This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#251 | Back to Top02-24-2013 06:27:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Riri-kins wrote:

My sixty-five year old dad has suffered from dizziness, especially when leaning forward, increased hunger the last two and a half months, daytime drowsiness,  and trouble sleeping at night.  Can you help us?

Forward leaning dizziness, trouble sleeping, and drowsiness all sound like sleep apnea caused by congestion. Does he have a stuffy nose during the day?

Increased hunger can be lots of things, but the first I'd want to rule out is diabetes. Does he have it? Is he also thirsty a lot?

Has his blood pressure been evaluated lately? Unfortunately at 65, diagnosing these kinds of problems gets complicated, and there's more risk in doing so. I would suggest he visit a doc and get a workup. Sleep apnea, potential diabetes, and potential hypertension are hugely dangerous if they're uncontrolled, and totally manageable if they are. It may be none of those things, but it's definitely something worth investigating.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#252 | Back to Top02-27-2013 06:40:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Hi Gio. Where online would you suggest for reserching meds that is trust worthy?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#253 | Back to Top02-27-2013 09:58:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

http://reference.medscape.com/

Although I have some reservations at times, WebMD (and RXList) are also generally acceptable and scaled down to the average user a bit better. But they're also partially funded by drug companies, from what I understand. Which doesn't stoke me.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#254 | Back to Top02-28-2013 11:06:29 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Giovanna wrote:

Forward leaning dizziness, trouble sleeping, and drowsiness all sound like sleep apnea caused by congestion. Does he have a stuffy nose during the day?

Increased hunger can be lots of things, but the first I'd want to rule out is diabetes. Does he have it? Is he also thirsty a lot?

Has his blood pressure been evaluated lately? Unfortunately at 65, diagnosing these kinds of problems gets complicated, and there's more risk in doing so. I would suggest he visit a doc and get a workup. Sleep apnea, potential diabetes, and potential hypertension are hugely dangerous if they're uncontrolled, and totally manageable if they are. It may be none of those things, but it's definitely something worth investigating.

His nose isn't stuffy. No, but our doctor once told us he was borderline diabetic. I hope that's not what it is since he's ripe for getting it. That would explain his glaucoma, wouldn't it?  He's no thirstier than usual.

His blood pressure was 140/80 last March during his yearly physical. He says thanks and he's going to schedule another here soon.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#255 | Back to Top03-04-2013 07:27:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Thanks for the med help. Time to find out about my ADD pill posibilites.

emot-gonk I went out drinking and did a bit of dancing on saturday, all sunday and monday my knees & lower thighs have been killing me, if I have to bend them (Fuck Stairs). I have been takeing 650mg Tylenols (3 pills 3 times a day); for the last 2 days and they don't really seem to do much for the pain. Any suggstions on how I stop the pain, I want to get on the elliptical and do my workout.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#256 | Back to Top03-07-2013 07:40:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

To be honest there's not a whole lot you can do with over-stressed muscle sore. Ibuprofen, in my experience, works better than Tylenol. The best thing is stretching the muscles. Every four hours or so, give them a good yank, and don't be too idle. Sore muscles respond best to small amounts of constant use.

#257 | Back to Top03-11-2013 03:37:48 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I keep getting canker sores emot-mad Is there anything I can do to actually make them heal quicker? just so much ouch all the time emot-frown I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that anemia can make you prone to them, which would make sense for why they keep coming back, but should I get it checked out?

#258 | Back to Top03-12-2013 10:26:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

To be honest, not really. emot-frown We haven't really banged out what causes canker sores or how to get rid of them best, but there seems to be a hormonal component. A lot of women get them around their period. I must be colonized with a bacteria that likes to cause them because virtually any time I bite my lip I get one.

For the most part, tedious use of Listerine and salt water washings seem to be the best treatment plan, aside from Canker Covers, with are outrageously expensive and take up half your mouth. They're almost as inconvenient as the sore and a thousand times more expensive, but they will resolve them in a day or so, which is nice if you're on vacation or something.

