This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top01-09-2007 04:25:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

BioKraze wrote:

Not necessarily. Vertigo can be a chronic condition, and can happen for sometimes absolutely no reason at all. My mom has it, and is taking medication for it.

Looks like you are right.  I came from the docs yesterday and he confirmed that it is vertigo, I was surprised as I thought vertigo was just something some people get when they are at a great height.  I just hope I recover soon, I have to do a lot of bending over when I clean the insides of the cars at my job and the last thing I need is to have my head spinning all the time.

#77 | Back to Top01-09-2007 04:41:39 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, time for me to pull out my big book of obscure trivia!

A hummingbird is the only animal that can fly backwards.

26 astronauts have reported seeing UFOs while in orbit around the Earth during space missions.

A bolt of lightning heats the air around it to three times the temperature of the Sun's surface. It strikes the surface of the Earth with a force as great as 100 million volts.

The life span of a taste bud on the tongue is 10 days.

In 1879, the drug of choice to treat morphine addiction was cocaine.

Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming one-tenth of a calorie.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

There are more stars in the Universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world.

The total weight of a pigeon's bones is less than that of its feathers.

Rubber bands retain their elasticity longer if refrigerated.

All of the coal, oil, gas and wood Earth can produce could keep the Sun burning but for merely a few days.

If an octopus is hungry enough, it will actually consume its own arms.

The eye of an ostrich is larger than its brain.

The yo-yo is believed to be the second oldest toy in the world. The Greeks played with yo-yos as far back as 500 B.C. The oldest toy in the world? Dolls.

The collective noun for the kangaroo is mob; the frog, an army.

On the Leaning Tower of Pisa, six of the tower's eight floors are without safety rails. More than 250 people have fallen to their deaths since 1174.

If you were born in Los Alamos, New Mexico during the Manhattan Project, your birth place is listed as a post office box in Albuquerque.

It costs more today to purchase a car in the United States than it cost Columbus to equip and undertake his voyages (plural!) to the New World. (Scary thought, that!)

In England, during Queen Victoria's reign, it was illegal to be a male homosexual, but not a lesbian. The rationale was that, when the Queen was approving the law, she refused to believe that women would turn homosexual. (And I'm thinking, "WTF, mate?")

A cubic mile of fog is made up of less than a gallon of water.

The dimensions of a standardised grave plot is 7'8" x 3'2" x 6'0". I'm not kidding.

The benchmark of a computer's compatibility with IBM's original PC has changed over the years. Back in the 1980s, it was not 100% compatible if it couldn't run Microsoft Flight Simulator for MS-DOS. Yes, a computer game was the benchmark for IBM compatibility.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days on end, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat a single cup of coffee.

If solved perfectly, any Rubik's Cube combination can be solved in only 17 rotations.

The Hallmark company makes greeting cards for 105 different relationship types.

At the height of inflation in Germany in the early 1920s, a single US dollar was equal to four quintillion German marks.

Aluminum is strong enough to support 90,000 pounds of weight per square inch.

I think that's all for now...I'll be back with more!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#78 | Back to Top01-09-2007 04:42:42 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Tamago wrote:

Looks like you are right.  I came from the docs yesterday and he confirmed that it is vertigo, I was surprised as I thought vertigo was just something some people get when they are at a great height.  I just hope I recover soon, I have to do a lot of bending over when I clean the insides of the cars at my job and the last thing I need is to have my head spinning all the time.

I hope you get well soon, Tamago! etc-love

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#79 | Back to Top01-09-2007 05:57:50 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I hope you get well soon, Tamago! etc-love

Thanks emot-keke I look forward to being able to lean over without wanting to collapse.

