This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-28-2010 03:13:08 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Apple new iPad

EDIT: Well my picture sure got me a little burned, so I took it down.
We can now discuss the iPad and it's utter uselessness compared to Apple's other more awesome products.

Last edited by chrisb (01-28-2010 10:38:10 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top01-28-2010 04:54:05 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Re: Apple new iPad

I was not really amused by the jokes the first time I saw them, and less so now. (I just get this impression of 'lol feminine products r funny hurr hurr'.)

And here I was hoping for an intelligent discussion about the Apple tablet. *sighs*

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#3 | Back to Top01-28-2010 05:05:38 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I don't understand why I'd want one.

So I guess I don't.

I just don't see why i'd want it over a cheap laptop. It would probably look nicer than the cheap laptop, but the cheap laptop would come with a keyboard that I'm sure I'd put to good use. As far as e-reading goes, I'm not big on that in the first place. I still like the feel of my paper books (I hear the actual e-readers have better lighting for reading, anyways? Although I know nothing about them.)

#4 | Back to Top01-28-2010 05:10:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

So, after I peeled my head off of my desk from the MARKETING NAME FAIL, I realized something....

It's just a big-ass iPod Touch with Kindle features. emot-rolleyes

For $500 I can get a netbook and an actual Kindle. (Not that I want a Kindle, because I like real books, thankyouverymuch.)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#5 | Back to Top01-28-2010 08:06:39 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Poor marketing choice of name aside, this has gotten a lot of the students and professors in my graphic arts classes excited.  There's been a dwindling market for magazine and newspaper, which scares a lot of graphic artists (for hella good reason,) and the iPad seems like a good solution to keep the flow of media, and to have an incentive to keep that media flowing.  Although the price is high now, hopefully it'll drop to a more realistic price, and there will be need for more journalists, graphic artists, ect ect.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#6 | Back to Top01-28-2010 09:14:07 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Aine Silveria wrote:

I was not really amused by the jokes the first time I saw them, and less so now. (I just get this impression of 'lol feminine products r funny hurr hurr'.)

And here I was hoping for an intelligent discussion about the Apple tablet. *sighs*

Well excuuuuuse me for living. emot-wink

#7 | Back to Top01-28-2010 09:39:59 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

chrisb wrote:

Aine Silveria wrote:

Dude, NO. Whatever YOU may think, it's not funny. emot-mad It's extremely sexist, if you ask me. Not only do you seem to be trying to become the forum's latest comedian with this post, you're pissing off people who have been here longer than you.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#8 | Back to Top01-28-2010 09:51:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Chrisb just wanted to post a silly picture. He didn't claim it would make everyone laugh, and granted it might be offensive to some of us, but objections noted, is it really worth railing down the thread when it could be about what the hell the iPad is? Because I don't know.

I'm really out of the loop. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#9 | Back to Top01-28-2010 10:05:14 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I thought it was the iTablet....
And I heard about it this week? Last week?

Regardless, I have a mad hatred for touch screen things, due to I've never known anyone to have a long living one. ...and my hand skills aren't too great. D:

#10 | Back to Top01-28-2010 10:08:41 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Iris wrote:

Poor marketing choice of name aside, this has gotten a lot of the students and professors in my graphic arts classes excited.  There's been a dwindling market for magazine and newspaper, which scares a lot of graphic artists (for hella good reason,) and the iPad seems like a good solution to keep the flow of media, and to have an incentive to keep that media flowing.  Although the price is high now, hopefully it'll drop to a more realistic price, and there will be need for more journalists, graphic artists, ect ect.

I honestly didn't draw the connection between pad like a pad of paper and a feminine napkin till I read Raven's comment. I found it funny because the first thing I thought was that most women use tampons, not pads. ;D

I actually don't think the price is too bad, but I also hope it drops after a while. I think the idea is great; iPods are really too small to do anything comprehensively on it, while laptops are bulky and inconvenient. The only fear I actually have is that it would break in my bag, but I'm sure they'd release a carrying case for it. Honestly, the idea of a *real* all-in-one is very alluring, especially for businessmen who need something more powerful than a Blackberry*. I know I would want one once I started working. The iPod touch is amazing, I have always been blown away at just how many applications there were. If you combine that with wifi or a data plan and a larger touch screen, you can do almost anything with an iPad, except take it running with you at the gym. (But they have iPods for that ;))

So yes, I will be drooling over it until I get the money for it.

#11 | Back to Top01-28-2010 10:15:33 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I remember seeing a news spot for it on like some morning program... but I've forgotten a lot about it... From what I remember it has the features of an iPod touch, plus a non-keyboard, and it has e-book reading capabilities... I was surprised at the price, it actually struck me as pretty inexpensive considering it's an apple device larger than an iPod... but I'd rather have a laptop... mostly because Apple Tech support sucks and I'd prefer just about anything to their products (except for my iPod, I love my iPod)

Also, after the initial shock of the graphic chrisb posted, I have to say I chuckled... color me immature

Last edited by Melancholic_Soul (01-28-2010 10:16:21 PM)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#12 | Back to Top01-28-2010 10:29:55 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

BioKraze wrote:

chrisb wrote:

Aine Silveria wrote:

Dude, NO. Whatever YOU may think, it's not funny. emot-mad It's extremely sexist, if you ask me. Not only do you seem to be trying to become the forum's latest comedian with this post, you're pissing off people who have been here longer than you.

Not really trying to be the comedian around here, it's just my style of humor. I am not trying to offend anyone either and was just being silly and immature, if I offended anyone I apologize, it honestly wasn't my intention. I just posted a silly picture a friend sent me, guess since I'm a guy I'm not really all to aware of why it would seem offensive, but it is and that's the point.

Raven Nightshade wrote:

For $500 I can get a netbook and an actual Kindle. (Not that I want a Kindle, because I like real books, thankyouverymuch.)

Thank you! That's how I feel, why would you want to buy a 900 dollar product for a nice new book converted into a .txt file.

Giovanna wrote:

Chrisb just wanted to post a silly picture. He didn't claim it would make everyone laugh, and granted it might be offensive to some of us, but objections noted, is it really worth railing down the thread when it could be about what the hell the iPad is? Because I don't know.

I'm really out of the loop. emot-frown

It's a huge ass e-book that's trying to do to books what iTunes did for albums, problem is you can pick and choose songs off an album, but you can't pick and choose parts of e-books that tend to be very expensive.

Last edited by chrisb (01-28-2010 10:43:49 PM)

#13 | Back to Top01-28-2010 10:41:42 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

chrisb wrote:

BioKraze wrote:

chrisb wrote:

Not really trying to be the comedian around here, it's just my style of humor. I am not trying to offend anyone either and was just being silly and immature, if I offended anyone I apologize, it honestly wasn't my intention. I just posted a silly picture a friend sent me, guess since I'm a guy I'm not really all to aware of why it would seem offensive, but it is and that's the point.

Okay, I've seen the box in about half a dozen places, so that did lessen my possible enjoyment of it to begin with. I wasn't necessarily offended by the joke itself, though it has worn thin for me (also, if the point was to just post the silly picture, it would have been better suited in a thread in Shaved Ice). I was only vaguely perturbed that it wasn't a true discussion, since all I have heard about it are immature jokes about the name, and how much it sucks.

#14 | Back to Top01-28-2010 11:27:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Chris, I apologize.  There's subtext here.  Aine didn't like your post for some reason, but she was as mild as she could be.  Bio, though, is Aine's friend and overreacts to things he perceives as hurting her, and he didn't do as good a job staying contained.  There was nothing wrong with your post.  That said, if you mostly wanted to share a joke and not have a discussion, the Shaved Ice Lounge is really more the place for it -- something I wouldn't expect a forum newcomer to know, which is completely okay.

Bio, read your PMs.

#15 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:17:15 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

I did want a discussion but I was poking a little fun too. No apologies needed, people get offended and I should be a little more careful with my humor since this is actually a little tame compared to other jokes I make lol.

#16 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:28:12 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Is the e-book movement really that significant? I find reading novels on screen very...unsettling. It's not a novel if it's not paper and pages in my hands. emot-frown

At this point those, Apple could fart and if it lights up, people will buy it.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#17 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:36:05 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I thought the tablet could do more than just books? I apparently really do need to try to do my own research here.

And, yes, there is a pretty big e-book movement. I do agree that it doesn't have that novel feel if I can't physically flip pages, but the ability to store several books in the space of a magazine (or smaller, even) is actually a pretty big draw for me. I go through books like others go through candy, so... man, for long-distance traveling, I could see an e-reader being spectacular. Reading at home, not so much.

#18 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:43:54 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What about making it like DVDs are getting to a lot? Where you buy the book as a hard copy and it comes with access to an e-book version you can dump on your whatever for the run? That seems to me the most sensible thing for nerds like me...

#19 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:45:04 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Is this the picture everyone is refering to?
http://missionimpossibleinfertile.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/ipad.jpg

#20 | Back to Top01-29-2010 04:02:43 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

And here I thought Apple released their line of hygienic pads. emot-rolleyes

I don't know how to feel about it. I'm gonna sound old and say I prefer reading my books out of books. A Kindle-like product does sound more practical in the sense of transportation of large amounts of books or even using it as a storage system. I know it would be very practical for someone who likes books, but simply doesn't have anywhere to store large amounts of them. On the other hand, someone who likes books that much might not find the iPad very appealing. They might sooner use the benefits of the local library. Also, why do you need a special product to read books from? Couldn't you do it from a regular netbook or something? Sounds like a bunch of marketing which is trying to sell you something you didn't think you needed, until they said that you do.

(Though I don't know how they're pitching the iPad, so feel free to correct me.)

I wonder how much of my aversion comes from the novelty of it, rather than the disadvantages of it. For example, an iPad has a battery, which means it's something that has to be recharged. What if you're somewhere without a power source? A book won't run out of battery power. There's also that risk with most data-storage technology thingies where something might happen and you lose all your files. What then? Just collect it / buy it all over again? Maybe there are ways to retrieve it, but it wouldn't have happened if you had the text in book form. On the other hand, you might lose all your books in a fire or something, but most likely it won't happen right in front of your eyes.

P.S. No, Tamago. The picture was a box of pads with iPad written on it, methinks.

#21 | Back to Top01-29-2010 04:35:04 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Minus the book thing, doesn't the ipod touch do alot of that stuff? I mean, my sister LIVES out of one. She has her entire life in one, and from what I've seen, its that plus books, and a larger screen.
(Oh god imagine the scratches unless you buy the more than likely expensive case.)

#22 | Back to Top01-29-2010 04:56:12 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Looks like Apple is selling a product that's dated right off the shelf. When there's e-paper pads like Kindle out there, why would you buy an LCD model that weights more, heats more, breaks more easily and eats more power?

I would happily buy an e-book despite of my love for paper-bound volumes if it wasn't bound to a single store, and wasn't ridiculously expensive; would be great while travelling. For now, no product fulfills my demands in that area.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#23 | Back to Top01-29-2010 08:45:56 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

Is this the picture everyone is refering to?
http://missionimpossibleinfertile.files … 1/ipad.jpg

I lell'd.
Come on guys, is this any more harmful than all the jokes about the Wii? It's just a daft name.

Anyhow, isn't there a risk of straining your eyes with e-books and that? I mean, if you're going to be staring at a small screen with text on for ages, surely that's not great for the peepers.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#24 | Back to Top01-29-2010 09:33:27 AM

lazypirates
Anthy Assailer

As I understand it, the iPad is actually a lot more than an e-reader, but one of the big features that they're pushing is the iTunes-like bookstore (iBooks, which does in fact look pretty bomb) they've created, rather than the e-reader technology itself. I think they're creating a similar thing for video, too, including YouTube, but I'm not sure on that one. It has internet access like a Blackberry or Droid, but on a larger scale. The graphics are supposed to be pretty frickin' impressive, and they're looking to use the touch screen to revolutionize game play (we'll see about that. The notion of dragging your fingertips around a screen to throw a grenade sounds like it would drive me crazy.  The iPad also has access to the iPhone app store, so things like the New York Times App, the Sports Illustrated App, and, of course, the making fart noises app(s).

However, it doesn't have a camera, the wi-fi/3G access is still pretty far behind other mobile technologies and super expensive, it can't multitask, there's no USB, no GPS and it doesn't support Flash player while browsing. And as someone said, the touch-screen keyboard is a huge issue already, and I'd be worried about it breaking!

I think it looks like an amazing breakthrough in technology, and, like most amazing breakthroughs in technology, I'm not really interested in getting one right away. It still has a lot of problems and WOW is it expensive, so while I look forward to having one in 3-5 years, for now I'm sticking my good old-fashioned laptop.

(This info about it is coming from reviews, so if I've gotten anything wrong, just give a shout. I'm no expert.)

#25 | Back to Top01-29-2010 01:57:11 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

So this iPad is a backlit LCD scrren huh? That kinda defeats the purpose for me as I would like to avoid the eyestrain that comes from looking at a computer screen when I am reading in bed.

I would like to see improved E-Paper technology where the print of whatever you are reading is of a higher contrast than the Kindle's black and mid-grey screen.

Hitler also hates the iPad

Board footer