This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-01-2012 06:16:08 AM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

THE FEELS - Emotional Anime/fandom moments

So what things hurt the most? I for one have a few make it difficult to rewatch, here they are:

I have only seen the Utena ending ONCE. I was torn up at the beauty and pain. It was so breathtaking hurt right in the feels. I plan on doing a marathon of the whole series soon, so hopefully I can see it again, but it hurt.

The Sailor Moon Sailor Stars ending is emot-gonk for any fan. Haruka and Michiru's segment had me crying ugly tears, and I never fail to get chills at the thought of the Starlights attacking Galaxia, streaming through space.

Studio Ghibli movies are so uplifting they're painful. Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro and Ponyo not so much, but my heart aches at the thought of Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle.

OH MY GOD IF ANYONE HAS SEEN GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES I THINK YOU KNOW WHAT PAIN IS.

...that's all for now.

Last edited by Varla (11-01-2012 09:23:36 AM)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/mekei_004/anime%20and%20cartoons%20and%20whatever%20004/saiLor%20moon%20004/penuranus.gif
The World's a Mess, it's in my Kiss

#2 | Back to Top11-01-2012 07:04:41 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: THE FEELS - Emotional Anime/fandom moments

[Is there a way to do spoilers on IRG? There is, isn't there?]

Wakaba running off and crying in episode one. Yeah, I know, it's this little thing and it's the first ep, but I still can barely watch the screen while it happens. Shit tears me up.

When Carina kills herself amidst grief, bashing her head against the wall during a huge fire, in Terra E. I never want to grab someone out of a cartoon and tell them it'll be okeh so badly as when watching that.

Eat-Man's focus-character of each episode is usually entirely blind to their actual circumstances and that can get pretty heartbreaking. The soldier who'll be executed for treason or even the bounty hunter hitting on Bolt in the first episode is even worse in retrospect or on future watchings.

Watching the resident mad scientist completely fuck up his friendship with one of the pilots, in Nadesico, because he can't seem to remember he's got a wife and child and not every woman wants him around for the sex.

Alice's super-panic crying in Please Save My Earth. Every time. Even when it's over something childish. Every single time.

For non-sad moments, because not all feelings are disemboweling, tear-jerking, hollow-chested panic, grief, and desolation...

Harlock asking ye space cop there to arrest him if he came of his own accord, or just because he was ordered. When the cop says it's by choice, Harlock kills him. That's some kind of respect, there.

The teddybear in Mahou Tsukai Tai, especially the big one. Yay! Squee! Daaaawww!

The end of Pale Cocoon, when our boy, Ura, finds out the truth of his homeland and sees outside. Just beautiful.

Natsuko walking through a billion spent gold shells and flying rounds to just kick ass. That don't wake you up and make you take notice, you have no remaining soul.

Dee and Ryo from Fake should get on my nerves, especially Dee and how selfish he can be, the whole date rapeyness. But, you know, it's so cartooned and so earnest it's distressingly cute. Especially the scene in the boat.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top11-01-2012 07:30:33 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

When Ash takes the attacks from the Spearows. That shit was so cash.

Spoils~  When that bitch Nanami killed that kitten. Every. Time. I rage incredibly hard and the break down at the thought of a dead kitten.

Grave of the Fireflies. The whole movie. Just, damn it.

The end of Digimon season 1, Episode 54 (The Fate of Two Worlds). Shit, the closing of this episode/season chokes me up each time.

Episode 13 of Gunslinger Girl. Shit, that was so damn deep. Also, all of the classical music in the series. Just, HHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGG.

#4 | Back to Top11-01-2012 08:58:45 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I don't think a movie ever made me cry as hard as Grave of the Fireflies. That movie is painful.

Utena gives me lots of feels (THAT ENDING), but I don't think it's ever actually made me tear up.

#5 | Back to Top11-01-2012 09:46:00 AM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

Yeah...Grave of the Fireflies to date is the only film I have cried during.I watched it with a friend, one who is pretty mean and makes fun of every movie, even very depressing ones. He started bawling during it. SPOILERS: On imdb, someone noted the line, "FOOD?! Where am I supposed to get food?!"  Seita yells at the indifferent doctor sums up a lot of the suffering the people of Japan faced during and after WW2. Seeing Seita get beat up after trying to steal food is downright pitiful, they were children with no options. Setsuko's death is just...there's are no words.

Not an anime or fandom, but there's a film, 1900, directed by Bernado Bertolucci. It has one moment of such extreme evil I didn't cry during the scene, but later on thinking about it. And I have sat through some very disturbing films and footage, but something about the brutality of this scene is a harrowing experience.  If you want to know what is depicted : ( a young boy is kidnapped by two of the characters. We are supposed to assume he is raped as the scene begins with his wiping tears off his face and pulling up his pants. One of the kidnappers then proceeds to mentally torment him and it escalates to him grabbing the boy and swinging him around by his feet. The boy's head hits a wall and his head is smashed open. )

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/mekei_004/anime%20and%20cartoons%20and%20whatever%20004/saiLor%20moon%20004/penuranus.gif

#6 | Back to Top11-01-2012 02:26:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Pretty much everything makes me cry, no matter how predictable it is, save most romantic drama. 

-Utena ending, of course.  But it's a good, happy cry.
-"I Remember You" episode of Adventure Time.  One of the kinds of episodes that made me dream after I watched it, because the images and story just wouldn't leave me.
- Tarrlok and Noatak's fate in Legend of Korra.  Noatak is just so happy to be reunited with Tarrlok and to have been forgiven and maybe there is some sort of potential for recovery or change or redemption and then.... and it's just so dark, and the animation and the music drives it home, the ambiance of the Northern landscapes and still skies... and you feel like it was somehow both avoidable but inevitable.  It deals with themes of child abuse, and abandonment, and identity, so much for a show no one was expecting to go that far considering all the romance BS.
-Harry Potter.  No matter how dark the books got, or how often the deaths occurred during the climaxes of each book, in a way, you still never saw the deaths coming.  Because you didn't want to.
-Pretty much every Disney movie heh you animate it for some reason I'll take it that more personally and let it hit that much closer to home.

Then there is the kinda stuff that doesn't tear me up or get me super emotional, but eats at me and lingers and makes me stop and ponder and try and figure out just what it is I feel, and what that means.  Like a fog, not unpleasant or painful, not by any means bright and happy, but very emotionally profound in a way that I can't categorize intellectually.   Like The Jungle Book, or the ending of Madoka Magicka.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-01-2012 02:35:50 PM)

#7 | Back to Top11-01-2012 02:41:33 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

-Pretty much every Disney movie heh you animate it for some reason I'll take it that more personally and let it hit that much closer to home.

Yeah... animation usually tends to engage me more than live action. Well, there was this one live action movie... but I was on my lady time then. emot-tongue

#8 | Back to Top11-01-2012 03:23:10 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

The end of Mawaru Penguindrum. emot-gonk  I watched it in Japanese the first time and I didn't understand what they were saying, but I was sobbing.  It was worse when I could understand!

Natsume Yuujinchou - A lot of episodes made me cry...maybe I'm just overly emotional. XD Especially during the episodes where we saw something about Natsume's past. emot-frown Or when Natsume himself cried...that always made weep!

Petshop of Horrors has a lot of sad moments. emot-frown One in particular stands out in my mind - it was about this girl who was living with her family...only, it turned out she was a ghost and they weren't really her family. She was the ghost of a dog (in PSoH the animals take on a human form) who had died in the same house - her owners had died in a car accident and she starved to death waiting for them to come home. Her ghost kept waiting for them and eventually she forgot what she was waiting for, and the new family moved in. It's sadder than it sounds. XD;

Fruits Basket - Yuki's past and Momiji's past were, imo, extremely sad.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-01-2012 03:24:24 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#9 | Back to Top11-02-2012 01:56:16 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Depressing feels:

Japanese Story. At the end, where Sandy tries to talk to Hiromitsu's wife in broken and terrible Japanese, trying to explain that Hiromitsu really did respect and care for his wife, even as he started an affair with Sandy.

Animal Farm. I wanted to cut my wrists.

Rabbit-Proof Fence. All of it, but especially when Grace is taken to the car by Riggs, and she looks back at Molly and Daisy but doesn't call out because she knows that Riggs would take them to.

