This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top12-30-2006 09:06:01 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

*BWAHAHA-s at comic X3 *

I for one also demand more show Anthy/Utena emot-mad

...I think our freetime has become idle-time X___x

#127 | Back to Top12-30-2006 01:07:38 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Another one!
This time I actually drew background (a very sloppy one). emot-dance
Context: I suppose you could place this in the beginning of the series.

...well the whole concept of 'engagement' begs to used like this, so how could I not?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/maarika/sku3.jpg

emot-gonk And I sort of regret starting doing these... 'cause now I can't stop. But what's worse is that even if I had the ideas (I actually have a few more, hehehe) then in a week I'll be back to school so I'll have absolutely no time for any drawing. That sucks so much. emot-mad

The next one isn't coloured yet, I think I'll do it tomorrow. Though I really, REALLY shouldn't abuse my time anymore. I was supposed to study for my exams and read about 10 books. So far I haven't studied anything and I've finished only one book. *siiiiigh* This is how I've spent half of my precious time.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#128 | Back to Top12-30-2006 04:54:27 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maarika wrote:

...well the whole concept of 'engagement' begs to used like this, so how could I not?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/maarika/sku3.jpg

Of cause she will have a hard time turning Anthy into a normal girl, Utena isn't exactly normal herself. emot-biggrin

#129 | Back to Top12-30-2006 05:05:48 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Maarika wrote:

*SKU Sims Fanart*

That's the best thing ever! XD

#130 | Back to Top12-30-2006 07:58:37 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Utena + 4-panel comic = win!

Oh yeah.. I meant to ask... are those all digital?  The backgrounds look like they were done in Photoshop, but how about the figures?

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-30-2006 08:03:13 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#131 | Back to Top12-31-2006 12:21:02 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/someday-shine-together-fini.jpg

Colour~ Yay~
Never tried anything remotely cell shaded like before, but yeah.
Utena's hand makes me cringe inside X___x

That last strip is too perfect. XD
And I second that Utena probably doesn't know much about being a normal girl either. emot-keke'

#132 | Back to Top12-31-2006 12:58:59 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Maarika wins the Internet. etc-love

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#133 | Back to Top12-31-2006 03:50:27 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Yay, I win internet! emot-dance

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Oh yeah.. I meant to ask... are those all digital?  The backgrounds look like they were done in Photoshop, but how about the figures?

They're all coloured in GIMP (as are all my other digital drawings). I've been using GIMP ever since my Photoshop went crazy and refused to behave itself.  Anyway, the skecthes are done in pencil and then scanned in. I've never coloured a comic digitally before, so I'm learning many things in the progress. The lineart is so crappy though, I've been thinking of starting to ink them but I'm so lazy.

allegoriest wrote:

Utena/Anthy picture

Your cel shading attempt is way better than mine. My first attempt didn't even resemble cel shading. Anyway, the coloured version is so pretty! etc-love

Oh and Razara, I was thinking of doing one about Juri and her Bricky, but I still need to gather some ideas for that. ;D

#134 | Back to Top12-31-2006 09:42:47 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Maarika wrote:

They're all coloured in GIMP (as are all my other digital drawings). I've been using GIMP ever since my Photoshop went crazy and refused to behave itself.  Anyway, the skecthes are done in pencil and then scanned in. I've never coloured a comic digitally before, so I'm learning many things in the progress. The lineart is so crappy though, I've been thinking of starting to ink them but I'm so lazy.

Yay for The GIMP...  I use that for creating graphics for my website and whenever I put a desktop wallpaper together (and forum avatars and signature images too emot-biggrin ), so I've gotten pretty familiar with it.  And when I was taking design classes, they were in Photoshop (of course), but not having the hundreds of dollars to buy it, I went the free route.  It's a great program.

And now, I need to stop talking and start trying to draw something!  I want to participate in these fanart threads, but thus far have lacked the motivation to attempt drawing... emot-frown

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-31-2006 09:43:32 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#135 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:10:21 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Yay for The GIMP...  I use that for creating graphics for my website and whenever I put a desktop wallpaper together (and forum avatars and signature images too emot-biggrin ), so I've gotten pretty familiar with it.  And when I was taking design classes, they were in Photoshop (of course), but not having the hundreds of dollars to buy it, I went the free route.  It's a great program.

I absolutely love GIMP! etc-love It shows that it's made for a different OS than Windows, but it's a very good thing! I like how you can switch between all windows and dialog boxes at any time without having to close anything or getting annoying error messages. I think it was designed for lazy people like me.

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

And now, I need to stop talking and start trying to draw something!  I want to participate in these fanart threads, but thus far have lacked the motivation to attempt drawing... emot-frown

I would recommend drawing comics. When you draw a comic, you're forced to draw certain things over and over again but that's a great practice. Practicing is the most important aspect about improving your drawing skills. (I believe anyone could learn how to draw if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with being 'talented')

#136 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:22:25 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Maarika wrote:

Oh and Razara, I was thinking of doing one about Juri and her Bricky, but I still need to gather some ideas for that. ;D

I'd suggest either having Juri show her brick to other people, acting as though it were a real pet, or about Juri having Bricky preform a trick. The way that the "trick" works is that several nearby Sims gather around to watch as Juri tells them to watch the trick. All of the nearby Sims look confused as Juri places her hand above the brick, (The same gesture used to teach a real pet to sit up.) Rather than it sitting up on its own, Juri lifts up the brick, and then points at the brick excitedly as though to say, "Did you see that? He sat up all by himself!" Nearby Sims either cheer her on, laugh at her, or boo at her.

#137 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:31:54 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Oh my, now I got a better idea than what I was thinking before. That'll be cruel.
Or perhaps even, cruelly innocent. Hehehe! school-devil

#138 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:38:30 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Maarika wrote:

Oh my, now I got a better idea than what I was thinking before. That'll be cruel.

My favorite kind of cruelty. :3

#139 | Back to Top12-31-2006 12:05:25 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Maarika wrote:

I absolutely love GIMP! etc-love It shows that it's made for a different OS than Windows, but it's a very good thing! I like how you can switch between all windows and dialog boxes at any time without having to close anything or getting annoying error messages. I think it was designed for lazy people like me.

I used to use it on Windows, and now I use it on OSX... it never fails!

Maarika wrote:

I would recommend drawing comics. When you draw a comic, you're forced to draw certain things over and over again but that's a great practice. Practicing is the most important aspect about improving your drawing skills. (I believe anyone could learn how to draw if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with being 'talented')

Funny you say that... way back in high school, I used to draw a comic strip when I was supposed to be taking notes.  Now, if I can take that approach and contribute to the SKU 4-panel comic world that you just invented (yay!) we may be onto something here.. emot-biggrin

#140 | Back to Top12-31-2006 01:42:39 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

So, after I made that post above I decided to dig out the pencil and paper and have a go at some drawing.  I put on the first OST for some inspiration, and using only the teeny pictures in the booklets for OST1 and OST2 as a guide, here's what I came up with.  The following represents about 45 minutes of work.  I hope you like it!

Now Presenting: the World Premiere of Imaginary Bad Bug's first ever SKU fanart!

Page 1:

I decided to start simple with a few Chuchus to warm up, then I wanted to draw a regular character, so li'l ol' Wakaba (my favorite) was the lucky one to be the first SKU character I would ever draw.

http://ryoohki.home.att.net/misc/fanart/skufanart1.gif

Page 2:

Then, it was time to try some more characters... with varying degrees of success:

http://ryoohki.home.att.net/misc/fanart/skufanart2.gif

Yay for fanart!  Hopefully, I'll keep at it on a somewhat regular basis and I'll get better at it as I go.

#141 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:24:16 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

allegoriest wrote:

And I second that Utena probably doesn't know much about being a normal girl either. emot-keke'

Nonsense! Utena is a totally normal girl who just wants a totally normal boy. emot-wink

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-31-2006 02:24:28 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#142 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:33:06 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Those comics are genuine gold! emot-biggrin

Here's an old Utena drawing I did that I completely forgot about!
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/407 … ort%3Atime

#143 | Back to Top12-31-2006 05:39:05 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Those comics are genuine gold! emot-biggrin

Here's an old Utena drawing I did that I completely forgot about!
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/407 … ort%3Atime

I find all the shades of pink to be drool-worthy.

Laurie

#144 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:02:30 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Maarika wrote:

...I'm afraid. And more than anything else I want to see this comic.

#145 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:05:15 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

You better be! I'll start with it tomorrow. I can't promise I'll finish it tomorrow though.

And here's the next one coloured (I draw two of them at once, but colouring takes longer, if you haven't noticed yet). This is quite random and has no point really, but it was my first time drawing Nanami so I had fun. school-devil

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/maarika/sku4.jpg

I would have to try very hard to come up with cheaper backgrounds than these here.

#146 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:42:07 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Thank you for all your nice comments. *blush*

"Akio-san... What's under those shoes is even nicer." Lovely, lovely comics. Yay for slightly opened Akio shirt. n_n I love sketchy style! If it didn't take so long to color, I'd do it myself. Hope you'll be able to balance out school and enriching the Utena Fanart World.

#147 | Back to Top01-01-2007 12:17:38 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Hahahaha, I totally agree with Akio on the movie! I was like "what the heck that's not him!" Amazing. emot-dance

#148 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:24:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-redface He offered me wine... etc-love

I love these comics. Please write them forever. emot-keke I especially like that movie Akio is an 'evil twin', given some of the conversations we've been having elsewhere about evil. school-devil

I hope I'm not crossing a line saying this, you'll forgive me I hope. But I can actually see your art improve every time you draw something new. It's awesome. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#149 | Back to Top01-01-2007 08:19:43 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I guess that's the closest Akio gets to just right-out saying, "Nice shoes. Wanna fuck?" school-devil

God, these comics are amazing.

Hat Mafia Member

#150 | Back to Top01-02-2007 12:39:02 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

In addition to being a very gifted artist, you are a comic genius. I'm eagerly awaiting the comic that you were planning.

And your last panel is spot-on. That wasn't Akio in the movie at all. Akio would not fall out a window and die.

Board footer