#259 | Back to Top03-13-2013 02:30:21 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

This isn't asking for advice on injuries or anything, but I figured this was the best possible source. Is there a reason why a facility that needs your medical information cannot talk to the hospital that has it, even with full permission of the person in question?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#260 | Back to Top03-14-2013 07:41:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ordinarily they can, it's done quite frequently in the US, because hey, that's how the shit has to work. That said, the US health care system isn't a unified consistent entity but rather a vast array of small and corporate level businesses. Which means some will treat your private health information as a product they possess and they don't like to hand it out--for free. Including to you. I've had to pay for copies of my lab results to show the college I went to that I didn't have hepatitis or something. Unfortunately as far as I know most states don't have any legislation making this illegal, and the fact that there's legislation that makes your private information SUPER SECRET AND NOT TO BE SHOWN TO ANYONE EVER allows some facilities to hold onto it even tighter. emot-mad

Unfortunately the only ways around this are the 1. check the policies of every facility to use for these things, and if you're stuck, 2. get copies of the records yourself and give them to the other facility. A facility CANNOT refuse to give you test results and such, they can only charge you if they're assholes. You can say all you want that it's okay to share the information between the two facilities, but neither will want the legal responsibility of obtaining the information or releasing it--they want that to be on you. That said some things are almost impossible to obtain. For example I've never heard of a place giving anyone copies of nurses notes. The best that can happen there is you might be able to read them under supervision. There are reasons for this, but most involve legal protection of staff.

#261 | Back to Top03-15-2013 11:03:42 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

That's... a lot of suck right there. The idea that something like that is somewhat commonplace makes me want to go raving into the sunset about corporate greed and such things. Bluh. Getting the records for ourselves is the best idea, but when we checked it was stupidly expensive.

Thanks for the insider voice, Giovanna. I don't really like it (it being the US medical system), but I appreciate the help

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#262 | Back to Top04-18-2013 12:30:25 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Gah, this kind of blows, but I've got to ask. I've developed a kind of ulcer on the inside of my top lip flap thing. Not sure how, or why (probably stress, I don't know) but it hurts like hell. It's affecting my job, that requires a lot of speaking, which irritates it further and causes more pain.

How fix, (Hello) Nurse? emot-confused

#263 | Back to Top04-18-2013 05:45:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

A canker sore?  Red bump with white or yellow center?  I got one after a particularly unfun visit the to dentist.  They have lots of causes (injuring the tissue from braces or dental work or using those Wisp things, drinking too many acidic beverages, genetic predisposition, stress, menstrual cycle, etc), hurt like a mofo, and go away on their own.  You can take pain meds and put some milk of magnesia on it with a cotton swab for pain, and also gargle warm, salty water. 

Dey look liek dis:

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/canker … -the-mouth

But that is webMD so you may want to send Gio a pic or ask your doctor.

#264 | Back to Top04-25-2013 04:18:52 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Hi Nurse Spadaro! I'm not sure if this is really a nurse question rather than one for a pharmacologist, or perhaps md. I've done some (very) cursory searching on it, and not found an answer yet. I certainly don't expect you to do any looking into this in place of me, but in case you do know out of hand....

I'm curious what the mechanism of Depakote Extended Release (Na Divalproic Acid? Divalproex? ... sodium hydrogen bis(2-propylpentanoate) more specifically I guess, although I'm not sure if this is the ER version or not... and my o. chem is bad enough I can't visualize that anymore) is relating to epilepsy. Is the sodium simply in there to make it take longer to dissolve (hence extended), or is the sodium in there because it's playing a role in the sodium/calcium/chlorine/etc concentrations that are involved in transmitting nerve impulses? Or something else entirely?

I understand that it's used to treat some autism symptoms as well as depression/bipolar/manic disorder in some people too. And have been curious what the relationship is between that and epilepsy (if any? to the extent the same drug impacts all, at least in some cases?) for some time. I guess I'm interested in that because I feel in the past I could probably have self-diagnosed myself with one of those other things too (being aware that self-diagnosing is an awful, misguided, terrible idea). So I've been wondering if there's any link between epilepsy and any of those on the basis that the same drug impacts symptoms of both. But I haven't asked my neurologist for whatever reason, and it's a trivial enough issue I'm not about to spend a few hundred dollars scheduling an unnecessary appointment with him just for that right now.

But yeah, if you happened to know either how this stuff works, or how epilepsy is/isn't related to those other disorders, that would be really cool. Not sure why I'm asking now since this has been kicking around in my head for awhile, but hey. Weird questions kick around my head when I haven't slept in too long, I think. But if you know that'd be awesome. And if not, no worries. Seriously - don't spend time looking into it just on my behalf.

Last edited by Valeli (04-25-2013 04:26:26 PM)

#265 | Back to Top04-27-2013 10:33:11 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I would have to research this specifically but sodium shows up in the long name of many drugs. It's not sodium in the sense of bioavailable NaCl, and unless this is an exception, it has nothing to do with the activity of the drug insofar as needing salt available as part of the action of the medication. I believe a lot of medications are packaged as salts because of the mechanism of absorption/transmission from one body system, namely the GI tract, to another. The attachment of a sodium based chain may also make the drug more stable in production, etc. (It's a preservative even when it's not sodium in the table salt sense.)

But the amount of 'salt' in the medication is negligible and has no bearing on its action in the brain. The electrolyte content of the cerebrospinal fluid is very carefully managed by the body, you could eat salt pellets for lunch and probably not change the content of the CSF without some underlying pathology unrelated to eating salt pellets.

#266 | Back to Top04-29-2013 10:41:27 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I know I'm not a doctor, but I do remember hearing that the main theory for why drugs that treat epilepsy can also treat bipolar disorder is because they think that they have a similar origin and effect the same areas in the brain. Some people have been known to be misdiagnosed with one disease when they actually have the other, because they can sometimes present with outwardly similar symptoms. When I was a kid, the first thing I was suspected of having was some form of epilepsy, because I would have horrible dissociating panic attacks, generally turning into a destructive hurricane with no sense of awareness of anything around me for a couple of hours. When the other 90% of the time you're a well behaved shy and sensitive kid, it's pretty jarring, and my parents were convinced these fits were my only problem. But it got ruled out quickly and my symptoms started to manifest in different ways. I also knew somebody who was the flipside, temporal lobe epilepsy, that was mistaken for something on the bipolar spectrum early on. Epilepsy and bipolar actually have the same theory of deterioration over time, it's called the kindling theory. Anything at this point is all theory, but it is pretty established that there is some type of correlation between epilepsy and bipolar. What that is, nobody is entirely sure of emot-tongue

#267 | Back to Top05-05-2013 11:22:56 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Nurse Spadaro, we're worried about my dad once again. He's had what he describes as flashbulbs of light going off in his head since he was seventeen and this latest time he was so surprised by it he spilled his drink. He's gone to several doctors over the years but they can find nothing wrong.  It's not a seizure, is it?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#268 | Back to Top05-08-2013 07:31:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Seizures don't usually manifest only as visual symptoms. Too specific a function (or dysfunction) of the brain for that. They're also very difficult to diagnose--seizures are really only ever diagnosed based on presentation, since you need to see the brain in dysaction, so to speak, to know that's the problem. If he's had an MRI and/or CT of the head and they've come up clear, there's probably nothing dangerous going on up there if he's had it all his life with no change in presentation or other symptoms.

I would have his eyes checked, though, in case there's something going on there. Eyes, frankly, are way more fragile than brains.

#269 | Back to Top05-09-2013 12:57:33 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I'm not a doctor either. And I'm not as credentialed as Gio yet.

From my personal experience though....

My seizures have been grand mal. Everyone (or at least many people) seem to have different "auras" before they seize. Mine is sort of an enormous sense of fatigue, that I don't really realize was there until after the fact. I also have no memory of my seizure or the immediate moments before/after it. That varies by person too. I think I recall having read about lights being an aura for some people... but like gio said, eye stuff is probably more common.  I wouldn't totally freak out over seizures either. I mean, it's serious. But in lots of cases it can be very well controlled (like mine - It was serious enough to break both my shoulders/labrums, but I haven't had any in years now that I'm on the right set up of medicine for it).

So, just chiming in. I certainly don't know what the problem is or is not, but I hope stuff works out as best it can for you all.

#270 | Back to Top05-14-2013 07:26:02 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Bon soir, Nurse Spadaro.

I woke up today covered in blood.

My nose apparently thought it was a good idea to just gush out a torrent sanguine goop onto me in my sleep.

It continued for a few hours and then clotted a bit. I haven't done anything strenuous since Saturday, and haven't been scratching at it. I'm thinking maybe a vessel rupture? I dunno.

Thoughts, (Hello!) Nurse?

Last edited by TheOnlyFlorence (05-14-2013 08:21:59 PM)

#271 | Back to Top05-14-2013 09:38:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Absolutely possible! Things that could have made it worse: nose sprays for congestion, especially prescriptions. Dry weather.

Give it another couple days but then work toward business as usual. If it happens again, go to a doctor. It'll probably be nothing, but could need to be burned off.

#272 | Back to Top05-15-2013 08:36:46 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Giovanna wrote:

Absolutely possible! Things that could have made it worse: nose sprays for congestion, especially prescriptions. Dry weather.

Give it another couple days but then work toward business as usual. If it happens again, go to a doctor. It'll probably be nothing, but could need to be burned off.

So far, it hasn't returned. Haven't been on nose sprays in years, so I'm thinking weather would be it, yeah?

Burned off? What... what is that? emot-gonk

#273 | Back to Top05-15-2013 12:28:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I think she was kidding. emot-wink

#274 | Back to Top05-15-2013 01:09:26 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

satyreyes wrote:

I think she was kidding. emot-wink

It could be slang for cauterization.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#275 | Back to Top05-30-2013 04:21:53 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

This has been long overdue, but I think it's time to unveil it.

Nurse, you've listened to all of us and our sometimes hypochondriacal flimflam. With a brash grace, you eased our woes and worries. Without you, we would have scheduled appointments and wasted valuable doctor time. We'd also have given comedic material to the nurses who had to check us in.

That said, this is my tribute to you and your work. This one's for you, Nurse Spadaro.

To any wanting, here's the instrumental I made for this, should you care to sing it in your own way.

The lyrics are here provided (spoiler tags because listen to it!):

Nurse Spadaro, I've got a case of the menses,
But what doesn't make sense is, I'm a male, there's no doubt.

Nurse Spadaro, I need your guidance real quick,
I stepped on a toothpick, but now I can't get it out.
Oh, it's broken.
Tried pulling it out via tweezin'
But it just left me wheezin' here.
I just wanna shout.

Your medical advice we now employ,
When you are mentally stable,
For we wish not to be a public embarrassment.   V

Your vernacular we all enjoy,
And we don't wanna give you no label,
But you're one of the best that we can get.

Nurse Spadaro, my sis pulled a sword out from my chest,
Is this event a test, or is it metaphorically sound?

Nurse Spadaro, there's a lingering pain in my spine,
Feels like blades are piercing mine, and it's dark all around.
And my asshole, oh my asshole, well, it burns more than Hades,
Oh please now, pretty lady, help soothe my Brown Town.

Nurse, your wisdom is on a higher plain.
Your spit can clean nearly any blood stain, V
Your sneeze similar to a healing spray.  ^
We humbly ask that you now grant
An I O U for a kindness that we can't
Repay. ------------

Nurse Spadaro, my colon continues to burble,
My poop is so purple, I think I might faint.
You may be grossed out, but without ya, we're a just goner.
Let's all praise Giovanna, I R G's patron saint.

Now, Yasha and Satyr, that's not to say we don't love you, but when your cough can cure the Clap, gimme a call. emot-biggrin

Board footer