#80 | Back to Top01-09-2007 06:31:47 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

BioKraze wrote:

It costs more today to purchase a car in the United States than it cost Columbus to equip and undertake his voyages (plural!) to the New World. (Scary thought, that!)

inflation is scary isn't it? emot-gonk

In England, during Queen Victoria's reign, it was illegal to be a male homosexual, but not a lesbian. The rationale was that, when the Queen was approving the law, she refused to believe that women would turn homosexual. (And I'm thinking, "WTF, mate?")

ahhh so that is the reason that in literature was allowed to portray lesbian women but not gay men... you always learn something new each day

The benchmark of a computer's compatibility with IBM's original PC has changed over the years. Back in the 1980s, it was not 100% compatible if it couldn't run Microsoft Flight Simulator for MS-DOS. Yes, a computer game was the benchmark for IBM compatibility.

priorities first emot-biggrin

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#81 | Back to Top01-09-2007 07:39:36 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

BioKraze wrote:

The Hallmark company makes greeting cards for 105 different relationship types.

105 of which are accounted for in the SKUniverse. emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#82 | Back to Top01-09-2007 10:14:36 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Dolphins can ejaculate through 15 feet of water.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#83 | Back to Top01-09-2007 10:38:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ivy-chan wrote:

Dolphins can ejaculate through 15 feet of water.

I wonder what they did to find that out. etc-wankdude?

#84 | Back to Top01-09-2007 11:06:43 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Dolphins are also one of very few species that have sex for pleasure and as far as I know the only non-primate.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#85 | Back to Top01-10-2007 05:21:02 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

BioKraze wrote:

[

This thing is actually a bit older than Victoria - I believe it stretches to the 18th century, at least. The idea was that women don't have the knob A to push into hole B - yes, some people are that unimaginative. And it has inspired a conspiracy-theory of secret rule of aristocratic lesbians in the Great Britain since the days of Elisabeth I. Yes, you read correctly.

ahhh so that is the reason that in literature was allowed to portray lesbian women but not gay men... you always learn something new each day

Well, technically portraying any kind of erotica was strictly forbidden, but the writers were creative. You can find plenty of both male and female homosexuality in the Victorian novels, if you can get through the euphemisms.
I do remember being somewhat amazed when I read Carmilla, written in 1872, where the title character keeps swearing her love for the storyteller, another young woman, without any other characters being bothered, at all...

This actually inspired me to remember a bit of trivia of my own:

The first vibrator was invented in the Victorian era to be strictly used by medical professionals to calm down a hysteric woman.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#86 | Back to Top01-10-2007 10:34:45 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I like what you two have dug up, Ivy-chan and Lightice!

As for Shattered, it has been proven that only humans and dolphins have sex for pleasure. All other animals have sex for strictly reproduction. They're missing out on all the fun.

#87 | Back to Top01-10-2007 12:57:33 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Aren't there tribes (not sure if that's the right word) of primates where the alpha-male mounts the other members? Including, sometimes, the subordinate males. Although that's a ritual to show dominance, as opposed to seek pleasure, I guess.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#88 | Back to Top01-10-2007 01:26:21 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Ragnarok wrote:

Aren't there tribes (not sure if that's the right word) of primates where the alpha-male mounts the other members? Including, sometimes, the subordinate males. Although that's a ritual to show dominance, as opposed to seek pleasure, I guess.

Well, bonobos have sex in all combinations for purely social reasons, same way we shake hands or bigger chimps scratch each other - males with males, females with females, males with females and the youngsters aren't excluded. Seems to work well enough for them.
With them it isn't about power-relations at all, though - I can't remember if I've heard of such thing, but it makes enough sense to be true with some species...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#89 | Back to Top01-10-2007 01:50:10 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Lightice wrote:

The first vibrator was invented in the Victorian era to be strictly used by medical professionals to calm down a hysteric woman.

I heard from somewhere that so many women were hysterical because women were taught to refuse sex. The doctors would do a "house call" to calm them down, but all the doctors really did was give them an orgasm to calm them down.

#90 | Back to Top01-10-2007 06:18:46 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Lightice wrote:

Well, technically portraying any kind of erotica was strictly forbidden, but the writers were creative. You can find plenty of both male and female homosexuality in the Victorian novels, if you can get through the euphemisms.
I do remember being somewhat amazed when I read Carmilla, written in 1872, where the title character keeps swearing her love for the storyteller, another young woman, without any other characters being bothered, at all...

