This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-19-2007 12:10:53 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Place your bets!

Okay. We all know that Utena is the "best" duelist in the series, aka the one that the power of Dios chooses. She wins the most, and is the one that gets to the duel of Revolution.

However, excluding her,  (and Akio, since he's the main boss) which other duelist would you bet on? Based on sheer skill, who seems the closest to have beaten Utena, or perhaps whoever has the "purest" intentions and is more likely to have the power of Dios favour them? Or which one would Anthy favour? What is your logic behind your choice? (Unless you just like them best. emot-keke )

There's Touga, Juri, Nanami, Saionji, Miki, and Ruka (because he doesn't fit in the next category) for the regular duelists, and Mikage, Kanae, Keiko, Shiori, Tsuwabuki, Wakaba, and Kozue for the black-rose duelists. I'm not exactly sure how to analyze the black rose duelists' power in comparison to the other duelists, but they do use the same swords (except Mikage and Kanae) as the regular duelists, and are shown using the same moves as them. So I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

As another topic, who would you especially like to see dueling who? emot-dance

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (05-19-2007 12:22:29 PM)

#2 | Back to Top05-19-2007 01:24:31 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: Place your bets!

My bet is on Juri.

First of all, she's the Captain of the Fencing club, and everyone recognizes her as the best on it. Actually, she's introduced to us as an extraordinary swordswoman; only Ruka can beat her, and that's why she identificates him on ep. 28.

Moving on, everybody remembers than on the duel belonging to Akio Arc, Utena doesn't destroy the orange rose, but the locket. So, if Juri hadn't pulled the rose off, the duel might have continued and, as Dios had already appeared once, Juri might have won.

The way Juri highlights on nearly every scene she is (remember the shirt and collar in Touga's party?) is another reason to bet for her. She may be consumed by Shiori, but she stands up. Now it comes to my mind the episode in which somebody (a professor maybe?) begs her assistance to some kind of event; that gesture expresses the respect and importance she has achieved in Ohtori's.

I think the power of Dios is more likely to favour someone moved by love, and not personal interest. I am aware that this condition involves a lot of the characters in the Seitokai and the Black Rose duelists. But I think that between them, Juri is objectively the best with her sword. As for Tsuchiya Ruka, we know far too little facts about him, his reasons to fight, his return to Ohtori and admission on the Seitokai, as long as why nobody remembers him, to bet for him or theorize on Dios awarding him with his favour. The plot just don't last enough.

Argh... it's my first time at essaying on a topic like that... be kind! Any suggestions?

On your last question, I would just love to see a Juri-Shiori duel. I think scriptwriters would had killed me from happiness etc-love
And, to be honest, I must say again that Juri is my favourite character (I think is obvious!)

Last edited by Asfalolh (05-19-2007 01:25:09 PM)

#3 | Back to Top05-19-2007 01:41:58 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

As an ultimate fan of Nanami, I'd love to see her fighting once more with her two blades. And it would really please me to no end if she had a duel with Miki. He is very skilled, but as Juri said, his attacks are very gentle and calm. Nanami's swiftness and passion, versus Miki's precision and calm. I'm soooo curious, who would have won the duel...

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#4 | Back to Top05-19-2007 02:13:28 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

If the Black Rose duelists count, then what I wonder is whether the Black Rose duelists have a better chance again Utena than the regular duelists do.

Mikage: "But they've already lost their duels. The weak-hearted fools."

Mamiya: "There are few people who are able to freely use their own hearts. This is especially true of young people. It would be better to entrust the swords of their hearts to others. That may result in the creation of strong duelists."

#5 | Back to Top05-19-2007 02:33:44 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Razara wrote:

If the Black Rose duelists count, then what I wonder is whether the Black Rose duelists have a better chance again Utena than the regular duelists do.

Mamiya: "There are few people who are able to freely use their own hearts. This is especially true of young people. It would be better to entrust the swords of their hearts to others. That may result in the creation of strong duelists."

That's a good point. I didn't remember these words, what episode do they belong?
In my opinion, if the Black Rose duelist are strong hearted, that's because something is pulling them to duel. They are not free at all, nor they are pure. That would be a bad predisposition on getting Dios favour.

#6 | Back to Top05-19-2007 03:04:27 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

That quote is from episode fifteen: The World Seen From Kozue.

If it's only judging by who can gain the favor of Dios, then I don't think that any of them could win. If any of the Student Council members were good enough to be favored by Dios, he would have appeared before them already. Juri's intentions are somewhat pure. If she were fighting solely for love, then I think she would have a chance.

However, in her actual duel, what she is fighting for isn't the power of miracles/love, she's fighting to disprove it. She is able to ward of the Power of Dios, and Utena's miracle that she was relying on, but it is also that which defeats her.

