This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-01-2007 06:08:51 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Home Remedies

I absolutely love collecting home remedies for some unknown reason, so if any of you know any, please tell them to me!

My favorite one, for skin care treatement:

One part brown sugar, three parts water, smooth over face or any other pimply/rough area of skin, wait til it dries, or overnight if it's really bad.
Wash it off, and then you'll have most of your pimples gone, and your face will be softer.  I have not found a more effective skin care thing yet.
Be sure to moisturize afterwords, because it can dry out your face.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#2 | Back to Top02-01-2007 06:31:58 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Re: Home Remedies

Weird. My family has the same treatment, only with lemon juice. Probably because we come  from a long line of women with oily skin. I don't know what to say about it but I've always used it and my skin is one of my favourite features.

I can't think of anything else right off, other than the fact that my family has a bad habit of performing self-surgery on themselves (that's KIND OF a remedy, right?) My grandfather has some great stories about home dentistry, but the one I remember most is walking into the bathroom once to see my mom with an ice pack and a butcher knife trying to remove one of her moles. Worked too.

Me, I try to ride out EVERYTHING with hot baths and cold fluids.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#3 | Back to Top02-01-2007 07:40:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I used to be something of a herbalist, actually, and I knew a few home remedies for various skin problems, colds, things like that. At the moment, I can only remember a couple.

For a cold with a sore throat, hot water and lemon juice, with a bit of honey. It helps to soothe the throat. Also for a cold, eat foods with a lot of garlic in them.

For nausea, slice up gingerroot and make a ginger infusion. Add honey as a sweetener if desired.

For pain relief, chew willow bark, or make an infusion and drink it (straining out the bark, of course).

For a simple skin lotion, buy glycerine from your local drug store, and mix (I believe) two parts glycerine to one part rose water. It will be runny, but it works like love.

For a deep detoxifying mask, mix one part honey and one part plain organic yogurt. This mask is very detoxifying, bringing any oils and impurities up to the surface of your skin, so it can actually cause pimples. The idea is to keep doing it daily until the pimples are gone-- then your skin is clear of any infection or oil buildup.

For a very mild cleanser, use one part lavendar flowers, one part rose petals, and three to four parts ground oatmeal. Keep a small amount in a cotton bag in the shower, and when you use it, soak it in water and use the bag itself as a gentle exfoliator and the 'milk' that runs from it as a facial wash. This is very mild, and very good for your skin, as the lavendar and rose are soothing, and the oatmeal is excellent for problem skin. Myself, I used to add witch hazel as well, to balance out my oily skin.

I'll post a few more later, if anyone's interested. Myself, when I stopped having the time for this, I started to buy from Lush. Their recipes were very similar to mine.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top02-02-2007 08:01:10 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

Mine aren't really remedies, so to speak, but I do know for a fact that these work.

If you're anything like me, you're sometimes pressed for time in the morning, and had done a load of laundry overnight to get some clean clothing for the next day. Since I despise wearing damp clothing to wherever I'm going, I needed a way to get a set of clothing (pair of jeans, undies, and a shirt, usually; not the whole load) dry before I have to leave. That's when I throw in a dry towel with my chosen pair or clothing.  For whatever reason, it gets them dry quicker than just drying the clothes by themselves.

Another one, and my favorite, is making hard cookies, cake, etc soft. Nearly break your tooth biting into a cookie? Put the cookies (or whatever it is) into an airtight container with a slice of bread (large quantities of goodies may require a second slice). As the bread gets stale, the cookies get soft. I left a single cookie in with a piece of bread for a few days, and when I opened the container to get the cookie, it had returned to a dough-like state. I loves me some soft cookies. emot-biggrin

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#5 | Back to Top02-02-2007 01:13:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dematrah wrote:

soft cookies

Ohhh I like this. cool I'll try it out someday.

As for me...hrm. My big one is olive oil in the hair! Sitting around the house? Braid it up in some oil and when you wash it out you have like sex soft hair. Also, I've never been massaged with actual massage oils, but mixing olive oil in with a little aveeno lotion or something leaves my skin like unholy soft. To the point where I just sit like an idiot and paw myself. Hah!

Other than that I don't really know of any fancy home remedies. Although the honey and yogurt thing sounds like a good idea. I don't get pimples much (actually hardly ever) but there's enough oil on my skin to make fries. emot-gonk

My only other one is knowing that the temperature of your body can best be altered by heating or cooling your neck, so if you're feverish and want to cool down, it's  better to put the cool cloth on your neck than your forehead.

Also if you bite your lip and open it up, use Listerine like non-stop or you'll get a canker sore. I usually screw this up and spend a week miserable and pissy. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top02-02-2007 02:10:55 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Something interesting my mom told me!

Have pesky toenail fungus and don't want to spend hoards of money buying a prescription? Just buy a jar of Vick's VapoRub! When used daily, it can get rid of fungus in about a month or so!

Last edited by Emiemipoemi (02-02-2007 02:11:15 PM)

#7 | Back to Top02-02-2007 02:21:46 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

For skin infections, we tend to use a hot tea of rosemary and garlic cloves as a soak.  Use for infections on hands and feets, hotpacks for styes, that sort of thing.

For sore throats, hot rosemary tea.  Drink as hot as you can.  Will help reduce inflammation and draw the infection.

