This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2008 12:17:34 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

To everyone waiting for something new from Ikuni!

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#2 | Back to Top11-17-2008 12:44:29 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Re: To everyone waiting for something new from Ikuni!

Cheers d00d

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#3 | Back to Top11-17-2008 01:01:01 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Also there is this:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Exists-Me-1/dp/1598160346

The drawings are by Saito but the story is by Be-Papas, which of course includes Ikuhara-sama.

It has similiar themes to Utena, more Princes and Devils and Witches and Princesses, but with time traveling! I have the first two volumes.

20 threads dead so far.

#4 | Back to Top11-17-2008 02:11:10 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

hollow_rose wrote:

I have the first two volumes.

It looks like it's not going beyond 2 volumes, unfortunately.  Unless they're writing it every 5 years or so.  Such shame, because it was a really cool concept.

#5 | Back to Top11-17-2008 04:25:18 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

There's not much to comment on at the moment, except... For the love of Utena, Ikuhara better make it good!! school-chef

#6 | Back to Top11-17-2008 04:50:33 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

It's categorized under "psychological". It's got to be! Not to mention R-rated. God only knows what he has in store for more insanity school-chef

#7 | Back to Top11-17-2008 04:53:38 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I sure wish there were more information.  10 years is too long...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#8 | Back to Top11-17-2008 04:57:52 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

According to this, it's a manga and a novel.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top11-17-2008 05:42:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

According to this, it's a manga and a novel.

Maybe, but PDM's link says it's TV.  Most likely it's all three; no popular manga goes unanimated for long, and it's safe to say that anything Ikuhara writes will be popular.

Though I wonder who this "Ikuhara Kunihito" character from PDM's link is emot-biggrin

For the non-Japanese-literate among us, Nokemono to Hanayome means "Outcast and Bride," though the former is an inexact translation; I think nokemono has a connotation of having been pushed out of the way that "outcast" doesn't quite have in English.

#10 | Back to Top11-17-2008 08:57:33 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Would "pariah" be closer, then?

#11 | Back to Top11-17-2008 09:04:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Duelist Megu wrote:

Possibly?  Unfortunately, I'm not good enough at Japanese to know the exact nuance.  Pariah comes from I believe the Arabic for the scavenger dogs who lurk on the outskirts of cities, entering at night to eat the detritus.  They're filthy, both literally and Islamically, and hence untouchable.  I don't think that's what nokemono means... but I could be wrong.
Edit: Wikipedia says I'm totally wrong on both the language of origin and the original meaning, so you should probably just ignore me.  What the fuck was I thinking of?...

Last edited by satyreyes (11-17-2008 09:14:46 PM)

#12 | Back to Top11-17-2008 09:58:52 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Duelist Megu wrote:

Possibly?  Unfortunately, I'm not good enough at Japanese to know the exact nuance.  Pariah comes from I believe the Arabic for the scavenger dogs who lurk on the outskirts of cities, entering at night to eat the detritus.  They're filthy, both literally and Islamically, and hence untouchable.  I don't think that's what nokemono means... but I could be wrong.
Edit: Wikipedia says I'm totally wrong on both the language of origin and the original meaning, so you should probably just ignore me.  What the fuck was I thinking of?...

I don't know, but as a linguistics student, I sure can't say I haven't made up my share of etymologies on the spot. ;)

"'Nerd' comes from the Hittite, meaning 'n-', for negation, and stem '-erd', earth, for a complete meaning of something like 'not of this earth'."
"Dude, seriously?"
"No, you moron!  Did you seriously think it was that old?  Like, I totally just made that shit up."
"emot-gonk"

#13 | Back to Top11-18-2008 12:00:25 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

The caption made me laugh because it sounded like an omiai:

"I will become your bride. That's why we should arrange the marriage immediately."

From that, I like to assume that nokemono is indeed a derogatory address to any man or woman who wasn't chosen (despite the elite status and probably because of an attitude problem and/or unpleasant family background) by the one searching for a lifetime partner--thus the English translation "reject" at the bottom of the Japanese title.

Edited to correct a misspelled word.

Last edited by Seitokaichou (11-18-2008 12:26:05 AM)

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#14 | Back to Top11-18-2008 12:44:20 AM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Mylene wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

I have the first two volumes.

It looks like it's not going beyond 2 volumes, unfortunately.  Unless they're writing it every 5 years or so.  Such shame, because it was a really cool concept.

*weeps bitter tears*

I am so sad. I just bought this series!

20 threads dead so far.

#15 | Back to Top11-18-2008 02:54:03 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

The image in my link can be magnified, is anyone good enough in japanese to translate what is written on the picture? Just to see if there is any relevant info on it?

#16 | Back to Top11-18-2008 05:50:00 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I know I'll read/watch it when it's available. *looks hungrily at Ikuni*

#17 | Back to Top11-18-2008 07:15:54 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

P.D.M. wrote:

The image in my link can be magnified, is anyone good enough in japanese to translate what is written on the picture? Just to see if there is any relevant info on it?

