This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-15-2007 02:17:10 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Which character best represents you?

The very first Utena personality test I took gave me this ranking for characters I am most like:

1. Shiori
2. Juri
3. Utena
4. Kozue

And I pretty much stand by that ranking, though I think if I had to come right down to it I am another example of someone exuding combined personality traits of Juri/Shiori/Ruka. I've been in similar situations in each of those rolls. I've been the Juri, and the Shiori, and even the Ruka. So there you go.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#77 | Back to Top11-15-2007 03:38:21 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I took a personality test, and I got Chida Mamiya.  Isn't that interesting?

I actually think I'm a little of Utena and a little of Anthy.  I dream of one day becoming a princess instead of a prince.  But I'm a witch, an outcast, never quite fitting into the group and always watching from the sidelines.  Perhaps Mamiya and Anthy reflect the dichotomy I have of my own regarding my gender.  I remember seeing an analysis of Anthy's sleepiness during the Black Rose Saga and how it was because she was changing back and forth.  I find that in real life, it's exausting.  I'm optimistic, like Utena, at least on the outside, and maybe I even believe some of it.  Yet, deep down, like Anthy, there's this feeling of hopelessness and pain that I sometimes think will stay with me for eternity.

#78 | Back to Top11-15-2007 04:13:09 PM

st0dad
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

I'm all Saionji...he's not my favorite (he comes in 2nd to Juri) but I'm irrationally angry and violent. All the time. And I'm the butt of a lot of jokes within my group of friends. >.>;;

and recently, I've been called arrogant. I don't know if Saionji flaunts his talents and abilities, but I'm sure a good portion of the characters consider him like that.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1797/utenasiglf5.jpg

ChuChu: "Around the world I've traveled, strolling trough dozens of countries and thousands of lands, taking my time to feed my knowledge with the wisdom that folklore and history brings along."

#79 | Back to Top11-15-2007 05:04:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Alexandra wrote:

I remember seeing an analysis of Anthy's sleepiness during the Black Rose Saga and how it was because she was changing back and forth.  I find that in real life, it's exausting.

It probably didn't help that she was staying up all night with Mikage, either.  school-devil

#80 | Back to Top11-16-2007 07:11:14 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I'm generally not the sort of person who goes for the whole who-represents-me sort of thing, but with Utena, I have contemplated it. It's always hard to do those rating tests and the personality tests, since for me, it's always this fight to not skew my personality in favor of whatever character I enjoy most. It's not that hard to do it subtly if you know the characters well, since it's an innate part of my personality, this sort of chameleonic sense of what would fit where and how. I have an intensely fragile ego, and it really doesn't take much to hurt me, but, unless you happen to be one of those rare people who can see through the masks I so enjoy to employ in my life, no one really notices. So, when I look at all that, I sort of scratch my head and go, 'huh.' I suppose I could see myself as Anthy with that sort of personality, but it doesn't quite work. I have nowhere near her level of passive-aggression and innate manipulative instinct, and there's the addition of what a friend of mine calls my martyr complex.

Because of how I am, how my personality has been built throughout the years, I am far more self-sacrificing than I ought to be, sometimes to the point of not knowing that I really should step forward for what I really want in life. It doesn't happen often, mostly because I have a bit of an avoidant personality and don't want to become friends with people, probably for this very reason, but if faced with a choice that will hurt me or hurt those I care about, I would far rather hurt myself and it is almost an obsession of mine that people not be upset around me. The worst part of that is that I can sometimes get blinded to what's hurting people and be unable to recognize what it is, and, worst of all, be completely unable to help. So, I look over this messy looking thing that is my personality, and still go 'huh.' I was rated quite solidly as Utena once, and was sort of miffed because, at the time, I thought of her as a really stupid sort of character. I've since come to realize some of the depth to her personality and be less annoyed by it, more accepting of what a dual compliment/insult it could be to be considered an Utena-type.

Realistically, though, especially when looking through the responses, the answer that is most pleasing to me is that I'm a little bit of everybody. I see the people who cannot lock themselves down to a single person, which makes absolute sense, because these characters we're all so fond of are archetypes, personality traits driven into a singular focus. Humanity, like me, is too multi-focused, too varied, too intrinsically complex, that it would almost be impossible to me to narrow myself, or anyone else, down to a singular archetypal character.

Of course, maybe I'm just too blind to see who I really am like. Perhaps, maybe, there's an obvious answer somewhere here, and I just can't see it because self-examination is not something I am fond of. Maybe, just maybe, I do indeed have a pickled plum stuck to my back.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#81 | Back to Top11-16-2007 11:23:50 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

I suppose I could see myself as Anthy with that sort of personality, but it doesn't quite work. I have nowhere near her level of passive-aggression and innate manipulative instinct, and there's the addition of what a friend of mine calls my martyr complex.

Taking a million swords of mankind's hatred to save a guy who didn't want to be saved... I think Anthy may have a bit of a martyr complex.  emot-wink

Lady Chani wrote:

These characters we're all so fond of are archetypes, personality traits driven into a singular focus. Humanity, like me, is too multi-focused, too varied, too intrinsically complex, that it would almost be impossible to me to narrow myself, or anyone else, down to a singular archetypal character.

Hmm!  I think it's an exaggeration to call the characters of Utena "archetypes."  Akio is pretty archetypal, okay, and perhaps Utena, but the rest?  Wakaba is genki, but she isn't just genki; we see thanks to Saionji and Mikage that her personality has undertones of obsession and angst and insecurity.  Touga is a power freak, but he's also perceptive and thoughtful, and once in a while he has an outburst of not entirely flattering but nonetheless shining genuineness that makes you question whether he's really irredeemable.  Oddly, I think one reason it's tough to identify completely with Utena characters is that they're more complex than mere archetypes.  Anyone can identify with an archetype, since the point of an archetype is that everyone intrinsically identifies with it, but it's harder to identify with deeper characters who mix and pollute the archetypes.  You identify with this aspect of Anthy but not that part.  Archetypes have only one aspect.

#82 | Back to Top11-16-2007 12:19:27 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Wakaba is genki, but she isn't just genki; we see thanks to Saionji and Mikage that her personality has undertones of obsession and angst and insecurity.

I always wish they did more with Wakaba. Her Black Rose episode was fascinating, how a normally unconcerned girl suddenly displayed quite the power complex. To relate this back to the topic, I identify with Wakaba as well. For all my supposed intellectual pursuits, I'd rather live a simple and carefree life than be on the Student Council. Also, I like to take care of people. Children and animals particularly.

I have an intensely fragile ego, and it really doesn't take much to hurt me, but, unless you happen to be one of those rare people who can see through the masks I so enjoy to employ in my life, no one really notices.

Our society would be far less polite if we all didn't focus on the surfaces. Individualism places little emphasis on true understanding. Gah, I'm about to go on a rant on the disadvantages of the failure of the community. I'll summarize to say that masks are wonderful things. For protection as you noted, and for confusing the living hell out of people.

You identify with this aspect of Anthy but not that part.

As it was pointed out in one of the essays, Anthy is the most essentially human of the characters, and thus one of the hardest to relate to. She really is a mirror based on the opinions and views of the audience. I think in that aspect, we can all relate to her a little, but it would be quite impossible to relate fully as we have no real idea what we're relating to.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#83 | Back to Top11-16-2007 04:24:44 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

satyreyes wrote:

Alexandra wrote:

I remember seeing an analysis of Anthy's sleepiness during the Black Rose Saga and how it was because she was changing back and forth.  I find that in real life, it's exausting.

It probably didn't help that she was staying up all night with Mikage, either.  school-devil

I want to trade places with Anthy/Mamiya school-devil

#84 | Back to Top11-16-2007 09:40:14 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

satyreyes wrote:

Lady Chani wrote:

I suppose I could see myself as Anthy with that sort of personality, but it doesn't quite work. I have nowhere near her level of passive-aggression and innate manipulative instinct, and there's the addition of what a friend of mine calls my martyr complex.

Taking a million swords of mankind's hatred to save a guy who didn't want to be saved... I think Anthy may have a bit of a martyr complex.  emot-wink

I'd never considered that to be an extreme example of what I do in my life, and now I'm rather disturbed by that. Thanks for pointing that out, and not in a sarcastic way.

satyreyes wrote:

Lady Chani wrote:

These characters we're all so fond of are archetypes, personality traits driven into a singular focus. Humanity, like me, is too multi-focused, too varied, too intrinsically complex, that it would almost be impossible to me to narrow myself, or anyone else, down to a singular archetypal character.

Hmm!  I think it's an exaggeration to call the characters of Utena "archetypes."  Akio is pretty archetypal, okay, and perhaps Utena, but the rest?  Wakaba is genki, but she isn't just genki; we see thanks to Saionji and Mikage that her personality has undertones of obsession and angst and insecurity.  Touga is a power freak, but he's also perceptive and thoughtful, and once in a while he has an outburst of not entirely flattering but nonetheless shining genuineness that makes you question whether he's really irredeemable.  Oddly, I think one reason it's tough to identify completely with Utena characters is that they're more complex than mere archetypes.  Anyone can identify with an archetype, since the point of an archetype is that everyone intrinsically identifies with it, but it's harder to identify with deeper characters who mix and pollute the archetypes.  You identify with this aspect of Anthy but not that part.  Archetypes have only one aspect.

Perhaps I'm just using the word wrong, but you do have very valid points. It's also very true that while having the initial image of being archetypes, these characters are very deep. That is a very good point as to why it is hard to narrow down to a singular person.

See, this is what I get when I try to be intelligent. Other people give me more food for thought. I should do it more often. Very nice.

Jellineck wrote:

Our society would be far less polite if we all didn't focus on the surfaces. Individualism places little emphasis on true understanding. Gah, I'm about to go on a rant on the disadvantages of the failure of the community. I'll summarize to say that masks are wonderful things. For protection as you noted, and for confusing the living hell out of people.

I don't really like being confused, but I'll agree that my masks are essential for survival in today's society. Someday, it might be interesting to hear your rant.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#85 | Back to Top11-13-2009 05:49:43 PM

Kohakusama
Wakaba Wrangler

I would have to say Juri, I want to get stornger and see my self as week. I have pulled the fack almost kiss befor to(I hit the guy after that)(Ep 7). The woman I love has twisted my heart so much that I come off as cold(most people see me as uncareing) and i don't trust poeple.I sit in a chair and star off in to nuthing all the time(movie manga,ainme)
I hate people who can stand up for them self but choso not to(wtf, why would you stand up for your self?)

but there is some part of me thats like Movie manga Anthy, I can love till it hurts and I don't quit when it dose. I been call a witch many times,(some times with a b)

In death and only death do we understand life

#86 | Back to Top11-13-2009 06:42:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I have Saionji's false ego and success rate, Keiko's ability to hide her discontent with a friend underneath the surface and resulting frustration, Wakaba's insecurities about being average and unnoticed, Utena's ability to not back down from what she believes is right even when challenged with harsh truths, Nanami's volume of voice and laughter, Touga's amused cynicism,  Kozue's spiteful cynicism, Juri's tendency to space out and Mari's lovelife.

D:/

#87 | Back to Top11-13-2009 08:37:26 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

If you could fuse Utena and Anthy, that would be it.  I consciously try to be Utena but always revert to Anthy.  Godammit!

And I'd mention Juri but we all have a little Juri inside of us, sometimes.   Heh.

#88 | Back to Top11-14-2009 07:39:17 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Probably a mixture of Anthy and Saionji.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

Board footer