This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-16-2014 01:43:53 PM

Roxane
New Student

Anthy and the women's condition : Short analysis

Hi there !
I'm new to this forum and I just watched the Utena anime (I haven't watched the movie or read the manga) and I really felt like sharing the ideas that came to me. I don't know if anybody already made this comparison and I apologize in advance if it is the case, but there it goes : the story of Anthy is the story of the condition of women.

ANALYSIS OF UTENA : Anthy epitomizes women's condition and Akio embodies the ambivalent role of men in the submission of women. At first Anthy and Akio were siblings caring for eachother, they were the original man and woman at a natural state. Then Anthy has been sacrificed by the world: it is the condition of women defined by pain that we have for instance in the Bible. Akio changed after that and he became both the prince who wants to save the woman but he is also her tyrrant and he is abusing her. The fact that he considers himself a prince makes him blind to the fact that he is actually the one hurting her (this is the condition of men being unaware of their role in the submition of women and the violence against women that they are perpetuating without even being aware of it). Anthy is in denial and does as she is bid by her brother/master(just like women have failed to rebel against opression and are in some case also perpetrating violence against other women, for example excision is done by women who have also been excised). Anthy needs the help of a selfless prince who turns out to be a princess ! This means that women have to save themselves and that men cannot save them since they are the opressor (fake prince). Utena embodies female solidarity: she doesn't fall into the trap of jalousy like the other characters do, she is generous and wants to save Anthy, that's her goal. Utena represents women's rights movements, feminists standing up and joining together to fight. In the end Utena never existed on her own, she was a part of Anthy, a part that never gave up even if Akio wanted her to be a princess and not a prince (that is to say a passive object and not an active subject). Also Utena disappears once that her goal has been obtained, it is the reunion of women through solidarity. Akio wanted to repress the rebellion in Utena but in vain. Utena represents change, change that is possible and dormant in every girl's heart, even the most hurt. And what about Dios? Dios is the ideal man who is motivating Utena: because there is no point saving women if men are lost to the system of violence. Dios represents the hope that men will also turn against the perversion of Akio (the male domination). Utena la fillette révolutionnaire is a beautiful feminist tale where women learn that friendship will free them and that there is still hope in some men who are also fighting against male domination (Dios against Akio). Only Utena (female solidarity) WITH the help of Dios (benevolent men) can bring the revolution, which is the END of violence against women.

I wrote this quite quickly and it sums up the feeling that I had watching the end of the last episode. Actually there are a lot of hints throughout the series that made me think of it but I would need to watch it again to give more details because I didn't take notes of them. So what do you think?

#2 | Back to Top02-16-2014 10:59:23 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Anthy and the women's condition : Short analysis

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you love Utena, you've come to the right place. I hope you'll find a lot of fruitful reading material here.

Your interpretation is certainly a valid one, and the ideas you've presented unquestionably mirror conclusions that many others have come to. You're on common ground with a lot of people. It would be hard not to find an empowering female message in Utena to those who seek such things. I certainly do so myself.

However - and I want to stress this is something that I did myself when I was younger in life - in my opinion, you are missing out on some of the complexity of Utena the character. For instance, your statement that she "doesn't fall into the trap of jealousy" is something I'm afraid I can't agree with. Late in the series, Akio succeeds in coming between Utena and Anthy because of the jealousy Utena feels. Of course, jealousy toward and about whom is the real question I invite you to ponder... Utena is not a saint and her motivations about "saving" Anthy are not purely altruistic, but also involve her own sense of self-importance. She is, in her own way, also pushing her own will onto Anthy, as Touga points out, I believe, during the climax of the first arc.

As to Utena's final fate at the end of the show...as I say, yours is a very valid interpretation. I couldn't and wouldn't ever say that it was wrong. But for me, it would be far too depressing to think of Utena as merely a construct of Anthy's subconscious, not to mention that it basically robs the character of her own independent role in the show. In the end this is simply a matter of what you want. I love Utena as a character and I want her to exist, so she does. She does not die or cease to exist at the end of the show, she merely departs from the closed world of Ohtori, and Anthy's certainty that they will be reunited is more than enough surety for me. After all, who would know better? (This is also supported by the creator's comments on the ending, but whether you choose to adhere to those is up to you. I am, I may say, mildly infamous around here for my convictions on that matter.)

So, although you may not have asked me for advice, I would give you two pieces of it nonetheless.

1. If and when you rewatch the series, as I have no doubt you certainly will do eventually, observe Utena the character hard, give thought to how her altruistic aspirations benefit her at the expense of others, and listen carefully when other characters comment on the topic.

2. See the movie as soon as possible. I won't attempt to influence you before you've seen it, but given the ideals you seem to hold dear, I believe you will find it greatly inspirational, if not actually transformative. Once you have formed your own firm impressions on it - which may take many viewings of it, as it is an intricate and thematically "dense" piece of work that seeks to present a huge amount of interlocking ideas in a short amount of time - I have some character analyses I'd be pleased to share with you.

Again, welcome. emot-keke

Last edited by Aelanie (02-16-2014 11:07:40 PM)

#3 | Back to Top02-23-2014 07:01:42 AM

Roxane
New Student

Hey Aelanie, thanks for the feedback emot-smile

Yeah this is just a general idea that I got while watching the last episode of the series, it's a bit messy and I cannot really tell if it was intentional from the authors to make a parallel with the women's condition or if I was just projecting my own interpretation on the series. It is indee a very rich anime and you can make a lot of interpretations from it. I should indee focuse more on Utena but what I felt about this character is that however she is very strong, she seems somehow not to have a real life on her own. Her family is deceased but we don't have any further information on her relatives, how she ended up in the school, what happened inbetween. And also she just disappeared at the end and nobody seem to remember her... I don't know but to me it was like she only existed through other people so I saw her as a projection from Anthy. Concerning jealousy, she is confronted to it but she keeps on questioning herself until she makes the sacrifice of herself so to me she didn't fall into the trap of jealousy, although she felt for Akio and her feelings were confused because of him. In the end she still confronts him whereas the other characters are all driven by their egoistic goals (although we can argue that the ideals of Utena are egoistic in a way since she really wants to free Anthy against her will).
Anyway thanks for the answer emot-smile

#4 | Back to Top03-15-2014 01:21:48 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I think the main problem in Utena's motivation is that she tried to create her own personality based on relationship with Anthy (she wants to be a prince, not a hero). Actually, she kind of told it in the episode 10 and 11 that she wants to take her identity back.
I think in SKU women's (and men's) conditions seem complementary instead of autonomous. They feel safe when they make a team of two co-dependent people. They don't know how to feel safe without this rituals of bonding. People define themselves inside the most powerful relationships they experience, even Akio needs Anthy. They all use each other just like Utena used Anthy - to make their dreams come true through a certain type of connection with others. A women's condition is very polarized - they control and they are controlled, so they are never freely chosen. They define the men - let me remind you that Akio is a chairman because of his relationship with Kanae.

#5 | Back to Top03-22-2014 11:54:15 PM

waifu
Wakaba Wrangler

I don't see the benevolent male cooperation thing at all, since in the end Utena rejects the prince and finally succeeds at liberating Anthy.

Board footer