This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-18-2010 07:18:29 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Rate Utena Dub by Character

Just curious, I know most hate the dub but there were some good performances right?

Utena
She was really good, I preferred her getting laid by Akio scene better than the Japanese version just because it sounded real. I noticed the actress is pretty good at the sensual scenes in the movie too, I guess it's her area of expertise lol. This actress was lacking in the emotional moments though, while she was still good she wasn't as powerful as the original actress.

Anthy
Her voice actress was very good and sympathetic at first but as the series went along she really started to suck. She kinda made the final moment unemotional. She did a good job in the film though throughout.

Touga
Meh? He was OK but sounded way too cheesy. He just got worse as the show went along.

Saionji
I think he is a good actor but his voice did not suit the character at all. He at least got the evil tone right. He was terrible at playing the younger Saionji though.

Miki
Voice actor is nice... was really missing the awesomeness that was the original actress though who sounded adorable. The dub actor wasn't awful though, I think he did an acceptable job.

Juri
This is a love hate thing, sometimes she was just as good as the original actress and sometimes she was downright crappy. I wonder why she wasn't consistent.

Akio
Emote dude emote, this actor had a nice voice but he didn't act at all, it was like having some robot reading the lines.

Wakaba
I know it sounds weird but I really liked her actress, she had the right amount of goofiness and cuteness. She needed to work harder on her emotional level though, the black rose duel was way powerful in the Japanese version, you didn't feel it as much in the dub.

Mikage
Best actor in the whole damn show, he was incredibly good and had the smoothest sounding voice. I liked his
"deeper, go deeper."

Nanami
Well she got better as she went along, she was better during the comedy moments. She isn't the best though, she sure did suck at first but I think she started to get into the character as the show went along and I could feel her passion so I can't hate.  The finale to her last duel was nice though.

Mitsuru
WORST ACTOR IN THE SHOW. What the hell is wrong with his voice?

ChuChu
Adorable, better than the original.

Kanae
Not as classy as the original but I thought her voice was beyond cute and she sure knew how to scream, I liked her.

Nanamis' admirers
Random I know but their voices pissed my off, they were awful and lacked the hilarious tone of the original actors.

Last edited by chrisb (01-18-2010 10:05:16 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top01-18-2010 08:45:51 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Rate Utena Dub by Character

The dub had the best line ever.

Saionji: For example, the love Anthy and I share is hidden love.

Saionji: ...That's HIDDEN LOVE.
Utena: Yeah, nice skirt Saionji.

Episode five, where it went straight from Kozue to Wakaba talking was REALLY WEIRD since they have the same voice and whatnot.

I think the strange thing with Miki, maybe also Mitsuru (Don't remember his VA), was that they were played by old dudes. I remember an interview, and this old man came out all Hi, I'm Miki!  And it was like woooah.

#3 | Back to Top01-18-2010 09:31:50 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I know how typical this is of me, but I genuinely find Lisa Ortiz to be the perfect Shiori. In fact, I actually prefer dub Shiori to sub Shiori.

Saionji
's English voice is so awesome because it's so terrible. That voice is just ridiculous, yet somehow, I love hearing it. It makes him 20x more hilarious.

I really love Wakaba's voice; so many fans (of any show) are critical of the transition between Japanese genki girl and English one, but the fact is, that's really hard to convey without being over the top. It's not at all unusual for a Japanese girl of Wakaba's age to have a very high-pitched, childish voice... but over here, it would sound weird. So while her voice isn't as "girlish" or young, she gives a great amount of energy and excitement to make up for it.

Miki doesn't really bother me, but I'll admit to the faults in his casting.

Kozue
is dynamite. Next to Shiori, I think she had the best dub voice. She's so sultry and and flirty, but at the same time, she's condescending and vicious. It's fantastic.