Pan's Labyrinth, especially when it's deliberately made ambiguous as to whether Ofelia is seeing reality or whether she's in an elaborate hallucination right up until she dies.

One Hour Photo

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Piano Teacher; the book, where she learns absolutely nothing and goes on with her life as it is, absolutely twisted and destroyed and incapable of seeing her way out.

The Dreamers, where there's absolutely nothing to stop the twins from self-destructing.

Jumping the Queue by Mary Wesley. Ouch. Whiplash. Very, very nasty whiplash in a book full of little nasties.

Warm feels:

The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sheryll.

Spider and Rose.

The end of Angel Sanctuary, where you've been through so much that you've honestly happy when Setsuna and his sister can return to the world together and commit incest all over again.

Harnessing Peacocks, also by Mary Wesley.

Mixed feels:

The end of The Last Unicorn

Part of the Furniture, where Juno discovers that Jonty really did care for her, and so much has passed that she honestly doesn't care either way any more, and when they realise that their children are half brothers and sister and that they're unknowingly committing incest as a result.

The episode of Red Dwarf where alternatefuture!Lister is explaining to his baby self that no, he wasn't unwanted and abandoned as a baby; it's because he's so important and needed that he's left where he is.

Also from Red Dwarf, the episode where John F. Kennedy becomes his own gunman on the grassy knoll.

The end of the Emperor's Wife, where Chamberlain and Sabah are reunited and share their first kiss, even though the both of them have had (literally) pieces cut off of them by the Emperor and the Empress, and will never be whole again.

The end of The Piano. (Even though I know it is meant to be warm only)

Angel Sanctuary. where Zaphikiel realises finally that it's his son in front of him, just before the son has to kill him in self defense.

Hmm. There's a lot more here to list. Back later.

#10 | Back to Top11-02-2012 08:28:56 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I know I already mentioned Disney movies, but this relates more to the book -Peter Pan.  Does anyone else remember how that ends?  :C  Also, The Little Prince.

#11 | Back to Top11-02-2012 10:24:54 AM

Stephen
Rose Bride

Utena had a great sense of emotion to the ending, but I actually found fairly good solace in the last episode, and it actually didn't depress me immensely, I suppose because I was operating at such a "look at the symbolism" level and hadn't really bonded intensely with Utena. The bedroom scene ripped through me a lot more than the ending, funnily enough, because of how it placed me in that position, looking on her, and she seemed so divided.

The ending to Rose of Versailles though. With Andre, and then Oscar, and then they, and then and .... nope. I would cry while watching that series end, with people, any time. Like I think I need a grieving process for that wonderful wonderful series.

#12 | Back to Top11-02-2012 02:43:55 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Well, I found the ending of Utena very uplifting the second time I watched it, but the first time I watched it, I felt sad over how everyone seemed to forget Utena like Juri implied they would.

I don't usually get as immersed in things as I used to be, so it takes me some effort to come up with something that gives me feels. One thing that does affect me more these days, though, is character deaths. I guess having been close myself, it gets me thinking a lot.

#13 | Back to Top11-02-2012 02:50:11 PM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

I second The Dreamers, Angel Sanctuary and The Little Prince.

I was obsessed a bit with The Dreamers last year, and honestly was blown away with the beauty of it. Especially added with it's love for film, and how I slowly picked up all the references. It was at a difficult time in my life and I would be lying if I said it didn't help me through it. I think when they showed clips of The Girl Can't Help It is when I felt so much joy for the film. I loved that movie, a not so well known film with Jayne Mansfield, for years. I watch it every year on my birthday. Seeing that connection on the screen touched me. And then as mentioned the slow destruction of the main characters, they were somewhat doomed from the start. I own the novel, The Holy Innocents, and I can't bring myself to read it because of it might hurt right in the feels. On a side note, that film made me fall in love so much with Eva Green and Louis Garrel.

Angel Sanctuary is nothing but pure feels, from start to finish! One of the most emotionally draining mangas I've ever read, but worth it in everyway.

Twin Peaks the first time around was not that much of a sad rollercoaster, but more so a confusing well made one. Rewatching the series is now very melancholy. Right from the pilot episode with Donna's reaction to Laura's death, to ( Harold Smith's death, to Audrey being saved by Cooper, and the reveal of Leland Palmer as the murderer. So disturbing.). A lot of Lynch's work is like this for me, the Club Silencio scene in Mulholland Drive, The ending of The Elephant Man, etc. I own the soundtracks to all of them, and it's so ethereal.

And unexpected one: Death Note . I'm watching this for the first time, after reading the manga forever, and REM's story gets me. I know L upset a lot of people, but REM's sacrifice is heart wrenching.

Last edited by Varla (11-02-2012 02:52:02 PM)

#14 | Back to Top11-02-2012 06:19:44 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The manga Above Us, Savage God by Moto Hagio (about child sex abuse and post-urder trauma) is one emotional ride from start to finish.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#15 | Back to Top11-02-2012 06:24:38 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

gorgeousshutin wrote:

The manga Above Us, Savage God by Moto Hagio (about child sex abuse and post-urder trauma) is one emotional ride from start to finish.

Holy shit, yes it is.  So much of it is what fans mock as melodrama, but its too genuine to call it that.  When Ian undergoes duress thinking that he may just be exactly like his father, that's not just angst, his fears are very well founded.  He does reprehensible things, but it's clear that's because he's fucked up too, just not in the same way as Jeremy is.  And the best part?  All of this is presented without victim blaming, rape as love, or implying that his actions are right/we should woobie over him.

#16 | Back to Top11-02-2012 07:25:52 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I'm so glad there's someone else here who had read this aside from myself, OITL!  It is riveting psychodrama that every mature-minded manga fan could at least have a chance of trying out.   I so, so wish more of the english-speaking manga fandom could have better access to this (via scanlations or otherwise).  As far as I know, Above Us, Savage God has never been licensed in English . . .

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (11-02-2012 08:05:38 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#17 | Back to Top11-06-2012 01:54:26 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Only one anime moment tears at my heart. It's that scene in Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind when she screams while trying to protect the giant insect from the toxic water. It makes your blood freeze to hear an actor scream like that.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#18 | Back to Top11-08-2012 10:21:17 AM

Elin I.
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

In Utena, episode 34 (The Rose Crest), when we find out what really happened when Little Utena met the Prince (including Little Anthy on all those swords).

Also in Utena, the last two episodes ... basically every scene where swords play a central part. And the "At last, we meet!"/"Take my hand" scene.

Tell me no more stories and I'll tell you no lies / No-one wants to hurt me but everybody tries / And if you think that I've been waiting for my planets to align / It's time you go on, get your things, get out, get out / I'm doing fine
--Emilie Autumn, "Rose Red"

#19 | Back to Top11-08-2012 07:40:29 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

You'll Never Be Young Twice Episode#9 from Boogiepop Phantom hits me where I live every time I watch it.

And when I was a little younger the Juri episodes from Utena really dug the knife in and made me emotional, but only because I'd recently lived the weird paradigm of being very similar to Juri/Shiori/Ruka (at very close to the same time). It was very rattlingly, and I'm still not enitrely happy the way that triangle worked itself out.  The last two episodes (which got me severely fired by my friends and almost caused me to have to walk home from a late night viewing at a friends house).

I think Grave of the Fireflies goes without saying. It's beautiful, but so heart wrenchingly sad I've only been able to watch it a few times.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#20 | Back to Top11-09-2012 12:26:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I could make a top ten list, but most of it would be Kino's Journey.  I can make myself cry by thinking about the town at the end of Kino's Journey, or I can make myself cry by thinking about Kino at the end of Kino's Journey.  They are separate and related feels.  Additionally, every other episode of Kino's Journey.

Within SKU: "This normal is not what's normal for you."  Damn right I ship that.  "You, too, find somebody quickly and become happy."  Fools me every time.  "Weren't we gonna have tea and laugh together for our ten-year reunion?!"  It's not the line, it's the delivery; it's not the delivery, it's the cinematography.  And, naturally, the big stab.  And the big step.

Boogiepop Phantom's final shot and monologue by the clueless normal girl, Suema Kazuko.  Also -- yes, Alithea -- Saki's story.  That show has a lot of good stories, but I think Saki's is more of a gut-punch than any other.  Honorable mentions for Moto and Misuzu in episodes 1 and 3; they were terribly moving and human, but they didn't make me cry.

Time of Eve.  The whole damn thing is one dense feel.

The denouement of Angel Beats!.  It's not even that it's particularly good -- it doesn't even make any sense, it mostly just jerks you around -- but it had me crying like a baby.

The denouement of Tatami Galaxy.  This one did earn its wings.  It blindsided me completely, and was so good that it recontextualized everything that came before it, turning what had been an average show into a real, heartfelt work of art.

The disappearance of Sai in Hikaru no Go, at just the moment when Hikaru becomes a genius in his own right.

And any time a Tachikoma dies.

ETA: I have limited myself to anime on this list or it would go on forever, but I discover I cannot make a post about feels without at least giving a hat-tip to The Little Prince.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-09-2012 12:38:05 AM)

#21 | Back to Top11-12-2012 09:02:28 PM

teyhy
High Tripper
Website

Ahh, Utena's ending... my 10 year old cousin ran out of the room crying when Anthy falls at the end.
Tear jerkers usually hit you hard when you don't see them coming; Like you turn on you TV and Adventure Time is on, so you think that after a tiring day you can relax with cartoons...then something like "I remember you" happens. emot-gonk
I was a crying mess after reading Kafka's metamorphosis (Gregor, I'm looking at you).
Finally something a little funny emot-redface is that I cried the firts few times I watched Big Bang's "Haru haru". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCbEdtNbJ0

P.S totally unrelated but is so hard to concentrate on anything sad when you have this etc-saiowanketc-jurishlick constantly moving on top of the space where you are trying to write school-devil

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - H. Berlioz.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/teyhy/for%20fo/Untitled-1copy.jpg?t=1280266589

#22 | Back to Top11-13-2012 03:05:01 PM

Calamity
High Tripper

Satyr nailed it in Boogiepop for me. The final monologue just absolutely guts me. I first watched the series in 2003 or so and didn't do so again until around 2010. A lot had changed for me in that time frame so the final monologue of the series, paraphrased to basically be "These are the most important times for us now but when we look back on them, will we still feel that way?" absolutely rips my heart out and eats it.

Much like everyone else, the last two episodes of Utena get me every time. Not only that, but Juri's stories in all three arcs as well.

Princess Tutu: Rue's storyline. Full stop. I originally was not crazy about her but as the story moved on and more details of her life came out, I found myself deeply attached to her. There's one scene in episode 35 I think it is, very brief but it's quite honestly some of the most beautiful imagery I've ever seen in my life (when she is in the Land of Despair and believes she will dance herself to death).

EDIT: Also agreeing with Varla's mention of Lynch's work in general. For all its surrealist nature, Mulholland Drive is something that deeply touches me on a personal level. For that very reason I have not watched it in its entirety since 2006 or so.

Last edited by Calamity (11-13-2012 06:02:52 PM)

#23 | Back to Top11-14-2012 04:08:28 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

I'm also going to have to mention the end of SKU, that shot of Utena after Anthy falls from the platform gets me every time.

In Never Let Me Go, Tommy's scream near the end seemed to sum up all of the subtle tragety of the story.

And then A.I. Artificial Intelligence. I can't hear the words "Blue Fairy" without wanting to cry anymore.

Oh treachery!

#24 | Back to Top11-22-2012 01:11:24 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

In Lilo and Stitch; when Cobra tries to take Lilo away, and Nani screams at him to stop, that he can't take Lilo away because she is the only one who can give Lilo what she needs.

Don't know how I missed this one. Absolutely heart rending. Difficult to believe that something so real shows up in a Disney movie about aliens from out of space. The end, where Stitch tells them all that Lilo and Nani's family is 'little and broken, but still good,' that's a tear jerker. But not nearly as much as Nani crying.

#25 | Back to Top11-22-2012 12:20:09 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Lilo and Stitch is probably one of my favorite Disney movies. Some dude I talked with once didn't see the appeal, I guess because it's too "annoying" when characters react realistically to stressor. >_>

Board footer