Comfrey extracts in beeswax get used around our house for really dry skin and eczema.

Lavender tea for anxiety.  (I have an organic lavender and rose tea called "La Vie En Rose" by a company called La Cour Tisane that works well for this.)

Sage essential oil helps cut down the lifespan of mouth ulcers (canker sores), and also helps with gingivitis pain when smeared on the gums.

Dong quai (Chinese angelica) works like a dream for my PMS.  It's the key ingredient in our favorite miracle tea, Women's Moon Cycle Tea by Yogi Teas, and I've also taken it in capsules.  The capsules work great, but have a tendency to just Stop my period from happening.  I have to take it *just* for the PMS, then stop.  Our local natural foods store has dong quai tea, and I really should give it a try.

Also, if you're really cold?  Try a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a small amount (like, enough to fill a shotglass) of cream or half-and-half.  Z Budapest has this in one of her books as a way to warm oneself up for outdoor ritual, and it works at other times too.

We've got a lot of herbal sorts of things just integrated in our lifestyle, so sometimes I forget them all.

#8 | Back to Top02-02-2007 02:56:36 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

Baby Oil works wonders for dandruff and split ends. Leave in for a good half-hour (careful not to get it on furniture and stuffs), then wash your hair a couple times and condition. Dandruff usually disappears for me, my split ends are more manageable, my hair is SUPER-soft and extra sleek.

We need more remedies! I'm very much liking this. emot-dance

#9 | Back to Top02-02-2007 03:21:50 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

One question about baby oil, how many babies does it take to make up a bottle of baby oil anyway? school-sherlock

#10 | Back to Top02-02-2007 03:54:33 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

It can't be TOO many. We still have a lot of people running around. emot-tongue

#11 | Back to Top02-02-2007 04:02:37 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Here's my very simple remedie.

WINDEX

CURES

EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I'm not even kidding.  It's amazing if you've got cuts or anything.  But don't overuse it, as it tends to dry the skin up.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#12 | Back to Top02-02-2007 04:25:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Um... drink water when getting smashed to prevent hangovers? I use a few of these listed already, like the hot water-lemon infusion for sore throats.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#13 | Back to Top02-02-2007 04:47:08 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Dematrah wrote:

It can't be TOO many. We still have a lot of people running around. emot-tongue

I wonder if they squeeze the oil out like you would juice from an orange?

#14 | Back to Top02-03-2007 12:00:26 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Baby oil's also really good for shaving more sensitive areas.

Keep these coming, these're great! 

Do any of you know if the supposed remedy of egg yolk in hair is actually good for the hair?

#15 | Back to Top02-03-2007 12:04:32 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well, egg yolk is high in cholesterol and cholesterol is sold as a hair-nourishing product...

I've heard that mixing a little bit of strong coffee with your shampoo and leaving it in your hair will darken your hair a little bit. Can anyone verify this?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#16 | Back to Top02-03-2007 12:10:50 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Coffee will darken your hair a bit, yes. Lemon juice + sunlight (like out in the sun sunlight) will bleach it. There's one for red, too, but I don't remember it.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#17 | Back to Top02-03-2007 12:12:55 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

I've heard mayonnaise is good for your hair.

#18 | Back to Top02-03-2007 12:50:32 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I've heard that too-- to mix it with olive oil and use it as a hair mask. I've always been wary about that, though.

The reason it's good is because it's made mostly of eggs, I believe.

#19 | Back to Top02-03-2007 05:18:11 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Believe it or not, a mixture of beer and eggs= a really amazing shampoo.

#20 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:07:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Drinking hot sauce will unclog your nose and sorta give you your sense of taste back when you have a cold. school-eng101

So says me, I just did it. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#21 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:11:26 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Drinking hot sauce will unclog your nose and sorta give you your sense of taste back when you have a cold. school-eng101

So says me, I just did it. cool

Same goes for wasabi, I do believe.

#22 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:39:14 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

drinking tons of cranberry juice is good for and early UTI (urinary tract infection)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#23 | Back to Top02-03-2007 09:33:55 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yogurt is also very good for a UTI.

#24 | Back to Top02-03-2007 10:16:48 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

For some reason, I'm insanely allergic to yogert.  If I eat it in a recipee, I'm gone for at least three days, puking and cramping and writhing in pain.  If I eat it on purpose, it's more like a week.

I get these horrible circles under my eyes accompained by a noticable bumped ridge area type thing.  I've read that drinking water will make it go away, but it's only helping a little bit.

Does anyone know any remedies?

Last edited by Iris (02-03-2007 10:17:23 PM)

#25 | Back to Top02-03-2007 11:16:08 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Everyone tells me how wonderful garlic is for heart problems and well, everything, though garlic makes me die. I can't breathe after I eat it, I'm gone for at least a day and its oh so delicious and in everything. emot-frown

I think its the acidophilus and other bacteria that make yogurt good. I think something in cranberry helps bad bacteria to not stick to the bladder or something.

Mints and ginger are supposedly good for your stomach and velerian and passion flower are good for stress and sleep. Astrogalousand  Echinacea are said to be good for your immune system. Ashwagandha is supposedly good for your immune system, memory and all sorts of good things.

Those are the only ones that are at the top of my head at the moment.

Board footer