This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:58:52 PM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Re: UTENA NOVEL: MIDORI NO OMOI

Wow. Just... a huge THANK YOU to all of you who are working hard on this project. You guys rock. etc-love

#27 | Back to Top12-14-2006 07:24:50 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Sorry I haven't been able to post the next part yet....last week of school, you know how that is.
It should be up by THIS weekend though. emot-redface

#28 | Back to Top12-16-2006 02:08:23 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

I'm a bit confused about the timeline of this book. In the last part, the book said that Utena had just dueled with Miki, but now this part mentions that Touga had taken part in inviting her to the last duel she fought. Since Touga appears later in this chapter, I really don't think Utena's dueled with him yet (he wouldn't be at school). So I guess I will just take the Touga reference in this part to be his influence on Miki's challenging Utena to a duel.

Chapter One, part 2

"So, Utena. About my makeup compact, do you wanna come with me after school? I was wanting to get a new one."

Afternoon break. Wakaba was talking to Utena while aimlessly pushing the green peas in her rice pilaf around. Already, there was quite a large pile of greens in the corners of her tray. Utena watched her efforts with half amazement, half admiration.

"Ne, Wakaba. Why don't you eat your peas? They're good for you."

"Noo," was the immediate reply. For Wakaba, eating them was just not an option.

"Well, then you shouldn't have asked for pilaf."

"But until last week they didn't have green peas in the pilaf! That's such a conspiracy. It's oppression! Thievery!"[1]

"Um. Thievery isn't quite like that, I think," said Utena, seemingly unsurprised by Wakaba's outburst. But Wakaba didn't seem to mind. Her mood lightened, but even still, she continued pushing the peas around on her tray, changing the subject.

"Anyway, enough about that. Come shopping with me day after tomorrow, after school? You've got tennis this afternoon, and soccer tomorrow, but the day after that should be open. Basketball's not till the beginning of next week, and you're volunteering for the archery tournament next week too..."

Wakaba continued rattling off Utena's schedule. She had it all memorized, one thing she was extremely proud of.

"Sure, ok. After school the day after tomorrow."

"But Utena-sama, the day after tomorrow is..."

Suddenly, Anthy interrupted them. Both Utena and Wakaba turned to look at her in surprise. It was rare that Anthy ever brought up anything on her own. If she did not speak to Utena, it was not unusual for her to go for days without speaking a word.

"Huh? What's the day after tomorrow?"

"We promised to go to buy a new necktie for Chuchu..."

"Ohh, that's right." Utena suddenly remembered a bit guiltily the conversation she and Anthy had had the night before - she'd lost to Chuchu playing cards, so she'd promised that she would buy him a new tie.

"Sorry, Wakaba. Is some other day ok?"

"Uh....sure," Wakaba said, in a voice that indicated her obvious displeasure.

"It can't be helped. I promised her first."

"Whatever."

"I'm sorry, Wakaba-san."

"So why are you apologizing?"

"Yeah, Anthy, you don't have to apologize."

Blame and defense - Utena and Wakaba were saying the exact same thing with two very different tones of voice.

"But Chuchu is my-"

"He's my friend too, Anthy."

"Of course, Utena-sama." Anthy had hung her head, but it lifted at Utena's kind words. To Wakaba, the two of them looked like companionable lovers. A kind girl and her consoling boyfriend - even to Wakaba, that was almost how that strange atmosphere seemed. She had the feeling that no third party could penetrate that, and her sullen voice reflected that when she spoke.

"So Utena, what about my shopping trip?" She'd been Utena's best friend, but there was nothing fun about it now with Utena and Anthy together all the time.

"Hmm let's see. How about that next day, Thursday?"

"OK! Thursday it is. That's what we decided, all right? We'll get matching compact cases!"

"Ugh." Utena made a face at Wakaba's unexpected counterattack. "That's all right. I don't really think I'm that kind of girl..."

"It's not if you are or aren't! You're a girl! You're in junior high now, so you have to have at least one to carry around with you."

"Is that right."

"That's right. Putting makeup on before going to see a guy you like is normal. N-O-R-M-A-L."

"But, I don't have any guy that I like..." A bit sulkily, Utena shoved a potato into her mouth. Into her mind floated the face of the Seitokaichou - Kiryuu Touga.

For some reason, I keep thinking about him...

Since Touga's invitation to the uproar of that last duel, she had seen neither hide nor hair of him. She hadn't heard that he had gotten hurt, so she wondered if he just hadn't been at school.

"What's wrong, Utena? You're quiet. Ooh, can it be that you've got a boy who you like?" Wakaba's hand stilled from pushing the green peas around. She was as nosy as ever.

"No way. You're my boyfriend, right? I can't believe you're in love with someone else-!"

"Look here, Wakaba."

"Nope nope nope! The only person you can be a prince to is me. I won't like boys either, just like you! Yes!"

At Wakaba's words, Utena smiled crookedly. "Whoa, what do you mean 'just like you'? I do like boys, you know."

[1] A bit of rhyming wordplay in Japanese. These words don't have anything in common, but their endings rhyme, which is why Wakaba thinks it's funny
陰謀: inbou (conspiracy)
横暴: oubou (oppression)
泥棒: dorobou (robber)

#29 | Back to Top12-16-2006 04:16:41 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

etc-love

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#30 | Back to Top12-17-2006 04:12:18 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

etc-love

etc-love etc-love

Thanks for doing this!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#31 | Back to Top12-17-2006 04:48:00 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Thanks, Ger! emot-keke etc-love emot-keke

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#32 | Back to Top12-18-2006 06:35:14 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

etc-love JOY, huge thanks!

#33 | Back to Top12-22-2006 07:47:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger, if you'd like a custom title, something along the lines of BEST PERSON EVER or GOD or something, you're most welcome to it. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#34 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:26:17 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

XD hey guys, sorry about the delay. I was on vacation for the last two weeks. I've started the next section and it should be up quite soon (this week sometime) emot-kekev

#35 | Back to Top01-03-2007 10:06:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger wrote:

XD hey guys, sorry about the delay. I was on vacation for the last two weeks. I've started the next section and it should be up quite soon (this week sometime) emot-kekev

I forgive you, because you rule and it's totally worth the wait. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#36 | Back to Top02-01-2007 12:44:05 PM

Black Mantha
Mikage Mistruster

Ger wrote:

I'm a bit confused about the timeline of this book. In the last part, the book said that Utena had just dueled with Miki, but now this part mentions that Touga had taken part in inviting her to the last duel she fought. Since Touga appears later in this chapter, I really don't think Utena's dueled with him yet (he wouldn't be at school). So I guess I will just take the Touga reference in this part to be his influence on Miki's challenging Utena to a duel.

Maybe the novels use parts from the manga-continuity? Touga definitely had something to do with that there, but you mentioned the Black Rose, and that's anime-only.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
- Winston Churchill

#37 | Back to Top02-01-2007 06:27:00 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Hi guys, um just a note to say I'm really not dead, and that I honestly have been working on this novel. RL got in the way. I'm halfway done with the second section, which has Saionji, Touga, screaming fangirls, and kendo. I hopefully shall post it this weekend. emot-keke;;

#38 | Back to Top02-01-2007 06:59:24 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Ger wrote:

Hi guys, um just a note to say I'm really not dead, and that I honestly have been working on this novel. RL got in the way. I'm halfway done with the second section, which has Saionji, Touga, screaming fangirls, and kendo. I hopefully shall post it this weekend. emot-keke;;

No worries!  We all know how hectic life can be. Thanks for all of your hard work and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

#39 | Back to Top02-01-2007 09:53:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger wrote:

Saionji, Touga, screaming fangirls, and kendo

My god, it's like the book knew what I updated the site with! emot-aaa

#40 | Back to Top02-11-2007 07:22:48 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

HERE IT IS *DIES* Sorry for the long wait, guys. I HAVE finished reading the book, and it is a bit weird. I don't think it fits into the anime continuity quite right, or if it does, I'm missing something. I don't know anything about the manga, so this might be based more on the manga storyline? I guess once I get into later chapters you guys can let me know.

Here is the 3rd part of chapter 1.

------

All of the buildings at Ohtori Private Academy were built in the Western style. The school building, a magnificent gothic structure. The birdcage-like greenhouse. The main gate, shaped like a giant arch. The chairman's tower which contained an astronomical observatory...all these buildings which might be mistaken for Western museums.

The kendo building, which was located a little far off from the main school buildings, was the only building built in a Japanese style. Of course, it had been built using the best quality lumber, the product of the best skilled craftsmen. However, unlike the other buildings, it did not give off the same magnificent air, but instead a feeling of simplicity. Influenced by the interests of the designer, the completed building was a quiet, calm structure.

But now, that normally calm kendo hall was filled with the bright shouts and screams of girls.

"Touga-samaaa!! You're soooo cool!"

"Saionji-samaaa!! So sexy!!"*

"Gawd, both of them are soo hot!"

"Look over here!!!!"

All around the walls of the kendo hall, these girl students were crowding. Raising their voices, readying their cameras, simply holding their breath in anticipation...there were all types of girls. But their eyes were all focused together out on the middle of the kendo hall floor, where two men in traditional kendo garb were facing each other.

Long hair. Long legs. Handsome features.

Though at first impression they looked completely different, it would not be wrong to call them both "beautiful boys."

The one with the red hair and elegant look was Kiryuu Touga, the president of the school's student council, and vice captain of the Kendo Club. The other - with his wavy green hair - was Saionji Kyouichi, vice president of the student council and captain of the Kendo Club. Compared to the playboy Touga, he was standoffish, a stoic boy who the girls never came close to.

"How many times have we fought before this?"

Touga spoke as he swung his shinai downwards. [1]

"Who knows? I stopped counting after a hundred," Saionji replied, bring his shinai up to the halfway point.

The two childhood friends had been sparring together since they were little. As a result, today's match was not anything special for either one of them. However, for the girls in the crowds, it was a significant affair. A chance to see the two princes of the school - Touga and Saionji - both in the same place at once. And even better, in a kendo match. Encouraged by the uncertainty of not knowing which one was going to win, the excitement in the galleries had swelled incredibly.

In contrast to their surroundings, Touga and Saionji continued to banter back and forth lightly.

"I heard you were hitting on Tenjou Utena."

"Oh, does that irritate you? I thought you were the one going after the Rose Bride though you're not even the prince."

"Don't change the subject." With a put-out expression, Saionji shifted his stance to raise his weapon above his head. The overhead stance - this one stance alone had the powerful punch to take out any opponent.

"Ho- I see it's a sore subject for you. So, you're going to duel her again?"

"Obviously. That last duel was a mistake. It is only fitting that the Rose Bride be engaged to me," Saionji said without hesitation, without a slightest hint of doubt that he was speaking the truth.

In this manner the two of them continued circling the floor of the dojo. The lively shouts of the girls didn't abate one bit. As if urging the duel out to its conclusion, they crowded around the two boys.

Cheering encouragement.

Tension.

A glance.

A searching heart.

Hope.

Longing.

Pride.

All these myriad things swirled around each other through the dojo.

"Ta-----!"

As if cutting through them, Saionji let out a fighting cry as he brought down his shinai from overhead in one swift motion. Facing him, Touga swung his shinai upward, aiming for Saionji's throat. Watching them, it almost seemed like they both moved at exactly the same time.

Like the cries of wounded birds, the shouts of rhe girls swelled....

-----------------

[1] just a brief note for people who might not know kendo terminology - the bamboo sword used is called a shinai

#41 | Back to Top02-11-2007 05:15:06 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I believe they have a simplified version of that in the show, I could be wrong, horribly wrong, if not, that was a very enoyable read and it's easy to imagine it somewhere in episode 2. Though I don't think Touga was really hitting on Utena much by that point. Ah whatever! Well done!

#42 | Back to Top02-11-2007 06:19:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Ger, I love you almost as much as I love Saionji in his kendo outfit being cocky. etc-love

Xu Yuan wrote:

I believe they have a simplified version of that in the show, I could be wrong, horribly wrong, if not, that was a very enoyable read and it's easy to imagine it somewhere in episode 2. Though I don't think Touga was really hitting on Utena much by that point. Ah whatever! Well done!

The events obviously come before his second duel but we don't see Saionji and Touga fighting until episode 9. Also, Saionji's the sort that would interpret a sidelong glance from Touga as him hitting on a girl.

Last edited by Giovanna (02-11-2007 06:21:15 PM)

#43 | Back to Top02-11-2007 09:13:44 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Thank you, Ger! I was wondering whether you'd forgotten about us! etc-love

So glad to see you back here-- you need to come visit more often! etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#44 | Back to Top02-12-2007 09:36:41 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Yasha wrote:

Thank you, Ger! I was wondering whether you'd forgotten about us! etc-love

So glad to see you back here-- you need to come visit more often! etc-love

No, I certainly have NOT forgotten about you! I've just been swamped with school x_x I don't expect it to get much better, but I'll continue translating!

#45 | Back to Top02-12-2007 12:30:24 PM

Black Mantha
Mikage Mistruster

Giovanna wrote:

etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Ger, I love you almost as much as I love Saionji in his kendo outfit being cocky. etc-love

Xu Yuan wrote:

The events obviously come before his second duel but we don't see Saionji and Touga fighting until episode 9. Also, Saionji's the sort that would interpret a sidelong glance from Touga as him hitting on a girl.

I think the books tell the story of or are close to the manga.

a) There, Touga hit on Utena right after the first duel.
b) The buildings are described as "gothic". I checked the definition on wikipedia, and while manga Ohtori is pretty much textbook gothic, while in the anime it looks more baroque* (well, mostly. putting that much frills on the building would have killed off half the background artists.)
c) It mentions archery. I don't remember that from the anime, but there is a scene of Utena at the archery club.

But also in the manga, Saionji gets his second duel before Miki gets his. Maybe the parts aren't in chronological order?