Sono shoujo wa, sekai de mottomo kiken na hanayome.
Sono shounen wa, dare kara mo aisarenai nokemono.
Futari wa unmei no kyouhansha.

Watashi wa anata no hanayome ni naru no.
Dakara watashitachi, ima sugu kekkonshiki wo agenaku'cha.

If I read the kanji perfectly (some of them were blurry) the rough translation would be:

That girl is the world's most dangerous bride.
That boy is unloved by all.
Together they are fated to be partners in crime.

I will become your bride. That's why we have to arrange the marriage immediately.

Like what I've previously posted, nokemono is a derogatory address to anyone who is considered unlucky in finding a lifetime partner.

Hope that helps!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#18 | Back to Top11-19-2008 07:46:07 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

I bought and really enjoyed The World Exists For Me (and was also saddened that it was apparently ended prematurely) so I will naturally check out anything Ikuhara and Be-Papas related. It is a little bit crazy that they've done so little since Utena.

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

#19 | Back to Top11-19-2008 11:43:53 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Thank you so much Seitokaichou!

Last edited by P.D.M. (11-19-2008 11:44:18 AM)

#20 | Back to Top11-19-2008 01:45:05 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Leroy wrote:

I bought and really enjoyed The World Exists For Me (and was also saddened that it was apparently ended prematurely) so I will naturally check out anything Ikuhara and Be-Papas related. It is a little bit crazy that they've done so little since Utena.

I know! I really liked that series! I wonder what happened to it, does anyone know?

Are they all really living off of Utena (and, for Ikuhara, Sailor Moon) royalties that long? Well I suppose the Sailor Moon franchise is probably big enough to keep him happy but the rest of the crew doesn't have that luxury. Maybe they are working on small side projects that are just not getting a lot of press? I have no idea. It seems very odd, though, especially as they had quite a fanbase with Utena. Wouldn't you want to exploit that by coming up with something new quickly?

20 threads dead so far.

#21 | Back to Top11-19-2008 02:23:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That girl is the world's most dangerous bride.
That boy is unloved by all.
Together they are fated to be partners in crime.

I will become your bride. That's why we have to arrange the marriage immediately.

This sounds...familiar.

Not that I object. Honestly, S&M just didn't work for me. Ikuhara I love but Saito is just a bit too...normal. emot-redface

Want SKU-style fun, read Shounen Ou. Or just look at the hideously suggestive artwork. school-freud

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#22 | Back to Top11-19-2008 02:51:10 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

So, would that nokemono word have a similar connotation to "old maid" except gender-neutral, or just "reject"?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#23 | Back to Top11-19-2008 04:06:59 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

You're very welcome, P.D.M.!

Giovanna wrote:

This sounds...familiar.

I had that same reaction. Like what was stated on the teaser image, it was introduced in the market as a 'dangerous love visual story'. I could just assume that the rating R-17+ either comes from the Kunihiko Ikuhara Metaphors™ or for the yakuza-type of violence--with sex not being an exception. Huzzah? school-freud

rhyaniwyn wrote:

So, would that nokemono word have a similar connotation to "old maid" except gender-neutral, or just "reject"?

If it concerns omiai (formal marriage arrangement), the latter fits the term nokemono. In Japan, anyone can simply call someone (even as old as 26) an "old maid" or ojiichan/obaachan (grandfather/grandmother) like a poke at being loveless or without a boyfriend/girlfriend, but not necessarily because he/she has chosen to be single for life.

#24 | Back to Top11-19-2008 05:03:00 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Checking out the Japanese Wiki article...

Novel themes: oppression, incest. (emot-dance)

Seems that there are several characters who wear animal suits (bear costume, rabbit costume) whose identities are unknown. Disturbing.

Also...

The manga runs in Kera as does the novel, and one Asumiko Nakamura provides art for both. It seems that Nakamura takes the lead on the manga, and at some point Ikuhara told her "I don't care if you don't follow the novel".

I'm completely caught between laughing, cheering, and rolling my eyes.

Last edited by Shiva Indis (11-19-2008 05:09:09 PM)

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#25 | Back to Top11-19-2008 06:31:55 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'd love to see a translation, but there just aren't enough translators out there for that sort of thing--we still haven't seen the Utena novels. emot-frown

S&M got the most press stateside because of Saito, but the big things Ikuhara did after SKU prior to this are Schell Bullet (novels with artwork by whathisballs that did Five Star Stories, which I've always wanted to get my hands on), and Shounen Ou, another novel thing with the artist responsible for the animation in SKU. (Does anyone have the URL of that site? It had I think a complete translation...fun stuff, and yes, Ikuhara's a good novelist.)

I had always hoped the release of the Vampire Hunter D novels would encourage that sort of thing, but it doesn't seem to have, and people are much less likely to translate novels than manga, so we don't see much of Ikuhara, who hasn't been terribly prolific anyway.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer