This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top08-05-2007 07:44:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: vIRGin Meet in NYC? LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR SEXY FUN TIME <3 <3

Yay! I was hoping you would come, Dani!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#102 | Back to Top08-05-2007 08:09:45 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Oh my god, I really really want to go, but I'll just be graduating. emot-gonk emot-frown

#103 | Back to Top08-05-2007 08:43:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

DANI! I was hoping you'd be able to come. etc-love I was actually just about to e-mail you about it.

morosemocha wrote:

This one in Queens/next JFK is showig up fairly consistantly and at 39 a night.

This is in New Jersey,but it is right next to Penn Station -maybe that's good? 69 a night.

Annnnnd here's on on Staten Island, although that's fairly far out too. I don't think I've ever been out in Staten, actually. 49 a night.

Alright, just did some poking around on the MTA PDFs, since I suck at the Not Manhattan. The Newark one, IMO, is right out. There is no mass transit into the city near that location. There's a train in from Newark Airport, but it's 14bux a way and you'd have to get into the airport. Obviously the people keenest on mocha's discount are also the ones penny pinching here, so you're saving no money doing this and you're eating a pretty beefy transit time into the city.

The JFK one is far from Manhattan. FAR. There's the A train nearby, and by nearby I mean about thirty street blocks (not nearby). You could walk this distance, or you could take the bus. The thing is the most direct route to the nearest A station takes 2 buses, and you're still walking reasonably far to get to one of them. And once you're ON the A train, you're going to be on the A train for a really fucking long time, because you're about as far from Manhattan as the subways go. You've got something like 13 stops before you're in Manhattan, because the A is the express train through Brooklyn. Still it's going a long distance and I can't say for sure how long you'll be there. It's a while to be on the subway though, especially since some of you are kinda squeamish about it and the blue line trains aren't exactly the nicest ones you can ride. The JFK website says the transit into Manhattan is 60-75 minutes, and that's assuming you're taking the AirTrain straight to the subway, which you won't be since it's 5bux a ride. The bus will take longer, as will walking.

The Staten Island one is much closer, physically, than the JFK one, but I can't say for sure how much you're going to eat in transit time. There IS a bus right outside your door at the hotel, and if you sit on it long enough, it'll take you right to the Ferry. You could also elect to transfer to another bus that isn't a much longer distance to travel, but winds around less and is more scenic since it runs along the coast. Still, you'll be on the bus for a while, and then you're going to be on the Ferry, which is about a half hour ride, and it leaves every thirty minutes most days. I would say in the end you're probably looking at the same transit time. However if it were up to me, and I were willing to spend like an hour, hour and a half to get into the city, I would go with the Staten Island one, since the Ferry is very scenic and cool, and while you're on a bus for a while, it's not being stuck on a subway for 895795873 hours. (Keep in mind also that the train is going to be miserable fucking PACKED if you are so unlucky as to get on it during rush hour, since it's one of the major cross-borough trains.) You're also closer to more stuff if you stay on Staten Island, since it's a smaller amount of space. It's also away from the LOL WE'RE NEAR THE AIRPORT surcharge for everything from convenience stores to food, so it'll be easier to scrape pennies. Also if you're really, really not in the mood for the bus, you can choose to split cab fare among the lot of you to get to the Ferry, but you can only pack so many of you into a cab. You'd also have this option from JFK, but it'll amount to how far you want to go before you switch to the train. So you have some idea of the distance you're dealing with with JFK, there's a 'cheap' flat rate of 45bux to taxi into Manhattan from there.

One other thing to note is that everything slows down a lot at night outside Manhattan as far as mass transit goes. The buses will appear less often, the ferry doesn't run every half hour. On one hand, this is good because you'll get around quicker, on the other, you'll wait longer to get on buses, trains, and ferries.

This is a decision you guys are going to have to make amongst yourselves. You're basically fucked either way about equally as far as transit time goes. Like I said, the transit from Staten Island is a nicer one. I also know a lot more about SI as far as stuff to do than I know about the far end of Brooklyn, so there is that, and that SI is going to be cheaper for you guys to do anything in, whether it's eat or take taxis. Either way, you're going to get dumped in the Financial District of Manhattan when you do arrive. ( etc-wankgirl ), near a very nice selection of trains. The Ferry puts you right next to Battery Park, which is pretty, A train, if you get off immediately, leaves you on Fulton St, which I rather saw enough of last time I was in NYC.

It's up to you whether to decide the more expensive rooms are worth skipping transit time. For me, it is. For you, it might not be. The Hotel Carter will house four of you at a time for 188 a night, and the Carlton Arms will (with bathroom) for 180 a night. Which isn't bad at all split four ways, but you're not going to beat mocha's rates for sheer cheap no matter where in Manhattan you stay. And you certainly won't be at the god damn HILTON. cool In any case, if the con is friday-sunday, depending on your flight times you'll probably only need to stay two nights. In every hotel I've been in, they've been perfectly fine with letting me check out and then leave my baggage for when I need it.

Uh...which does bring up the snag in things if you stay at a Hilton. There's no cheap way to get to Staten Island with luggage, you're going to be taking a taxi. The cheapest taxi will be from Newark, but you're still gonna be kinda eating it. JFK to SI is ballparking taxi fare at 65. Obviously if you're staying at JFK and you fly into JFK, you win the game, but since there are various airport connection services ranging from 15-25, landing at Newark/LGA and going to JFK won't be SO bad. Still, it is something to consider, and will factor in to which airport you arrive in, which I was going to get into later. Your cheapest/quickest way into Manhattan is going to be LaGuardia. Your potentially cheapest will also be LaGuardia if you're willing to cart luggage on public transit, or you only have carry ons. JFK will be the most no matter what you do.

Oh oh, BTW. You people bussing into NYC would be winning the day, since your ass gets dumped right in Times Square. emot-keke

Also the Lexington Ave one not showing up makes me cry. emot-frown That would have been just completely ideal for the SKU viewing.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#104 | Back to Top08-05-2007 09:18:55 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Dani wrote:

I know I haven't posted on the forum in forever but count me in for this. I'll be there! If anyone needs help getting to NYC, I can get free bus tickets going from Washington D.C. That's a four hour bus trip.

Do you live in the DC area? If so I did not know this . . . I knew there was somebody to the east of me.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#105 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:03:37 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Thanks, Gio and Yasha!

Sevelle wrote:

Do you live in the DC area? If so I did not know this . . . I knew there was somebody to the east of me.

Yep, I live in Northern VA. I think we discussed this before but a long time ago. Are you in Richmond?

#106 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:11:38 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Dani wrote:

Thanks, Gio and Yasha!

Sevelle wrote:

Yep, I live in Northern VA. I think we discussed this before but a long time ago. Are you in Richmond?

Yes, my memory is horrid, ahaha.

you said

#107 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:14:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

LALALA EVERYONE READ THIS POST PLEEEASE emot-keke

I've poked through the thread and compiled a list of the people that have mentioned coming. I'm using the Budget heading to narrow down the people most likely to be using mocha's discount or otherwise packing into rooms like sardines. emot-keke

Giovanna  -  Duh; Moderate
Yasha  -  Duh; Moderate

satyreyes  -  Definitely In; $ not mentioned
morosemocha  -  Definitely In; Budget
Cerise  -  Definitely In; Moderate
Paradox  -  Definitely In; Moderate
Stormcrow  -  Definitely In; Budget?
Razara  -  Definitely In; Moderate
Kealdrea  -  Definitely In; Moderate
Archambeau  -  Definitely In; $ not mentioned, but has lodging
Dani  -  Definitely In; Moderate?

