This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-03-2006 06:35:28 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

How I Became a Duelist

I haven't managed to find a thread that addresses this topic, and I felt that a threaad such as this might best belong in this forum. emot-tongue

How did Akio manage to seduce you? Who was your noble prince on a white horse? Who gave you your signet ring? How did you enter the ranks of the mighty Rose Seal Duelists? Am I going to make any bloody sense here!? emot-biggrin

In short, how did you find out about (and subsequently get attached to) the series? I figure there must be some very interesting tales out there, and we may do good to share them. Here, I'll even share mine!

(Flashback to my middle/high school, some years before. Isn't this exciting?)

It was during art class that a female acquaintance of mine had brought her Utena tapes to school with her, to show us what her interests were. I believe it was considered art-related, and the teacher was pretty cool anyway. So we stole the school TV/VCR set and popped the tapes in...

All I could say was...WOW!! Look at this anime series! I've never seen anything like it!

"I...I think I've found something neat and thought-provoking...cool, even."

I lost touch with this friend (she left the school for someplace else), but the images of the whacked-out academy stood strong in my mind. So, when I had some disposable cash of my own, I picked up the first DVD (episodes 1-7). I still have but this lone video disc, but I intend to expand my collection as soon as possible. emot-dance

(End flashback. Wasn't that neat, folks?)

And so my tale of how I became a follower of the Rose Seal ends on a downer...but looking up nevertheless. What about you kind, dear folks? How did you learn about SKU?

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#2 | Back to Top12-03-2006 06:46:14 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: How I Became a Duelist

Back in the days when Sailor Orion's Refuge was still alive, I used to be totally in love with the author. This was when I was still in the fifth grade, mind you. And on her personal website, she used to have a section for her favorite anime songs. One of them was Earth as a Character Gallery. I promptly fell in love and knew I had to look up this anime. So I wandered upon the then-still active Utena Encyclopedia and proceeded to (attempt to) read the scripts. Didn't get far with that, since they're dialogue only. I found the fansite Arisugawa's Locket, however, and became thoroughly educated in the Juri/Shiori/Ruka triangle. (Which ended up being disappointing, later on, because I never had the chance to be "fooled" by episode 7.)

So a year later my best best friend bought the first comic volume. And I was estastic--finally a chance to  fullycheck this out! I liked it more than she did (I promptly fell in love with Utena and drew her all over my notebooks, haha) so she gave it (and the next couple of volumes, over the subsequent months) to me for my birthday.

I didn't actually end up seeing the anime until I'd already read all of the comics, though. Same friend had a copy of a couple of the black rose episodes (including the Nanami cow one--how's that for an intro to a series?) and I loved it. Later another friend forced me to watch the movie, which I found most beautiful...and I finally took it upon myself to find the rest of the episodes. Which I did.

And now, many years and rewatches later... emot-dance

#3 | Back to Top12-03-2006 07:08:12 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

My path to becoming a duelist (as you so cleverly put it) was thanks to Sailor Moon, but not in the way that you're probably thinking.

Early in my days of getting into anime, Sailor Moon was one of the series I discovered thanks to its showing on TV. This was probably about 7 years ago.  After I had finally bought a DVD player at the beginning of 2000, I was still in the 'discovery' phase of becoming an anime fan.  Thanks to Toonami on Cartoon Network, I was now a Gundam Wing fan as well.  Then came the availability of anime on DVD.  When I was making the decision of what to buy as my first ever anime DVD, Gundam Wing vol 1 and the Sailor Moon R movie were my choices.  In the end I went for Gundam Wing, but not long afterwards, Sailor Moon R was in my collection.  Then the Sailor Moon S and SuperS movies... bought through Amazon.

Now, as most of you probably know, Amazon keeps track of your purchases and sends you email when something they think you'll like is going to be released, based on past purchases.  One day, I got an email that went something like this...

Dear Amazon Customer,

As someone who has purchased DVDs by Kunihiko Ikuhara [Sailor Moon R], we thought you might like to know that "Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Movie" is being released on (whenever it was).

So I ordered it.  I had heard of the series before, but didn't really know anything about it.  In fact, when I used to work at Media Play, a customer had asked me to place a special order for them of the two Rose Collection DVDs (the only ones available at the time, this was long before we got the rest of the series over here), and they were saying how good of a series it was.  At the time it didn't mean much to me; I was only barely becoming aware of anime myself then.  So with that vague recollection, I ordered the movie.

Then, I watched the movie for the very first time.  Of course, not having seen the series.

emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused

I loved it!!!  I had no idea of what was going on, but it was one of the most bizarre and abstract things I had ever seen!  I didn't know the characters and their backstories, but it was was easy to see that this film was so crammed with symbolism and metaphor, as well as having one of the most amazing soundtracks I had ever heard, that it fascinated me to no end.

So, now it was time to get the series.  Lucky for me, the last 2/3 of the series had just been announced as going to be released in the US at last, so I ordered the 2 DVDs of the first 13 episodes.  I watched them.  I watched the movie again.  It made a little more sense, but I still couldn't wrap my mind around it all.  Then the second and third box sets were released.  I ordered them.  I watched the entire series.  It was just as symbolic as the movie, but nowhere near as abstract. I watched the movie again.  I was floored.

Symbolism.  Metaphor.  Music.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena was the series I had been waiting for, and I didn't even know it.  It snuck up on me and took me captive, and never let me go.  It then became, and remains, my alltime favorite anime because of those elements.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#4 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:27:19 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Someone sent me a video of the classic AMV set to Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa's cover of "Hit me Baby One More time" which reminded me of the manga that I'd thumbed through briefly at the comic shop but hadn't had the money to buy. So I promptly went on YouTube and watched the episodes that were there (up to episode 7). The rest, as they say, is history.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:42:24 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I'd heard of it. It's one of those animes that I'd always wanted to watch; I have a perchant for cross-dressing, heroic girls, I'm a hardcore literature major who loves to analyze the hell out of things, I adore surrealism and metaphors, I'm absolutely nuts, it was perfect. I never had the money, though.

So, one day, my friend, who is highly weird, highly intelligent, and highly computer-savvy (in other words, has good taste and I benefit from it), said, "you should watch Utena" and gave me it.

So I did. And I love, love, loved it. I got dueling choruses, I analyzed, I bawled at the ending, I was happy.

And then, months later, I watched it AGAIN, I went OH MY GOD, THIS SHOW IS OUT OF ITS FUCKING MIND, SHE'S HAVING SEX WITH HER BROTHER, realized how intense and deep it is, bawled at the ending, and was sold for-EVER. I am the fan equivalent of this show's pathetically whipped girlfriend.

#6 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:55:35 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

A long time ago, I heard about Utena... or... something, it was always very familiar to me, when I first started watching it on On Demand I was always like "I had heard about this show somewhere, but I never really got to watch it." Or... somehting like that. My friend has a poster of Utena from the Black Rose Saga in his room, but unfortunately he never really watched the show... I'd say if he could get over, the incest, and the gay sex, I think he'd throroughly enjoy it... but, yeah, that's how I found out baout Utena.

Last edited by Xu Yuan (12-03-2006 11:55:57 PM)

#7 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:14:07 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

My brother used to live in Japan and he sent tapes to me for reasons unknown.
He liked it so he was all watch so I have someone to be all Yay Utena~ with. He'd send me okay-ish translations so I wouldn't have to try and figure out what their saying since my Japanese isn't all that great now, and it especially wasn't then.  ...I loved the Utena Encyclopedia and its lovely full scripts. *mourn mourn* I wish I still had my tapes. emot-gonk

I first saw the movie when it came out on video here in the US, and I'm so glad they're so different or the voices would have driven me crazy. I'm completely fine with the movie in English, but not the series.

#8 | Back to Top12-04-2006 02:25:58 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

A long time ago (I'm not even sure when) my friend and I used to rent whatever anime we could find at the video shop and it was either really good or MST fodder. She rented the first tape of Utena when I wasn't there and watched the first episode and she told me it was like being on a bad acid trip, and there was a lesbian with a pink mullet.

It promptly became my favourite show.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#9 | Back to Top12-04-2006 06:53:57 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Yay for YouTube! No one ever told me much about Utena, and before I actually saw it, I had no idea what it was about. But after I had seen the first few episodes I completely fell in love with it. I had never seen anything like that before and Utena struck me as a very unique and stylish anime. Sadly, there were only 7 episodes on YouTube at that time, so I couldn't see the rest. (Till I downloaded the fansubs).

