This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-02-2011 08:59:31 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

Himemiya's Glasses

At the end of the series when she's leaving Ohtori, she takes her glasses off for good and leaves them on Akio's desk

If she never needed them why did she wear them?

Sorry if this has been asked before..

#2 | Back to Top09-02-2011 09:26:02 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Re: Himemiya's Glasses

Also note:  She sets them on the night-stand every time she sleeps with Akio, she doesn't wear them when she's impersonating Mamiya and she isn't wearing them either in her coffin or in flashbacks.

My thought has always been is that the glasses are how she mantains the Clark Kent facade of Anthy Himemiya, the weirdo-submissive mortal girl.  Combined with the hair-buns, the glasses are supposed to make her seem frail, shy and up-tight while masking her actual personality.

Note that on the episode where Utena and Akio ride the ferris wheel, Anthy's glasses reflect the light in a way to obscure her eyes totally (very similar to Evil Professor Tomoe in Sailormoon S, which Ikuhara also directed.)  I feel as if this notates mostly that the glasses are a wall between Anthy's real thoughts and nature and the person she lets herself be on the outside.  Her "real" inner life, as it were, her "real" self -- the person Akio knows -- as opposed to the facade -- Utena's "Rose Bride."

The last episode, however, would be a convergence of the two -- the "real" Anthy finally decides to leave the school and thus has no more need for masks.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#3 | Back to Top09-02-2011 09:27:48 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

As an aside, other character in Ohtori who were glasses --

the three identical boys (cannot remember their names for the life of me.)

the guidance counselor

Nemuro, who loses them when he becomes Mikage.

Do these characters have any major commonalities with Anthy?

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#4 | Back to Top09-02-2011 10:27:41 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

This is going to sound shallow, but I honestly think it was the animators' way of making her look prettier. Maybe they thought giving her a makeover at the end would be a nice addition to her personality change.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top09-03-2011 10:47:03 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I agree with dirufacade; to summarize, "glasses" is shorthand for "introverted".

Anthy also takes her glasses off when she's sleeping (in the dorm/cocktower). Obviously no-one sleeps with glasses on, but maybe it also shows that she can let her guard down a little with Utena.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#6 | Back to Top09-07-2011 10:21:09 PM

OrangeRose
Saionji Slapper
Website

Perhaps they glasses were meant to symbolize the Illusion Anthy partook in-looking through the glasses might be a metaphor similar to Akio's projector-but when she acts in acdeceptive manor, she takes them off possibly signifying that her true colors are showing. By taking them off when she leaves Ohtori, this perhaps means she is discarding both the Illusory self she portrayed, as well as the darker self, and is heading forward into the world for a new start, hopefully with Utena.
Just some thoughts...

"Your rose is MINE, Betch!"
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/Lcita/juri.jpg

#7 | Back to Top09-08-2011 07:26:53 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm afraid my view is brutally unromantic and pragmatic; I think the glasses are basically shorthand for 'shy and introverted'. People with glasses are often portrayed both in Japanese media and Western media as denoting shyness, passivity, and bookishness. I think they're part of Anthy's disguise. "I'm harmless as a mouse. Poke me and I'll squeak and scuttle off in terror."

#8 | Back to Top09-08-2011 08:53:37 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

According to a long interview with Enokido and Ikuhara, one of the Preview chats had Anthy saying this, "I can see so much without my glasses."

And they commented something along the line of, "That's actually very creepy when you think about it."

I also don't think the glasses necessarily put her at a disadvantage. I think the glasses serve another purpose for Anthy. They are forcing her to see only through the lenses. In a sense, it means she is focused on few things at once. Sometimes you can see individual person reflecting off her glasses. Like a microscope or a magnifying glass, it may allow her to perform more intensive analysis on people, one at a time. It just wouldn't be able to let her see the bigger picture.

Last edited by Hiraku (09-08-2011 08:58:11 AM)

#9 | Back to Top09-08-2011 09:18:23 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Hiraku wrote:

According to a long interview with Enokido and Ikuhara, one of the Preview chats had Anthy saying this, "I can see so much without my glasses."

That quote is creepy and I love it. I think that Anthy's glasses are something of a gimmick, something that adds to the shy, introverted, doormat persona she plays so well early on in the series. I think the glasses--and the kinds of personalities associated with glasses--help the characters (Utena and Miki especially) to believe that she is what she pretends to be--i.e. a complete and total victim that's powerless to do anything, that needs to saved. And that's one of the things I've always loved about Anthy; she plays her part so well and I have a feeling that she loves doing it.

They are forcing her to see only through the lenses. In a sense, it means she is focused on few things at once. Sometimes you can see individual person reflecting off her glasses. Like a microscope or a magnifying glass, it may allow her to perform more intensive analysis on people, one at a time. It just wouldn't be able to let her see the bigger picture

As far as this goes, Hiraku, I agree that Anthy's glasses might inhibit her from seeing the "bigger picture". Although I like to think that, when the series begins, Anthy has been aware of the nature of her relationship with Akio--the abusive parts included--she might choose to "forget" the more distrubing parts sometimes, or to ignore them. But interestingly enough, it's only with Akio that she seems to take off her glasses. At least until she and Utena start sharing a bed-thing. So what does that mean? emot-wink

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

Board footer