This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-23-2013 08:23:28 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

The Ohtori Academy Project

After debating with myself whether this is really a good idea (much like whether a girl can really become a prince), I decided to stop spamming up the Minecraft thread and instead show my progress in its own thread.

For those uninitiated: I've chosen to construct a replica of Ohtori Academy in Minecraft. Using screenshots from the show, little tidbits of knowledge of the campus layout, and pure guesswork, the majority of the locations in Revolutionary Girl Utena will be transformed into ugly pixelated blocks that will look sorta kinda like the original. Maybe. I hope.

At this point, I am experimenting with the world to see what can be rendered faithfully into the Minecraft medium and what will require a little bit of creativity. Here are my works in progress:

The Spiral Staircase
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/stairs2_zpsc0a11668.jpg

Knowing that this would be the most difficult part, I decided to start with this monster. The first few loops have been completed, to find out whether I could make the spiral look natural. Some experimentation still needs to be done with different widths of the central pillar. But I managed to meet my goal and created a nice decent staircase which would eventually lead to the Dueling Arena

Here is the staircase from Utena's point of view, complete with a few trees:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/stairs3_zpsb96eeb42.jpg

In the final version, the goal is to have the trees completely block out the sky and surrounding landscape. This has the dual purpose of making the forest look more gloomy and hiding the Dueling Arena which I plan to build about seven or eight loops up from ground level.

The Rose Garden
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/garden3_zps86f07f50.jpg

We can't have the setting of Revolutionary Girl Utena without a place for the Rose Bride to tend to her roses. Eventually, I will change the standard Wood texture so that we can have a nice white picket fence surrounding it. This shot was taken while testing out various colours of stained glass. What I've decided is to use light blue glass for most of the dome except for the bottom two levels which will be cyan. This will hopefully help generate the illusion that there is greenery inside. Which is important because there is:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/garden4_zpsa78eca2d.jpg

The Rose Gate
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/rosegate1_zps0a532fea.jpg

Try to imagine that there are trees behind this. And that the skeleton will be replaced with this. And that water is falling from the sides.

Actually, you don't have to imagine that last bit. Because a handy switch opens the door, along with a pair of floodgates, turning the scene into this:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/rosegate3_zpsb6a01dfe.jpg

And thank you again to Satyreyes who helped me figure out how to get rid of that ugly redstone torch you see there. No Ohtori student should ever look at something like that, no matter how functional it may be. Once I actually remember to, I'll have to put up a screenshot of the new version.

Mikage's Elevator
The idea here was that Minecraft doesn't really support traditional elevators. What's more, with this elevator, the contents tend to change somewhat. So I had to do something that simulated an elevator while also trying to go "deeper". The solution that I came up with was using a portal to the Nether located in the wall that's behind the camera.

So, here's the elevator on the surface:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/hellevator1_zps1a1adf4e.jpg

And here it is at the bottom floor:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/hellevator2_zps37f711f3.jpg

With no real equivalent of a butterfly at this time, I've temporarily gone with the severed head of a Creeper for the surface level. The leaf on the bottom is a fern.

As a bonus, here's the view from the outside, where we'll eventually have the mausoleum. When complete, it will have paintings scattered all about, depicting the Crest of the Black Rose, along with a few empty holes, those coffins that had already been burned, looking out into the fiery depths of the Nether.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/hellevator3_zpsa13ab7b3.jpg

Latest project: The Foundations of the Classroom Building
Originally, my next step was going to be to test out the Dueling Arena floor. I realized very quickly that, in order to do that, I had to first figure out the dimensions of Akio's living quarters. And then I realized that I would have to figure out the dimensions of the penis tower's base beforehand. And, do do that, I'd have to get a grasp on the dimensions of everything else on the campus.

So, I began with the dimensions of something that I already knew: The Rose Garden. I plopped down a circle in some empty ground, the size of the garden's base. With that as my starting point, I built the foundations of the southern classroom building. It's at this point that I realized the scope of the task that I'm undertaking...