Ruka
is probably the worst casting choice for me. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT CREEPY ACCENT? So bad, it's laughable.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#4 | Back to Top01-18-2010 09:35:16 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Forgot about Shiori, I agree her dub actress was awesome, I love the scratchiness and sexiness. Kozue was pretty good too, I think she was on par with the Japanese actress. From what I recall her and Wakaba had the same dub actress. Ruka's dub actor sucked so hard, the original sounded natural this one sounded like some weird French sleeze bag.

I also want to say I really enjoyed Tatsuya "The Onion Prince" just because had the most natural and teenage sounding voice in the whole show. He sounded like a real 15 year old which was good, plus his breakdown in the elevator was better than the Japanese actor's.

The Shadow Girls were.... OK, def. not as awesome as the original but there were a couple that were really good and the others were passable.

Mitsuru's little girl friend in his black rose duel episode had an annoying voice but for some reason it really fit, apparently the actress's name is Summer Pepper, what the heck kinda name is that? lol

Mamiya was... meh too, not bad. Keiko's voice was weird.... good emotion and acting but awkward voice.

Last edited by chrisb (01-18-2010 10:06:04 PM)

#5 | Back to Top01-18-2010 09:42:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I loved Mamiya's dubbed voice.  So creepy....you could hear more Anthy in him than you could from Anthy's VA.

#6 | Back to Top01-18-2010 10:45:20 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I forgot about Shiori and Ruka. Best and worst character voices ever.

Usually I don't mind dub voices regardless but GOD Ruka's was terrble.

Hearing Mamiya's voice in other things freaks me out. Because all his characters sound like Mamiya. However, it only ever sounds good for Mamiya. : (

I assume maybe they didn't check Wakaba's actress's screaming, since they only did the first season, then came back YEARS later. (Didn't like her screaming.)

I can't remember any moments off the top of my head, but sometimes, Anthy's voice would REALLY bother me.

#7 | Back to Top01-19-2010 12:59:00 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I haven't watched the whole dub yet - I just got given it as a gift (yaaaayyyyyy!) and am just finished the first arc. So having seen that much...

emot-gonk Anthy: APPALLING. If I had watched the dub first I might have felt very differently about Anthy's character. It's only my opinion but the English actress doesn't seem to get the character - there's no depth, none of the nuances in the Japanese voicing (which was wonderful) that even I as a non-Japanese speaker can pick up on and appreciate. And sometimes she says lines in the opposite expression to the original, as though the words mean exactly what the face value is. Which is very seldom the case with Anthy. Just awful. I'm very sad about it.

As you can see I feel strongly!

emot-aaa Saionji: Also awful. Sounds like a joke as opposed to a real person. Sounds to me like he has a learning development problem, and I don't think that's how Saionji is meant to come across. I mean I know he's comedic and all, but "Goofy-voiced" Saionji just doesn't do it for me. I thought he was much worse than the Japanese version.

emot-biggrin Utena: Great! Apart from sounding a little too old for the character I think the voice actress does a great job. She expresses Utena's personality admirably.

emot-confused Touga: Undecided. I'm withholding judgment at present.

emot-confused Wakaba: Undecided. A little too similar to Utena to differentiate the characters easily.

emot-frown Juri: I don't like her compared to the Japanese version. It's not a strong distaste though...I just don't find her quite as good.

emot-rolleyes Miki. Just okay. Japanese was better but he does alright.

As you can see my overall opinion (at the moment) is that the English dub has nothing on the Japanese version.

Last edited by sharnii (01-19-2010 12:59:22 AM)

#8 | Back to Top01-19-2010 02:02:38 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Here we go:

Actors I thought were good:
Utena -Too right on the maturity part, but the warmth in her voice and her emotional performance made up for it quite a bit.

Dios: You wouldn't miss in a second that he's voiced by the same actor as Touga, but his voice comes off as both the voice you'd expect of a young, innocent prince, yet there is something indefinably off that makes it sinister rather than cute.

