This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:13:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[SKU Text Adventure???] Miracles Never Cease

Have you ever wanted to wander the corridors of Ohtori Academy, shoot the breeze with the cast, and just maybe have a ridiculous adventure along the way?  Well, you could mess with the Sega Saturn emulator... or you could play Miracles Never Cease, the crackfic text adventure I just finished coding for your personal enjoyment!  emot-biggrin

> ask satyreyes about text adventures

Text adventures are very old-school computer games from before we had any fancy graphics to actually show what was going on.  Classics in the genre, like Zork and Colossal Cave Adventure, usually dropped you in a vast underground dungeon to explore, find treasure, and hopefully avoid getting eaten by the native fauna.  Modern text adventures can take a lot of forms.  In Miracles Never Cease, for example, you have a very special school campus to play with instead of a dungeon!

> ask about Miracles Never Cease

Miracles Never Cease is a text adventure set at Ohtori Academy.  Think of it as an interactive crackfic.  You'll be piloting an original character who transfers to Ohtori Academy for reasons involving your designs on one Arisugawa Juri.  In the process of bringing those designs to fruition, you'll solve puzzles and chat with (and sometimes chat up) characters from Akio to Shiori.  It might be fun!

> ask about warnings

Warnings?  Who said anything about warnings?  emot-tongue  There are two things you should know.  First of all, in spite of Ohtori Academy's famous motif, just about no one comes out of this adventure smelling like roses.  It's all in good fun, but if you can't stand to see your favorite character get a little dirty -- or a little exaggerated -- you might want to stay away from this one.  Second, this is my first attempt at a large text adventure, and there are going to be bugs.  I've been pretty thorough in making sure that nothing you can do will break the game, but you might have a completely reasonable alternate solution to a puzzle that I didn't foresee.  Text adventures are like that.  Happily, you can always post to this thread if you need some help or a hint, and there's a hint feature encoded into the game as well!  Oh, there's also some mature content, but if you've watched Utena, you can probably deal with that.

> ask about how to play

A text adventure is like an mp3.  To play an mp3, you need both the mp3 file and a program that plays it, like iTunes.  Similarly, to play a text adventure, you need both the text adventure file (linked below) and a program that plays it.  This program is Windows Frotz -- an easy-to-install program you can download straight from this link.  (If you don't use Windows, ports to other platforms are available here.)  Once Frotz is installed, just double-click Miracles Never Cease and it'll load up!  Once you read the introduction, you can type ABOUT to see a how-to-play tutorial.

> download Miracles Never Cease

Unzip using WinRAR and enjoy yourself!  emot-biggrin  Use this thread for feedback, to ask for help, to share interesting discoveries or bugs, or to ask questions in general.  It takes a long time to write a text adventure -- certainly 100+ hours -- and while MNC is more of an experiment that turned into a game than a wonderful example of interactive storytelling, I'm still proud of it.  emot-smile  Thanks to G+Y for hosting it, my bro for playtesting it, and you for giving it a shot!

Last edited by satyreyes (10-08-2013 09:30:32 PM)

#2 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:27:20 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: [SKU Text Adventure???] Miracles Never Cease

Just downloaded the files, I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for sharing dude! emot-keke

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top08-22-2010 01:10:40 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

How many grues does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

...this is awesome. I'm flat on my back because the damn thing is killing me, so having this to play is a wonderful distraction. Though I'm sure it would have been just as wonderful without the backache. school-devil Off to play now!

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top08-22-2010 01:28:03 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Today will be the day you seduce Arisugawa Juri.

FUCK YEAH! First screen and I'm already excited. I love text games. (Just got back into Achaea last thursday.) I'm really tired, but I'm going to start playing this now, anyway. emot-dance

Edit: OH MY GOD, IT'S SHIORI!!! emot-aaaetc-love

Last edited by Razara (08-22-2010 01:30:49 AM)

#5 | Back to Top08-22-2010 01:46:31 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

satyreyes, YOU ARE BRILLIANT. etc-love I love these! I used to read choose your own adventure books that were sort of like this.. still trying to get the hang of all the commands, but its a lot of fun! It's so nifty to get to pretend to be a student at Ohtori, even a Mary-sueish one. emot-dance

Edit: Crazy guidance counselor got onto me for walking around campus in pajamas ( emot-rofl ) but I can't figure out how to change into the uniform in the dorm room. I tried CHANGE INTO UNIFORM, but it didn't recognize that. What's the command for changing clothing so I can go out in public? emot-rofl

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. Can we hit on Shiori, too? emot-biggrin

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (08-22-2010 01:52:52 AM)

#6 | Back to Top08-22-2010 02:19:47 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

emot-aaa Fascinating!

But you know what? Your next goal should be creating a text adventure with the IRG cast. Man, I would pay for it.

Edit: How come the game doesn't recognise "LICK SHIORI" emot-mad (ahhh man, this is so addicting)

Last edited by Epi_lepsia (08-22-2010 02:47:14 AM)

#7 | Back to Top08-22-2010 03:05:05 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

...okay, that self-help book in the library had me in stitches. My back hurts even more now. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#8 | Back to Top08-22-2010 05:34:04 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

Awww you're the best, Satyr! I love text adventures and have since I was a little Calammy, so the mixing of text adventures and Utena makes me incredibly happy.

I hope I can find an excuse to try:

>Get Rose Bride

school-devil

Thank you again for this. etc-love

ETA: I've only played as far as turning on the room's computer and I have to say this is absolutely hilarious! emot-rofl

Last edited by Calamity (08-22-2010 05:42:35 AM)

#9 | Back to Top08-22-2010 06:08:16 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Cool, dl now. Thanks for sharing!

#10 | Back to Top08-22-2010 06:11:45 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

crystalwren wrote:

Cool, dl now. Thanks for sharing!

Okay. Admittedly my first command was a little predicable. etc-wankgirl I'm off to find Juri to see if she'll lend me a hand.

#11 | Back to Top08-22-2010 10:45:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

satyreyes, YOU ARE BRILLIANT. etc-love I love these! I used to read choose your own adventure books that were sort of like this.. still trying to get the hang of all the commands, but its a lot of fun! It's so nifty to get to pretend to be a student at Ohtori, even a Mary-sueish one. emot-dance

I'm so glad people are enjoying themselves!  emot-dance

Edit: Crazy guidance counselor got onto me for walking around campus in pajamas ( emot-rofl ) but I can't figure out how to change into the uniform in the dorm room. I tried CHANGE INTO UNIFORM, but it didn't recognize that. What's the command for changing clothing so I can go out in public? emot-rofl

CHANGE INTO UNIFORM should work, as long as your character can see the uniform.  For instance, it won't work if the uniform is in your closed closet.  emot-smile

Can we hit on Shiori, too? emot-biggrin

Go try and find out!  emot-tongue

crystalwren wrote:

Okay. Admittedly my first command was a little predicable. etc-wankgirl I'm off to find Juri to see if she'll lend me a hand.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to discover that.  emot-biggrin  I guess in this crowd I should have known it wouldn't take long!

#12 | Back to Top08-22-2010 11:24:03 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

A man dressed as Sailor Mars struts around the quad as though proudly surveying his own handy work.

Ikuhara dressed as Sailor Mars...! emot-roflemot-roflemot-rofl

#13 | Back to Top08-22-2010 11:28:41 AM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Wow, thank you so much!  I love it! etc-loveetc-love

#14 | Back to Top08-22-2010 11:33:31 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I love the Haruhi joke too! I've never really played this type of game before - but I hope to get the hang of it

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#15 | Back to Top08-22-2010 11:56:59 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm having trouble finding the gloves. Even with my awesome pickup lines, Anthy still won't give me hers. emot-frown

#16 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:18:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Razara wrote:

I'm having trouble finding the gloves. Even with my awesome pickup lines, Anthy still won't give me hers. emot-frown

Anthy is immune to pickup lines. emot-tongue  Have you tried the hint system?  In the vast world that is Ohtori Academy, you might discover that more than one kind of person wears gloves!

Anji wrote:

I love the Haruhi joke too! I've never really played this type of game before - but I hope to get the hang of it

I hope so too!  You can always ask for help if you're having trouble emot-smile

#17 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:37:12 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Is there really a pamphlet of pickup lines somewhere in game?  I've been trying to hookup with everyone I've talked to so far.  xD

#18 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:50:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

winksniper wrote:

Is there really a pamphlet of pickup lines somewhere in game?  I've been trying to hookup with everyone I've talked to so far.  xD

There is!  And you should get it as soon as possible, because walking around trying to seduce people is fun emot-tongue  Try to pick up Juri, and then type HINT to get a clue!

#19 | Back to Top08-22-2010 01:07:31 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

satyreyes wrote:

winksniper wrote:

There is!  And you should get it as soon as possible, because walking around trying to seduce people is fun emot-tongue  Try to pick up Juri, and then type HINT to get a clue!

YES! Thank you!  Off to Anthy, then back to Juri where my heart, apparently, belongs.  xD
Love this game. poptart

Edit:

"HEY BABY DOES THE CARPET MATCH THE DRAPES?!?!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL emot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-rofl

Last edited by winksniper (08-22-2010 01:11:20 PM)

#20 | Back to Top08-22-2010 01:53:04 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm soooo confused. emot-confused I'm not sure how to interpret the hint.. or where to look for the pamphlet... and what about gloves? You don't need to spoil me. emot-tongue But how do you figure out the right things to say to someone? Juri won't talk to me. Woe as me. emot-rofl Anthy's responses are hilarious.

#21 | Back to Top08-22-2010 02:02:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I'm soooo confused. emot-confused I'm not sure how to interpret the hint..

It depends on the hint emot-smile  There are twenty different hints to help you through various parts of the game.  The problem is that as you've discovered, the hints are sort of, um... Shadow Girlsy.  emot-rofl  They need some interpretation!

or where to look for the pamphlet...

Have you tried what I suggested to winksniper?  Where does the character in the skit keep his special pamphlet?  emot-smile

and what about gloves?

When you need them, you'll know.  emot-smile  The game has a lot of puzzles and sub-puzzles!  With both the pamphlet and the gloves, you'll need to OPEN something to find what you're looking for, so stay on the lookout for objects in the environment that you might be able to play with!

But how do you figure out the right things to say to someone? Juri won't talk to me. Woe as me. emot-rofl

Getting Juri to talk to you is something like the central problem of the game.  emot-smile  It's going to take some work!  As for the other characters, you can ask them about a lot of things.  Good starting places are often to ask them about school or to ask them about themselves.  You might want to ask them about other things, too.  For example, Saionji's in the kendo room; maybe ask him about kendo?  You might find out something interesting, or you might just have a fun conversation.  emot-smile

#22 | Back to Top08-22-2010 02:51:58 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

AH, I get it now. Okay, I'm slow. When I saw the desk, I ended up checking the computer instead, before.

Thank you. etc-love

Yeah, I love how much effort its taking to get to talk to Juri. emot-rofl Awesome. I got the leaflet! And I did use HINT, but I kept getting the same hint over and over, but I guess its supposed to be that way?

I will try not to ask too many more questions and try more exploring myself. This is fun. emot-dance Yay, pick-up-lines! etc-love

#23 | Back to Top08-22-2010 03:18:20 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Awesome. When I opened the topic, I was expecting a text-adventure-style fanfic like John Biles writes, but this is even better.

I just beat the game - very entertaining! I got pretty fond of the protagonist and her... single-mindedness. emot-wink

One of the stickier parts for me was (spoiler)in the planetarium. I knew I would eventually need a photo of myself, and I had a tripod and Akio's camera, and I knew from canon that the camera could take self-timed photos... but I couldn't figure out how to take a picture of myself, no matter how I worded the commands. Then I went downstairs and tried to ask Akio to take a picture for me, but had no luck there either. Eventually, I gave up and just left the building. ...so, yeah. (Similarly, I kept trying to get people to help me put on the fencing jacket.)(/spoiler)

Last edited by Dallbun (08-22-2010 03:22:33 PM)

#24 | Back to Top08-22-2010 03:42:04 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I'M LOVING THE COMMANDS.

Like when you say "masturbate".  Although I'm slightly upset there's no "rape" function.

^ ^ ^
And yes, I'm trying everything...

#25 | Back to Top08-22-2010 06:56:15 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

STORMY WROTE A BOOK IN OHTORI! That is awesome!

What do you mean Kozue doesn't date girls? emot-tongue

Board footer