This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top10-24-2007 07:16:51 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Clusterf**k to the White House: The Thread

Interesting points, Rodimus!  I think the religious right is probably -- probably -- not stupid enough to run a third-party candidate.  They know who it would ultimately help, and as much as they dislike Giuliani, they dislike Clinton much, much more.  They are, after all, still largely Republicans.

I don't know if they have to create a third party to hand the election to the Democrat, though.  It's been shown, I think, that turnout is much higher when people are voting in order to help a candidate win, rather than ensure that another candidate doesn't win.  (Think of 2004.  Democratic turnout was on the high side because Democrats hated Bush, but Republican turnout was even higher because Republicans loved Bush.)  Right now, much of the Republican base has no one to get behind.  That means they won't go to the polls.  Of course, if they can be persuaded to hate Hillary enough, they might go anyway, and the GOP is already taking steps in that direction with entire debates about how to beat Hillary and using the threat of a Clinton presidency to solicit funds. 

I think that Obama, if nominated, can't lose.  The question on most Democrats' minds is, what the hell would he do with the Oval Office if he won?

EDITED TO ADD: It occurs to me that it's very, very likely that Brownback, Huckabee, or another devout Baptist is going to get the vice-presidential nod from the eventual Republican nominee.

Last edited by satyreyes (10-24-2007 08:04:13 PM)

#102 | Back to Top10-24-2007 07:47:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I think that Obama, if nominated, can't lose.  The question on most Democrats' minds is, what the hell would he do with the Oval Office if he won?

I don't know, he strikes me as all the trustyhappypolitik smile of the old Clinton with none of the intelligence and necessary deviousness backing it up. I just get the impression he's an opportunist with a clever advisor that saw an opening for someone who would otherwise not have a chance. Has he really given us anything of substance concerning what he'd do in office?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#103 | Back to Top10-24-2007 07:48:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I don't know, he strikes me as all the trustyhappypolitik smile of the old Clinton with none of the intelligence and necessary deviousness backing it up. I just get the impression he's an opportunist with a clever advisor that saw an opening for someone who would otherwise not have a chance. Has he really given us anything of substance concerning what he'd do in office?

Exactly!  What would he do with the Oval Office if he won?

#104 | Back to Top12-03-2007 09:24:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We're now a month away from the beginning of the presidential primaries.  Here's how this works.

On January 3, the men and women of the state of Iowa will brave winter weather to gather within their communities and make their choice for the Democratic or Republican nominee for president.  The informal tone and methodology of these gatherings distinguish them from the more formal primaries held in almost every other state; as a result, the Iowa proceedings are called a "caucus" rather than a primary.  The next morning, the press will report which candidate in each party won this first official presidential contest of the 2008 election season.

Our international readers may remember that Iowa is a plains state in the central U.S. filled with corn, boredom, and not much else.  They may well scratch their heads and question why this pissant little farm state gets to host the first primary and reap wildly disproportionate media coverage.  They are not wrong to wonder, for there's not really any good reason for Iowa's privilege beyond a not quite forty-year-old "tradition."  On the other hand, history suggests that the result in Iowa is not as important to the outcome as Iowans would like you to believe.  In the eight most closely contested primaries since 1980, Iowa's winner has become the nominee only half the time.

Who is ahead in Iowa?  Well, polls change rapidly, but right now on the Democratic side, polls show Clinton ahead with Obama close behind and gaining.  John Edwards, once seen as a strong contender in Iowa, has faded to the back.  As for the Republicans, it's a brawl.  Mitt Romney had been in the lead, but professional Christian Mike Huckabee recently pulled ahead, to everyone's astonishment, and is continuing to gain.  Rudy Giuliani, the leader in national opinion polls, has given up on Iowa and is focusing on building his lead in later primaries.  InTrade has Huckabee at 62.6% in Iowa and Clinton at 48%, with Romney and Obama making up most of the difference in their respective parties.

The next primary, five days later, will be held in New Hampshire.  Clinton and Romney seem to have this one sewn up for their parties -- though in politics a month is a long time.  Who can say?  If Obama wins in Iowa, he may surge in New Hampshire.  If Huckabee takes Iowa in a landslide, then Romney's voters -- many of whom don't really adore him the way Huckabee's supporters adore Huckabee -- may desert.  And if scandal hits, all bets are off.

Hee hee.  "President Huckabee."  It's fun to say.  Try it.

#105 | Back to Top12-03-2007 09:46:08 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_poll … on%2C_2008

Woot, go Ron Paul.  It's a shame national media tries their best to pretend he doesn't exist let alone mention he's winning in the polls.  Candidates who know the Constitution and the current state of the country without glossing it over are bad.

