'end' of the universe 'through' the inside of the balloon to the other. Yep. emot-gonk

#25 | Back to Top05-19-2009 01:26:58 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

I knew that sth with the theory I tried to make is wrong, and now, thanks to Gio I realized it. It might sound confusing, but.... ah, who cares...

If we assume, that space is a sphere (let's play with the balloon model), then it must have started with being a point, before the Big Bang... theoretically. I'm thinking is there a way if we can tell, from whicj exact point, the matter started expanding? If we had the technology to see the oldest place of the "sphere of Universe" (let's say.. 20 billion light years from here), would it be a point so old, that any points around it would be younger? Or would it be like, that the spherical border of the Universe is 20 billion light years away from us, and it's visible everywhere we point our hypothetical telescope-thingy machine? If the latter would be truth, would that mean, that Universe started expanding from that border, and, like it filled the "emptiness" inside the borders, which started to expand then? Damn, taht's hard, but I feel I'm close to some important question and answer...

Board footer