This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-27-2009 03:47:36 AM

oldboy
Miki Molester

The Role of Parents in SKU

We don't really see any parents in SKU. Their "presence is noted by their absence." So I want to ask you, what role do parents play in SKU?

Here's a brief listing of parental relationships, as they're laid out in the show:

-Utena - orphan
-Miki + Kozue - biological parents
-Touga + Nanami - adoptive parents. Nanami thinks she's a parent when she lays an egg.
-Juri - unknown
-Saionji - unknown
-Tokiko + Mamiya - Tokiko acts sort of like a mother to Mamiya.
-Anthy + Akio - unknown.
-Kanae - Mrs. Ohtori and the ill chairman [thanks randomprojects!]

Last edited by oldboy (12-27-2009 10:05:37 AM)

#2 | Back to Top12-27-2009 09:57:43 AM

randomprojects
Juri Jeerer

Re: The Role of Parents in SKU

Don't forget Mrs Ohtori!emot-wink

I think the lack of parental prescence in-series is to affect the duelists more - there is no way they could ask their parents for advice so their neurosis builds up. Also, Ohtori is about the distinction between adults and children, the transistion between these two stages. Perhaps parents aren't shown because teenagers feel that no adult/authority figure understands them (and yet they want to become adults themselves - they want to be taken seriously), and the literal absence of parents in the SKUniverse represents the isolation of the teens during this process?

Forgive me if I'm talking nonsense - it's really late here...

#3 | Back to Top10-19-2013 06:06:28 PM

dreamingallby
New Student

It might be a little late to post to this thread but....there might be a partly practical reason that no parents are shown.  If Ohtori is a private school, then many students might live in student apartments or some type of dorm.  For Japanese high-schools at least, anyone can apply to any school; and they would then move to go attend it.  Plus I believe in the show it shows Wakaba living on her own.  However, my theory only works up to a certain point; the audience should still see Touga and Nanami's parents at some point, since they live at home.

#4 | Back to Top10-19-2013 06:22:00 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Definitely the students live in dorms for the most part, but it's nice to know that there's a basis in real life for this. Kind of like a boarding school, huh?

Touga and Nanami's parents... at best, they're absentee parents, if not actively abusive. It makes sense that we wouldn't see them; Touga's actions are based on abandonment issues at the very least, as is Nanami's brother complex. She wouldn't be so attached to him if she'd had any other guidance or protection. So I think they get a pass on that-- your theory works.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top10-21-2013 06:32:00 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yasha wrote:

Touga and Nanami's parents... at best, they're absentee parents, if not actively abusive.

They also appear to be very rich and very status-conscious.  They can hardly have their prize pigs living in a dormitory with the rabble, or in some shabby apartment development.  They could have bought a big house in Yokohama just for Touga and Nanami.

#6 | Back to Top10-21-2013 07:44:03 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

satyreyes wrote:

They also appear to be very rich and very status-conscious.  They can hardly have their prize pigs living in a dormitory with the rabble, or in some shabby apartment development.  They could have bought a big house in Yokohama just for Touga and Nanami.

This is a distinct possibility. I'd always thought that Nanami and Touga were expected to throw extravagent black tie parties just for their fellow students. I think that 'prize pigs' describe them very well and in more ways than just one.

#7 | Back to Top10-22-2013 12:06:53 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Surely you mean prize cattle? At least in one case.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#8 | Back to Top10-22-2013 12:10:24 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Flah wrote:

Surely you mean prize cattle? At least in one case.

Yes.  poptart

Downside: so much for the Deliverance joke.

Board footer