This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-21-2007 11:35:14 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: The Lady Nilamarthiel Chronicles, Book One: The Quest for Good Health.

I got... basically the same thing as shattered.
I'm obsessive about keeping my weight UP since when it goes down, it tends to mean I'm losing muscle. (Which I am AUUUGH emot-gonk ) And none of my lady friends understand that. emot-mad

On a random food related note, Vegetables are our friends! But don't boil! Steam!!
(has a potentially terrifying obsession with steamed carrots, and especially broccoli.)

Hey, if you don't have a measuring tape, use a ribbon or cord or something, then mark off how long it is and measure with a ruler or yardstick or something.

But yay! Go for it guys~

#27 | Back to Top12-21-2007 11:37:22 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I absolutely love steamed broccoli. When I was little, it was my favorite food.

I really don't care what the scale says. My (relative) measure of health is the size of my waist. Is this a guy thing? I'm not sure.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#28 | Back to Top12-22-2007 12:27:55 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Because steamed broccoli is magical.

Well, my size aside, I'm actually quite unhealthy, but we can't find a cure yet. emot-frown

...But at least I have steamed broccoli.

#29 | Back to Top12-26-2007 07:08:11 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

So, um.

Christmas is a time for forgiveness, right? Ehhehheh. Yeah. emot-redface

I simply could not resist the cookies and pie and fudge and soda. I fail. emot-frown

Starting back up tomorrow, since the free gym trial kicks in. And I'm going to really get going on this again, I swear. Just need to... y'know... not have sugar or pasta or bread in the house. Eliminate temptation. Yep.

*packs up Hydroxycut Max, bra, and pants*

#30 | Back to Top12-26-2007 07:20:13 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

It happens, Lady N.  The thing is not to give up just because it did. 

While I haven't just done too badly with regard to holiday food, I haven't worked out due to cleaning, hurting from said cleaning, and Christmas celebrations, so I have plenty of guilt of my own.  I'm just trying to remind myself that this will happen from time to time, and there's no time like tomorrow to start working back towards the right path again.

#31 | Back to Top12-26-2007 09:30:01 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The thing you need to remember about healthy living is that what you do on one day typically has almost no impact. What matters are your HABITS. So if you let yourself go on one day, or even two, that's really no big deal. If you routinely let yourself go, that's where trouble comes from. Actually, financial management is the same way. Fundamentally, it has to do with the nature of discipline. If you have a habit of discipline, that doesn't go away from one or two lapses, and if you have a habit of being careless, that doesn't go away if you remain disciplined once or twice. The trend is all that matters.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#32 | Back to Top12-27-2007 12:40:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

The thing you need to remember about healthy living is that what you do on one day typically has almost no impact.

Truth. Actually I would add to that that my diet has been successful I think especially because I allowed for lapses. You can't diet non-stop 24/7/365 without driving yourself bonkers, and it's unfair to yourself to do that. I think a mistake a lot of 'for life' dieters make is becoming too rigorous about refusing themselves treats. There is a world, a very big world, of fucking amazing food. Some of it is actually pretty diet friendly. (See: Vietnamese Pho.) A lot of it is really just not. (See: Anything French.) Swearing off a whole huge portion of the food available for tasting and appreciating is like saying you're only ever going to have sex missionary. Boo. Sometimes you need to bend over and take it dirty and get some greasy fast food or pork-laden French fare or a mercilessly chocolately sweet dessert.

Over time, you'll find your need and desire for such things lessens to a pretty healthy amount anyway, when you stop looking at them as naughty indulgences to shame over and pound into your mouth on your 'off day'. I used to be able to eat a box of Oreos or a huge bag of potato chips. I just can't anymore. My stomach has reduced its size to accomodate smaller, healthier portions, and that much sweet or that much grease becomes nauseating to me. Your tastes really do change to fit your habits over time. The other warning, which follows from this, is don't eat the same things over and over. I don't care how healthy tuna is and how much you love it, if you eat it every single day you're going to hate it forever. There are a couple foods I used to rather like but I dieted so rigorously with them that it's now disgusting to me.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#33 | Back to Top12-27-2007 12:54:03 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

YES. EXACTLY.

Caps lock aside, it's really true. I now prefer skim milk and reduced-fat cheese, yogurt, et cetera. (most people think I'm nuts for this) Really you learn to like what you're used to, but common sense dictates Gio's disclaimer of if you eat the same thing every day, you'll get sick of it.

And as for the French... France is not the fattest country in Europe. That dubious honor goes to the UK. (If I recall, Germany is the runner-up.) Why is this? Yes, they eat rich foods, but they understand the concept of portion control.

Ultimately the only thing that dictates weight gain or loss is calories consumed relative to calories expended. There's a lot more to it than that if you want to look at health, but health and body composition aside that's all there is to it if you want to shrink. Really, I think it's healthier to be heavier and active than to be a thin couch potato. I read something in the newspaper that said basically that, but of course I didn't save it and now I don't even remember when it was published.

#34 | Back to Top12-29-2007 12:11:15 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Gym day today! I was supposed to go yesterday and the day before, but mum was here yesterday and I wanted to spend time with her, and the day before... well, I hadn't slept. And I fell asleep around the time I was supposed to wake up. And woke up hours later, waaaay too late to go to the gym. Whatever.

TIP OF THE DAY: Never ever ever ever ever skip breakfast. If you want something light, make yourself an omelette made out of two egg whites and pair it with a piece of fruit [no banana/watermelon/pineapple]. It'll keep you going with the protein and nutrients without being bulky. This is v. v. good.

Now to do homework so that I am actually ALLOWED to go to the gym today... ;.;

#35 | Back to Top12-29-2007 12:29:32 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

The breakfast thing has always confused me, since it always makes me sick eating early. emot-frown
I still always manage to get in plenty of meals though.

I love breakfast. Why does it hate me so? emot-gonk

I also think that if at all possible, you should take a gym buddy/spotter/hostage.
Makes things more fun.
Of course that isn't possible for alot of people.
...Like me, who almost never goes to the gym because of it...

#36 | Back to Top12-29-2007 12:33:34 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

My god! Nila, your qualities are admirable. I will proudly support you, because you are doing this for yourself, and they entail my beliefs that to start a revolution, you yourself must be the revolution.

Last edited by Persephone (12-29-2007 12:34:53 PM)

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#37 | Back to Top12-29-2007 12:39:11 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Persephone: HEE! Thank you so much! etc-love *pulls the Scale of Dios from Anthy* FOR THE POWER OF LIFE REVOLUTION!

Allegorist: I would, but for a month, it costs $40 a person, so I dubowt that my friend Birdy could afford coming with me. I only have my grandmaw and grandpaw. ;o;

As for breakfast, it does the same to me, generally. I'd try eating one egg white at first, then, and drink a cooling, soothing tea for digestion. Fennel works wonders for me. emot-smile

#38 | Back to Top12-30-2007 11:36:07 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oh, something I read about that may be of interest to you, Lady N - these weird little compounds called guggulesterones. Apparently they stimulate thyroid activity and work very well when paired with weight-loss boosters like Hydroxycut, etc. I don't really know much about them and very little information is available online it seems but it might be worth consulting your physician.

#39 | Back to Top02-09-2008 10:19:52 AM

Mylene

I have a recipe to recommend.  I got it from Gillian McKeith's website (woman who does the BBC show "You Are What You Eat"), and it's really delicious.  I just made it for lunch, and it was quite a surprising treat.

---

Marinated Baked Salmon Weight Loss Recipe

Ingredients:
2 salmon steaks (high in Omega - 3 fatty acids which help lower cholesterol)
2 cloves garlic - minced (high in the compound 'alicin' which enhances immune system and fights infections)
1 tbsp grated ginger (cleanses blood, liver and kidneys)
˝ lemon (high in vitamin C)
Fresh raw spinach (high in anti-oxidants which fight free radicals in the body cell tissues)
2 fresh raw leeks (detoxes the liver)
Fresh coriander.

Method:
Cut the leeks into approximately 12 chunks.
Steam or boil leeks for about 5 minutes to gently soften.
Rinse and dry the salmon. Place a liberal amount of fresh raw spinach in a shallow oven pan.
Place the softened leeks on top of the spinach. Then place the salmon on top of the leeks.
Mix the olive oil, minced garlic and grated ginger together; then brush it over the fish.
Keep extra amounts of the olive oil mixture on hand to brush the fish throughout the cooking process. Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the fish and spinach.
Place into pre-heated oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for approximately 25 minutes. While cooking, brush the olive oil mixture onto the salmon every 10 minutes. If desired, squeeze over more lemon juice too.
If you are feeling bold and adventurous, I recommend that you serve the salmon with Avocado Algae Cream Sauce. Decorate the plate with coriander leaves. If desired, squeeze lemon juice too.

---

The leeks smell pretty bad when they're cooking (I was really getting worried while it cooked), but taste really quite good.  I personally skipped the coriander leaves as I think I'm allergic to them, but did everything else.  The only problem with the recipe is that it doesn't say how much olive oil to use.  I used a bit too much and the fish was just a bit too oily, so I would suggest using just enough to make the mixture into a sort of paste.

Very delicious, and apparently very nutritious.  Plus, it only takes maybe 45 minutes to make, including bake and prep time.

Last edited by Cerise (02-09-2008 10:20:08 AM)

#40 | Back to Top02-09-2008 10:23:56 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I just wanted to wish you the best with this endeavor. Only good things can come from eating healthier and keeping your body active. Congrats on working hard on this, Lady N!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#41 | Back to Top02-09-2008 11:56:04 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I'm joining this. emot-mad I need to be happy in my body, and I'm just not right now.

Good luck to everyone else who's taking this challenge.

#42 | Back to Top02-09-2008 03:15:13 PM

Mylene

Quick note regarding the recipe I posted a few hours ago: I know a few people here are allergic to onions & garlic (and I think Lady N is one of them?) so be careful with the leeks, they're from a similar vegetable family, so that allergy might cross over. emot-frown

#43 | Back to Top02-10-2008 06:12:29 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Indeed I am, dahrlink. I can't have anything from the onion family. ;o;

As for my quest for health, I've hit a bump in the road. Or something. I can't seem to keep anything down, when it comes to solid food, so I'm only able to eat jello and pudding and broth, and have been doing so for the last week. No notable weight-loss, and I don't really want to lose weight that way.

Does anybody know of any nutritional food that won't make my stomach rebel? ;_______;

#44 | Back to Top02-10-2008 07:08:29 PM

Mylene

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Does anybody know of any nutritional food that won't make my stomach rebel? ;_______;

If you happen to have a juicer, you could always make fresh fruit and veggie juices.  All else failing, maybe get some V-8 to help get the appropriate veggie nutrients while you can't keep things down?  It may taste gross (I haven't had it since I was a kid...) but it should be healthy-ish.  Then again, the onion thing might come back into play, but I'm not sure.  :\

#45 | Back to Top02-11-2008 05:43:24 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

If you can stomach broth, you may be able to have soup as well. It'll help with your vegetable servings,  and as long as you go for the low-sodium stuff it's great to help lose weight.

Plus, I read somewhere that fluids are great when you're not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon, though. emot-frown

#46 | Back to Top02-19-2008 11:29:20 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Remember how I told everyone I was going on this really low-carb diet [like, only 10 carbs a day] for three weeks? Well, I only expected to lose a very small amount of weight, really.

I started two days ago, and I already lost 5 lbs. emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa

And that's with me cheating a little. emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

#47 | Back to Top02-19-2008 05:08:25 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LADY NIL YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

emot-dance etc-love emot-dance etc-love emot-dance etc-love emot-dance

That's awesome, I'm so glad to hear it's working for you. :hugs: The initial weight loss will always be the easiest though. It will get a lot harder, but don't be discouraged. :hugs:

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#48 | Back to Top02-19-2008 06:28:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Holy crap, that's awesome!  emot-dance

Now, don't drive yourself nuts and get on the scale every day or two.

And you say you're limited to 10 carbs a day? Once you get out of that phase, you gradually move up, right? Actually, a better question is whether this is a modified Atkins  or some sort of slightly altered South Beach plan?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#49 | Back to Top02-19-2008 07:47:01 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Hee! My mother made up this diet, and it's very healthy. She lost 60-some pounds in two months before, when I was eleven. Basically, it's eating a lot of salad, a lot of meat, and a lot of cheese, and a lot of other various veggies. No fruit other than ONE strawberry [which makes me saaad], no grain [saaad], no taters [saaad], no sugar [saaad], and no dairy other than cheese [saaad]. But! It's working spectacularly. And sugarfree gum is my friend, so is diet Coke with lime, and so diet Vernors. And water. And cuuucumber. And powdered veggies that I put in my water. Yummm, Jade Greenzymes. etc-love

#50 | Back to Top02-19-2008 08:21:07 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Go girl go and Good luck emot-dance  I so need to do something as I can feel my ass spreading as I type.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (02-19-2008 08:21:24 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

Board footer