Really Late Edit: On second thought, Ruka would probably win. His motives seem to have moved Dios more than any other duelist. The first time we see him look very clear is during his duel.

Last edited by Razara (05-19-2007 03:55:01 PM)

#7 | Back to Top05-19-2007 04:08:17 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Razara wrote:

This is another reason why I favor Juri as the best fighter.  Several people on this thread have stated the opinion that Juri isn't really that into her fencing, and is only going through the motions.  She is going through the motions, but why?  When Ruka asks her that very question, all she says is "I hit a wall."  He doesn't pursue the matter, and the line seems like a throw-away, but in this show, nothing is that simple.  What wall did she hit, exactly?  Shiori.  That's what's holding Juri back and preventing her from showing her true power as a fighter.  In all of the duels except Akio's, Juri is the only one who comes close to defeating Utena on ability.  In fact, Utena is unable to defeat Juri, the first match is decided my a miracle, or an accident, as the case may be, but definitely not by swordsmanship (swordswomanship?), where Juri is clearly superior.  The second duel is closer, the locket was a very close hit, but Juri's emotional load was also heavier that time, and it's possible that Utena had improved.

Everyone claims that Ruka is better...except Ruka himself, who sees hidden potential in her.  Granted he's got his own narrative, he's also a fencing master, and might be expected to have good judgement on such matters.  I don't think Ruka was wrong.  I think that this is one more reason why he was so desperate to "free" Juri.  Certainly he was in love with her, but he wanted to see her true potential as a fencer as well.  After all, the first thing he does when he gets back is to challenge her to a pass without revealing his identity first.

After Juri, I'd go with Ruka, Miki, Touga, Saionji, Nanami.  Miki also doesn't seem to need tricks to feel confident, which is why I rank him above Touga.  The rest is kind of obvious.

EDIT: And I'd definitely like to see Juri duel Touga, just to see her school-eng101 him. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Stormcrow (05-19-2007 04:10:25 PM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top05-19-2007 05:59:58 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Stormcrow wrote:

After Juri, I'd go with Ruka, Miki, Touga, Saionji, Nanami.  Miki also doesn't seem to need tricks to feel confident, which is why I rank him above Touga.  The rest is kind of obvious.

EDIT: And I'd definitely like to see Juri duel Touga, just to see her school-eng101 him. emot-biggrin

Mine would be Juri, Miki, Touga, Saionji, Nanami. I left Ruka off due to my theory that he's done all this before and only came back to help Juri.

I suppose the Black Rose Duelists would go in the same order...Shiori, Kozue, Keiko, Wakaba, Tsuwabuki. But I don't feel like that under those circumstances that anything they fight for would merit summoning Dios.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top05-19-2007 06:39:46 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Heh, Touga gets underranked again. I rate him a bit higher because in the show they state that Saionji is all kinds of awesome at the kendo tournaments, and Touga is at the very least a fair match for him. By no means are any of them bad at the swordfighting, but I see Saionji as being the better fighter than Miki. Touga is right near Saionji in skill, and we're given the impression that Touga can beat him a good chunk of the time, but we're not really shown how or whether it's through manipulation. Whether he's actually slightly better, slightly worse, or just a match is basically going to depend on your opinion of him.

It's because of that tournament reference that I think Saionji is a match for Miki in technical skills. The series scripts say that it's a local tournament, which doesn't sound terribly impressive, but as angelicreation pointed out, they're talking local Tokyo area, where the population guarantees that the competition would be very stiff. Basically, if Miki is Olympic level, I see Saionji as being at that level as well. The reason Saionji and Miki aren't tied is because Saionji is more aggressive than Miki, which is generally going to make a better fighter.

And a short note on Ruka and Juri: Ruka outclasses Juri because Juri stopped trying ('hit a wall'). At least that's how I see it.

So my list goes more like Ruka, Juri, Saionji, Touga, Miki, Nanami, or if I'm feeling generous, swap Touga and Saionji's positions. Nanami is definitely last, though.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:00:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Heh, Touga gets underranked again.

Aww, baby, that's just because I haven't posted here yet!

Honestly, I think Touga would beat Juri for the same reason he beats Utena, regardless of any difference in technical skill. (Which, for the reasons Yasha states, I don't expect there really to be.) She's dangerous because she's focused, but she's not as cool-headed as she thinks she is. Saionji, while I think probably a 50-50 match in the kendo hall, would get his ass handed to him in the arena every time. Touga's spent years using Saionji's temper to his advantage, and Saionji doesn't have the same control over it that he has in the kendo hall.

You know...the analytical advantage Touga has in the duel arena would be easily in Saionji's hands with Touga himself if Saionji really thought about it. school-freud

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:06:31 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I didn't mean that Ruka would win because of his skill, but only if it were a contest of his Dios would like the most. Juri far greater skill than Ruka, and he said so himself.

