This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-07-2013 06:41:19 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Historical and socio-cultural context behind Utena

Hey guys, turn down the heat in here. You can have opposing opinions without attacking each other; this isn't a race to be "right." If there even is a "right."

And Aelanie, please remember that your opinion of the series is necessarily different from the opinions of others and allow their opinions some respect in our shared space. It may very well be that Utena and Anthy are supposed to be lesbian lovers, but those who are going strictly from the information in the series itself may find it more meaningful to them to interpret it differently. They will want to talk about that interpretation as well. If you feel someone is not giving your views enough respect, please let the mods know and we will come to back you up, but right now it looks like you're trying to enforce the One Truth of a series that benefits more from multiple points of view.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#27 | Back to Top09-07-2013 07:02:51 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Yasha wrote:

Hey guys, turn down the heat in here. You can have opposing opinions without attacking each other; this isn't a race to be "right." If there even is a "right."

And Aelanie, please remember that your opinion of the series is necessarily different from the opinions of others and allow their opinions some respect in our shared space. It may very well be that Utena and Anthy are supposed to be lesbian lovers, but those who are going strictly from the information in the series itself may find it more meaningful to them to interpret it differently. They will want to talk about that interpretation as well. If you feel someone is not giving your views enough respect, please let the mods know and we will come to back you up, but right now it looks like you're trying to enforce the One Truth of a series that benefits more from multiple points of view.

The only truth I am "enforcing" is the truth of creative intention. People are perfectly free to interpret however they please as long as they are aware of the dichotomy between what they may choose to believe and what the creators intended.

However, I do reserve the right to have opinions about those opinions, just as everyone does. Admittedly, I may have made use of that right in a confrontational and perhaps overly aggressive manner. Believe me when I say that isn't something that gives me pleasure. Really, I find the whole thing frustrating precisely because, on this one particular facet of the franchise, the creative intentions have been made far more clear than on almost anything else.

What is "the power to revolutionize the world"? Who and what are Akio and Anthy, really? What is Ohtori? On these and so many other questions, the staff of Utena have been intentionally silent, and there is no doubt that the franchise benefits from that lack of "hand-holding", as it were. But this one single point, the nature of Utena and Anthy's relationship, an exceptionally consistent, clear, and public stance has been taken.

I'd simply like there to be more acknowledgement of that, and it has been acknowledged - here, now, in this thread, at least - I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-07-2013 07:07:18 PM)

#28 | Back to Top09-07-2013 07:29:41 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

At the same time your need for acknowledgement is derailing the thread and causing bad feeling with other posters. I know that's not what you mean to do, but it's what you have accomplished here, and no one but you likes this outcome.

So please, keep a leash on it. Forcing others to acknowledge your viewpoint only makes them dislike you, and dislike the opinion you're trying to promote. If you continue to promote your own opinions at the expense of the discussions you're trying to join, I will start to suspend you for it. Make a thread for that topic. Write an essay about it and submit it to the site. Do something constructive with your opinion instead.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top09-07-2013 07:52:24 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Yasha wrote:

Forcing others to acknowledge your viewpoint only makes them dislike you, and dislike the opinion you're trying to promote. If you continue to promote your own opinions at the expense of the discussions you're trying to join, I will start to suspend you for it. Make a thread for that topic. Write an essay about it and submit it to the site. Do something constructive with your opinion instead.

Forgive me, but I am not promoting any opinions of my own, as I thought I had just made clear. I am pointing out the facts of the creative intentions. Those are not negotiable interpretations of the work itself, they are the actual concrete realities of the history of Utena's development. Acknowledgement of those realities, not any "viewpoint" of mine,  is all that I ask for, and I believe it is little enough to want. Since that has already occured, I'm sure it would be a relief to many - and myself not least - if we could consider the matter closed.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-07-2013 08:03:28 PM)

#30 | Back to Top09-07-2013 08:05:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

This thread is pretty much scorched earth for a while anyway, so...

Your insistence on acknowledgement of Utena and Anthy's lesbian relationship is a derail in a topic about the socio-cultural context of SKU regardless of what the creators have or haven't said about the show. If I do catch this happening again, in any thread, I will hand out suspension for it. I'm going to let you off on continuing a disagreement that should have been dropped the first, or even the second, time I had to make a moderation post about it because I had forgotten to tell you to pm me if you want to discuss it further, but in the future please keep in mind that this isn't your personal soapbox, it's a place you have to share with others, and that means that you have to follow the rules.

Please pm me if you want to discuss this further. I would genuinely like to find a resolution for this because I know that this topic is one you feel strongly about.

#31 | Back to Top09-08-2013 12:05:55 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

(Maybe we should steer clear of author-intent or who-counts-as-author for now. That, and condescension, seem to be damaging the conversation more than helping.)

I just can't see the value in, say, examining Saved By the Bell based on gender and sex role expectations of the Old West or saying it hinges on understanding or confronting those values.

It's a statement that feels big, but what does it get us?

The concept, in anglo cultures, of "childhood" is a Victorian era construct, as much as shojo is a late-Meiji era construct. And, those dynamics inform Utena on an integral level about as much as 19th Century mores and dynamics inform the schemes of Zack Morris. Which, is to say that, yes, they do inform in a broad and implicit fashion, but there are much more significant (and contemporary) factors at play.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer