This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-04-2011 04:52:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The god damn gallery fixup thread god dammit

So instead of scratching the itch I have to build a PD site, I am working on making the gallery fit on the now limited resources of the website. For those who don't know, a new feature is being implemented on my host called CloudLinux. It forces each account to keep to the resources allotted to it, instead of a large account like mine taking up processing power other accounts are paying for. It turns out EM is a total hog, and has been for years, and since no one told me so, I didn't think it was an issue. Now it is. The primary problem is in the gallery, which consumes a monstrous amount of RAM to pump out the thumbnails and process requests. Therefore, I have to find a way to make Gallery play nice in these new constraints. The forum appears to be unaffected, since it doesn't consume much in resources, despite being an enormous 200MB database.

This thread is for status updates and suggestions if you have any. Mostly it's how I'll bitch about it. The current plan is to:

1. Remove the keywords from the albums I did that for. I think I only did that for the first season or so. This requires me deleting the album and reupping it. Hopefully this will remove some of the database bulk.
2. Kill the search feature. It never got implemented and no one seems to need it anyhow!
3. Consider the possibility of a solution being distributing the content among two or more installs of Gallery.

Currently the movie screencaps are down, as well as the hentai section that was limited to forum members. The movie caps were the largest single bulk of images. Little by little I'm going to try and figure out how small the gallery has to be to work at 100%, and then plan secondary installs. If Gallery always consumed this much in resources, no one would install it, so I'm guessing it's the sheer size of this install--10k+ images is a lot. The actual image size appears not to be important here--Gallery chokes on having to deal with several images at once. A single 3MB file doesn't bother it.

So like...yes I know the movie caps are down. Also the screencaps for the first season are going to be up and down for the next few days. If anything else starts happening, let me know! Keep in mind I'm shitting all over the resources here, so if the gallery, or even the forum, burp for a few minutes, that's me doing things. Just wait it out. And sorry for the inconvenience.

I've had to deal with this kind of crap for years. Hosting companies never designed themselves around people like me. They figure anyone building a site this large is a business that can afford the big stuff. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top11-05-2011 04:13:03 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Re: The god damn gallery fixup thread god dammit

Woah, I never even knew we had a search function or hentai gallery. emot-aaa

But anyway, good luck with all that. etc-love Try not to work yourself too hard.

#3 | Back to Top11-05-2011 09:08:57 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Deeply Old-School suggestion: You could always have written descriptions of the images instead of thumbnails (along with NSFW labels and other significant warnings). I know, I know, it's a hideous solution, and not nearly as sleek, but I'd rather work through an ugly menu than have to cut any images from the collections emot-gonk. I discovered this place only after your gallery troubles began, so I haven't had a chance to see everything yet emot-frown.

I'm not very tech savvy. You said thumbnails were consuming RAM, so that's all I've got. Hopefully, better technical people will be able to offer some more knowledgeable suggestions emot-dance.

#4 | Back to Top11-05-2011 01:54:11 PM

Zabel Z
Ohtori Paramouri

Giovanna wrote

Currently the movie screencaps are down, as well as the hentai section that was limited to forum members. The movie caps were the largest single bulk of images. Little by little I'm going to [...]

WAS THERE A HENTAI GALLERY??? 

Sorry, I couldn't hold myself. emot-frown

Damm kids, get out of my lawn!!!

#5 | Back to Top11-05-2011 04:15:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

There was. emot-smile The login was posted in IFD because I wanted it restricted to forum members. It'll go back up once this is all cleared. emot-smile

Actually it was a doujinshi gallery. It just happens that most of the doujin was hentai. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer