This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-07-2007 05:57:48 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Re: Musical Theater

Your mom has seriously good taste. I've been trying to find a copy of Fosse on DVD for a while now, but I haven't been too lucky as of yet. But yes, his choreography is spifftacular. I wish I was a better dancer so I could actually do some of it.

#52 | Back to Top01-07-2007 09:10:32 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

OMG FOSSE. emot-aaa I even bought a copy of All That Jazz just so I could watch Roy Scheider pretend to be Fosse. And watch his choreography. He's so AWESOME.

Haha feel the Sondheim love.

#53 | Back to Top01-07-2007 09:39:00 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Can you Fosse fans pick out the young Mr. Fosse in the movie version of Kiss Me Kate? *grin*

I saw the show Fosse in Sacramento with my friends. It was a wonderful show.

What does everyone here think of Tim Burton doing Sweeny Todd with Jonny Depp as Sweeny? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408236/

I'm usually all for getting behind Tim Burton films and I'd love to see a movie version of the musical, however... Can Jonny Depp even sing? I also may have to bring down my expectations because I love the version with Angela Landsbury. I have a VHS copy of the American Playhouse presentation of it.

Also, any of you Andrew Lloyd Weber fans heard the music from Whistle Down the Wind? It was the show he was working on after Sunset Blvd, but I never heard if it made it to Broadway or if it was sctrictly a London production. I've the cast album at the store on occasion but I'm never sure if I want to commit to picking it up.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#54 | Back to Top01-08-2007 09:06:55 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

HAHAHA I was just thinking about Kiss Me Kate! I remember watching it and then all of a sudden FOSSE CHOREOGRAPHY. I was all emot-aaa

Oh gawd don't get me started on the Sweeney movie. Johnny Depp can't sing and he's taking lessons from his pop singing gf. Yeah, cuz Sweeney sings pop style. Helena Bonham Carter I have NO IDEA if she has the power to pull off Mrs. Lovett. I know Alan Rickman is playing Judge Turpin. No idea if he can sing. Oh, get this. They got the guy who plays Borat to be Pirelli. And apparantly, he can't sing at all so he's RAPPING the part. Yeah. That gorgeous tenor part. RAPPING.

Needless to say, I am upset. >emot-aaa

#55 | Back to Top01-08-2007 03:12:56 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oh no...that sounds awful. *winces* Now I'm just going to be afraid of the movie until I can actually see it. Sweeny Todd is the most operatic Sondhiam score I have ever heard and so far the entire cast can't sing. WTF??? emot-mad Well Helena Bonham Cater can sing, she sang a bit in Corpse Bride but still, it takes a lot of gumption to sing "Worst Pies in London".

Does anyone know what Mr. Sondhiem thinks of all this? Is he at least working with people on the movie. I mean he's a very particualr guy when it comes to the sining of his music.

Ah well...could be worse.... could be worse.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#56 | Back to Top01-08-2007 09:59:27 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Does anyone know what Mr. Sondhiem thinks of all this? Is he at least working with people on the movie. I mean he's a very particualr guy when it comes to the sining of his music.

I've been thinking of that too! From what I've seen of Sondheim, you'd think he'd be in there pitching a fit! I haven't heard anything about what he thinks of it yet. I hope he goes in there and kicks their butts.

#57 | Back to Top01-08-2007 10:37:41 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Me too.

Ever see the making of the Original Broadway Cast album for Company? I have it on DVD, actually I have a few nifty Sondheim things on dvd thanks to a wonderful Sondheim box set I bought a few years back. It has Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, Passion, Sweeny Todd In Concert (with Patty Lepone), Sondheim a Musical Celibration at Carnige Hall, and The Making of Follies in Concert. etc-love

*sigh*

I love this thread. I never get to geek out about musicals anymore. This is great.

Anyone ever see Pacific Overtures (Sondheim)? I saw a local production of it and it was pretty good. It intrigued me because at the very beginning it doesn't strike as the normal Sondheim fair, and then he slips something recognizable back in there.