But now I'm planning to buy a laptop so I could watch DVDs and figure out a way how to buy stuff online. Not that I'm rich or anything. emot-tongue

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#10 | Back to Top12-04-2006 01:13:14 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm fairly new to the Utena fandom. I watched the it for the first time exactly one year and eight days ago. (Why I know that is beyond me...) However, I've been aware that this anime existed for quite some time.

Five years ago, my friend asked me if I wanted to watch an anime with her. "Don't worry, it's not a bad anime. They duel with swords and roses, so there isn't blood or anything." Apparently that makes all of the other inappropriate things. Who in their right mind would show Utena to a ten-year-old? I can still vaguely recall how I first pictured Utena to be... I pictured it to be really formal, which it is, I suppose, but not quite in the way I was thinking.

I didn't watch it, but my friend showed it to my twin sister. (She was Mitsuru's age, for goodness sakes!) I remember my sister telling me about it, saying that elephants chased them through an entire episode, and I think she mentioned that they turned into cars.

Several years later, I came across two Utena references in fanfictions, which got me wondering what it was about. When I asked my sister what it was, she told me that it was a really weird anime. She had loved it when she first saw it, but several years past, and at some point she remembered it again at some and thought it seemed really strange anime that she wouldn't like. The fanfictions had got me thinking about it, so I tried asking my friend if we could watch it, but we ended up doing something else instead.

Then, one Sunday night, I couldn't sleep and so I checked On-Demand for something to watch, and came across Utena. I watched the first episode, and fell in love with it instantly, even with the horrible voices in English. "They are meant for Kiiyoichi Seiyanji!" I was surprised when I heard the endsong, because I already had it memorized from my sister's earlier Utena fandom. The next day, I told my sister that she was going to watch it, whether she liked it or not, and she fell in love with it all over again.

The poor thing... For five years, she thought that the movie ended with the two of them dying in a car crash.

#11 | Back to Top12-05-2006 09:03:25 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

My cousin moved to my house for studying in spain, and when she left she forgot 2 DVDs.

I have seen tons of animes, but i don't like them so much (my ex has a huge friki).

I decided to watch it in a rainy week-end.

#12 | Back to Top12-05-2006 05:21:57 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I do believe I have a very unique Duelist-creation story here. emot-dance

One day, my senior year of high school, my best friend and I were talking in the middle of an English class. She brought up she wanted to start a role-playing game, and I immediately jumped on the bandwagon. You plan it and run it, I said, and I'll make the pretty graphic-pictures for you. She told me it was based on this series called Utena, and I shrugged and said I didn't need to know the series to make pictures, did I? Ah, hindsight is always 20/20.

With that, the Ohtori Academy game on GJ started up. Unfortunately, my friend is quite flighty on occasion, and she dropped the game... after several people had decided to join up. So, I, being the entirely silly person that I am, decided to forge onward with the game....

with no knowledge of Utena at all. emot-aaa

Good thing the game was AU. emot-biggrin

The game ran for a good year and a half, mainly because I had a damn good co-mod (BakaElf on these forums) who has since become one of my best non-RL friends. Through the course of the game, I did manage to watch the first two arcs, but I think it was only after the game's end that I managed to see the final saga.

I started a new AU Utena game soon after, And They Lived, but I seem to be potentially needing a new co-mod. The way things run full circle... it is entirely amusing.

So, yes. That is my story.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#13 | Back to Top12-05-2006 09:31:24 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

My story is quite mundane, alas. I started out in anime fandom a long long time ago. Ok it was only 7 years ago, but it seems like such a long time ago because back then there were no DVD fansubs, no Bit Torrent, no internet sharing. High speed internet was still a thing of the future except at college dorms, which is where I first saw Utena, among other things. I started out on Fushigi Yuugi, moved with the rest of the FY fandom to Weiss Kreuz, got out of that before things got really scary, and moved on to see the rest of the 'classic' series that I had missed, like Escaflowne.

This being the day and age of the VHS fansubs, I was begging for copies of any and every series from friends, and one of mine kindly sent me copies of her fansubs, which were copies of someone else's, which were copies of someone else's, which were....you get the point. By the end of them, the sound was going and the picture was blurry, but I watched straight through all the same. And that is how I became a duellist. school-sherlock

As for the movie...I think I forcefully removed it from my mind after I watched it, because a few months ago before this forum opened, I was reading through someone's thoughts on the movie and I thought to myself, "gee, I faintly remember watching this thing where there was a car....and someone died in a bathtub...or something."

#14 | Back to Top12-06-2006 12:08:34 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Ah, I told the story of how a little picture in Animerica inspired me to find out more about Utena online, about 5 years ago. Then I found the Utena Encylcopedia, and devoured all of the fan sites. But I am quite sure I left out WHY I was attracted to the story of a girl prince.

Which was that, I had just started college and met a friend who I had so much respect for. So elegant, so smart, had the perfect life...until that life fell apart. My friend got divorced and developed a HUGE drug problem. And I, quickly found myself severely entertwined in a rescue mission, that lasted 4 years. In doing so, people who knew me would get mad and not really understand why I was putting so much effort into helping this person. The story of Utena, initially attracted me, because Utena was helping Anthy, not really clear what to do, but a strong motivation to help, and no one else seemed to understand or care. It paralleled my situation, and I was very dedicated to saving my friend's life... so the show was like special motivation, or whatever. And in the end, yay, my friend is sober, and I am not chasing anyone down into the abyss... so my little story ended well, AND, I was left with a huge appreciation for Utena series - which I continue with to this day.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#15 | Back to Top12-07-2006 01:54:00 PM

StarlightArcher
Miki Molester

Well...that's an interesting story.

I'd always liked anime, just as much as my folks didn't like it. So, I had to put off anime entirely till I got to college. While there one of my roommates introduced me a classmate of hers. This girl was cool! Artistic, smarter than me, and best of all...an anime nerd. She'd brought a cosplay outfit and her Utena season 2 tapes that day. So my first Utena viewing was of Season 2 Episode 1 - what a way to get introduced eh?

It was by far the most unique anime I'd ever seen. And as I watched more and more, I found myself more and more interested. Plus the dueling was also a big draw. I'd just recently quit competitive fencing at the time, and it was nice to combine two of my interests.
For me Fencing + Anime= Win emot-dance

I haven't read much of the manga, but I did watch the movie. I think my face was stuck in the O_o? pose from opening to closing credits. Since my first experience with Utena was the tv series it's what I like best. I try watch it once a year. In many ways Utena reminds me of myself when I was younger, and a little more innocent.

So yea, didn't take a whole lot to seduce me...and I'm sure Aiko likes it that way emot-wink

Why yes, I am made of Fabulous!

#16 | Back to Top12-26-2006 05:47:01 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well, well! Interesting stories, all! Such a diverse audience, with their Duelist stories...

I love the way you folks think. emot-dance

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#17 | Back to Top12-26-2006 07:02:03 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I was a Moonie, back in the day (aw, what the hell am I saying; I'm going to Japan in just over a week and you KNOW I'm coming back with Sailor Moon crap by the busload), and was a reader of this huge-ass and rather terrifying AU fanfic called Wildflowers. One of the authors, though, was essentially my dealer; she was the only person I knew who would send fansubs through to me, as I am a Kiwi (although I live in the UK right now, I've only been here ten months) and New Zealand's pretty much a backwater when it comes to these sorts of things. Particularly before the days of DVD in 1999. emot-tongue While I was getting BSSM tapes from her, she developed a deep fascination with Saionji and when she tried to explain the show and all words imploded (as they tend to do with this show) I was intrigued. She sent me the first eight episodes of the BRS, I fell fatally in love with Mikage, and then the show ate my life. And I was much the happier for it, even though I still want to write essays quoting T.S. Eliot about Mikage unto the ends of eternity. I really need to get out more often.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#18 | Back to Top12-26-2006 07:27:21 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Haha, mine is a sad story. Not sad as in tragic, but as in pathetic.
I have ERASURE to owe my SKU love to. The video for Juri to the song "A Little Respect" was on my friends laptop, and I stumbled across it because it was incorrectly in her Sailor Moon folder [*sings*IIIIRONYYYYYY]. Anyway, when she downloaded it, it was marked as a Sailor Moon AMV, but when she watched it she realized that it obviously wasn't. She told me that it was an interesting AMV though, so she kept it. I absolutely LOVED the way Juri was designed, so I did some looking up. I rushed out to buy all the manga. It was good and all, but the angst-ridden girl I had seen was...not angst-ridden. So naturally, I figured that the anime must have changed some things, which is not rare at all. So I bought the first arc from my local Media Play. After months of emot-aaa , there was my girl! And I could rest easy. I set down SKU for a while, but after two months or so I watched it again and looked it up on the internet, hoping to find some more info. The following seasons seemed far more promising than what I had seen. Not to say I dislike the 1st arc, but...you understand, right? So, obviously, I took it upon myself to buy the movie O.o I have no idea what sort of logic that was, but it worked. The movie was an utter mindfuck, and I HAD to have more. I bought the second arc soon after, and it blew my mind. I couldn't have enough. I was in utter an complete SKU mode. My poor friend who had to live through that...anyway, I did nothing but research on sites such as Empty Movement [shameless promo] for months and months. I knew every intricate detail before I had seen it. I absolutely refused,however, to watch SKU online. It was too beautiful to not own. For me anyway. FINALLY Christmas of...04 or 05, not sure, rolled around, and I got the box set for the final arc. And a tee-shirt! Acctually, I own two of the same DVD just so I could have the shirt emot-biggrin The love grew in leaps and bounds from there, and SKU remains #2 on my list of biggest obsessions. For anime though, its #1. Thats kinda sad acctually, of all the things in the world that I'm obsessed with, SKU is #2.

