This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-19-2013 04:42:45 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

SKU cast and control issues

There was one post on Relationship Advice topic that really ispired me and made me think that most SKU characters have control issues.

Davine Lu Linvega wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Runners-up, in order:

Anthy - By far the most experienced member of the cast in forming relationships, and the best at getting what she wants out of people and at giving them what they want, but she's never done it by being herself.  You don't want Anthy's advice if you want an honest relationship between equals, but it might be useful for learning how to just talk to someone and form a bond in the first place.

Anthy would give great relationship advice. Instead of trying to coach you or change you, she would just point you right at someone she already knows who would be a perfect match for you. She'd tell you where and when to meet them, what to walk up and say to them and what to try for a first date. You and your new partner would hit it off immediately and find your personalities and interests to be an ideal fit, forming a bond that would bring you both closer to the people you've always wanted to be.

But Anthy would neglect to mention that you and your partner would also have a set of subconscious, complementary personality flaws that would be triggered and amplified by your relationship and drive it to a nightmarish meltdown, possibly culminating in a murder-suicide, confinement in a mental institution, or an even more entertaining outcome.

Then she would name two roses in her garden after you and your star-crossed lover.

Isn't that the most SKU characters try to control their destiny? It's OK to be resposible for your life and do what you can when you have a dream but.. why is this so hard not to be manipulative when it comes to their love life?

I hope I didn't multiply any topic that already exists.

Board footer