This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-15-2007 10:42:25 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Re: The Views on Kozue

Stormcrow wrote:

The interesting thing about Kozue to me is that we have no direct evidence that she isn't as smart/talented as Miki.  This allows us the alternative interpretation that she is, but lacks the confidence in herself to let anyone know.  When called upon to play the piano, she just didn't believe that she could do it without Miki, and was too embarrassed to try.  This could well lead to her having bad grades too (speaking from experience here).

Oh god no. They both lack tremendous confidence, Miki putting he's confidence in symbols and Kozue placing hers in he's presence. I don't think Kozue is stupid at all, I'm just trying to get her angle on things, or how she might view the situation. God no. No miniture female Akio with such a finase in manipulation is stupid. I just guessed that she feels she can't meet the expectations of someone she's pigeon holed into being perfect, and just picked the path she did because she feels she has no use to him any other way. And simply because shes afraid he'll forget her.

He's the smart one, he's the genius, he's the innocent. I could have gone off to University with my friends if I had really tried, (I was getting A's in History and English), but at the end I just felt it was pointless, and my failure was just further proof that I'm not at their level.

But at the same time I still Miki expects Kozue to be like him, he expects her to like the piano and continue with it like he did, but her interests just didn't lie with the piano itself, she was just content to have he's attention, but he doesn't seem to see that, as someone else pointed out, he's vision of her is of this curly haired princess, he's shining thing, he's muse, when in fact she was simply herself, but younger. If they really did everything together, he probably assumed it was because she was like him and not because she liked him.

Stormcrow wrote:

This makes her relationship with Miki rather ironic, he knows she can do better and doesn't understand why she seems to make such an effort to appear foolish, while she thinks that he's looking down on her because she's stupid.  This has been going on long enough that they lack a good means of communication and can't simply tell each other what they're feeling, and neither of them has the maturity to forge new ones.  Sad, really.

OMG! Thats spot on. Thats a really good precise way of putting it. I felt the relationship lacked communication because they always dance around eachother and tell other people their business instead of telling eachother, but thats bang on. It is really sad isn't it, it's like their chained to eachother.

Stormcrow wrote:

Going further with this interpretation, she calls him a coward because for the first time, he has failed to live up to her expectations.  Perhaps this will lead her to understand him better and allow her to look at him as a brother and not as a man on a pedestal.  Actually, in this interpretation, I see Kozue as closer to Nanami than Touga, with the whole hero worship thing.

It occurs to me that I should read more of the character analyses at Empty Movement, it's entirely possible that someone already said all of this.

I like that twist on things, that perhaps thats the reason she called him a coward, I was thinking something that it might be because he was unable to get what he wants by ANY means possible, instead of only morally, and she saw that as something cowardly. But it could just be geuine disappointment like you said. After all, its true, he didn't meet her expectations then.

I think Miki and Kozue are both guilty of putting unrealistic expectations on one another.

I don't know if someone has already said what you said, but I'm glad you posted it here anyway.

#27 | Back to Top06-15-2007 11:50:48 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

In addition there is no evidence that Kozue has real incestuous desires. Even the scene at the piano does not necessarily indicate more than mere childish possessiveness. I recently saw a brother and sister at a family reunion. The sister kept grabbing her brother around the arm and strolling with him like lovers do. I am certain that it had nothing to do with incestuous desire, just possesiveness demonstrated in an inappropriate way.

Kozue's behavior under the influence of the Black Rose is not necessarily an indication of her true self but a caricature of it.

edit: for typo

Last edited by brian (06-15-2007 11:52:54 AM)

#28 | Back to Top06-15-2007 01:59:08 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

brian wrote:

In addition there is no evidence that Kozue has real incestuous desires. Even the scene at the piano does not necessarily indicate more than mere childish possessiveness. I recently saw a brother and sister at a family reunion. The sister kept grabbing her brother around the arm and strolling with him like lovers do. I am certain that it had nothing to do with incestuous desire, just possesiveness demonstrated in an inappropriate way.

Kozue's behavior under the influence of the Black Rose is not necessarily an indication of her true self but a caricature of it.

edit: for typo

Awww, the brother and sister sound cute

But do you think there was anything incestrous between the two?? And if you do (or anyone else does) what made you suspect that. (I picked up on intimacy but it didn't occur to me anything incestrous happened between the two-I'm so oblivious to these things emot-mad)

Extra note: Ragnarok had already explained the coward comment. Yea....Kozue is random....I always just thought....oka~y...no resolution then....no?? Not even a little one....no?? No?? Okay then.

#29 | Back to Top06-15-2007 07:31:20 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I just looked back over the quotes thread and saw Mocha's B5 reference again.  It reminds me of something G'Kar said about it being hard to accept change in other people, because by changing they disappoint your expectations.  I guess that's how I now view the Coward line.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#30 | Back to Top06-15-2007 09:29:49 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Coco Melancholy wrote:

But do you think there was anything incestrous between the two?? And if you do (or anyone else does) what made you suspect that. (I picked up on intimacy but it didn't occur to me anything incestrous happened between the two-I'm so oblivious to these things emot-mad)

As in so much else in Utena it comes down to personal opinion. Anthy and Nanami show inappropriate possessiveness and get more than they bargained for. If Miki had reciprocated her advances, when she was under the influence of the Black Rose, Kozue would have ended up as miserable as Anthy in the long run. The problem is that all three of them are proto-sexual in a sense, that is to say that they themselves may not understand (in the beginning) what is sexual and what is not. They also don't know other things about love such as the difference between getting and giving.