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/classrooms_zps62500a8b.jpg

On the top right, you can see the circle that represents the Rose Garden. On the left, a mockup I created to determine the correct size of a classroom. And, all along the back, the edge of the visible world. I don't think my computer will be up to this challenge. As if that will stop me!

As I continue to work on all the little fiddly bits all over the place, I'll post with more updates.

The next task at hand: How the hell am I going to simulate the elevator going up the central tower? And that's not only to the top but to the living quarters and the Student Council chambers. That's right, I want to be as true to the sets as I possibly can. Eris help me...

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#2 | Back to Top11-24-2013 12:06:50 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: The Ohtori Academy Project

Girls can and should become princes, and you could've and should've made this thread. Amazing work, I look forward to seeing the project progress.

#3 | Back to Top11-24-2013 05:52:02 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

This is absolutely amazing. Well done, I can't wait to see more!!

#4 | Back to Top11-24-2013 05:17:27 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Seriously Flah, thanks for posting this thread. This project was getting a little lost in the Minecraft thread, and it deserves more attention. Fantastic work!

I wonder if there are other games we could do this in?

....oh god, I did not just think of Dwarf Fortress. I so didn't. I will not do that. emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top11-24-2013 06:50:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

My god.

It's beautiful. It's...it's exactly why I stay away from Minecraft. MORE. This is way more hardcore than Sims.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top11-24-2013 08:47:06 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/elevator_zpsdd45cd1d.jpg

So... What is this... thing?

This is Tower Elevator Mk VI.

Mk I didn't move at all. Mk II did move but it didn't move back. Mk III was flawed from the concept stage and should simply be stricken from the record. Mk IV did move, didn't move back, and when I tried to use it again, stopped moving entirely. (Then that castle burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp)

It's at this point that I decided to look up ways to build one in Minecraft and came across this video. Using this as a template, I built Mk V... only to discover that it didn't work. However the principle behind it was still good. The end result was Mk VI, what you see above. And I'll be damned if it doesn't work as fast as advertised. My final alternative, if this didn't work, was to use a minecart. And now I have the mental image of stoic Saionji or dignified Akio sitting in a little metal box, hands gripping the rim, face set in a serious expression as they head to a Student Council meeting or the planetarium. Totally worth it.

It doesn't look very pretty right now. But it will once I place some walls in front of the mechanism. The parts that are visible, no matter what, will be dealt with by modifying the texture of the Piston to look like the quartz block. Since I plan to make all of the working parts as invisible as possible, for the sake of aesthetics, this won't cause too much trouble. It's kind of sad that it's not as large as I want it to be, but that's a limitation of what I'm working with.

Now, the weirdness comes in: If you look at the opening shot of Utena walking through the entrance hall of the school in the first episode, you'll notice that we've basically got empty space going right down the middle of the main atrium. So where in the blue blazes do you find the elevator that opens to the centre of the Student Council chamber? This is the point where I realize that I'm going to have to cheat a little bit. I'll begin with elevators on the north and south sides (remember that the hall goes east to west). The Student Council elevator (let's say the north one) will go to just above the ceiling of the atrium where we will reach a hallway. The hall will lead to a second elevator, along the east side, which goes up the rest of the way. The southern elevator will go up to a few levels above that, again go to a hallway leading to the east, and then up farther to the apartments. On the other end will be yet another elevator that goes to the planetarium.

And, because I like to punish myself, I'm going to see if I can figure out a mechanism that makes the windows all around the planetarium shut themselves automatically (and hopefully open back up later). I have a few ideas in my head. We'll see whether any of them actually work (probably not).

Does it feel lonely?

#7 | Back to Top11-24-2013 11:19:36 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Easier than I thought, apparently. At first I was like emot-confused. And then I was like emot-aaa. And then, after the first experiment, I was like emot-dance.