#12 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:11:56 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

It's probably not about skill. The best duellist was best at shaking Utena's faith in herself. Touga comes in way ahead because he didn't just shake it, he destroyed it. He lost later through miscalculation but he alone broke Utena's spirit.

Somewhere behind is Wakaba because she shook Utena's black and white world-view. Saoinji also because he briefly almost convinced Utena that he had a more powerful vision and made her sword vanish.

Somewhere behind him Mikage because he too shook Utena's beliefs as did Akio.

Juri and Ruka? They never had a chance even though they likely would have beaten her in a normal arena. Against Utena's idealism they were as pre-destined to failure as Nanami.

#13 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:21:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

brian wrote:

It's probably not about skill. The best duellist was best at shaking Utena's faith in herself.

This is true. It would have been true, I think, regardless of the victor at the time. It's really splitting hairs to debate who the best fighter is, when we're repeatedly told how awesome the various duelists are at their style of choice. (Except Nanami, who was damn good for that she doesn't seem to be officially practicing.) The advantage goes to the one who attacks the soul, not the sword. I don't recall where, but it's said outright that the winner of the duel will have the strongest spirit or something to that effect, not that they would be the best fighter. Touga is the only one that attacks Utena psychologically. Mikage does, but I don't think it was quite deliberate, or at least that it was part of an attempt to win. Saionji and Wakaba both shake her, but not because it's part of their strategy or because they're remotely aware it should be. Which in Saionji's case, is pretty interesting, given he seems otherwise to know better than to think it's about skill. Then again, Saionji might emphasize skill out of his own poor self-esteem, he wouldn't think he had a chance at all if the victor won by strength of anything but skillful fury.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#14 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:22:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh, I'm considering it as if it was a normal arena and not the Arena arena. If it was The Arena, and we're seeing who Dios would come down first for, I think it would go more like Ruka, Miki, Juri, Saionji and Nanami tied, Touga. Basically ranked in order of my estimation of their selfishness and cruelty. Any attempt to explain it is going to turn into an essay, though, and I can't write essays at work.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#15 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:24:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Haha, yeah make it about Dios and Touga goes right to the back of the line. emot-biggrin

#16 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:25:29 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I suspected Juri would get rated very high. emot-keke

I'm a little surprised Miki has been rated so high, though. He's shown to be a skilled fighter, but personally, in most situations I think he's far too gentle and not as motivated. He usually has to be manipulated in order to find a reason to duel. And then in duels, he's easily distracted and emotionally affected.

But it also depends on if we're talking about skill level, or intentions and favour of Anthy/the power of Dios..

Skill-wise, I'd rate Juri or Ruka as first. People have already explained how close Juri has came to winning. Her motives are also a little more pure, but I don't think any of their motives, not even Utena's, can be completely pure. Although, Ruka's intentions (to free Juri) would be pretty pure, too. Unless his intentions were actually different and he wanted to live longer or have Juri love him.. However, with his duel with Utena, I don't think he was even trying. It seemed like he was just doing the duel to have Shiori be his rose bride so he could (literally) crash her dreams.

Skill-wise again, I'd rate Touga would be next. He and Saionji seem close in skill level, but I think he has manipulation and a clearer head on his side. After that, Saionji, then Miki, then Nanami..

And I'm not sure if the black-rose duelists would be stronger or weaker than the real duelists. emot-confused Weaker, I'd guess. They're intentions aren't pure, and they're using someone else's power, not their own.

I've love to see the normal duelists vs. the black rose duelists duels, but don't the black rose duelists have to draw the normal duelists' swords? emot-aaa

When it comes to the power of Dios.. I think it's less about pure intentions, actually, and who Anthy really prefers and feels more drawn to, whether she consciously uses the power to choose or not. Then again, I don't think any of the other duelists have been summoned by the power of Dios, so maybe it really is special... so if it's duels just between the other duelists, I guess her favour isn't really an issue then?

#17 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:25:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Haha, yeah make it about Dios and Touga goes right to the back of the line. emot-biggrin

Touga's totally on the short bus when it comes to things like 'selflessness' and 'being nice'.

#18 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:29:53 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Razra wrote:

Juri far greater skill than Ruka, and he said so himself.

Ruka says Juri has the potential to be better than he is. They duel twice and he beats her both times. It's not until after her trip to (or with) the Ends of the World that Juri's technique is supposedly refined. However the only change between her original duel and her second duel is that her locket is hit.

Honestly Ruka seems like a pretty good bet in a Utena-free tournament. He shows skill superior to anyone else in the arena, has experience at least on par with the other top contenders and he's more of a manipulator than a manipulatee. Further, his goal in the series to free Juri is possibly the closest to seflessness that anyone other than Utena approaches. Not to mention the black rose duellists have obvious psychological advantages over their seitokai counterparts, (aside from Touga and possible Saionji, but especially Juri) while Ruka does not have a natural foil.

As for the Power of Dios, it seems to me this requires Anthy's favour more than anything else. I don't know if anyone excluding Utena could get on her good side, but I know a lot of people aren't on it.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#19 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:35:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I've love to see the normal duelists vs. the black rose duelists duels, but don't the black rose duelists have to draw the normal duelists' swords? emot-aaa

Kanae vs....Akio? Anthy? Her mom? Either way, she loses.
Kozue vs Miki - Miki might have skill but he's timid, and Kozue brings it out in him.
Shiori vs Juri - This one's hard for me to call, it depends entirely on whether Juri gets a hold of herself at some point.
Tsuwabuki vs Nanami - They're about an even match, except Nanami has a slight experience advantage and can probably belittle him into submission.
Wakaba vs Saionji - We've seen what confusion does to Saionji in the arena. Wakaba showing up would throw him for a loop that would lead to stuttering, staring, and losing. If he knows he's fighting her beforehand, though, he'll win.
Keiko vs Touga - Touga unzips pants, wins. If, for some reason, he actually fights at all, he'll still win.

...where does Mikage's sword come from, now that I think of it?

Yasha wrote:

Touga's totally on the short bus when it comes to things like 'selflessness' and 'being nice'.

And Akio's the bus driver. emot-biggrin

Edit: VVVV You're just saying that because I mentioned Touga undressing being a good way to win him a duel. emot-tongue

Last edited by Giovanna (05-19-2007 07:37:48 PM)

#20 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:36:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

^ ^ ^ ^ And it would work, wouldn't it? Which means you're being honest :p emot-dance

Gio speaks nothing but Dios's honest truth. emot-biggrin

#21 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:40:45 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Kanae vs....Akio? Anthy? Her mom? Either way, she loses.
Kozue vs Miki - Miki might have skill but he's timid, and Kozue brings it out in him.
Shiori vs Juri - This one's hard for me to call, it depends entirely on whether Juri gets a hold of herself at some point.
Tsuwabuki vs Nanami - They're about an even match, except Nanami has a slight experience advantage and can probably belittle him into submission.
Wakaba vs Saionji - We've seen what confusion does to Saionji in the arena. Wakaba showing up would throw him for a loop that would lead to stuttering, staring, and losing. If he knows he's fighting her beforehand, though, he'll win.
Keiko vs Touga - Touga unzips pants, wins. If, for some reason, he actually fights at all, he'll still win.

...where does Mikage's sword come from, now that I think of it?

Yasha wrote:

And Akio's the bus driver. emot-biggrin

Edit: VVVV You're just saying that because I mentioned Touga undressing being a good way to win him a duel. emot-tongue

Why are certain names bolded? O:

Miki and Kozue - your description for their duel sounds almost erotic. Good job. emot-aaa
Shiori and Juri - .. personally, I think Shiori would pwn Juri just because it's Shiori, Juri's ultimate weakness. Unless it was after the Ruka episodes, of course, then Juri might win.
Keiko and Touga - .. yep, pretty much. etc-love

#22 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:44:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

They're the ones who would win.

#23 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:46:14 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Yasha wrote:

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

They're the ones who would win.

..wow, I'm ditzy. I was confused because neither Shiori or Juri was bolded too, but she said she wasn't sure about that one, so yeah. emot-gonk

#24 | Back to Top05-19-2007 07:49:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

^ ^ ^ ^ And it would work, wouldn't it?

You would be a terrible duelist.

...still...makes one wonder how the Revolution duel would have gone had Touga been the one to fight it.

etc-wankgirl

AHEM. You make a good point, SDF. Post Ruka Juri would beat Shiori. But before that...

#25 | Back to Top05-19-2007 08:14:10 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

I have one reason why I would pic Juri; all the "rouge" duelists fight exactly the same way as she does.

Honestly watch Mikage, Ruka, and Chigusa in motion (you would need to seen Chigusa stuff via AMVs mostly) and they do at least the "I laugh as I barely dodge your swing at my nose" thing.Well Ruka and Chigusa at least. In production sketches in the gallery there's comparison sketches of Mikage preping to lunge exactly like Juri. Ok sure it probably more cheap production than anything and all three seem to be fencers but so is Miki. Note that there's a clear difference in his *poke poke* technique and his fellow national competing captian.

PS Yes I know proper term for Miki's poking is thrusting and more affective with the type of sword he's using. It was just more amusing and besides I know how the people here think.

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

Board footer