Last edited by Scortia (12-03-2007 09:50:17 PM)

#106 | Back to Top12-03-2007 09:51:53 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ron Paul isn't winning in the professional national opinion polls, sad to say, Scortia emot-frown  He regularly wins various Internet-based polls, but citing that to show that most Republicans support Paul is sort of like polling mosques to show that most Americans are Muslim.  Paul has been a revolutionary candidate in a number of ways, and he's done better than anyone thought possible -- but barring a miracle (which I would love to see happen rather than accept a Giuliani or Romney candidacy), he will not win the nomination.

#107 | Back to Top12-04-2007 05:54:21 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

So here's a question.  Given that the Democratic Party (it is just them, right?) has stripped Michigan of all of its delegates to the National Convention, what does that mean for the results of Michigan's primary?  I'm not sure exactly how the selection of the nominee for a party works.  Is it a sort of electoral college and each states' delegates cast a vote?  Or is this all merely a "Bad you," slap on the wrist sort of thing?

Regardless, that has me extremely pissed off.  Heaven forbid other states want to, I don't know, have any input into the selection process... emot-rolleyes  By the time Indiana rolls around, it'll all be decided most likely, or anyone the majority of our state might have wanted to vote for is long gone.  I hate this damn system.

#108 | Back to Top12-04-2007 06:16:46 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

My main issue with Ron Paul (well, besides the fact that he's a libertarian) is that he's obsessively pro-life, to the point that he authored a bill declaring life to be existent "from the moment of conception." That smacks to me of religious reasoning, which I feel has no place in legal proceedings.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#109 | Back to Top12-04-2007 06:59:09 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

C'mon folks, the gold standard? Is he serious?

As for the primaries, the current system works something like this: Each party makes their own rules at the national level. The states either follow these rules, or the party might punish them if they don't. The important thing to remember is that these rules are not made by any actual governing body, but by the party leadership. The caucases and primaries are not actual elections, which means that the parties can do as they please. If they decide not to regard Michigan's input, there's really nothing anyone can do about it. The reason that Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina have early primaries is theoretically that this forces candidates to consider these smallish states, when otherwise they'd be ignored. In reality, there's nothing at all that prevents anyone from simply bribing the party leadership to do whatever, since it's not an official election anyway.

Yeah, kind of creepy that these things have such a huge impact on the actual elections, but that's a consequence of our despicable two-party system. George Washington was right!

FYI, regarding constitutional knowledge, Barack Obama's day job, when he wasn't a politician, was teaching constitutional law at the University of Chicago law school. Just saying. emot-wink

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#110 | Back to Top12-04-2007 07:25:49 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Stormcrow wrote:

The caucases and primaries are not actual elections, which means that the parties can do as they please.

...that's just stupid.  Bah, I might not bother with the primaries then.  Even before that knowledge I knew Hoosiers didn't count anyway.  That's even worse than the electoral college.  We need some major reform, but it's hard to find time when people are already prepping for the next election the day after the Election, not taking time to consider if things should be changed.

#111 | Back to Top12-04-2007 10:55:06 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well... it's true that Indiana's May 6 primary means that the nomination will usually be decided by the time you guys are up.  The flip side is that if it's not yet decided, you will be showered with attention normally reserved for terrorist attacks and Paris Hilton.

It's also true that the parties don't have to listen to what the voters want; at the convention they could theoretically ignore the will of the voters and nominate Chuck Norris for president.  But I think it's time for another civics lesson here.

Civics lesson the first!  In the general election in November, nothing binds the members of the Electoral College to vote the way their state did either.  The occasional "faithless elector," who votes for the wrong guy or who abstains as a form of protest, is a fact of life, but this has never changed the outcome of an election.

Civics lesson the second!  Here's what the Constitution has to say about the general election.

James "Author of the Constitution" Madison wrote:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors . . .
--Article II, Section 1

Whoa, hang on!  Notice anything missing here?  Like any reference to a general election?  Yeah!  There's nothing in the Constitution that says that states have to hold elections at all!  If the states wanted to, they could rewrite their own constitutions to say that the legislators got to throw darts at the wall to determine who the state would back as president.  Or maybe there could be a duel between the head of each party in the state congress.

So in summary, we have no legal right to pick a nominee, no Constitutional right to pick a president, and no legal way to ensure that our pick for president is respected.  You can't really blame the Founding Fathers on this one; no one had ever tried democracy before.  They were terrified the whole thing would fall apart if the people were given direct control over -- well, over just about anything.  But amazingly -- amazingly! -- we haven't fallen apart, at least not yet, in spite of government's increasing democratization.  The people's will is generally respected, and the system generally works.  I'm totally with you that some reform might be a good idea, but let's be fair: how broken can the system be if it has survived this long?