Nanami: For the main part, I thought Nanami's voice actress was brilliant. She's funny when there's comedy, but she is more threatening than the original actress. Nanami's internal rages are much closer to the surface...

Shiori: What can I say that hasn't been said?

Kanae: I'll admit: she won me over. I'm a huge Ai Orikasa fan and I still think this voice actor did a great job.

Actors I thought were goodish:

Miki: Way too old for the character, but I think they were trying to get some emotional stability out of him vs. Saionji's hammy-ness, Juri's coldness, Touga's arch smugness and Nanami's condescending tone. He did a workable job and got Miki's earnest nature through just fine and it's okay, I guess, but from a casting point of view, I can understand why they picked someone who sounded older.

Touga: This was an early role for the voice actor and he'd just gotten on Slayers as a replacement and hadn't found the oozing confidence that made Alucard inspire wet seats in every English-speaking country. It's raw and at times almost dull, but the overconfident, smarmy tones fit his character and where he shines, you can see the performance that would make him a legend in the community.

Keiko: There's nothing about her voice that I don't like and she did as good of a job as the Japanese actress I think; maybe I just need to rewatch her episode. Her voice was just not that memorable to me.

Mikage: I thought they made him too arch in places and too flat in others where the opposite would have worked better. He did alright, though. He pulled off the character: disconnected and baroque.

Actors I thought did okayish:

Juri: She did a good job at projecting Juri's prickly coldness, it's just not pretty. Her voice is rather grating at times and her performance is rather uneven. Her voice is unmelodious, which is unfortunate, given how her character is supposed to be this perfect beauty without apparent fault. There isn't much of an emotional range for her.

Mamiya: Spooky and yet... it does not suit the character at all. The person did a good job, the barely repressed anger and hurt are there, it's just... the voice doesn't fit what you see at all. He would have made a better Akio.

Saionji: He was played as more manic and closer to insanity than the original and with that, I thought the director was brilliant. However, the VA decided to play the character too much like an old time cartoon.

Actors I thought did badly:

Anthy's performance is far too stereotypically warm with no depth. At all. It was awful. The only thing I could say is that later, you could believe she was a puppet if your analysis runs that way.

Akio had the same problem. The one thing he had going on for him is that you could tell he was a great big fake.

Ruka: Do I need to say anything?

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#9 | Back to Top01-19-2010 11:57:36 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Pfaw!! Every single one did a great job! Most sound too old for their characters but that cannot be helped.

#10 | Back to Top01-19-2010 11:58:08 AM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee

I know it's been mentioned, but can we have a moment for how horrid Saionji's dub voice was? Oh lord. When I was first watching the series on dubbed VHS, I HATED Saionji. He was whiny and flat and irritating. But when I started to get farther into the show (when I had access to the wonders of DVD language selection) I started to understand more of the character simply because of decent voice acting, because he didn't seem like a whining jealous caricature  anymore.

Grrrr.

"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

#11 | Back to Top01-19-2010 04:01:19 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yeah, Jack Taylor lays it on a little thick in the earlier episodes, which would work if it weren't for the fact that he doesn't have the voice of a 17 year old boy.  Later on in the series, especially during the scene in Akio's car, he plays off Saionji's other sides [suspicious, bitter, sarcastic, aloof]  quite well, possibly because by that time we've gotten used to the sound of his voice and can now better focus on the acting.

Still, it bugs the ever loving shit out of me how he says "eternity."

I think another big issue with JT's voice-work is that it's just a difficult to take him seriously when he's not being angry or confrontational or reserved like he is in Akio's car or around Touga.  Some of Saionji's more touching moments, such as his time spent with Wakaba, the flashbacks to when he was younger, and his some of his pining are just LAUGHABLE in Jack Taylor's voice...it's hard to differentiate them from his portrayal of Saionji on a rampage or Saionji being a confident, cheesey wannabe romantic, whereas in the Japanese, those moments are eye-opening and emotionally compelling.