What I would love to see is Company. Nearly every song in that show is great. emot-dance

#58 | Back to Top01-09-2007 02:53:20 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I've never seen Pacific Overtures but I LOVE the music.

The only Sondheim DVD I really really want is Putting It Together with Carol Burnette, George Hearn, Ruthie Henshall, John Barrowman, and Bronson Pinchot. It's awesome. I have seen the making of Company. It was fun to watch Sondheim be grumpy. emot-smile

I would love to do Company. I love playing that music.

#59 | Back to Top01-09-2007 04:27:25 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I would be content to do Ladies Who Lunch, or Another Hundred People. And while an attempt at Getting Married Today would be amusing I'm not sure I have the skill to pull it off correctly or understandably.

I have Putting It Together. It's an interesting show they way all the different songs from various Sondheim Musicals were put together.

I was thinking late last night as I was laying in bed that I know way too much about musicals both stage and movies. Although I'm sure I'm not the only one who can watch White Chirstmas and pic out the actor who plays Bernardo from West Side Story in the "Love You Done Me Wrong" number sung by Rosemary Clooney.

Anyone have any opions about Rogers and Hammerstein musicals? They aren't my favorite I must say. I can never get through Carousel, but then I suppose I may just be lacking in the ability to appreciate the genious of it. emot-rolleyes My favorite Rogers and Hammerstein musical was actually written for television not stage intiaially and that's Cinderella. My favorite tv version of it being the one in the 60's with Lesley Ann Warren. I appreciate the Julie Andrews, but I just don't by her as Cinderella (a nanny: yes, a nun: okay, a crossdressing performer in Paris: no problem).

#60 | Back to Top01-10-2007 08:52:19 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Alithea wrote:

Anyone have any opions about Rogers and Hammerstein musicals? They aren't my favorite I must say. I can never get through Carousel, but then I suppose I may just be lacking in the ability to appreciate the genious of it. emot-rolleyes My favorite Rogers and Hammerstein musical was actually written for television not stage intiaially and that's Cinderella. My favorite tv version of it being the one in the 60's with Lesley Ann Warren. I appreciate the Julie Andrews, but I just don't by her as Cinderella (a nanny: yes, a nun: okay, a crossdressing performer in Paris: no problem).

I mostly love R&H, but Carousel made my household explode with rage.  We actually returned the videotape to the store with a warning in red ink on the label:  "WARNING: This movie condones violence against women!"

My favorite musical is "Mame", a non-R&H one.  I wish I could've seen it with Angela Lansbury, since the movie version is Lucille Ball.  But I ADORE Bea Arthur.

(Suddenly, I am reminded that I actually took a course called "Musical Theatre" back in college.  Twas a lot of fun.  The prof was a big Carol Channing fan.)

#61 | Back to Top01-10-2007 01:43:35 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this before, but it's Edward Scissorhands the musical: http://www.edwardscissorhands.co.uk/mk2/index.html It was in San Francisco but I missed it. If it shows up anywhere near any of you and you brave it let me know what you all think.

I suppose I have problems with Mame because I've only ever seen the Lucille Ball version and because I'm terrible attached to the non-musical movie Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. Ah well... I do like some of the numbers and Bea Authur is fantastic.

My friend was telling me that I while back there was a Superman musical. He's going to look for the cd he had of it. Apparently there was a POW! Bam! song. I find this horribly intriguing.

I dunno...it's odd what ends up making a really good musical. Some things you would never suspect to be good and they are, and some things you would think would turn out okay are just horrid horrid things.

#62 | Back to Top01-10-2007 03:56:34 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Hahaha if you want an odd musical check out Bat Boy: the Musical. My theater won a bunch of regional awards with that one. (I got to play GOSPEL ORGAN! emot-dance) It's REALLY funny and the music is quite good. Or Hedwig and the Angry Inch. BEAUTIFUL rock songs in that. Or I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change. emot-smile

R&H I'm only so-so with. I think some of their music is beautiful, especially when it gets late in their career and everything starts to get really chromatic emot-biggrin but I'm too much of a Sondheim fan, I guess. I like musicals that are dark, complex, lush, creepy, contemporary, etc etc. So I'm turned off by really really traditional musicals. Like Oklahoma. Or Cats. Actually, I have a serious problem with Webber. But let's not go into that right now. emot-biggrin

#63 | Back to Top01-10-2007 05:17:09 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Hahaha if you want an odd musical check out Bat Boy: the Musical. My theater won a bunch of regional awards with that one. (I got to play GOSPEL ORGAN! emot-dance) It's REALLY funny and the music is quite good. Or Hedwig and the Angry Inch. BEAUTIFUL rock songs in that. Or I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change. emot-smile

Hedwig really does have beautiful songs. I was super super into it in the eighth grade, I remember I refused to do my homework unless I'd watched Hedwig first. (This went on for months, once a day, every day. Of course, now I can't watch it anymore because I've seen it way too many times. But I still love the songs.)

Emiemipoemi wrote:

R&H I'm only so-so with. I think some of their music is beautiful, especially when it gets late in their career and everything starts to get really chromatic emot-biggrin but I'm too much of a Sondheim fan, I guess. I like musicals that are dark, complex, lush, creepy, contemporary, etc etc. So I'm turned off by really really traditional musicals. Like Oklahoma. Or Cats. Actually, I have a serious problem with Webber. But let's not go into that right now. emot-biggrin

I've noticed that a lot of people have a problem with Webber and almost EVERYONE seems to be turned off by Cats. I don't get it. Webber doesn't really interest me, but I love Cats. I think it's partially a childhood thing, (I used to watch it when I was seven with whiskers drawn on my face, hoping and praying I'd turn into a cat one day emot-redface) but also I really, really, really love T. S. Eliot, so...
Anyway, it is so pretty! I guess it's practically plotless, but I'm into whimsey enough that I hardly care. Regardless, I'm pretty curious about what it is with Cats that a lot of people don't like. A friend of mine called it "musical theatre for people who don't know anything about musical theatre", but I think that was just her being elitist bitch-y?

#64 | Back to Top01-10-2007 09:21:43 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Seconding love for Cats!

The plot is thin, yes, but it's actually not supposed to have much of a plot. The cats in Cats are illustrations, caricatures I guess, of people that populated England in the time T.S. Eliot wrote Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. If you look at it from that perspective, the play becomes very interesting as a look at the people who populated England in the early 20th century. Some of those are still pretty apt today-- I myself am a Rum Tum Tugger type. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#65 | Back to Top01-10-2007 11:28:06 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

A friend of mine called it "musical theatre for people who don't know anything about musical theatre", but I think that was just her being elitist bitch-y?

At the risk of seeming elitist (emot-frown) I think the thing that turned me off from Cats is the fact that I don't like Webber in general. When I was young I loved Cats and Phantom of the Opera, and then as I grew older I was like "He's just using the same melodies and chords over and over!" But that is I suppose a personal taste. I know many people who love Cats and I can watch it and enjoy once in a while, but it's not something I'd put on my iPod and listen to again and again. (I save Sunday in the Park With George for that! emot-biggrin)

So yeah, I guess that's not a good reason but that's how I feel about Cats. D:

#66 | Back to Top01-11-2007 11:56:50 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I have a fondness for Cats out of memory from when i was little. it was after all the very first musical I got to see on stage. And for an eight year old it's the coolest thing on the planet. Cats is really more about the dancing then any plot. the last time I went to see Cats it was becuase I knew the girl who was playing Jennie Annie Dots, the Gumbi cat. emot-keke

I understand the dislike for Weber... her does repeat melodies and chords. One song pretty much sounds like another. There is a great quote from Stephen Sondhiem where he says something like, 'Anyone can write a muscial that is nothing but singing all the way through, but it takes a bit more skill to write songs that connect to spoken dialouge." I beleive he was making at jab at Weber there.

I do like some Weber musicals. The ones I like though are from his earlier carreer though like Jesus Christ Superstar, and Evita. Phantom is awesome to see performed live. Starlight Express is all about the set design and the roller skating. And I saw Aspects of Love with Sarah Brightman in San Francisco so um... I have a bit of an attachement to it.

As for other favorite musicals I love Gypsy...except that I throw that into the Sondheim category because he wrote the lyrics.

#67 | Back to Top01-11-2007 01:42:21 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Alithea wrote:

I suppose I have problems with Mame because I've only ever seen the Lucille Ball version and because I'm terrible attached to the non-musical movie Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. Ah well... I do like some of the numbers and Bea Authur is fantastic.

I can understand that.  I've only ever seen bits of the non-musical, and the musical was the first thing I ever saw all the way through, so I'm attached to it.  Plus, I *adore* the song "Bosom Buddies" -- not least for the line "I'll always be Alice Toklas if you'll be Gertrude Stein!"

I saw it live in the early 1990s with Juliet Prowse as Mame -- it was a *very* different production from the film.  Lucille Ball (and Angela Lansbury, for that matter) was a song-and-dance gal, but Juliet Prowse was more of a dance-and-dance gal, which made for more choreography.  I'd love to see another revival of it. 

I'd probably even arrange a trip to NYC for that. emot-smile  (The only time we've done the NYC trip thus far was to see Lily Tomlin in "The Search For Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe".  We get a lot of fun stage stuff in Boston.  We're considering the trip, though, for "Avenue Q".)

#68 | Back to Top01-11-2007 03:45:12 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Avnue Q would be worth the trip. It's one of the reasons I really want to go to Vegas becuase they have a permanet show out there. Yay for puppets!

#69 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:13:38 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Avenue Q was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. emot-dance

#70 | Back to Top01-15-2007 02:15:54 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm happy. Yesterday I bought miscal stuff. I got The Frogs (it's a sondheim) the Original Boradway Cast, Spamalot, and Forbidden Broadway SVU (I lose it everytime Chenowith says, 'No Indina, give me the Tony." You just have to hear it...it's funny).  emot-keke etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

I almost also got The Frogs and Evening Primrose it was a duel CD combintion, but then I realized I was spending way too much money.

As for The Frrogs I think it should be mandatory for Instructions for the Audience to be sung at every performance whether it's a Sondhiem or not...seriously a bad audience can kill a show. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

#71 | Back to Top01-15-2007 11:12:18 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I LOVE THE FROGS. It's so odd and wonderful AND it's got Nathan Lane!!

#72 | Back to Top01-16-2007 04:38:16 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Frogs is lovely. It's only odd becuase it's based on a play by Aristophanes, freely adapted bu Burt Shevelove (Funny thing happened on the way to the forum), and even more freely adapted by Nathan Lane.

It may also be odd because of it's growth. You know by all technical means The Frogs original came out in like 74, and then was slightly revived when Nathan Lane did a performance of it for Stephen Sondheim's birthday, and then Nathan Lane and Stephen Sondheim got together to put it all together again. You know that kind of metamorphisis does interesting things to shows.

I find it interesting that Dionysus would think that bringing back Shaw would help to make everything better. But hey there you go. emot-keke

I love the rhymes in the song Frogs. Something about hippy dippy homosexuals is just utterly amusing.

Mostly I'm in love with this cast album for the reminder from Stephen Sondheim that, "Words can dance, thoughts can dance, Syllables can samba, sentences can waltz around in your mind, epigrams can leap and bound simply from the way they sound" . emot-dance

On Spamalot I think my favorite song from that is "Divas Lament (What ever happened to my part?". I think i like it from a theater geeks point of view and from someone who did plays. Sometimes it seems that characters get forgotten, or don't enough songs. It may be tied with "The song that goes like this". emot-biggrin

I need more money so I can buy more music. I'm not a downloader, and not just because I live on dial up at home. It's mostly because I like having the cd in my hands with the words to the songs.