Last edited by satyreyes (12-04-2007 10:56:30 AM)

#112 | Back to Top12-04-2007 03:14:52 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I can't vote in my state's primary because in CT you can only vote in primaries if you have party affiliation.. which I don't.  emot-mad

It's by choice that I have no affiliation, though.  Even though I am certain that I'll be voting for the Democratic nominee in November, and I've voted Democratic Party ever since I registered, I still prefer not to have a party listed on my voter registration. :shrug:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#113 | Back to Top12-05-2007 01:04:11 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

satyreyes wrote:

Well... it's true that Indiana's May 6 primary means that the nomination will usually be decided by the time you guys are up.  The flip side is that if it's not yet decided, you will be showered with attention normally reserved for terrorist attacks and Paris Hilton.

This is the most awesome line ever.

And you make numerous good points about the Constitution there.

#114 | Back to Top12-06-2007 09:11:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Here's how fast things change in presidential races.

Three days ago, I posted some facts about what the polls are doing in Iowa and nationwide.  Within 48 hours, at least two of the most important tidbits were no longer true.

I said that Hillary was ahead in Iowa, with Obama close behind and gaining.  48 hours later, Obama was the front-runner, by enough to beat the margin of error.  He is clearly in front.  Probably affecting his lead was a PR spat between him and Clinton.  Obama has said that he never planned to become president.  Not true, said Hillary!  For lo, I have discovered essays Obama wrote in kindergarten and third grade entitled "I Want To Be President!"  My opponent is a liar and I demand he retract his absurd claim about never having had presidential aspirations!

Some number of Iowans concluded that they didn't want to vote for a candidate who would use something Obama wrote when he was a five-year-old resident of Indonesia against him, and switched their support.

I also said that Giuliani was the leader in national opinion polls.  No longer true.  Huckabee passed him.  Contributing to this one is that Huckabee is amazingly slick.  Seriously.  This is the guy who got a phone call from God during a speech at a Republican dinner, and managed to pull off the schtick with humility.  Of course, if you asked Huckabee why he's up in the polls, he'd probably say it's a divine miracle.  Actually, wait -- he did say that.  He's incredible.  I think he might be our next president, but don't quote me on that.

#115 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:17:46 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

If that happens, I'm moving in with Yasha. For four years. Maybe eight. I don't know for sure. emot-gonk

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#116 | Back to Top12-08-2007 01:17:07 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd like to say that I'd move to Canada if that happened, but I know that I won't. Thanks to the Electoral College, my presidential vote won't make a difference because California is such a blue state already.

#117 | Back to Top01-02-2008 10:26:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The Iowa caucuses are tomorrow.  Here's your pregame.

Most recent polls show the front-runners for each party in a statistical tie: Romney and Huckabee for the Republicans, and Clinton and Obama for the Democrats, with Edwards close behind.  With the polls this close and these caucuses so notoriously unpredictable, don't trust anyone who tells you they know what's going to happen in Iowa tomorrow.

Don't trust the entrance polls, either.  Tomorrow evening there's going to be a lot of noise about early results.  These results might be approximately accurate for the Republicans, whose caucus is really more like a primary; they fill out a ballot, drop it in a box, and count 'em up.  The Democrats, however, are an entirely different kettle of fish.  They gather in large rooms, take a show of hands, eliminate the candidates with less than 15% support, then assign each remaining candidate a corner of the room.  You stand in the corner for your candidate and try to convince your neighbors and any undecided voters to stand there with you.  That means that you can change your mind till the last minute, and if your first choice is eliminated your second choice matters.

What does this mean?  Well, it turns out that a large majority of the Democrats whose first choice will be eliminated -- supporters of Dodd, Kucinich, Biden, Richardson -- have Obama or especially Edwards as their second choice.  That means that the entrance poll numbers might get Hillary Clinton's support about right, but they'll understate support for those two candidates.  If you hate Hillary and she's way behind in the entrance polls, go ahead and pop the champagne; if you love Hillary and she's way ahead in the entrance polls, save the champagne for tomorrow, or for New Hampshire, or for Florida.  (If Hillary loses Florida, you might want to go ahead and switch sides.)

If you are an Iowan and have a shadow of an opinion, get out there and vote!  Turnout in Iowa is historically about 6%.  No, I didn't forget the zero; about six in one hundred Iowans show up for the caucuses.  In some rural districts the outcome is determined by the only person to show up; in others, no one shows up.  If four people show up and two people end up on each side of the room, sometimes they flip a coin to decide the winner.  This is madness!  No -- this is democracy!  Do your part!