The big challenge with an elevator is that you're technically just moving empty space up and taking your character with it. For the longest time, I thought I'd have to do something similar with the windows at the top of the tower. I'd looked at a few videos of people building these immensely complicated mechanisms for large doorways. And then I saw one that made things click for me. An immense door being pushed to the side before the sand blocks that shoved it over are dropped down into nothingness. I'm not dealing with doors or elevators that actually interact with the character! All I'm doing is turning a window into a wall! It's not like we have to walk through it, after all.

So, using a few pistons, quartz, and glass, I cobbled together this little contraption, with a simple window, three blocks tall and one block wide.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/window1_zpsef378089.jpg

Most of that will be hidden behind pillars and/or ceilings and floors, of course. I didn't even realize how appropriate it was that the sun was rising when I took this screenshot. Imagine Akio sleeping on his couch after a long night of robbing the cradle. The sun gets in his eyes but he wants to stay in bed until at least noon. So, he hits a button and the sunlight is no longer a problem:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/window2_zpsb672214c.jpg

Just... y'know... imagine that being one of a dozen or so huge arched windows around an immense circular room. Still, this means that it works the way it's supposed to. A huge improvement over my struggles with Tower Elevators Mk I through V.

Well, I think that's the last of the major technological hurdles. Now it's time for me to go back to the building foundations so that I can properly guage the sizes of my buildings. I imagine this will range somewhere between big and gigantic.

Until next time!

Does it feel lonely?

#8 | Back to Top11-25-2013 11:43:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Nice contraptions!!  Elevators are so frustrating in Minecraft.  No matter how good you are with redstone, the mechanisms take up a ton of space, and God save you if you want it to connect more than two floors.  Brilliant idea to retexture the pistons to look like quartz!  But nonetheless, it looks like a challenge to fit the elevator into your tower and still have room for, uh, the tower!

(As an aside, I would love to see a proper elevator in vanilla Minecraft.  It would be tricky to code, but it shouldn't be too too hard.  It could basically be a vertical minecart.  Meanwhile, I understand there are mods that add them -- though I haven't done a thorough review of the literature emot-wink  You might consider it if all those redstone elevators become too frustrating.  Modding Minecraft is not too hard.)

I don't quite get the window!  I can think of a few ways to achieve that effect, but you aren't using any of them emot-rofl  It looks pretty magical -- what happened to the glass??  Are your pistons already reskinned in those pictures?, because I can't figure out where you're keeping the piston equipment of the size you'd need to interchange that glass with quartz!  And I love your story about Akio in the morning.  Also hilarious: creeper regresses to leaf.  Yes.  Now the rustling-leaves sound they make when they die makes perfect sense.

How sad that Minecraft has such beautiful sunsets, but no lengthening shadows to be used in shadow plays.  emot-frown

Last edited by satyreyes (11-26-2013 12:02:15 AM)

#9 | Back to Top11-26-2013 02:01:52 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

My fault for positioning the camera there. You wouldn't have been able to see much from the west anyway. Most of the mechanism is blocked off. I've got two sets of pistons set up. One set is below the window, the other set is above the window. One button activates the pistons on the bottom, pushing the entire column up. The other button activates the pistons on top, pushing the column back down. So, in the first image, you see the glass in the frame while the quartz is hidden down below. In the second, everything has been pushed up by the pistons, so that we now have quartz in the frame while the glass is hidden up above.

The whole mechanism is actually pretty simple and very modular. You can have a taller window by just adding more pistons to the column, along with another level of redstone above and below. Likewise, you can make it wider by adding more columns of pistons on either side and widening the redstone circuits. The only thing you need to take into account is adding a delay to each level so that the pistons have a chance to push everything up before the next one is extended (during my early experiments with elevators, I found out the hard way that an extended piston can't be pushed).

The really cool thing about this is that, because of the distance the signal will have to travel from the button, I'll be using a lot of repeaters which each give a delay to the effect. Why is that cool? Because that will cause the windows to shut and open, not at once, but rippling along the length of the wall. I've always loved that effect.