#73 | Back to Top01-18-2007 05:00:47 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

And the world weeps... what the hell?

http://www.shnsf.com/shows/show.asp?key … subkey=513

emot-mad seriously...what the hell!?

Someone tell the world to stop making musicals out of movies. Seriously, it was cute at first but now it's just getting annoying?

*heavy sigh* Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm at home and can listen to the song demos. emot-frown

Last edited by Alithea (01-18-2007 05:02:28 PM)

#74 | Back to Top01-18-2007 09:35:02 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

WTF??????? emot-mademot-mademot-mad

WHERE IS SONDHEIM OR DAVID YAZBEK OR WILLIAM FINN WHEN YOU NEED THEM??? They should start a superhero league and save the world from stupid-ass musicals.

#75 | Back to Top01-18-2007 11:09:57 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I know it's awful isn't it. I mean...oh it's just depressing. emot-gonk

Did you see the musical episode of Scrubs? It aired tonight and was actually quite amusing. I liked they way they made the spidsode into a musical, although I think the Buffy musical still wins for the best explination of why everyone was singing. AnywayI pretty I sure I saw Karen Ziemba (etc-loveetc-loveetc-love) in the episode as a doctor, but she didn't get any songs or have a dance number...which seems a little wrong to me.

So does anyone have that on role they would give their left foot to play on stage?

I only have a few, which I know probably sounds surprising given how big a theater geek I am.  These are the big four.

The Narrator (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat): Aside from being the only female character in the show not in the chorus, with something to sing (aside from "Come and Lie with me love") I have um... unresolved issues with the show. When I was in high school I auditioned for this show and I got thrown in the chorus. Now I went to an all girls Catholic High School so we got guys to be in our show from outside, and because we were all girls were it was possible to do so the rest of the songs in the show were given to girls to play. So I could have been one of the brothers but no...chorus. I'm bitter because I had one of those marvelous auditions that come along very rarely. In other words I was perfect. Normally I wouldn't tout my own wonderfulness but everyone I was auditioning with (including the one who got the part) told me I was wonderful so imagine my great disappointment when I was thrown in the chorus and a senior (only because she was a senior) was given the part. To add insult to injury here the musical director lowered range of the Narrator's part because she couldn't hit all the notes. *pouts* So I was stuck singing "banana, banana" instead of everything else. There are moment s in life that are dream killers and as far as singing and performing on stage went, this moment killed my ambition, crushed a dream. I want this role so I can just prove that I can do it.

Pilate (Jesus Christ Super Star): On a similar note as above a church was doing a concert version of Jesus Christ Super Star a few years back and after some persuasion I managed to convince the director to cast me as Pilate. Unfortunately the production was canceled do to a lack in cast. Ah well.... It happens. It's too bad I would have been a great Pilate, in a smart business suit and acting snide (well at first any way).

The Baker's Wife (Into the Woods): I have no idea why no one understands this. A few of my friends are always surprised when I say I'd rather be The Baker's Wife than The Witch, but I love her songs. And because I identify with her reaction to Cinderella's Prince: "This is ridiculous. What am I doing here? I'm in the wrong story." Realistically speaking, though, I know that if I ever auditioned for a production of Into the Woods I'd probably end up cast as Little Red Riding Hood, or Jack's Mother, because directors are like that.

Martha (The Secret Garden): I can't sing high enough to be Lily (I can sing some of it though). I'm right in that weird range were I can't always go too too low, or all the way up to where the soprano is at. If I practice more I can hit more high notes though. When I was freshmen in high school I auditioned for Anything Goes and the song I chose to audition with was Hold On. And I was terrible; thankfully I was good enough to get into the chorus. I was really nervous though, and the grace of the gods the director had also heard me sing in drama class. Sheesh, I say...anyway. She has two great songs in the show and it's an interesting part. emot-keke

Board footer