This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-29-2009 07:46:58 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Tarot!

Dunno if there's a thread for this already. Is there one?

So...is there anyone else here who does tarot readings? Owns the cards? Something like that? I'm an amateur who has no idea what the hell she's doing half the time (resulting in a kinda funny incident when I tried to do friends' readings).

Anybody out there? Hello?

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

#2 | Back to Top01-29-2009 08:41:16 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Tarot!

I have tarot cards and I used to do readings quite often but now I only do them once ever great while. I think what would be best, aside from practicing (on yourself as a way to memorize and become familiar with the cards), is to read up on tarot and the meanings of the cards, and most importantly to remember that tarot cards are a tool. As a tool the cards must be used wisely and not treated as a be all and say all of what the future holds.The tarot offers advice for action, but should not be treated as dictators of action.

The tarot deck I use the most is the Celtic deck. It came with a good book and the cards are designed well. I also really like the X/1999 deck I have, becuase it was a gift, and as such holds...a certain different feeling.

Last edited by Alithea (01-29-2009 08:47:03 PM)

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#3 | Back to Top01-30-2009 02:42:03 AM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

I have a deck, but I rarely use it lately, after my mom cornered me and made me do a reading for her.
I still love my cards, though, and would like to be able to do it again, though I wasn't always great.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#4 | Back to Top01-30-2009 04:26:05 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I have Oracle cards, though I rarely use them. Tarot's a bit too much for a person like me. emot-gonk I can't interpret them to save my life.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top01-30-2009 09:21:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aw, naturally this thread has to open up while I'm rushing to get out of the house to go on vacation emot-frown  I'll contribute when I get back!

#6 | Back to Top01-30-2009 11:50:55 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I have the Lunatic Deck, and I love it to no end. It is lush and gorgeous. I resonate with the symbolism. AND it has fully-illustrated Minors, which is rare for an original deck.

So, uh, yeah. I read.

#7 | Back to Top01-30-2009 06:35:35 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

this is kind of inspiring, to see so many other people who read!
er... i just remembered the name of my deck. it doesn't have the box anymore, so i couldn't remember. it's the Robin Wood deck. i think it's beautiful. i also have the slightly strange habit of sniffing them, because i love the way they smell.  "<<

the Lunatic Deck is nice, too. i'd never seen it before now.

#8 | Back to Top01-31-2009 07:53:14 AM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

I have the Lunatic Deck, and I love it to no end. It is lush and gorgeous. I resonate with the symbolism. AND it has fully-illustrated Minors, which is rare for an original deck.

Oooh, this one's really pretty. etc-love

Thanks, Alithea! I'll be sure to try that.

#9 | Back to Top01-31-2009 01:37:16 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Alithea wrote:

I also really like the X/1999 deck I have, becuase it was a gift, and as such holds...a certain different feeling.

I have the same deck. Shit yeah.

My only issue is that the pictures used for the Minor Arcana have nothing to do with the card meanings. It's a doujinshi deck, and I can't help but feel that the authors just slapped any random artbook picture onto the cards they felt like, as long as the swords cards had swords in them. But I LOVE the Majors. CLAMP did those illustrations specifically for a Tarot deck, so they fit beautifully.

Seishirou is one hot Death.

#10 | Back to Top01-31-2009 02:08:31 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

Alithea wrote:

I also really like the X/1999 deck I have, becuase it was a gift, and as such holds...a certain different feeling.

I have the same deck. Shit yeah.

My only issue is that the pictures used for the Minor Arcana have nothing to do with the card meanings. It's a doujinshi deck, and I can't help but feel that the authors just slapped any random artbook picture onto the cards they felt like, as long as the swords cards had swords in them. But I LOVE the Majors. CLAMP did those illustrations specifically for a Tarot deck, so they fit beautifully.

Seishirou is one hot Death.

You mean these?
http://ryen.net/tarot/x/index2.html

Yes. Very lovely. etc-love

#11 | Back to Top02-01-2009 02:40:05 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yes, indeed, those. My all-time favorite manga is Tokyo Babylon, and I was utterly OBSESSED with that and X in high school. Subaru/Seishirou OTP. school-devil

#12 | Back to Top02-01-2009 07:39:18 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

Yes, indeed, those. My all-time favorite manga is Tokyo Babylon, and I was utterly OBSESSED with that and X in high school. Subaru/Seishirou OTP. school-devil

X was my fave back in high school, especially during my junior year when I was OFFICIALLY OBSESSED with everything CLAMP does.

Back on topic, though, I love tarot readings, but I can never understand what the purpose of the Minor is. Anyone cares to enlighten me? (I remembered Hyacinth did a reading for me long time ago)

#13 | Back to Top02-01-2009 11:46:10 AM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Trench Kamen wrote:

X was my fave back in high school, especially during my junior year when I was OFFICIALLY OBSESSED with everything CLAMP does.

Back on topic, though, I love tarot readings, but I can never understand what the purpose of the Minor is. Anyone cares to enlighten me? (I remembered Hyacinth did a reading for me long time ago)

I read somewhere that Tarot was originally used just to play cards, so the Minor Arcana would be the equivalent of a regular deck of cards. 'Course, I was reading this on Wikipedia, so I could be wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_arcana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot

Subaru and Seishirou are very, very pretty together. emot-dance

#14 | Back to Top02-01-2009 02:31:48 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

I use the navigators tarot of the mystic sea. Very modern looking, computer rendered and lots of bright colors. Busy images. When I read I sort of let my eye float over the images until I pick up what I think is relevant for the reading. It's a pretty introspective/self-examination type deck. I use it mostly for myself but I do readings for others too.

http://www.learntarot.com/nvdesc.htm

20 threads dead so far.

#15 | Back to Top02-01-2009 06:45:39 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

i'm not sure if you guys are aware of it, but there IS an Utena Tarot. it only consists of the Major Arcana, though.
and, while searching around for it, i came across this, as well: The Ohtori Tarot

#16 | Back to Top02-02-2009 07:49:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Soukougnan wrote:

i'm not sure if you guys are aware of it, but there IS an Utena Tarot. it only consists of the Major Arcana, though.

I have it in the gallery. The only non-official artwork I let up on there...it was just too good, and too rare. Akio as The Magician? Fuckin' A.

I used to do tarot quite a bit, never in a predictive way, more a mental exercise for decisionmaking. In that respect it was very useful and I should probably do it once in a while. I had a Rider deck I used, and the Crowley one that's all colorful. I preferred that one because it felt more instinctual to read it. It was the sort of thing where I'd have an issue, or a question...do a spread, and find out what I did or didn't want by disagreeing or agreeing with the cards. I never believed they had any influence beyond making me see how I reacted to them.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#17 | Back to Top02-02-2009 01:09:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Back on topic, though, I love tarot readings, but I can never understand what the purpose of the Minor is. Anyone cares to enlighten me? (I remembered Hyacinth did a reading for me long time ago)[/color]

My understanding -- which, according to one school of thought, is as good as anyone's, since the cards' meaning is specific to the reader and the querent -- is that the Minor Arcana is smaller and more specific than the Major Arcana.  For example, if you drew the Devil (a Major Arcana card) in a position corresponding to your past, I'm going to be prone to infer that bondage (to yourself or to others) has been a defining theme of your life to date, that much of the narrative of your life can be understood as a struggle between you and the forces that keep you from realizing your potential.  On the other hand, if you draw the Eight of Swords in the same position -- a Minor Arcana card depicting a woman tied up aside a row of swords planted into the ground -- I'm likely to imagine that you have recently escaped from a specific situation that kept you bound.  Do you see the difference?  The Devil was a big thing, a theme of your whole life; the Eight of Swords was a small thing, one moment in that narrative.

I have precious little practice reading, but I'd be willing to try giving a reading over chat sometime!  IM me if you're interested and if I have time and am in the mood I'll give it a shot emot-smile  Just be warned that I have almost no experience with it and don't believe there's anything mystical about the cards; it's all in how you understand them.  They're a great tool for helping you look at things from new perspectives.

#18 | Back to Top02-02-2009 06:01:20 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Wow, a lot of people like tarot. This is great!

And that Utena deck is really awesome. Fwee!

#19 | Back to Top02-02-2009 06:19:09 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

I actually have two decks (one dragon themed, and one with Japanese ukyo-e prints), and though it's been quite a while I still know how to do readings.

However, I don't believe in it for a second and simply use it to impress girls who like that kind of stuff. Am I a horrible person or what?

#20 | Back to Top02-03-2009 12:58:28 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

I actually have two decks (one dragon themed, and one with Japanese ukyo-e prints), and though it's been quite a while I still know how to do readings.

However, I don't believe in it for a second and simply use it to impress girls who like that kind of stuff. Am I a horrible person or what?

I dunno. I don't think you're a horrible person.

#21 | Back to Top02-03-2009 04:38:31 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

OnionPrince wrote:

Only if you deliberately stage readings that lead them to believe that you're the perfect guy for them. emot-wink
I don't believe in the ability to tell the future from pieces of cardboard either, but from what I've gathered, they're not a half-bad way to put your thoughts into order, and reading a bit about yourself with their aid. I've never owned a deck, but I've thought about giving Crowley-version a try, some time - you got to respect a magician who kept repeating his entire career "don't believe anything I say", and still had and even today has a strong, unquestioning following.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#22 | Back to Top02-03-2009 07:28:12 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Lightice wrote:

Only if you deliberately stage readings that lead them to believe that you're the perfect guy for them. emot-wink

Why no, of course not. I would just call the cards as I see them.

"You see, my dear, the juxtaposition of the suit of Wands and Cups along with the Lovers means we have to have hot, sweaty sex. Obviously."

<_<

>_>

Anyway, I think it's interesting that tarot cards were originally just for playing card games, and they weren't used for divination until at least the 18th century.

#23 | Back to Top02-03-2009 07:43:34 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

I tend to use mine as an introspection tool. The cards from my deck are unusually busy, and if I look at them a while my eye is drawn to certain things. I don't really use them in a "predicting" sense, just as a self awareness sort of thing. When I read for others I also ask them what they notice particularly about the cards.

20 threads dead so far.

#24 | Back to Top02-09-2009 02:24:14 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

i think they're great to help you think and sort out your problems.
i've been using mine more lately--just because of this thread, and they're really great for helping me to think through my problems. i think that that's a great reason to read for other people, too.
hn.

#25 | Back to Top02-09-2009 04:25:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I spent over an hour with my brother yesterday working on the Battlestar Galactica Tarot.  He doesn't know much about the cards, so he was more of my sounding board than anything else, but we did end up filling every trump with a character.  My favorite placement was Kara Thrace as the Wheel of Fortune.  Not only does she fit the symbolism perfectly, you can just see the Eye of Jupiter superimposed behind her on the card...

It was an easy choice, though.  There are really only two or three potential Wheels on the Galactica cast, and I was in love with the next most likely candidate -- Gaius Baltar -- as the Hanged Man.

Board footer