ShatteredMirror  -  Almost Definitely; Budget
KissingT.Kiryuu  -  Almost Definitely; $ not mentioned
secret_lover_of_tenjou  -  Almost Definitely; $ not mentioned (would be with KTK)

dollface  -  Possibly Maybe; Budget
Recompense  -  Possibly Maybe; $ not mentioned
Hiraku  -  Possibly Maybe; Budget
angelicreation  -  Possibly Maybe; Moderate
KissingT.Kiryuu  -  Possibly Maybe; $ not mentioned
Clarice  -  Possibly Maybe; Moderate
Frosty  -  Possibly Maybe; Moderate
Arki  -  Possibly Maybe; Budget
Hinotori  -  Possibly Maybe; $ not mentioned
Raven Nightshade  -  Possibly Maybe; Budget (Carlton)
Sevelle  -  Possibly Maybe; $ not mentioned
AnjitheArtist  -  Possibly Maybe; $ not mentioned

Alithea  -  Maybe Maybe; Budget?
Baka Kakumei Reanna  -  Maybe Maybe; Budget
Maarika  -  Maybe Maybe; $ not mentioned
Frau Eva  -  Maybe Maybe; $ not mentioned

I said I wanted at least 10 people besides Yasha and myself, and we pretty much already have that, so IT'S ON, BITCHES. emot-dance So here's where I'm gonna mention this:

I will be 'on call' pretty much 24/7 during the con. Meaning, I will give all of you my cell phone number, and you will be able to call me whenever you need help, be that directions, or something's wrong, or you need a wine recommendation. I always carry a copy of the bus and subway maps, and I know the street layout of Manhattan freakishly well for someone that doesn't live there. (eheh, I also usually have a list of recommended restaurants in areas of the city I frequent...) However, I would really like it if someone else, or a couple someone elses, would also be willing to do this, so if I don't answer the phone for some reason, there's still someone to call. Obviously you need a cell phone and a willingness to take calls and be responsible, and I'd really prefer it if you had some passing familiarity with NYC; I know a few of you have been there before.

The list above is obviously not complete yet, and probably not accurate for the names up there. The more likely you are to go, the more I'd like you to provide some information, like when would be best for you, whether it's weekend or weekdays, and whereabouts you're going to be as far as finances. Meaning, do you NEED to get lodging at 20 a night? Are you going to be living on street food, or would a group meal be plausible in the 30 dollar range? Would you be able/willing to contribute to a helper pot for other members? What are a couple things you definitely want to do, whether it's as a full group or not? Ellis Island? UN? TDS/TCR? Shopping? (for what?). You certainly don't have to answer any or all of these questions in the thread, although I'd prefer you at least answer everything but the financial stuff here, since it'll help others sort out priorities. Please PM with me stuff you'd rather keep on the downlow.

I know it sounds early to talk about this stuff, and a lot of things will probably change as the time passes, but this is a major event to be arranging, and it's not some anime convention where if you don't like the dates and schedule, you can just eat it. We are going to call this a convention, but every one of you that's coming will have say in when it is, how long it is, what we do, and what budget we try to work in.

As for the name, we need one. Suggestions thus far have been vIRGinCon, RoseCon, and NYCon. The first one, which is my favorite, unfortunately is right out, since we're trying to get parents to let their 15 year olds go, and I'm guessing a direct reference to sex ain't the way to do it. emot-frown NYCon is cool, but I keep thinking ahead to doing this again, and it'd be neat to have a consistent name for our conventions, like this would be WhateverCon '08, the next '09, etc.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#108 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:22:51 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Giovanna wrote:

Oh I am in! Since this is a convention, have we maybe though about looking into a hotel that might host us? I know sometimes they are nice to cut down on costs, and that woud give us common ground (Not to mention a meeting area.) Though it could possibly be the most expensive thing to ever mention . . . I'm not sure . . . Richmond's economy is rather different than New York.

But I have a name, Ohtori United.

you said

#109 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:34:10 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Budget accommodations for me, I've already contacted Mocha. I think I already mentioned my schedule, but once again, May 9 through June 9 are all open for me, so it's all one to me whether it's weekends or weekdays. I would like it to go on for as long as possible up to a week, but I understand three days may be all that's feasible. I might try to make individual arrangements for a longer stay.

For events, I'm still wanting Ellis Island and the Staten Island Ferry...I'm afraid I do want to actually set foot on Ellis Island if this isn't hugely inconvenient. I also am interested in the Rose Center, and the Sex Museum Raven mentioned, although this may not be possible for our younger members.

Regarding funds, I'm trying to cut corners where possible, but I could manage one nice dinner, and I'd like that too. I could probably scrape up a bit for some kind of helper pot, but probably no more than $100.

And I'd be perfectly willing to be on call, but you could fit what I know about New York inside a thimble and still have room for you and me. If there's any way I can still help out, I'm eager to do so. I can probably learn a little bit about streets and such in the meantime.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#110 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:40:29 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Not wanting to be a waste of a post in this thread, but after reading it all...

I wish. =\

#111 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:43:47 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Sevelle wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Oh I am in!

That's great! If you can travel an hour and a half north to DC, maybe we could ride up on the same bus. The bus takes you right into Manhattan to the Port Authority. I get free bus tickets through my stepdad.

Giovanna wrote:

I know it sounds early to talk about this stuff, and a lot of things will probably change as the time passes, but this is a major event to be arranging, and it's not some anime convention where if you don't like the dates and schedule, you can just eat it. We are going to call this a convention, but every one of you that's coming will have say in when it is, how long it is, what we do, and what budget we try to work in.

Yes, moderate but I usually stay in the Theater District. I've done most of the touristy stuff before and would be willing to do anything anyone else wanted to do. I'd like to try some new food places and go to the Met. A weekend would be better for me but weekdays might be okay depending on which week. I'd be willing to be a contact person as well.

#112 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:50:52 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Here's my thing, I'm willing to forgo staying at a Hilton resort for a better location. If that means taking a bigger chunk of the hotel stay that doesn't bother me if you guys are okay. If Carlton is going to be 180 a night, then three ways that's 60 a night split evenly, or I can take an extra 20 which would knock you guys down to fifty each, which is still pretty decent (not as good as 50 evenly, granted, but still...). The only thing is I want a private bath. This is non negotiable. If I cannot have my own bathroom in my own room, I will not to go to New York.

My budget won't be very tight, to be honest. I've already been planning two trips for next year, this will just be moving up one set of dates.  I'm still going to call because there's a chance that I'll get the Lexington one or the Millenium which I think is right off Times Square. If not, well... I dunno, we'll figure this all out. I do want to book rooms as soon as possible though.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#113 | Back to Top08-05-2007 10:57:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Alright, I've done some very basic poking around, and it's looking like there are potentially enough people here to be able to get a group rate in a hostel (usually 10+), or at the very least enough of us to rent entire dorms at a hostel so you're only packed in and sharing a bathroom with other IRGers (usually 6-8). If this is an option you guys might be able to get as low as 20 a night, up to about 40. These are the ones that looked the best to me.

http://www.broadwayhotelnyc.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

http://www.hinewyork.org/rooms.shtml

http://www.1291.com/

http://www.wanderersinn.com/ (Two locations, they demand everyone provide passports though, even Americans.)

http://www.jazzhostels.com/ (This one also requires passport.)

Actually you know what, I'll get into this more once you guys have suggested it's an option. The vast majority of these places want passports, even if you're American. So if you're interested in this, in case mocha's lands us too far away or something, say so and mention if you have a passport/are willing to have one made, because if not having one narrows our options quite a bit.

Group rates at proper hotels require far more people be in, usually 5 rooms. This is going to be a problem since most hotels are going to run you like 200 a night, so there won't be enough people to a room to get it as low as many of you need it. emot-frown

#114 | Back to Top08-05-2007 11:04:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dani wrote:

I'd like to try some new food places

AWESOME. That's one other person Yasha and I can drag to WHAT THE FUCK I CAN'T EVEN PRONOUNCE THAT places. cool cool cool

Mocha, if it's not too much trouble, do call about the ones in Manhattan. I would say we're on the right track if we can keep everyone's share at 50-60 a night. I think for the opportunity to stay at a Hilton hotel instead of a complete dreck mattress on floor place, most of us can manage to scrape up another hundred or so. I know a lot of you are going to be on a budget but I'd really hate to see you guys stuck an hour and a half out of Manhattan. That's a lot of transit time. emot-frown Also, I agree 1000% on the bathrooms. I haven't even taken it into account as a possibility that you all would be in shared ones, just that you might be sharing ones with each other.

#115 | Back to Top08-05-2007 11:11:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh yeah, and dates. I'd been playing with May 23-25th because of Shattered's schedule, but then I realized the 26th is the last Monday in May. We are definitely not doing this Memorial Day weekend, travel, lodging, everything will be a damn nightmare and more expensive to boot. So there's the week before and after. May 16-18th, and May 30-June 1, these are all Fri-Sun. I'd prefer May 16th, but Shattered's school doesn't roll that way, so I'm guessing a few of you will have this problem. I'm 80% sure it'll be one of these two dates, so please start providing input there.

#116 | Back to Top08-05-2007 11:19:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Giovanna wrote:

The list above is obviously not complete yet, and probably not accurate for the names up there. The more likely you are to go, the more I'd like you to provide some information, like when would be best for you, whether it's weekend or weekdays, and whereabouts you're going to be as far as finances. Meaning, do you NEED to get lodging at 20 a night? Are you going to be living on street food, or would a group meal be plausible in the 30 dollar range? Would you be able/willing to contribute to a helper pot for other members? What are a couple things you definitely want to do, whether it's as a full group or not? Ellis Island? UN? TDS/TCR? Shopping? (for what?). You certainly don't have to answer any or all of these questions in the thread, although I'd prefer you at least answer everything but the financial stuff here, since it'll help others sort out priorities. Please PM with me stuff you'd rather keep on the downlow.

To answer some of the questions... About the day of the week, it's actually really important for me that this would be on a weekend. By May, I'll be near the end of my Junior Year, which means that I'll be dealing with finals, SAT's, Junior essays, lots of homework, and those annoying big projects that teachers always seem to put at the end of the year... Spring is also the time when I start freaking out about my grades, if I've been slacking.

Another reason why the weekends are good for me is that I can only miss so many days of school every semester, or else I fail all my courses for that term, which means that I might not be able to take three or four days off for this.

I don't think that money will really be a problem... (*Underaged*) emot-gonk And I'd like to contribute some of my own money to a pot for helping other forum members get there. As for what I'd like to do, I don't know, nor does it particularly matter to me as far as sight seeing goes. I'll probably just join a random group and go wherever they're going. I do, however, demand that we all watch SKU together, but there's a slight chance I won't shut up if any of the episodes happen to be numbers 7, 10, 14, 15, 17, 18, 26, 27, 28, or 29.

#117 | Back to Top08-05-2007 11:33:35 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm there for the what the fucking hell places. The only thing i, I do want to try and get to Chelsea Market, as my parents have already told me that if i don't come back with cheese and bread, I'm not to come back at all. emot-rolleyes

I will call in the next few days but please don't get your hopes too far up, everyone. It's only a chance, and if I can't get the discount online, it's a very slim one. Gio, what other areas are good to ask about, other then to just tell the chick "Manhatten"? Like, specific street names? There's a couple off Jamaica that are coming up, which I've been to (that's where my dad grew up) but I'm not familiar enough where that is in relation to everything else. I'll probably ask him for some advice, too, when I get a chance.

The Shelburne on 37th and Lexington is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PLACE to stay in New York, but it's ranging between 209 (which would be doable) to 299 (which is a little higher then I want, even three ways).

Edit: Everything I've been looking at it is May 26th to June 2nd. I plan on being 5-7 days in NY. Hopefully someone wants to be there a week with me? emot-frown

Last edited by morosemocha (08-05-2007 11:34:44 PM)

#118 | Back to Top08-06-2007 12:04:59 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

I'm there for the what the fucking hell places. The only thing i, I do want to try and get to Chelsea Market, as my parents have already told me that if i don't come back with cheese and bread, I'm not to come back at all. emot-rolleyes

I will call in the next few days but please don't get your hopes too far up, everyone. It's only a chance, and if I can't get the discount online, it's a very slim one. Gio, what other areas are good to ask about, other then to just tell the chick "Manhatten"? Like, specific street names? There's a couple off Jamaica that are coming up, which I've been to (that's where my dad grew up) but I'm not familiar enough where that is in relation to everything else. I'll probably ask him for some advice, too, when I get a chance.

The Shelburne on 37th and Lexington is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PLACE to stay in New York, but it's ranging between 209 (which would be doable) to 299 (which is a little higher then I want, even three ways).

Edit: Everything I've been looking at it is May 26th to June 2nd. I plan on being 5-7 days in NY. Hopefully someone wants to be there a week with me? emot-frown

Yasha and I went to the Chelsea Market. It's quite small and quick to get through but an absolute blast. Try to go in the morning and early afternoon, the bread goes fast. emot-mad We lived on olive bread and prosciutto for like two days after going there. etc-wankgirl

I'd say try to stick to Manhattan, Harlem is just fine. Where in Jamaica I'd say dictates whether that one's a go. Gimmie the addresses, so I can check where these places land as far as subway access? I think that's the important thing here. Where in Manhattan, I could care less, although I'd say anything in the Midtown area will make the most people the happiest. The UWS and Chelsea would be the most remote places. Downtown would be hotsex for me, but that's not likely. emot-frown

The Shelburne might be an option if you can pack in four at time? It'll be one to keep in mind. As for a longer stay, I think Stormcrow wants to hang around in the city longer. Yasha and I will probably be there longer as well.

#119 | Back to Top08-06-2007 01:10:03 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Alright. I'm almost definitely, and this approaches definitely as the price range gets lower and the time gets closer to June. If it winds up near April I probably won't be able to do it because I'm already taking a trip for my birthday that my boss knows about and I'd rather not be gone for two long weekends in a row. To be honest I could do up to 100 a night on the hotel but it'd seriously fuck with any doing things I might be able to participate in.

I'll add what I might want to do once I think about it for a while. I'm kind of phoning in my brain right now.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#120 | Back to Top08-06-2007 01:28:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Gio, I don't understand your big long post (#103).  What is an MTA?  What is the post about?  Something to do with which airports are most convenient to Manhattan?

I can go anytime, and my budget is moderate to strong.  The problem is that I just know that if I'm not rooming in the same hotel as several other people, I won't be able to drag myself to the cool stuff we do.  I'd love to go to the theater -- I've been wanting to see Avenue Q for ages -- but I don't want to go alone, or even meet other IRG'ers at the theater and then go home alone again.  The point of this con for me is hanging out with you guys, and my number-one priority in lodging is making that as easy as possible.  That's why I'm hoping to room with Mocha and her large entourage.

If Mocha's discount is highly sought-after by people on tight budgets, and there are two or three other people who feel the same way I do and are willing to spend some money, we can get another room without Mocha's discount at the same hotel.  Or I'd get a room at the Carlton if there are a few folks besides Gio and Yasha going that route.  But I've got to stay with several other people -- people who naturally incline towards getting out and doing things.

#121 | Back to Top08-06-2007 01:31:28 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If I'm only spending two nights in a hotel, 50 to 60 bucks a night is doable. I'll wait on mocha's results for the discounts in Manhattan, but hey, three or four of us in a room at the Carlton Arms is definitely something I can do. If, ya know, there are two or three other people who all want to share a room with me and each other. I do have a passport so I'm a maybe for the hostel, but really I just want to maximize my time doing awesome stuff and minimize my time spent on buses and subways and whatnot. My time is worth enough to me per hour that I'll pay more to be closer, as long as it's not a huge amount more.

I won't be able to pitch in a pot as such to help out... I'll probably be one of the ones needing the help, but if I see someone hungry and out of cash I'll overdraft my checking account if need be. I bank at a credit union, they're very forgiving. I will be able to shell out a few bucks for at least one nice meal (I love eating) and since I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here before or not... I will try ANYTHING once. If I hate it I'll just chalk it up to experience and not eat it again so anywhere Gio says is good, if I can afford it I'm going.

Obviously I want the later dates, because if it's the earlier ones... the weekend before finals? I'm going to have to study, not party it up in an awesome place with awesome people.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#122 | Back to Top08-06-2007 04:08:25 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Dates, dates, dates... Right after the 21st of May should be pretty much good with me. 4th grade finishes then (or so the Ministry of Science, Education and Sport claims) and while I do have to do some crazy-ass studying after that (and not just for my University entrance exams), a few days of rest with such an awesome crowd, in New York, would be more than ideal. Also, my initial fear of some drama competition being held around that time too, is gone. It's unlikely or near impossible to happen. Yay.

I've checked flight prices a bit (with the help of my bro - thanks!) and the cheapest we found was around 550 € (that's about 760 USD for the flight alone). However, it might amount up to even more, depending on whether I fly with another European IRGer or no. But if that's going to make the said IRGer come, then I don't mind the extra cost. :3 That's all I have for now. Have to wait a week more to actually find out if I'm allowed to go on this trip in the first place. d: I think there's a very good chance of me going, because mother didn't dismiss the idea in the first mention of it.

#123 | Back to Top08-06-2007 04:59:09 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

So it would seem that late May to early June is going to be the optimal date for everyone.

Eventwise, my only requests are Chelsea Market (which I was planning on doing my last day anyway so that the stuff would be moderately fresh for the ride home) and ...

The Met's Costume Institute. I plan on spending a whole day at the Met (seriously, I will be there when it opens and they will drag me kicking and screaming out of it), and so far, after four or five attempts, I've yet to make it on a day when the Costume Institute is open. If it is... well... then you'll get to see mocha speed etc-wankgirl like a geek with a fresh new ewok doll.

The Sex Museum definitely sounds like fun, maybe a group outing? It would certainly be appropriate given how much we yapyapyap about that sort of stuff. I'd also really like to go to the Botanical Gardens if no one has an objection. I want to say they're in the Bronx, but I don't remember; I'll have to ask my dad. We went when I was younger, and it's honestly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. There's this beautiful glass conservatory that in parts looks a little like Anthy's garden. etc-love And there's a beautiful low pool sort of thing with thousands of water lillies. It's really gorgeous.

And Shattered, even if the Hilton thing doesn't work out, you're not rooming with anybody else. I laid a claim to that cute little ass a long time ago. emot-mad

#124 | Back to Top08-06-2007 05:01:57 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Giovanna wrote:

Oh yeah, and dates.

emot-gonk I did my best when "creating" my next year timetable, with the vIRGinCon in mind; I only have two final exams in June, being June 3th and 10th. So, May 30th-June 1st is impossible for me (unless I want to do my exams in September, that's a possibility). May 16-18th would be ok, because I can easily get all these notes.

Still, I need to talk about it with my parents. And save. Well, the former is clearly harder emot-frown

Arki wrote:

However, it might amount up to even more, depending on whether I fly with another European IRGer or no. But if that's going to make the said IRGer come, then I don't mind the extra cost.

I suspect I etc-love you [/romanticism] emot-keke

Last edited by Asfalolh (08-06-2007 06:51:32 AM)

#125 | Back to Top08-06-2007 05:47:07 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

@ Asfalolh :: What can I say... Love makes a person do crazy stuff. ;)

Board footer