* Movie? Escher.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
- Winston Churchill

#46 | Back to Top02-13-2007 09:04:42 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Black Mantha wrote:

I think the books tell the story of or are close to the manga.

a) There, Touga hit on Utena right after the first duel.
b) The buildings are described as "gothic". I checked the definition on wikipedia, and while manga Ohtori is pretty much textbook gothic, while in the anime it looks more baroque* (well, mostly. putting that much frills on the building would have killed off half the background artists.)
c) It mentions archery. I don't remember that from the anime, but there is a scene of Utena at the archery club.

But also in the manga, Saionji gets his second duel before Miki gets his. Maybe the parts aren't in chronological order?

* Movie? Escher.

Hmm....this could be? I'm really not sure. There are parts of the book that definitely go "behind the scenes" so to speak of both the manga and the anime, as it should since this is the story of Wakaba and Saionji. However, the later part of the book is just weird, and in the end when Utena does fight Saionji, it's definitely not the same as his anime duel at all. But I won't spoil it for you guys.

Anyway, since the next part was short and sweet, I got it out for y'all in record time! XDDD

------------------------

Utena and Anthy, and also Wakaba, were passing by in front of the kendo hall just then, heading to the tennis courts across from the dojo.

"What's going on here?" Utena wondered, seeing the crowd of girl students gathered in front of the dojo.

"Ah, I wonder?"

"Oh, yeah. Must be the president and vice-president fighting it out again."

Anthy stood with her head tilted and Wakaba, the girl who was always on top of every new fad and gossip tidbit on campus, answered. For Utena, who didn't pay attention to these things, she was an essential source of information.

"President and vice-president...?"

"So-" Wakaba continued, and then faltered. "Uh...the student council president and vice president...?"

"Ohh, Touga and Saionji."

As Utena said the name "Saionji" softly, Wakaba turned her face away a little bit. She still hadn't been able to  forgot the events of one month ago, and still felt weak and embarassed. She'd regained her normal cheerfulness, but deep inside her heart, the thorn remained. This side of Wakaba was one that Utena did not know.

"So the two of them are fighting inside the dojo. I wonder who's stronger? Saionji's the kendo club president, so I wonder if he's better?"

"Ah, who knows?" As usual, Anthy's interjections were completely lacking interest. Utena, who by this time had grown used to this, didn't appear to notice and instead gazed toward the dojo.

"Ne, Utena, let's go. The tennis match is starting."

"Ah. Yeah."

At Wakaba's words, Utena started walking without a backwards glance. Of course, Anthy followed right behind her. However...

I'm a bad person.

Only Wakaba spared a parting glance to the dojo, that dojo which until one month ago she had walked by time and time again...
------------------

....that's it! The next part is quite long and deals with Juri and Miki. I won't hazard a guess as to when I'll have it ready, as I'm going out of town this weekend and the next. But hopefully soon! school-eng101

#47 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:01:24 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

etc-love

You're still awesome, even though I'm running out of ways to express it short of going to where you are and offering...favors. school-devil

I'm writing a Saionji essay! There is that. emot-smile But anyway, do continue to translate, and don't worry about rushing it. We (most of us, anyway) do have lives.

Also poor Wakaba. emot-frown

#48 | Back to Top02-15-2007 07:57:56 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Giovanna wrote:

etc-love

You're still awesome, even though I'm running out of ways to express it short of going to where you are and offering...favors. school-devil

Oooh....favors....school-devil
XD

Seriously thank you for the support. I really love this book and would have never discovered it if not for you guys and your forum! It's great to see such an awesome crowd of Utena fans.

And even if no one was reading it, there are some really cute Wakaba and Saionji moments later on in the next chapter that have to be shared with the world XD

#49 | Back to Top02-15-2007 08:22:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh no! Not cute moments! I'll die of sugar overdose!

etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#50 | Back to Top02-15-2007 09:41:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger wrote:

Seriously thank you for the support. I really love this book and would have never discovered it if not for you guys and your forum! It's great to see such an awesome crowd of Utena fans.

Awww, shucks. emot-redface I'm just glad to find there's still interest enough to keep a forum running, and still things to be found, and still debate over every silly topic we can think of. emot-biggrin

Ger wrote:

And even if no one was reading it, there are some really cute Wakaba and Saionji moments later on in the next chapter that have to be shared with the world XD

Oh, but we are, thanks to you! etc-love And that's right, just tease me. I'm normally opposed on a deep, philosophical level to anything mushy and cute, but when it involves Saionji and Wakaba suddenly it's less a fuse getting short and more me hopping up and down squealing and thinking they're so stupidly adorable.

...and sad. emot-frown I think that was the appeal with Saionji and Wakaba. They act so adorable together and it's so plain how easily the next step could be taken but Saionji's too much of an idiot to let it happen and they end up walking right by what they both needed and would have been happy with. emot-frown

emot-frown

Board footer