I'll put up some screenshots tomorrow, showing what the mechanism looks like from the back. As well, I'll show some preliminary work in Paint, with a horizontal cross section of the tower. I put it together just to see how big it would be, based on the original art (pretty big), and whether the elevators would fit inside (they will). The one change to my original plan is getting rid of that last elevator to the planetarium, in lieu of a simple set of stairs from the apartments. Not only would the elevator block the view of stark empty space that the floor should have, but it would also interfere with the window mechanism. All in all, it will be prettier this way.

Incidentally, I've begun construction of the stairs into the campus. As much as I want to build the entire city, I'm quite aware that such a goal goes beyond ambition into an obsessive compulsion. So I've decided on a cutoff point for the hill to be where the path turns at a 90 degree angle (as seen at the bottom of this image). This will give me a place to stop building while still giving it some altitude. The reason that I'm doing the stairs first is so that I know what height to build everything on. Of course, with the real construction just begun, there's already a hitch to my plans: The walls on either side of the stairs, as seen here. It's gonna take some more work just to make that look right. And then I'll go back to the rest of the stairs. No screenshots of that until I know how to make it pretty... ish...

Does it feel lonely?

#10 | Back to Top11-26-2013 12:29:14 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

As promised, the backside of the window mechanism.

Here it is with windows open...

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/behindwindow1_zps3bb749a1.jpg

...and with windows closed...

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/behindwindow2_zps76506a00.jpg

So, you can see that, for each level of the aperture, you need one piston above and one below. The pistons do take up a lot of vertical space, no matter how you arrange it, but that's not an issue here since I have the entire height of the tower in which to fit them. Less of a problem is the width. All I need to do to make that work is add another column of pistons and extend the redstone to control them. Quick and easy.

Next, here's the version of the Rose Gate that I'll be using (plus or minus a few decorative blocks here and there):

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/rosegate5_zps21cd8ec0.jpg

The redstone is now fully hidden behind the wall which turns out to give some depth to the whole thing. A happy little accident.

Finally, the basic layout of the tower, as done in Paint:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/towerlayout_zps9e3e4cd3.png

The blue circle is the base of the tower. The orange circle is the main spire. Those green squares represent where I'm putting the elevator mechanism. Since I plan on making the atrium at the bottom roughly the same diameter as the central tower, I've recently realized that there is a minor hiccup in my design. Or maybe it's another happy accident, depending on how I get the issue resolved. Basically... Where am I going to put the elevators in the atrium? Again, I have some ideas in my head which might prove to make things a little bit more elegant than what I originally intended.

In my mind, the size of the base is roughly equivalent to the distance between the Middle School and Elementary classroom buildings. I'm still trying to fudge out the layout of the classrooms themselves in Paint, which I'm slowly getting closer to looking right. Once I get a decent arrangement for them, I'll post that up as well. That arrangement is necessary so that I can judge the approximate size of the completed building.

So, there's my progress report to date. When I'm happy with the stairs into the campus, I'll put up a screenshot of that as well.

Does it feel lonely?

#11 | Back to Top11-26-2013 01:10:59 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Flah wrote:

The blue circle is the base of the tower. The orange circle is the main spire. Those green squares represent where I'm putting the elevator mechanism. Since I plan on making the atrium at the bottom roughly the same diameter as the central tower, I've recently realized that there is a minor hiccup in my design. Or maybe it's another happy accident, depending on how I get the issue resolved. Basically... Where am I going to put the elevators in the atrium? Again, I have some ideas in my head which might prove to make things a little bit more elegant than what I originally intended.

Hmmm now I'm probably wrong (I'm trying to figure it out from the screencaps), but it appears likely that the elevators are positioned in a central hub,  a solid, narrower  pillar in the center of the floor plan, and both the atrium and the living spaces upstairs 'wrap' around it. Insanely high skyscrapers are built in a similar way, irl.
I'm not really sure how such a thing would  work in Minecraft, but maybe you could position the elevators radially in that central pillar and maybe even hide their mechanisms inside it.

The level of loving detail you put into this makes me happy etc-love wonderful work!