#118 | Back to Top01-02-2008 04:58:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What about Florida? emot-frown (Also I'm unaffiliated. Oops.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#119 | Back to Top01-02-2008 06:27:06 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Hmm... I was going to watch Good Morning America to see something on the Iowa bit, but I myself am a bit Obama supporter. I say make Obama prez and make Hillary Vice-Prez. On the system of America, I hate it too. It is better than say "Communist" States.

On the ignorance of most Americans, ask any what a State is. I will bet 90% won't mention that it's a word for a country. Most have no idea what Colombus was really on about, either.

"A People's History of the United States... now that's a history book."

Most American History teaches that many villains were really quite upright men unless it's Hitler then it's AHH TEH EVIL!!" America sucks. I know, I know. It's not as if I could fly to Italy tomorrow, passport in hand. Nope it's worst:

For those applying today for a passport on their own won't see it for at least two and a half years-on average. Forget about flying to Jamaica, let alone Venice.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#120 | Back to Top01-02-2008 06:48:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Can we please keep the tone a little more positive in here?  emot-smile  Gentle mocking is fine.  Harsh criticism is fine if you can back it up, especially if you can explain how the system could be improved.  But raw "America Sucks" is a bridge too far.  If you want to have that discussion, start a thread in IFD.

Edited to add: Gio, in re Florida, conventional wisdom is that Hillary has it sewn up for the Democrats.  On the other hand, if Obama does very well in the early states -- as he needs to in order to win on Super Tuesday, given Hillary's nationwide advantage -- his momentum might make him a contender here.  Remember too that Florida only has half its usual delegation this cycle because we're breaking party rules about when we're allowed to hold our primaries.  As for the Republicans, McCain has a chance, and Huckabee and Romney are not to be underestimated, but the smart money's on Giuliani.

Last edited by satyreyes (01-02-2008 07:09:41 PM)

#121 | Back to Top01-02-2008 11:10:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

For Florida? I can't be surprised Giuliani has the top word for the Republicans. Hillary isn't too big a shock either, I'd really be surprised if Obama got anything out of Florida if (as I should think he would) he's counting on the black vote. Black people in Florida are notorious for not voting, and the groups that do, if they are dems, are Hillary fans.

I'm kinda bummed I have no voice at all in the primaries in Florida, I'm unaffiliated and it's a miserable train wreck this year anyway. emot-frown We'll see what happens. Part of me would really love some surprises, just because the system needs to get shaken up a little to remind the doubters that it's still remotely in their hands. A lot of people, myself included, just kinda toss this whole thing, feeling like it doesn't matter. The only thing that'll change that is if we prove ourselves wrong.

#122 | Back to Top01-03-2008 04:46:15 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

satyreyes wrote:

Can we please keep the tone a little more positive in here?  emot-smile  Gentle mocking is fine.  Harsh criticism is fine if you can back it up, especially if you can explain how the system could be improved.  But raw "America Sucks" is a bridge too far.  If you want to have that discussion, start a thread in IFD.

I think I will.... and I didn't think I was being harsh... ah well. What they need to do is to put more funding into social services that actually put people to work rather than random grants. It's like Oprah's school-the big one is nice, but many smaller ones would have been nicer.

Bring back the Depression-era social programs, somebody please!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#123 | Back to Top01-03-2008 06:26:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm actually watching the Iowa caucuses now on CNN. (They're also streaming the actual headcounting on their site.) 

This is incredibly fascinating. I didn't think they stood there and physically took a headcount and moved people around. No wonder they do this is Iowa and New Hampshire, you can't do it anywhere larger. Well, you can, but it would take FOREVER.

I also like the strategic aspect of this for the Democrats. One of the reporters said it would be smart if there was a candidate who was a handful of votes away from the magical 15% to bargain with one of the larger candidates. "Give me a few of your people. If you don't, and we don't get the 15%, then we'll go to that guy over there."

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#124 | Back to Top01-03-2008 06:49:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Isn't it a fascinating system, Raven?  Broken, perhaps -- I don't especially like the bargaining aspect of it -- but fascinating.

In the Democratic primary as I write these words, about 20% of the precincts have reported.  Right now it's Edwards-Clinton-Obama in that order, but less than two percentage points (!!!) separate these top three finishers, so it's still anyone's game.  We don't even know which precincts have reported; if they're predominantly rural, the results may be skewed.  Looks like it's going to be a late night.

On the Republican side, I can't find a website that keeps a running tally, but very early results on Wikipedia showed Huckabee slightly in the lead.

#125 | Back to Top01-03-2008 07:08:02 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, I'm just watching it on my TV. CNN.com is probably going to be your best bet for a website, though.

As of 8:06pm CST, with 25% reporting, Huckabee has 35%, Romney has 24%, Thompson has 14%, and McCain is at 12% ,

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer