This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-03-2012 03:36:18 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Election 2012: Four More Years?

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

MO will probably go for Romney, but I'm voting anyway.  It's my word on the matter no matter who hears it.

Your vote cancels out my mom's vote, and my vote cancels out my asshole sister's vote. emot-biggrin

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#27 | Back to Top11-03-2012 04:41:31 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Does the "vote-canceling" apply in non-swing states? I would think that anyone that doesn't vote Republican in Texas or Democratic in New York, etc etc., are pretty much going to be swallowed up by the opposing party, no?

#28 | Back to Top11-03-2012 04:48:52 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm not sure, but many have made that point that voting isn't just about trying to get your candidate to win, but it helps whichever candidate who does get elected know the ideologies of their constituency, basically, how many republicans or democrats are in an area, who cares about what, etc.  It helps give you some visibility.

#29 | Back to Top11-03-2012 04:49:15 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

It's just something I say to make myself feel better about living in this hellhole.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#30 | Back to Top11-03-2012 05:18:31 PM

Stephen
Rose Bride

There's also an element of accountability also. When the candidate is put in power and screws up, you can go around going "Well, I voted for the other guy, not this asshole" and generally rub it in people's faces, instead of being like "Well ... I kinda just let you guys vote it out on my behalf, oops". Satisfying, but doesn't get you invited to many dinner parties, I'll admit. I'm pretty sure that is the primary motivation for much of the UK voting.

#31 | Back to Top11-03-2012 05:49:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I'm not sure, but many have made that point that voting isn't just about trying to get your candidate to win, but it helps whichever candidate who does get elected know the ideologies of their constituency, basically, how many republicans or democrats are in an area, who cares about what, etc.  It helps give you some visibility.

This is true, but to me the more compelling argument is this one.  Missouri is not on anyone's list of swing states, because the forecasted vote in Missouri is about 54-45 Romney, and historically a nine-percentage-point advantage is insurmountable this late in an election cycle.  But thirty percent of voting-age Missourians did not vote at all in 2008, a year of historically high turnout both nationwide and in Missouri.  This year it will probably be more than thirty percent.  Thirty percent is a lot more than nine percent.  If you and Nova and every Obama supporter in Missouri would just go to the polls, you would steamroll Romney in Missouri.  Is everyone actually going to go vote?  No, they're not, and so Missouri will go for Romney.  But by voting, you make sure that you're not part of the problem (Obama voters staying home), but part of the solution (turnout)!

My two cents.

#32 | Back to Top11-05-2012 11:07:05 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Hey guys!

I haven't been here in a long time, but the election reminded me of that old (huge, epic, and amazing) clusterfuck to the white house thread Satyr ran back during the Obama/McCain election so I decided to come check in. Don't know who's still around that remembers me, but hi to you if you do. Hope you're all doing well.

I'm excited for the election, although not so much for my part in it. DC (where I'm at) is electorally insignificant. And even if it wasn't, it's so overwhelmingly democratic that my vote has a 0% chance of being relevant in anything more than a broad philosophical way. But still, I love following this and am looking forward to having the TV constantly on tomorrow.

I'm not a huge fan of either candidate really... but Obama wins my endorsement. I think the health coverage issues he's been pushing are incredibly important. I guess I'm a bit biased, I have preexisting conditions and stuff (although they developed after I already got insurance so I'm ok... but I'd be completely ruined had that not been the case). I just think getting people basic health coverage is a necessity, and I"m not at all opposed to having a strong state when it comes to providing useful services. How you finance it all is a tough question, and I don't really think there's an easy answer. But I think the need to have something like that in place is so great it should be financed regardless, and the "this way or that way" can be sorted out later.

I'm probably a bit closer to the democratic line on some many other issues as well.

Anyways, glad to see that this site is still going strong and, again, best wishes to you all.

#33 | Back to Top11-05-2012 11:43:36 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

It's okay to be somewhat biased and self-interested in your voting.  Part of wanting a candidate has to be how you feel they will serve the country, but another part is how they impact and serve you.

#34 | Back to Top11-05-2012 12:40:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Valeli wrote:

I haven't been here in a long time, but the election reminded me of that old (huge, epic, and amazing) clusterfuck to the white house thread Satyr ran back during the Obama/McCain election so I decided to come check in. Don't know who's still around that remembers me, but hi to you if you do. Hope you're all doing well.

And I hope you're doing well too! emot-smile  The clusterfuck thread was amazing, and I might have done something like it again if I had felt as fascinated by the election as I did in 2008.  This time the election isn't as historic and the contrast between the candidates isn't as sharp.  I think mostly this is because all anyone wants to talk about is the economy but no one has any specific ideas about how to fix it.  It's also partly because Obama is now the candidate in power, and it's turned out that he's absorbed a lot of the policies that he got elected by opposing, so there's less daylight between him and the Republicans.

Nevertheless, I'm likely to have a reply window open here more or less constantly tomorrow night.  emot-biggrin

#35 | Back to Top11-05-2012 01:28:39 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Obama, with all his failings and problems, is still a far sight better than a man that will do everything in his power to make the lives of everyone not like him (straight, white & rich) terrible.

Do I want to vote for either? Not really. But I am, because I cannot in good conscience, in an election that is going to be this close, vote for a third party person. I want to, and probably will from here on out. I just can't this year.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#36 | Back to Top11-05-2012 01:55:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aine Silveria wrote:

Do I want to vote for either? Not really. But I am, because I cannot in good conscience, in an election that is going to be this close, vote for a third party person.

That's a decision I respect, and it's obviously the best decision if your goal is to advance your policy preferences over the next four years, which is the normal goal to have in an election.  Nonetheless, I ended up voting for Rocky Anderson.  I know that from a policy standpoint, this is tantamount to not voting at all.  But I did what I always do: I picked the ticket that I thought would represent me best.  My feeling is that if everyone voted this way, we'd quickly get more accountable politicians and better policy -- but it's hard to ask others to join me in this doomed and quixotic venture, the same way it's hard to persuade a Democrat in a Republican state that eir vote matters because eir state wouldn't be Republican if all the Democrats would vote.  I am, of course, rooting for Obama; I just wish he were someone else.

#37 | Back to Top11-05-2012 04:09:02 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Right. I get your stance, and it's what, finally, I want to do myself. And I will next presidential election (and probably even the minors in between), because I find it hard to believe that we're not going to end up with a Republican anyway. I don't think that even if all of us who are willing to go through the piles of misinformation things will change that much, because you will always have so many people who are closed-minded, either because of bigotry or because change is hard.

(Also, it's hard to figure out who matches with my own political ideologies when I barely even know what it is that really matters politically to me anyway.)

#38 | Back to Top11-05-2012 08:01:20 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I actually only favor Stein and Rocky a smidgen over Obama, and the difference is over things I don't understand enough to have a strong opinion on, and I feel like a Democrat will have an easier time pushing things through Congress than a third party candidate, and there's a track record and some established trust with Obama (as Sat said, maybe the Independents are as free spoken and courageous as they are only because there is no real expectation of winning and thus nothing to lose) so I'm giving him my vote.  I feel that my thought process, at least, combined my desire to vote for someone who matched my ideals while making concessions for the practical outcome of a two party system.

#39 | Back to Top11-05-2012 10:24:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Something Hiraku said to me over private message reminded me that there is a historic component to this election -- it just doesn't happen to be the presidential race.  Maryland, Maine, and Washington State are all voting on whether to approve laws allowing same-sex couples to marry.  Additionally, Minnesota is voting on a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.  As opponents of marriage equality are fond of pointing out, no ballot referendum has ever ended well for same-sex marriage advocates, but that might change this year.  Polling in all four of these states shows a tight result, and all are just liberal enough that they might be ready to hand marriage opponents their first defeat at the ballot box.  Or, with luck, their first four defeats.

To those of you who happen to live in one of those states, do you have any sense of how those races are going?

#40 | Back to Top11-06-2012 07:07:04 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Voted! Thank goodness for daylight savings now that my body is geared to wake up at 7 instead of 8 as usual.

So, definitely voted for Obama. As for Maryland's Question 6, not really sure how that one is going, but the person before me, who was being interviewed by a journalist, said that he's also voting for Question 6. There's also a lady outside passing out brochures to encourage people to vote for Question 6, so hopefully, a good number of people will vote for equality in marriage.

#41 | Back to Top11-06-2012 10:56:04 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Two hours in line! Is that normal?

But the voting is done. I haz sticker yey.

#42 | Back to Top11-06-2012 11:41:01 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Normal is relative emot-smile  In Florida, people waited for quite a bit longer than that during early voting -- a combination of reduced early voting days and a ballot that goes on forever thanks to a bunch of stupid and bizarre amendments.  I don't know what wait times are like here today.  There are horror stories coming in from all over the country -- not just about wait times, but about voter suppression, potential fraud... it happens every Election Day, though, and it's impossible to evaluate until after the fact.

#43 | Back to Top11-06-2012 11:47:39 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Mine was relatively painless, which surprised me. I had to go on my lunch break, but thankfully my polling place was less than a mile away.

I say relatively -I forgot my sample ballot that I got in the mail, where I had marked up some of my choices for local stuff -Sheriff, Water Conservation Council, a couple other positions and referendums local to the county, so I had to think a lot harder than I had intended to. But! NO line.

Talking with the very nice ladies, they said that they'd had lines all morning, but that it had quieted down in the last hour. They were expecting there to be a rush from about 4 onwards, though.

I'll probably check here for updates through out the evening (satyr's roundups are way more comprehensive, informative and easily understandable than anything else I've read), but other than that, I won't be watching returns.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#44 | Back to Top11-06-2012 12:17:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I love living in the middle of nowhere. I was in and out in about 5-10 minutes.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#45 | Back to Top11-06-2012 12:24:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'll be away until about 6:00 my time; the polls start closing at 7.  Meanwhile, here is a video to keep you company (and make you tear out your hair).  Appears to be an isolated incident.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/ … votes.html

#46 | Back to Top11-06-2012 02:37:09 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

No wait whatsoever, but very little to vote on, and the descriptions were pretty vague.  Hoping I made the right decision on some -I wish I had done my homework better.  Derp also half the voting wasn't voting, there was only one candidate XD.

#47 | Back to Top11-06-2012 02:58:49 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

To those of you who happen to live in one of those states, do you have any sense of how those races are going?

DC's not Maryland, and I haven't been following it that closely, but I'm under the impression that the proposal is generally going well in MD. I know the University of MD is having a bunch of support for it at various events, and sending people out to polling sites.

The gay marriage thing is certainly making progress in general, if slowly at times. I'm sure it will eventually work out because, really, there's few people who're /really/ opposed to it imo. A lot of people don't want marriage defined in that way, sure, but fundamentally what marriage means to someone is going to come down to how it's defined in their church/religious organization of choice, and not how it's looked at by the government. The government debate is really much more about just giving people equal rights (mostly.... there's still something to be said for just being given equal standing by the government, but that's not a tangible benefit, and you can already find churches that will look on a gay marriage as a legitimate one).

So people opposed to it are mainly opposed to redefining the concept of marriage (which doesn't have to change for them anyways, as long as they stay in a church that doesn't recognize it), rather than opposed to giving people equal rights. That's my take anyways... I know a lot of people who don't want marriage redefined, but don't know a single person who has a die-hard stance on making sure gay people end up paying more in taxes or having unnecesary legal difficulties.

Don't know if I'm expressing myself very well.

#48 | Back to Top11-06-2012 04:05:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Valeli wrote:

DC's not Maryland, and I haven't been following it that closely, but I'm under the impression that the proposal is generally going well in MD. I know the University of MD is having a bunch of support for it at various events, and sending people out to polling sites.

The gay marriage thing is certainly making progress in general, if slowly at times. I'm sure it will eventually work out because, really, there's few people who're /really/ opposed to it imo. A lot of people don't want marriage defined in that way, sure, but fundamentally what marriage means to someone is going to come down to how it's defined in their church/religious organization of choice, and not how it's looked at by the government. The government debate is really much more about just giving people equal rights (mostly.... there's still something to be said for just being given equal standing by the government, but that's not a tangible benefit, and you can already find churches that will look on a gay marriage as a legitimate one).

So people opposed to it are mainly opposed to redefining the concept of marriage (which doesn't have to change for them anyways, as long as they stay in a church that doesn't recognize it), rather than opposed to giving people equal rights. That's my take anyways... I know a lot of people who don't want marriage redefined, but don't know a single person who has a die-hard stance on making sure gay people end up paying more in taxes or having unnecesary legal difficulties.

Don't know if I'm expressing myself very well.

I know many, personally, here in MO.  They are opposed to both the personal redefinition of marriage and the idea of the government allowing any form of gay marriage.  They see it all as a slippery slope, and interpret it all as a part of a larger agenda by democrats and homosexuals to force homosexuality on der childruns.   Then you have those that claim to be supportive of homosexual rights/non-homophobic, but think deep down that homosexuals are just whining and that the right to marry is a stupid thing to fight for.

EDIT:  Also, are we going to be treated to one of Sat's round-up/coverage of the election?  Because I don't know if I can handle being on tumblr during.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-06-2012 04:08:41 PM)

#49 | Back to Top11-06-2012 04:08:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We are less than one hour away from the first poll closings at 7:00 EST.  The interesting ones are Virginia, where we should see exit polling quickly after the polls close, and peninsular Florida, where we won't see exit polling until the polls close in the panhandle at eight.  I'll be around and posting the whole time.

We might be in for a long night.  Obama has gained ground recently in the national polls and many swing state polls -- InTrade now has him at 70% to win, FiveThirtyEight at 91%.  These numbers may sound big, but even FiveThirtyEight's optimistic prediction calls this only a three-point race, with Obama winning 51-48.  Most polls and predictions have the race even tighter.  With the margins that tight, national news outlets will resist calling the critical states for either candidate until much of the vote is counted.

I may periodically post about where the vote stands in one state or another.  Remember that the vote is not counted at the same speed everywhere in a state, or even everywhere in a county.  Rural areas often (but not always) report faster than urban areas; certain neighborhoods may count their vote anomalously quickly.  In other words, just because you see a candidate leading 55-45 in Virginia an hour after the polls close does not mean they'll still be ahead an hour after that.  This may be especially true in Ohio, where heavily Democratic Cuyahoga County has a well-earned reputation for counting votes very slowly.

Here we go!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2012 04:09:56 PM)

#50 | Back to Top11-06-2012 04:21:15 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I wasn't freaked out by this whole thing until just now. 'cause polls will be closing soon, and once that happens, all this *waves hands in an attempt to articulate cleanly and fails*, this stuff, it's set. And done, and that's when it gets weird and scary for me, especially with reports of voting machines fucking up the votes in Romney's favor.

Aaaaaugh. emot-gonk

Board footer