Last edited by Snow (11-26-2013 01:11:52 PM)

#12 | Back to Top11-26-2013 01:44:29 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ohhh, now I see how you did the windows!  I really admire your creativity with redstone etc-love  That's wonderfully authentic, and definitely the best possible way to solve the problem on a small scale.  But there's one thing you need to remember about scaling this design up, and that's that a piston can push a maximum of twelve blocks.  To close this three-high window, your bottom three pistons are already each pushing nine blocks.  If the window were four high, and you added an extra quartz block and an extra piston on top and bottom, you would be capped out at twelve blocks.  So I don't know if you can solve the problem this way if you want the windows to be more than four blocks high. emot-frown

A solution that might scale better would be to use sticky pistons concealed to the left and/or right of the window on the interior side, stuck to quartz, ready to extend and conceal the window when powered.  This would not look as authentic as what you've got, which actually does look like the window is sliding shut; my solution would look more like a series of shutters are being closed from the sides, which is not what we see in the show.  But I think you could make it as big as you wanted in principle.  I'm sorry to be all fault-findy, because this, again, is beautiful!

Snow wrote:

Hmmm now I'm probably wrong (I'm trying to figure it out from the screencaps), but it appears likely that the elevators are positioned in a central hub,  a solid, narrower  pillar in the center of the floor plan, and both the atrium and the living spaces upstairs 'wrap' around it. Insanely high skyscrapers are built in a similar way, irl.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tower's elevator is in the center of the floor plan.  The planetarium has got to be damn near the center of the upper chamber, right?  And when Utena visits that room for the first time, she exits the elevator some distance from the planetarium, and Akio and Kanae are making out on the sofa behind it.  So either the tower is even bigger than I thought -- big enough to have a central elevator, then an enormous planetarium, then a lounge suite -- or the elevator is set into a side of the tower.  This is also consistent with the elevator opening directly onto the Student Council balcony.  (In which case, the side it's set into is the west side, facing the forest.)

Last edited by satyreyes (11-26-2013 01:46:45 PM)

#13 | Back to Top11-26-2013 01:55:39 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

satyreyes wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tower's elevator is in the center of the floor plan.  The planetarium has got to be damn near the center of the upper chamber, right?  And when Utena visits that room for the first time, she exits the elevator some distance from the planetarium, and Akio and Kanae are making out on the sofa behind it.  So either the tower is even bigger than I thought -- big enough to have a central elevator, then an enormous planetarium, then a lounge suite -- or the elevator is set into a side of the tower.  This is also consistent with the elevator opening directly onto the Student Council balcony.  (In which case, the side it's set into is the west side, facing the forest.)

yup, guess I didn't look at enough screencaps, and the set design sketch of the atrium makes it pretty clear that the central space is open.

Dammit, Ohtori is confusing me emot-gonk

#14 | Back to Top11-26-2013 09:54:36 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

emot-gonk

Oh bollocks... I wish I knew that pistons had that kind of limitation. I had such high hopes for the design.

As for the sticky pistons, now I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying to describe. If you're saying what you think you are, I'll have to do some placement to see if it might work. Now, based on artwork, I've extrapolated that there are between 14 and 16 windows, total, around the planetarium. A back of the envelope calculation tells me that I would therefore have roughly six blocks per window. Again, artwork shows me that the windows are twice as wide as the columns between them. So I'd have four-block-wide windows between two-block-wide columns. That wouldn't give me a lot of space in which to fit the mechanism, let alone the redstone that would control it.

Of course, even while I'm picking the idea apart, my brain is chugging along, desperately trying to produce something that will make it work (though it probably won't). I may have to give up on that little pipe dream if there's no way to do it.

I always assumed that the apartments and the planetarium are on two separate levels of the tower, with the planetarium itself taking up the entire upper chamber. Also, as I mentioned in the other Minecraft thread, it's a good guess that the planetarium and the dueling arena are the same size, considering the big reveal in the last two episodes. That, of course, raises the question of how the duelists were transported from the forest to the tower without them noticing. But that's for a different thread (though it might have something to do with Rohypnol).

We see very little of the living quarters on the level below. All we really see are the kitchen and the area behind the blinds where Utena and Anthy sleep. Judging by the curvature of the wall in the screenshots, that's only half of the space, with the rest of it on the other side of the wall behind the kitchen. Of course, despite all that, the layout of this level boggles the mind. Perhaps Akio and Anthy are actually Elder Gods, capable of ignoring Euclidean geometry whenever it inconveniences them. That would also explain their youthful appearance, despite their advanced age.

But that's beside the point. The point is that the shape of the living quarters is so ambiguous that you can pretty much arrange it any way you like and it would still be true to the artwork. That's why I've chosen to set up the elevator on one end of the apartments and stairs on the other.

The elevator I also figured was located along one side of the tower (the east side, so that it opens up to the Student Council balcony which faces west). The elevator design that I'm using can only link two separate floors. That's why I have the bottom elevators located on the north and south sides of the tower while the second set are located on the east side. It gives it some manner of symmetry while still giving the right end result. Also note that the elevator door would face toward the centre of the tower. Otherwise it would look very silly stepping out and smacking your face against a wall. Although... (the hamster wheel inside my skull is getting a good workout tonight)

I gotta stop writing about this or I won't be able to get any sleep at all tonight. And I already had a dream last night where I'm placing Minecraft blocks. And that just ain't right.

Anyhoo, I've got some more planning ahead of me. If nothing else, this discussion has given me a few half-formed ideas that I can play with at some point.

Does it feel lonely?

#15 | Back to Top11-26-2013 11:34:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Flah wrote:

We see very little of the living quarters on the level below. All we really see are the kitchen and the area behind the blinds where Utena and Anthy sleep. Judging by the curvature of the wall in the screenshots, that's only half of the space, with the rest of it on the other side of the wall behind the kitchen. Of course, despite all that, the layout of this level boggles the mind. Perhaps Akio and Anthy are actually Elder Gods, capable of ignoring Euclidean geometry whenever it inconveniences them. That would also explain their youthful appearance, despite their advanced age.

This has my vote.  emot-rofl

As for the sticky pistons, now I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying to describe. If you're saying what you think you are, I'll have to do some placement to see if it might work. Now, based on artwork, I've extrapolated that there are between 14 and 16 windows, total, around the planetarium. A back of the envelope calculation tells me that I would therefore have roughly six blocks per window. Again, artwork shows me that the windows are twice as wide as the columns between them. So I'd have four-block-wide windows between two-block-wide columns. That wouldn't give me a lot of space in which to fit the mechanism, let alone the redstone that would control it.

Ahhh, you're going to have four-wide windows.  You're right, my idea is impractical on any scale with windows that are more than two units wide, even if you had a lot more room between windows.  So is my fallback idea, which was to use block swappers in columns -- something like this, except vertically aligned. 

So how about this?  I don't know how to create the effect you want on the scale you want it, but maybe we can tweak the parameters.  How important is it that the windows run vertically up and down Akio's planetarium, anyway?  What if they followed this pattern?:

http://s18.postimg.org/ulj3r5ygl/2013_11_27_00_24_35.jpg

No part of this design has more than four glass panes stacked, which I think would let you use your original mechanism for each column.  But obviously it's pretty compromised.  It isn't what the planetarium looks like, and it doesn't permit the wall to have as much glass in it as it should.

In the process of typing this out I have had a bunch of ideas that haven't panned out.  (You may have some idea what this is like.  emot-tongue)  It seems like it should be possible to get a six-high window by having the quartz slide down in front of the glass instead of replacing it, but then you can't get it to slide up again without leaving a bunch of pistons behind, no matter how clever you are with sticky pistons.  It seems like you should be able to use your original idea horizontally to slide shut the four-wide windows in each row moving from top to bottom, letting you make them arbitrarily high, but that requires waaay more space to each side of each window than you have.  Etc. 

Then I had a crazy idea that seemed perfect -- certainly good for two-wide windows of any height -- except for one tiny problem.  You could drop gravel down in front of the windows using sticky pistons as your mechanism to "close" the windows, and then "open" them by dropping it down again with another pair of sticky pistons.  This works perfectly -- once.  But there's no way I know of to use redstone to get the gravel back up to the top so you can close the windows again.

Well, not legitimately.  But who cares about legitimacy?  emot-wink

http://s14.postimg.org/vms5zcrwt/2013_11_27_01_23_06.jpg

The two key features to note in addition to the gravel and sticky pistons are, first, the torches below the bottom set of pistons.  The torches will break the falling gravel into entities, which will allow the gravel to naturally despawn over time.  The other thing to notice is the command block.  Yes, I think we have to break out the command blocks for this job.  You need one of them for each unit of width of the window, and each one needs to be ready to run /setblock to place gravel at the top of where you want your gravel stack.  When the window is opened and the gravel falls down for disposal, send a number of redstone pulses equal to the window's height to each of the command blocks, separated by a little time, and new gravel will fall into place above the assembly, ready to close the window again.

Of course, if we're willing to use command blocks, we could create two enormous banks of command blocks (one block in each bank for every pane of glass) to do the whole job straightforwardly -- one bank to magically turn the glass into quartz, the other to magically turn it back.  But that's no fun.  emot-wink

Ugh, yes, okay, I'm getting the hamster wheel effect too.  I hope some of this is maybe helpful?  emot-redface

#16 | Back to Top11-27-2013 12:11:24 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Sweet monkey nuggets!

I admit, I've never actually used command blocks before, so this is new to me. But I like! I like very much! True, I'll have to change some more textures but that's perfectly acceptable. I'll give it a shot later today after work. And, going up or going down doesn't really matter much to me. So it's all cool.

In the meantime, here are a couple screenshots of the stairs going to the campus, now that I've got the walls right (I had to do something to get my mind off the window problem):

From the bottom:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/entrance1_zps879135a9.jpg

And from the top:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/entrance2_zpsd603636f.jpg

Remember when I mentioned changing the wood texture to white so that the Rose Garden would have a white picket fence? That will also give a bonus that we'll have an equivalent of the white scrollwork pattern like we see here. I think I'm going to have to make the gate a little bit higher though. Keep tweaking as I go, I suppose.

There will, of course, be trees on either side of the walkway by the time I'm done.

And one more shot from underneath:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/underneath1_zps32d128bb.jpg

I'm not going to fill in the inside of the hill. Not only would that be insane but it feels kind of appropriate that the campus would have a hollow foundation.

Does it feel lonely?

#17 | Back to Top11-27-2013 12:38:05 PM

zevrem
Banned

My god... I just realized the absurdity of being part of this fandom. Ohtori Academy is meant to be a PRISON, and here we are, recreating it in our FANTASIES.

No offense. :'(

Last edited by zevrem (11-27-2013 12:39:52 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#18 | Back to Top11-27-2013 12:55:18 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

zevrem wrote:

My god... I just realized the absurdity of being part of this fandom. Ohtori Academy is meant to be a PRISON, and here we are, recreating it in our FANTASIES.

No offense. :'(

But it's a really pretty prison, you have to admit...

I see nothing wrong with celebrating a work of art and enjoying the work and care that the creators, and our fellow forum members, put into (re)creating it.

Besides, absurdity is the spice of life! (Or was that variety now?)

#19 | Back to Top11-27-2013 01:04:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wow, Zev, I am about to blow your mind.  emot-aaa

Whoaaaa.

#20 | Back to Top11-27-2013 01:24:44 PM

zevrem
Banned

258,561 SOLD ( $8,258,545 )

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#21 | Back to Top11-27-2013 08:13:55 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

You act as though I'm celebrating the horrible things that were done on the Ohtori campus. Far from it. I'm making a tribute to the work and creativity of BePapas. I'm a half-decent writer, though I'm not consistent enough to produce a fanfic that I'd consider on par with the original story. And my artistic skills can better be described as a lack of. And so I'm using a canvas that I know I can work with.