#31 | Back to Top06-26-2007 12:05:59 AM

junior
New Student
Website

brian wrote:

In addition there is no evidence that Kozue has real incestuous desires. Even the scene at the piano does not necessarily indicate more than mere childish possessiveness.

As I recall, her body language is very flirty with Miki during her first appearance.  The one when she "just happens" to be leaving the piano room as Miki enters.

I believe the Black Rose merely releases a repressed part of the character's personality.  It "goes deeper" into her psyche.

Also, look to the way they set up the scenes with Kozue and Miki putting the bird's home together.  You're supposed to think, at first, that they are doing something naughty.   The dialogs is filled with sexual innuendo.  You only see their faces at first, not a wide shot, and the dialogue says,

"Whoah, not so rough, ok?"

"Sorry.  Is it crocked?"

Not to mention this happens after they ride the Akio car, which symbolizes sex, and Kozue is straddling a pole. 

Not to mention that Kozue seems determined to let Miki know how sexually active she is, presumably arranging for him to run into her in the piano room, (or was that just an accident?) and making out with Anthy in front of him.  Which makes me think that she was looking for some sort of three way action, and Miki's "cowardly" action was to reject that.  Or maybe Miki was just cowardly by not sexually sharing Anthy?

I don't know how else to interpret the "coward" line.

#32 | Back to Top06-06-2009 08:34:13 AM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

brian wrote:

As in so much else in Utena it comes down to personal opinion. Anthy and Nanami show inappropriate possessiveness and get more than they bargained for. If Miki had reciprocated her advances, when she was under the influence of the Black Rose, Kozue would have ended up as miserable as Anthy in the long run. The problem is that all three of them are proto-sexual in a sense, that is to say that they themselves may not understand (in the beginning) what is sexual and what is not. They also don't know other things about love such as the difference between getting and giving.

I think that borders on the banal. While I agree that Kozue's actions are unhealthy, I disagree with your moralizing.

I think OP's analysis makes the most sense to me.

One way to think about Miki's lack of confidence, relative to Touga, is as a result of their difference in age. If Miki were 4 years older than Kozue he might feel easier about shrugging off her advances and Kozue might not feel such a need to compare to him.

And we all know that Nanami is definitely a clown compared to the oh so wonderful Touga. emot-rofl

#33 | Back to Top06-13-2009 03:26:53 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Miki wants to believe that Kozue is still good and is simply acting foolish. I think that if he accepts what other people say about her (slut) or what she does, then I think he may have to admit that he is also impure in a sense. They are twins, perfect compliments to each other, and I think that they are driven to their respective extremes in an attempt to make the other recognize the good and the bad in the world. I felt that Kozue's sexual attraction to Miki is also based on her desire to protect him. If she is the one who introduces him to his own sexuality, then she can ensure it will be done in a controlled manner that will not harm him. I think what Kozue is ultimately trying to tell Miki is that impurity may destroy your innocence but it need not destroy the rest of you. She encourages him to take Anthy for himself, to break down his own barriers to discovery the beauty that may lie in things that initially are seen as filthy. But in the end though he fails, and neither of them make a compromise. And I think that their issue remained unresolved in the end because it shouldn't be. They both made their stakes, they've agreed to disagree, and I think a true revolution for them is for them to move on and find the truth in other people.

#34 | Back to Top06-13-2009 04:36:23 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

I've always thought of Kozue as desperate. She keeps feeling the distance between her and Miki growing and seems determined to make him look at her again, hence her sexual exploits. Her fragile psyche makes her easy prey for the Chairman and his insatiable libido. But I think she likes it, too, confused by her adolescence. She's what, thirteen? Pretty fucked up.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by KillerxXxQueen (06-13-2009 04:37:32 AM)

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#35 | Back to Top06-13-2009 07:44:36 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

There always has to be a witch, and now it seems to be Kozue's turn. I just don't believe that she is a monster or a pervert or seriously more disturbed than Miki. If she is playing those roles it's because Miki needs her too so he can absolve himself of all responsibility for having hurt her, and for continuing to ignore and censure her. He turns away from her and gazes into the empty blue sky fantasizing about purity, denying his own impurity, and partial responsibility for her pain and using her to justify his feeling of victimization.

She and Miki are trying to change each other and making the other responsible for their own happiness and unhappiness. Akio and perhaps family pressures aggravate it.

She is very frightened, and terrifically immature, nothing more. Everything else is just pseudo-sophistication and the mirror-image of Miki's pseudo-innocence.

Neither one of them genuinely understand either real innocence or real corruption.

Last edited by brian (06-13-2009 07:47:15 PM)

#36 | Back to Top06-20-2009 07:56:40 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I think Kozue does have a crush on her brother, whereas Miki just wants to go back to simpler times because he freaks out when she advances on him. In addition to getting him to notice her sexually, I think her rebellious behavior stems from her parents' neglect and unrealistic expectations. 

"So Mom and Dad, I'm not a genius like him? You only call us when you have to? Fine! I won't even try to be a pretty little wind-up doll."

Kozue is one of the most fascinating and messed up players on the Ohtori stage. I like her.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#37 | Back to Top06-20-2009 10:31:28 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Does anyone else see striking parallels between Shiori and Kozue?

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#38 | Back to Top06-21-2009 08:38:10 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

Riri-kins wrote:

I think Kozue does have a crush on her brother, whereas Miki just wants to go back to simpler times because he freaks out when she advances on him.

From my last Utena re-watch, I got the impression that Miki didn't really have any direct sexual feelings for Kozue.  But, unfortunately, what he's looking for in someone he is interested in is a replacement for what he used to have with her, so she's being indirectly pulled into his muddle of confused teenage sexual feelings.  One more reason not to do what he's doing, although episode 37 does make me think that maybe he is learning.

In addition to getting him to notice her sexually, I think her rebellious behavior stems from her parents' neglect and unrealistic expectations. 

"So Mom and Dad, I'm not a genius like him? You only call us when you have to? Fine! I won't even try to be a pretty little wind-up doll."

I still have a hard time really figuring out Kozue, but this, at least, is definitely the case.  I wonder how much of her and Miki's differences might stem from different and gender-inspired expectations their parents placed upon them.  (Of course, in pondering this I am hugely influenced by Jaime and Cersei Lannister in "A Song of Ice and Fire".)

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#39 | Back to Top06-23-2009 05:07:03 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

I definitely agree with this:

In addition to getting him to notice her sexually, I think her rebellious behavior stems from her parents' neglect and unrealistic expectations.

I wonder how much of her and Miki's differences might stem from different and gender-inspired expectations their parents placed upon them.

I thought it was the opposite? That their parents had the same expectations but Kozue just happened to not be a genius.

#40 | Back to Top06-26-2009 06:25:56 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

Charuru wrote:

I thought it was the opposite? That their parents had the same expectations but Kozue just happened to not be a genius.

The only thing we see of this is the expectations of piano-playing ability, which do seem to be equal - but, then again, Kozue also seems to play the piano well enough when she has her black rose, and who knows what that means - so this is really just speculation on my part.  But I was thinking about how young girls are usually brought up with tougher expectations about always being good and proper and nice than young boys are, and given that, even as the boy, Miki shows signs of being under a lot of pressure to always be on the straight and narrow, it wouldn't surprise me if the pressure on Kozue had been even worse.  And I could see this being just as big a part of why she's rebelled the way she has as the incident with the piano recital.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#41 | Back to Top07-02-2009 09:23:58 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

I love Kozue, because the thing I love about Shiori and Kozue is that they act like normal people do, but they just show it on the outside, while others hide it.(Akio). And while they seem to be 'bad people' they just have normal emotions. Jealousy, anger, love, etc. No one in the series can say they're truly better then them emotion, moral or physical wise. And while they're not the main character, or even the one of the main characters they cause a tremendous toll on the main characters. They make the main characters. Juri wouldn't be Juri without Shiori, Miki wouldn't be Miki without Kozue, and we wouldn't know some of the darker sides of Nanami or Touga if it wasn't for them.

A common thing among all characters in Utena is their lack of parents. From being a twin, I know that if you're parents are gone for extensive amounts of time you get closer to your sibling, and sometimes don't want to let them go. And things just...change when you get older. And while it might appear to be something like incest, its also that you just want to be close to them. Touga and Nanami also faced that even though they aren't twins. And Nanami sees how her brother can be, but she ignores it. She just wants him still. But she keeps thinking that it'll just be the same as if they were younger, and it can't.

I think that they were also put into place to contrast Utena's lack of family. And honestly that's probably what makes her so trusting. Because no one told her better, but more because she's desperate to be close to someone inside. Kozue knows her brother and her are distancing because of their age, and she acts like it doesn't effect her, that's why she acts that way when someone tries to get close to him. She wants to close to him instead.
Nanami on the otherhand, doesn't even try to hide how much she doesn't want to let Touga go. It also would make it ten times more difficult being the man slut that he is. She wants him to forever be the little sister he loves, takes care of and babies. But neither can also resist that they too have the physical attraction to their brothers, possibly because the are so close to them and have been so close to them.
Miki tries to have a normal relationship to an extent, but Kozue won't let him. Touga on the otherhand provokes Nanami's love and attention to him.

And Kozue might feel like a Wild animal inside because she knows her feelings for her brother very well, and she knows how fearless she is. Not to mention its quite common for kids who's parents have high expectations to rebel. Even if she hurts him, its because she wants him to love her. And he does love her, but not in the way that Kozue does, and she knows that, but doesn't want to acknowledge it.

To quote Queen, "Too much Love will Kill You".

Board footer