Actually Carmilla was the story I had in mind emot-biggrin

Dani wrote:

Lightice wrote:

I heard from somewhere that so many women were hysterical because women were taught to refuse sex. The doctors would do a "house call" to calm them down, but all the doctors really did was give them an orgasm to calm them down.

emot-confused

Dani wrote:

Lightice wrote:

emot-confused

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#91 | Back to Top01-10-2007 07:11:38 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

I bet someone could seriously cheat life by not going to school or working, but spending all day learning useless trivia, for years. o.o Then they could go on a bunch of game shows, win millions of dollars, and say "Take THAT life!"

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#92 | Back to Top01-10-2007 07:21:01 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

When the show Win Ben Stein's Money was still active, you could've done just that.

Now we have Cash Cab for this sort of thing, Kealdrea.

#93 | Back to Top01-10-2007 09:24:15 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Dani wrote:

Lightice wrote:

emot-confused

At least as far as I've heard, this is true. Look up vibrators on wikipedia. I know it's not that reliable, but I've read it in other sources as well.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#94 | Back to Top01-10-2007 11:35:36 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm going to second the vibrators thing, as I've seen the claim made in several reputable places that cite sources.

As for bonobos and sex... I don't recall exactly what they said on the documentary that I watched, but I do recall them hypothesizing that all of the sex was the reason (or at least one of the reasons) why bonobos are less vicious than chimps.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#95 | Back to Top01-11-2007 06:27:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Confirming the naughty business in the Victorian era. I should go dig up my copy of The Teaching Company's lecture series on Victorian England and see if they cover that. It's always been a little amusing to me...I guess we know what occupation Akio would hold in that era, eh?

Last edited by Giovanna (01-11-2007 06:31:12 AM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#96 | Back to Top01-11-2007 03:20:43 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I would guess that if Akio was around during the Victorian period, he might have served as a private tutor for young teenage boys and girls and you can imagine what sort of lessons he would be teaching... school-deviletc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

#97 | Back to Top01-11-2007 04:08:45 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Giovanna wrote:

Confirming the naughty business in the Victorian era. I should go dig up my copy of The Teaching Company's lecture series on Victorian England and see if they cover that. It's always been a little amusing to me...I guess we know what occupation Akio would hold in that era, eh?

Oh, yes, I could just imagine...

NURSE: Doctor, doctor!
AKIO: Yes?
NURSE: There's a patient on 10th Street and 6th Avenue!
AKIO: Well. Time for Doctor Akio to make a house call...

*starts giggling inanely*

#98 | Back to Top01-11-2007 09:56:41 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Tamago wrote:

I would guess that if Akio was around during the Victorian period, he might have served as a private tutor for young teenage boys and girls and you can imagine what sort of lessons he would be teaching... school-deviletc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

On a related note, I've been doing the research to write a fanfic about this. If I ever have the time emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#99 | Back to Top01-12-2007 04:57:32 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Whoo hoo! Got even more trivia for your enjoyment! Here goes!

A human's eyes are always the same size from birth to death. However, our ears and nose never stop growing 'til the very end.

Only two words use every single vowel of the English alphabet in order (A E I O U): "abstemious" and "facetious."

A snail can remain in a hibernative state for three years before waking.

Almonds are classified as a member of the same family as peaches.

There are more chickens on Earth than humans. (Scary thought!)

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history to NOT have a full moon.

Sharks are the only fishes that can blink with both eyes.

Using a QWERTY keyboard, "typewriter" is the longest word to be made using the keys of only one row.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the English alphabet. If I'm not mistaken, there is a second: "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz."

And for your further information, a jackdaw is a African relative of the common crow.

Hope to have more trivia next time, folks!

#100 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:03:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

There are more chickens on Earth than humans. (Scary thought!)

(makes sense, if there wasn't more of them than us, we humans would have eaten them all by now)

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

(I for one would love to have someone domesticate the penguin emot-keke)

Board footer