That's all it is. I know what Ohtori Academy represents. I know what kind of disturbing themes are implied in the scenes I'm recreating. But, good or bad, they are there.

Does it feel lonely?

#22 | Back to Top11-27-2013 09:40:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We know, Flah.  Rock on.  poptart

#23 | Back to Top11-28-2013 11:26:34 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I would never burn my toast in that way. But thank you for your encouragement.

Slow going at the moment. I've built a mockup of the new window mechanism and I like how it looks. I've even got a hang of the command blocks that will drop the gravel. The big hurdle with that is making the timing circuit work correctly. I'm on the right track with it, but it's still taking me some time to finesse it into doing exactly what I want. No screenies until I have a fully working model.

As I progressed through the entryway, I suddenly realized that I had no idea how far the central path goes. Because of this, I'll have to go back into Paint and do some more horrible horrible planning.

On the upside, I finally have the layout for the middle school building (and elementary school too, I guess) in a form that I'm comfortable with.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/classroomlayout_zps610fa9ba.png

Please forgive the garish colours. I need them to help me judge distances and what things are represented. So... Rose Garden in the upper left of the courtyard. Classrooms along the north and south. Blue sections in the east and west will be for the more functional parts of the building such as stairs, restrooms, etc. On the bottom floor will be the locker room in the east and administration/offices taking up the rest of the space (except for that iconic hallway with the arches facing out into the courtyard).

As I look through concept art and screenshots of the show, trying to wrap my mind around the layout of the school, my mind still boggles at the obscenely high ceilings in the place. How in the world was Utena able to afford to go to a place like this? I'm not 100% sure how the Japanese deal with school fees, but I can't imagine the higher class establishments not having some manner of extra charges on top of what a standard school would have. Her parents must have left her with one hell of an inheritance.

Does it feel lonely?

#24 | Back to Top11-29-2013 12:07:46 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Flah wrote:

As I look through concept art and screenshots of the show, trying to wrap my mind around the layout of the school, my mind still boggles at the obscenely high ceilings in the place. How in the world was Utena able to afford to go to a place like this? I'm not 100% sure how the Japanese deal with school fees, but I can't imagine the higher class establishments not having some manner of extra charges on top of what a standard school would have. Her parents must have left her with one hell of an inheritance.

You know, I don't think we've ever had a thread specifically about how various characters manage to go to Ohtori, even though I remember having at least three in-person conversations about it at conventions and with Gio and Yasha.  We have a thread about social class, but I don't think we've talked about whether Utena is a trust-fund kid or is on scholarship or what.  Akio wants her at the school, of course, so my guess would be that he's giving her a free ride (emot-tongue) under the guise of a sports scholarship, but that's speculation.  And speculation that belongs in a different thread at that.

The timing circuit could be tricky.  There are lots of different ways to make clocks in Minecraft, and some of them give you finer control than others.  The wonderful standby of attaching two hoppers to each other is not so wonderful if you need to allow several ticks between firings.  Good luck, and if you need a hand, just say the word!

#25 | Back to Top11-29-2013 11:49:55 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Holy crap! The window is actually doing what I want!

From underneath, here it is when open:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/2013-11-29_103050_zps569b97e4.png

And the same from above:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/2013-11-29_102107_zps93ed8fc8.png

Closed from underneath:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/2013-11-29_103129_zps131361f5.png

And from above:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/Nonyflah/2013-11-29_102240_zps4007d014.png

Now... I don't know how I managed to do it but I was a bit off with my calculations for the windows. I don't have six or seven blocks for each window... I have nine or ten. Which is good because I need some space to get the signal up to the ceiling. Also, I might modify it so that the command blocks simply drop the gravel into the window instead of dealing with the pistons up there. I'm worried that there won't be enough room inside the dome to actually fit the huge towers of gravel, otherwise.

Does it feel lonely?

Board footer