Plus, you don't FEAR English dub Saionji's anger like you do in Japanese.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-19-2010 04:23:16 PM)

#12 | Back to Top01-19-2010 08:56:47 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Am I the only person who likes the dub? I've seen one of my favorite titles dubbed by 4kids, and ever since then I'm happy with any that doesn't butcher a character's original personality.  Maybe I'm biased because it was the first version I saw.

I think Jack Taylor's Saionji is incredibly sexy and believable. He really captures his intensity and occasional maudlinism. I was surprised when I heard Ruka's original voice, but I still think his English actor did a wonderful job of making him sound confident and sharp. Finally, I loved Mikage...and not just because I like Dan Green.  Yep, I "totally" have a better reason than liking Dan Green.

The only characters I disliked were Anthy, Akio, and Nanami's henchgirls. I don't think Anthy's English actress was emotional enough. For instance, she doesn't sound panicked at all when Saionji tries to slice Utena in half at the end of episode nine. Akio sounds way too calm during the English version of the final battle and Keiko, Aiko, and Yuuko don't sound like bullies at all when they slap Anthy around. Maybe it was the timing, but it made me cringe.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#13 | Back to Top01-19-2010 11:34:24 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

I thought the Anthy dub was so funny at first, since I started in the middle of the season when I started watching.
For some reason when people speak in inappropriately flat voices it makes me laugh. Like in Vampire Princess Miyu.
Ah...you'd only get it if you saw it.

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#14 | Back to Top01-19-2010 11:40:40 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Vampire Princess Miyu's dub rocked, don't rag on it emot-tongue

#15 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:43:34 AM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

lol
My sister and I have "Talk Like Miyu and Anthy" days. We take great pains to put as little emotion into everything as possible. emot-rofl

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#16 | Back to Top01-20-2010 04:47:20 AM

CoyoteMemories
Juri Jeerer

I haven't seen most of the series in English, so I'll comment as I can.

I can't stand dub Anthy. I have friends who I'll randomly go up to and I'll start talking to them as dub Anthy and they'll just bowl over laughing. I actually completely disliked Anthy whenever I saw this character in dub. She may as well have been a different character

I do like dub Nanami. The only thing I dislike about her compared to sub Nanami is that sub Nanami achieves a certain softness that I never see dub Nanami get down to.

Utena, I like the uncertainty and softness with which dub Utena is played but I much prefer sub Utena because of the potential androgyny of her voice.

Juri, I much prefer the sub. While the dub is not bad when the moments are filled with anger, softer moments seem to trip the actress up.

I think that's about as much as I can comment...it's been so long since I've seen it in English.

Inside I'm hollow. STOP KNOCKING ON ME!

#17 | Back to Top01-20-2010 11:37:22 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Am I the only person who likes the dub? I've seen one of my favorite titles dubbed by 4kids, and ever since then I'm happy with any that doesn't butcher a character's original personality.  Maybe I'm biased because it was the first version I saw.

Ditto! I've always felt that people are partial to the version they see first, which is probably why I'm more tolerant of dubs. I love the Utena dub, and I don't really have a problem with anyone. Yes, Miki and Mitsuru sound a little older than they should, but it's never bothered me enough to really focus on that fact. Anthy might not be as "uncanny valley" as she once was, but she still retains an air of mystery and creepiness. Saionji is a little doofy, but he emotes really well. The only voice I ever mock is Ruka, but I'd probably mock him anyway. If I pop my DVDs in, I typically watch the dub! emot-smile

Another thing I'd like to note: the voices definitely improve as the series goes on. By the end, Akio and Anthy have hit their peak, whereas they might not have worked out so well in the beginning. I also think that Rachel Lillis really grows into Utena by the end of the series, and hearing her voice progress adds more to Utena's own journey through adolescence. Just as the series takes a drastic turn out of the more innocent first season and into the dark second, the voices gain a lot more depth as the series matures.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#18 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:28:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Mitsuru's dub voice sounded like his balls dropped way too early.

When I hear Utena, I keep thinking of Jessie from Pokemon.

Shiori's voice was great but then again I'm biased towards Lisa Ortiz.

Some of how they pronounced the names really bothered me especially how they pronounce Kozue as 'clothes-away' (Well thats how it sounded to me).

Its 'ko-zay' dammit. emot-mad

#19 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:36:59 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

did you know that wakaba and kozue english voice are played by the same person. and that i believe its shiori's jap or eng i forget also does the voice of the elf chick in the anime record of lodoss war the newer one.

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#20 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:42:33 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Shinolala2 wrote:

did you know that wakaba and kozue english voice are played by the same person. and that i believe its shiori's jap or eng i forget also does the voice of the elf chick in the anime record of lodoss war the newer one.

You talking about Deedlit the elf maiden, yeah she's the same VA but the character I remember her voicing most is Lina Inverse from the Slayers TV series.

#21 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:47:50 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

yeah thats her name i couldnt remeber it.

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#22 | Back to Top01-20-2010 02:55:58 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

CoyoteMemories wrote:

I can't stand dub Anthy. I have friends who I'll randomly go up to and I'll start talking to them as dub Anthy and they'll just bowl over laughing. I actually completely disliked Anthy whenever I saw this character in dub. She may as well have been a different character

I do that to my mom.

LOOK MISS UTENA, THE CLOUDS ARE MOVING SO QUICKLY.

But god, Ruka's voice was so horrible.
I mean really. This is just horrible on everyone's part. Well, except Shiori. But everyone else is so bad, it feels like overacting or something.

You know, I think the first 13 had better English acting. Let's blame the huge pause inbetween.

#23 | Back to Top01-20-2010 07:38:11 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

They have English dubs? Where? emot-confused

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#24 | Back to Top01-20-2010 08:32:26 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The overall consensus seems to be that most of the English cast only play one or a few facets of their character's well.  Take Rachel Lillis as Utena, for example.  She never quite captures the tomboyishness, youth, confidence or completely unself-conscious obliviousness of Utena's Japanese VA.  In fact, she plays a more self-aware, soft-spoken, cautious and feminine Utena, which only really seems to fit during the later part of the series, when Utena becomes plagued with self-doubt and struggles with her sexual identity.  So, did Rachel Lillis's voice acting actually improve to fit the character, or simply was she simply chosen with only later-Utena's personality in mind to begin with?

And Saionji... like I said, it's not his acting that is the issue, it's just that the age of his voice (much like Miki's) is completely inappropriate and hard to ignore when he isn't being aggressive.  And Miki's VA is not only miscast in age, but seems to lack any of the hidden and subtle malice or distaste that Miki's Japanese VA wielded.

And sometimes the acting IS jarringly bad.  Lines in the middle of a conversation that are either said so flatly or just plain so strangely that you cringe.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-20-2010 08:33:53 PM)

#25 | Back to Top01-20-2010 08:59:34 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oh Ruka's dub voice made me cry because he just had the wrong inflections on everything and he just sounded like so much more of a jerk than the character is.

Akio's dub made me cry too.

Shiori's dub was pretty much the only one I really liked. The scratchiness of Lisa Ortiz's voice just perfectly suited the characters bitter and jaded moments.

I'm not sure the version you watch first is the one you like best. I had gotten the Student Council Arc on DVD and watched it in English to give it a shot and immediately had to walk away from the dub.

The thing that does kill me about the dub is the change in lines that completely rewrites character relationships.

I mean changing Shiori's ultimate scream of frustration in the elevator to "Why can't you just tell me how you feel?" just adds fuel to the Shiori/Juri fire.

I'm just saying.

Last edited by Alithea (01-20-2010 09:00:50 PM)

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

Board footer