This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-03-2014 10:15:28 PM

Kiseki
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Share Ideas! The SKU cast turning into cars

Okay so you know how in the Adolescence of Utena movie Utena, Shiori, Wakaba, and Kozue (I think) turn into cars..

That's good and all, but what sort of vehicles do you think the rest of the characters would turn into? What sort of mental hurdle would each character have to overcome to be able to transform? Do they have any unique customizations such as car seat covers, bumper stickers, interesting paint jobs, tires, rims, LED lights, etc?

Feel free to share photos of cars and car accessories you think would fit a character. Or maybe if you're the crafty type you can share a design sketch of a vehicle that's more unique than an existing car! (Take Utena's car, for example.)

I'm kinda short on ideas right now and am also not very familiar with automobiles, but I bet you folks of IRG can come up with cool ideas. emot-smile

http://r14.imgfast.net/users/1412/22/06/04/smiles/2930773878.gifDo you suppose happiness is something close to us, after all?

#2 | Back to Top09-03-2014 10:39:16 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Re: Share Ideas! The SKU cast turning into cars

I've always thought it would be neat if Anthy became a train. It's a vehicle that goes around on a set path over and over again unable to change its direction without the help of something external. In addition it acts a stealth pun since Anthy is the Rose Bride and a wedding dress has a 'train' at the end. It would make for an awesome scene where Anthy detaches all the compartments and runs off the track, symbolizing her abandoning her role as the Rose Bride.

I definitely see Juri as a Limousine. It has all that wealth and status associated with it; often calling attention to itself. Maybe it could have those flags that indicate political status, such as dignitary or a prince. Her car scene could be her losing those flags, or rather escaping the role of the 'prince' that Shiori has trapped her in.

Ruka, if he had been in the movie, would totally need to be a hearse. It has attributes similar to a limousine, it's traditionally used for funerals (Or at the least the model I'm thinking of is), and still fits in with the idea that Shiori is so lonely she can only be with the dead.

EDIT:
Oh man, my mind went to a funny place and then got dark... Touga could work as a van. I'm thinking more in terms of anime!Touga than movie!Touga. So you have the stereotypical sex van with the mattress in the back. And then you also have the stereotype of child molesters trying to lure children into their van. Both have significance to Touga considering how he was raped by his adoptive father and how he is a regular Casanova. Although granted, it doesn't seem like the classiest of cars... Touga is very suave and high-class. But I don't think a sports car fits him because he aspires to be like Akio; but is still not considered to be at his level.

Last edited by Jacrad (09-03-2014 11:29:41 PM)

#3 | Back to Top09-04-2014 04:16:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Jacrad wrote:

Oh man, my mind went to a funny place and then got dark... Touga could work as a van. I'm thinking more in terms of anime!Touga than movie!Touga. So you have the stereotypical sex van with the mattress in the back. And then you also have the stereotype of child molesters trying to lure children into their van. Both have significance to Touga considering how he was raped by his adoptive father and how he is a regular Casanova. Although granted, it doesn't seem like the classiest of cars... Touga is very suave and high-class. But I don't think a sports car fits him because he aspires to be like Akio; but is still not considered to be at his level.

This is much deeper than what I was going to say.  I was going to say that Touga would refuse to go into the car wash and would go looking for a private jet wash.

Speaking of aircraft, a black helicopter sounds right for Mikage, and of course C-ko can change into a UFO.

And Saionji would be a rickshaw.

#4 | Back to Top09-04-2014 04:43:03 PM

Kiseki
Website

satyreyes wrote:

And Saionji would be a rickshaw.

Akio would be the passenger and Touga would be the one pulling Saionji rickshaw. emot-tongue
I'm thinking of one of those really old rickshaws... not the modern auto ones. Maybe a bicycle rickshaw could work? Which is funnier... Touga pulling the cart by bike or on foot? emot-biggrin

Nanami would be one of those milk trucks. Boy, I sure am creative. emot-rolleyes
http://classiccarweekly.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/1949-divco-model-49n.jpg

There's no reasoning behind it, but for some reason I like the idea of anime Miki as a Smart Car. All small and non-threatening... and uh, smart. Movie Miki is... different, however. He has more drive. (No pun intended.) Not sure what sort of car would fit him.
http://thenewswheel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013_Smart_Pure_Coupe_01-300x231.jpg

Last edited by Kiseki (09-04-2014 05:57:08 PM)

http://r14.imgfast.net/users/1412/22/06/04/smiles/2930773878.gifDo you suppose happiness is something close to us, after all?

#5 | Back to Top09-05-2014 08:57:10 AM

Mangorabbit
Touga Topper

I like Miki being a smart car! Maybe Movie Miki would be this car once he got over his "cowardness" http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/0 … cient.html. ( a very nice parallel to not being tested even if it is efficient and would be very progressive as a very smart Miki is and his need to stop worrying. Or I just want to get the word out on it.)

I think Saionji, if he is not a traditional car of some sort, would be a motorcycle or dirt bike. He has been shown outside camping and has his violent tendencies, so a vehicle that can handle offroading and if not used with control can harm you with gruesome results would be appropriate. Also, Toga would be his driver in my mind and we know he can drive them.

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

#6 | Back to Top09-13-2014 08:58:26 PM

Kiseki
Website

I... I thought of something today.

Touga and Saionji combining into a single motorcycle and Akio riding it. emot-wink

...(At this point I don't even have anything remotely thoughtful to say about characters turning into vehicles and am just thinking of nonsense that entertains me. OTL)

#7 | Back to Top09-13-2014 10:57:03 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Oh! Mangorabbit sparked an idea in me.
So Saionji's personality is described as traditional. But really it's not. It's archaic.
I think Saionji would be really interesting as a chariot. Specifically a gladiator chariot.
It incorporates his violent tendencies and is archaic rather than simply traditional. Another subtle, incredibly subtle, aspect is that the chariot is the basis for a lot of modern vehicles; namely the choice of spacing on train tracks. This could tie in with his thirst for something eternal, bringing reincarnation into the mix in a way.

My mind has again traveled to a dark place. Ruka would make some sense as a kamikaze attack plane. They were used with a very specific mission that the pilots knew involved giving up their own lives for the sake of a greater good. Or so they thought at least.

Now I kind of wonder what Tsuwabuki would be as a vehicle. I see some potential in a bicycle, possibly starting with training-wheels and then losing them. If I were going to direct some sort of 'car scene' for Tsuwabuki I would have Vehicle!Tsuwabuki be a bike but that he sees himself as a motorcycle. The end of his conflict as a vehicle would be signified by the sounding of an engine. 'Do you feel the throb of the engine?' Basically it would mean that to understand adulthood he has to lose a form of innocence and, by extension, freedom. This would be symbolized partially in the need for money to pay for gas for a motorcycle , something a bicycle doesn't need. Another level to this is that while a bicycle does not require you to pay money for gasoline it has a smaller scope than a motorcycle does, kind of like childhood.

#8 | Back to Top09-22-2014 09:16:33 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

satyreyes wrote:

Speaking of aircraft, a black helicopter sounds right for Mikage, and of course C-ko can change into a UFO.

I love this idea, especially if it's a stealth heli, the very high tech kind that looks very pretty but is literally deadly and yet very quiet. I wonder if there should be some sort of vehicle example to show the relation between Nemuro/Mikage? Regardless of what kind of vehicle Nemuro might be, he would probably be a protoype.

Board footer