Ironic, isn't it, that Juri is the reason I delved into SKU,and Shiori is my favorite character? school-eng101

Last edited by dollface (01-01-2007 04:36:46 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#19 | Back to Top12-26-2006 08:09:59 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

At first I thought this was going to be a thread about what personal hang-ups would keep you in Ohtori as a duelist... and what Akio needed to seduce you... har har har.

But yes, my story is a bit funny.  One of my friends in high school that I sort of got into anime managed to get the fansubs right after they came out.  I hadn't heard of the series at all at the time.  So, I went to her house and she raved about the Black Rose arc and made me watch the Kozue duelist episode because I HAD to see the piano teacher cop a feel off of Miki.  *snort*  The rotating roses, the gorgeous art, the weird-ness in general and I was won over in no time at all. emot-keke;

#20 | Back to Top12-27-2006 07:01:47 AM

Starshine
New Student

A local rental place was trying to clear out their VHS collection...I went straight to the anime (as I usually do) and picked out a whole bunch of stuff, Utena was simply one that looked interesting. (also the mention of Sailor Moon on the cover intrigued me a bit...childhood flashbacks)

And it certainly was, but I have yet to see the entire series (eek, don't hold it against me)...I'll probably have to order the series to see it in it's entirety as no one around here seems to have it.

#21 | Back to Top12-27-2006 08:51:43 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Starshine wrote:

And it certainly was, but I have yet to see the entire series (eek, don't hold it against me)...I'll probably have to order the series to see it in it's entirety as no one around here seems to have it.

Don't worry, neither have I. I'll probably do the same thing...when I run out of ideas for my Lego collection!

#22 | Back to Top12-27-2006 09:25:45 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Starshine wrote:

Don't worry, neither have I. I'll probably do the same thing...when I run out of ideas for my Lego collection!

Well, there's always YouTube...that's what I've been reduced to, as my entire collection is currently at home. Which is...roughly ten thousand miles THAT way. emot-tongue

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#23 | Back to Top12-27-2006 12:19:04 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Clarice wrote:

Well, there's always YouTube...that's what I've been reduced to, as my entire collection is currently at home. Which is...roughly ten thousand miles THAT way. emot-tongue

I know, I know. I just prefer watching things on my DVD player instead of the Internet. Streaming audio and video is great for many people, but it's just not my cup of tea.

#24 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:49:59 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Clarice wrote:

I know, I know. I just prefer watching things on my DVD player instead of the Internet. Streaming audio and video is great for many people, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I know what you mean. I wont lie, I've watched a series or two on the internet, but something as beautiful as SKU I had to own. I have quite a bookshelf for anime I took one look at and decided that I couldn't watch it via computer.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#25 | Back to Top12-27-2006 05:32:42 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

How did I become a duellist?

Hmm...

Well, it all started when I got into AMVs...

I downloaded this one AMV of the Utena series to Queen's 'Princes of the Universe' (fitting song, eh?)

As I sat there... watching that video... I thought to myself... "ooooh... pretty..."

It all went to hell from there... school-devil

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

Board footer