This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:05:34 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

RoseCon '12: Seattle Contemplation Station

May I introduce to you the RoseCon Wall:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4198/thewallz.jpg

For every RoseCon, two pieces of map, one of the general city, and another of the area we stayed, grace this fine bit of wall in the apartment of Giovanna and Yasha. As impressive as this wall already is, there’s still plenty of space for improvement. So it is with great joy that I announce:

RoseCon ‘12: SEATTLE

A lot of you already know about RoseCon because you were there, or watched the threads develop and seethed with jealousy because you couldn’t attend. For you newer folks, RoseCon is exactly what it sounds like! IRG’s personal, very own, super amazing in-person gathering! The ‘Con’ part is a little misleading--this is not an anime convention so much as a weekend-long party. There’s a loose schedule of events at times--we all meet up in a chosen hotel room in the evenings and watch the balls out of some SKU, but otherwise things like museum visits in New York City and voodoo tours in New Orleans were optional-attendance opportunities for fun. If you want to go, great, if you want to check out something else, there is a very good chance that whatever it is, some other vIRGin wants to join you!

The last two RoseCons, NYC 2008 and NOLA 2010 were both huge successes. Museums were explored, French food was consumed, cemeteries were made the butt of SKU jokes, and men in red dresses were photographed. RoseCon NYC wasn’t as thoroughly photographed as NOLA because we forgot to do so, but Ashnod, a two-time attendee, did a great compilation thread for the NOLA excitement, for those of you looking to see what RoseCon is all about. In summary? It’s about singing Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku while doing Gaga monster hands.

Why Seattle? Because it was consistently one of the most popular choices when we asked forumites, and is the most removed geographically and culturally from the first two. While us vIRGins could probably have a blast anywhere, part of the fun of RoseCon is it’s a chance for us to go to new places and experience new things. Like escargot.

When in Seattle? August. YES, THIS THREAD IS STARTING EARLY. There’s a good reason for this! And that is...because most of us are poor. Those of you that think you’re too poor for RoseCon--think again. We’re most of us stupidly, painfully, and retardedly poor. We do this despite that, and we spend months gathering up the quarters for it! It’s worth it, and it’s also worth announcing early so everyone who needs to move around schedules, plan vacation days, and save up cash, can do so. (Hint: Squirrel away that Christmas cash.)

This thread is your warning. Start saving. In the meantime, let’s start planning a step at a time!

Issue 1: WHEN?
August is the month of the year that the most of us are available, and is coincidentally universally agreed to be the nicest month to visit this fine city. RoseCons are typically a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, though many people show up earlier. You can pretty much count on having company the Thursday, and maybe even the Wednesday before. Most of us leave on Monday. The question of which weekend in August is up for debate.

I’m inclined to go with the early to mid-August, the last two weekends are probably going to creep into peoples’ school schedules, so the options are 3rd-5th, 10th-12th, and 17th-19th. What works for you? Do all of them? Then let say so! There are a few major events in Seattle speckled around the month. There’s a major air show (Blue Angels, ship tours, and so on), there’s a tattoo expo, etc. The dates for most of these things haven’t been announced yet, but if people turn out to be flexible, the option of trying to catch one of them will be considered. Ultimately, the date we go with will be the one the MOST PEOPLE CAN ATTEND.

Issue 2: WHERE?
One thing we’ve learned over the course of RoseCon history is that staying at one hotel is a very good idea. This lets us roll out of bed, scrub our face, and meet in the lobby to decide on the day’s hijinks. We aim for a fairly cheap hotel, but one that isn’t a complete dive, and the option is left to you folks whether to join with others to save on the room or if you require or can afford a room on your own. (Or with friends--bring ‘em, so long as they’ll watch SKU with us!) You are all welcome to see what gems you can find, but here are a few Yelp suggests:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-moore-hotel-seattle - CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. And very centrally located. On a cursory glance this one seems the most likely candidate.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/panama-hotel-seattle - Not as cheap, but in Japantown, apparently. Also all historic and shit. Downside is that it’s European only. (Shared bathrooms.)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-baroness-hotel-seattle - Slightly more expensive, but apparently has a lot of character. Reviews on other sites are more helpful. It’s quite centrally located, also.

I’m aiming for the downtown area, which is naturally where all the action is! The transit system in Seattle is excellent by all reports, but the goal is to stay somewhere where we can hoof it to most of the action. Basically, if you can walk to the Pike Place Market, you’re good.

So kids, let the discussions begin! Go do some googling. See what you’re interested in! Seattle is FULL OF AWESOME STUFF TO DO. (Satyr e-mailed me a fantastic summary of stuff, so I’m just gonna beg him to post here.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:15:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: RoseCon '12: Seattle Contemplation Station

When Gio first hinted to me that RoseCon Seattle might be a thing, I excitedly did some research into stuff we might do there.  Honestly, the best part of RoseCon is usually hanging out at the hotel, but the activities in between hanging out are pretty special too.  etc-love  I'm definitely in favor of choosing our activities selectively -- but we have got a lot of options!

Downtown and International District
- Pike Place Market.  It's a famous-ass farmers' market of things that are yummy and amazing.  I've been there, and we'll certainly want to go, maybe more than once!  Even apart from its vast size and uniqueness, it sure makes an economical meal!
- Underground Tour.  Seattle has an extensive sunken city, ravaged by fire and the tides.  Absolutely a must-hit.  There's an all-ages version, and an "Underworld Tour" version that focuses on stories about sex and drugs.  I vote for the latter.  emot-tongue
- Columbia Center.  It's just a big ol' skyscraper with a viewing deck, but it's a much cheaper alternative to the Space Needle, and by some accounts has a better view.
- Seattle Aquarium.  From what I can glean, it's a little pricey and not very impressive by Florida standards, but might be worth a look.
- Seattle Art Museum.  Mostly modern art, I think, but there's a free sculpture garden by the waterfront called Olympic Sculpture Park that might be fun to hang around.  There should be a touring exhibit of Australian aboriginal art while we're there.  Attached to the Seattle Asian Art Museum, which is what it sounds like.
- Seattle Central Library.  Bizarre architecture makes this by reputation a worthy tourist attraction; maybe we can cosplay Mawaru Penguindrum characters while we're there.
- Venus Karaoke.  Private rooms!

South Lake Union
This area's just northwest of downtown.  Transportation between downtown and South Lake is pretty easy; you take the South Lake Union Streetcar, which is notorious for its (possibly apocryphal) working name, "South Lake Union Transit."  It was changed because of the acronym, but to this day Seattleites joke about riding the SLUT.
- The Space Needle.  The natives seem to think it's pretty chintzy and silly, but everyone goes to the Space Needle, I guess.  Called "the most expensive elevator ride in America."  Has a rotating restaurant at the top.
- Pacific Science Center.  The best science museum in Seattle, left over from the 1962 World's Fair and designed by the architect who did the World Trade Center.  Hands-on exhibits, double IMAX, a butterfly house, a planetarium, and (in August) a traveling exhibit on Tutenkhamun and other Egyptian pharaohs.
- The Science Fiction Museum and Experience Music Project.  Two linked museums with shared admission.  No idea whether they're any good, but apparently this is the seat of the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, whatever that is.
- Seattle Lake Cruises.  IRG on a boat.  Might be some nice sightseeing, but on the pricey side.

Fremont
Fremont is up north of downtown, across Lake Union; you can bus over.  Apparently this is where you find Seattle counterculture, though in some ways the Central District is weirder.
- Woodland Park Zoo.  By all accounts, this is a very good zoo, with diverse and unusual exhibits -- lowland gorillas in an immersive habitat, breeding Sumatran tigers, Humboldt penguins, you name it.
- The Fremont Troll.  Fremont is an interesting place to stroll around because of all the public art; the troll is a big ol' statue under the Aurora Bridge.
- Gas Works Park.  Steampunk nirvana, but no tours as far as I can tell.
- Theo Chocolate Factory.  $5 tours with free samples!  I really wanted to do this when I was in Seattle, but the timing didn't work out.
- The shopping befits a counterculture area; there are some neat little places on the main streets.

Elsewhere
- The Museum of Flight in Georgetown, south of downtown.  They've got a Concorde in the parking lot, apparently.
- The Museum of the Mysteries in the Central District, east of downtown.  Occult, cryptozoology, and so on.
- Hothouse Spa & Sauna, also in the Central District.  Women only.  ;)  There's a gay bathhouse in the area too.
- Various places to rent kayaks and canoes and so on.  Seattle is built on an isthmus and there is water everywhere.
- Mount Rainier.  It's a drive -- 54 miles outside Seattle -- and you really do need a car.  But by reputation it's gorgeous, assuming you like hiking, as I do.

Might be worth noting that there's something called a Seattle CityPASS, for $59, that is good for admission to the Space Needle, the Seattle Aquarium, a boat tour, the Pacific Science Center, Woodland Park Zoo, and either the Museum of Flight or the music/SF museum.  I don't think I would want to hit all those places, but if we're feeling adventurous it's a pretty good selection!

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I'm overlooking, but this should be a start.  Add on, add on!!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-17-2011 09:15:58 PM)

#3 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:39:11 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

!!!! The Moore Hotel has a suite room that's 195 a night. BUT. It has two queen beds, two twins, a living room, a dining room, and a kitchenette. AND the room is adorable. I think we've found our hotel, and I think we've found the party room.

....this may be the first RoseCon where there's cooking. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#4 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:49:24 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

emot-aaa Whoa, awesome!

Don't think I can go due to being a wee child, but it sounds like so much fun emot-keke I definitely wanna go when I get older and can do stuff emot-dance !

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#5 | Back to Top11-17-2011 09:56:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I just checked your birthday, which is MY BIRTHDAY. Um...minus ten years. emot-gonk emot-gonk

You would not be the youngest to go to RoseCon! We try to make sure most of what we do is friendly to everyone present. Our first RoseCon even had one member come with their mother! emot-smile So don't worry on our account about your age. And do know that I will be perfectly happy to speak with parents to establish identity and make them more comfortable if that's what it takes to get people able to attend. emot-smile

#6 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:02:11 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Giovanna wrote:

I just checked your birthday, which is MY BIRTHDAY. Um...minus ten years. emot-gonk emot-gonk

You would not be the youngest to go to RoseCon! We try to make sure most of what we do is friendly to everyone present. Our first RoseCon even had one member come with their mother! emot-smile So don't worry on our account about your age. And do know that I will be perfectly happy to speak with parents to establish identity and make them more comfortable if that's what it takes to get people able to attend. emot-smile

Birthday buddy... ;w;

Parents very protective is all. I'll be 18 by then, so we'll seeeeee~ etc-love
I wanna goooo poptart

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#7 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:17:22 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO SEATTLE!! emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

THANK you for announcing this early. Rose Con was SO much fun last year and I miss you all. etc-love etc-love I'll be a big TBA, of course - money and all - but I'm set to graduate in the summer, so school will be out of the way. It just depends on what kind of job I find by then after grad school, if I find a job. I will see what I can do. etc-love etc-love

#8 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:31:06 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

WHOA!!! emot-aaa I AM SO THERE!!!

At least, I hope so. Must start saving!!!

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#9 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:34:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I will be there, by hook or by crook, whichever weekend we choose.  I'll walk if I have to.  poptart

#10 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:48:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think it goes without saying, but I'll be there. As will Yasha.

I wore a purple tie at the first RoseCon, and added a red shirt with the second. I don't know what the next step is but I think I might have to lull one of you into a false sense of security and then take advantage of my position and molest you. emot-frown

#11 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:51:10 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

This early in advance, I may actually be able to attend for once. With that in mind, can I add my comment to please not do it the third weekend of August? Because then I have to choose between Buckley and Rose-Con, and I don't wanna have to choose.

I love the idea of Seattle. LOVE.

Also, would very Utena-friendly SO's be able to attend as well?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#12 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:53:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I wore a purple tie at the first RoseCon, and added a red shirt with the second. I don't know what the next step is but I think I might have to lull one of you into a false sense of security and then take advantage of my position and molest you. emot-frown

Dear Dognog's parents,

Gio is only kidding.  She is well behaved and will only molest RoseCon attendees if they ask her nicely.  There was one time in New Orleans when she molested a wine bottle, but the wine bottle was totally asking for it, and she learned her lesson afterwards.

Love,

satyreyes

#13 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:57:52 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

YES.

...That is all for now.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#14 | Back to Top11-17-2011 11:03:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-biggrin Seattle is in wine country, you know. More bottles may have to suffer.

Aine - Awesome, we'll keep in mind to try and avoid that date, then. And absolutely yes, SO's are invited. Basically bring whoever you want so long as they know what they're getting into and don't mind being in a room full of SKU fans screaming at the TV screen because someone is getting slapped/seduced/hit in the face with a baseball.

Hey. It looks to me like we already have a RoseCon. emot-dance

#15 | Back to Top11-17-2011 11:05:01 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

satyreyes wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Dear Dognog's parents,

Gio is only kidding.  She is well behaved and will only molest RoseCon attendees if they ask her nicely.  There was one time in New Orleans when she molested a wine bottle, but the wine bottle was totally asking for it, and she learned her lesson afterwards.

Love,

satyreyes

... emot-rofl

~I think this is a good motivator to get a job and save up emot-tongue

#16 | Back to Top11-17-2011 11:49:21 PM

Chrome Homura

Pardon my ignorance, but... what are these "SO"s you refer to?

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#17 | Back to Top11-17-2011 11:57:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Chrome Homura wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but... what are these "SO"s you refer to?

That would be a Significant Other. emot-smile  Open-minded boyfriends, girlfriends, and otherfriends are invited!

#18 | Back to Top11-18-2011 12:05:27 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I know that some of you have issue with the creators, but what about being in town for PAX Prime? It'll be Labour Day Weekend (Aug 31 - Sept 2).

#19 | Back to Top11-18-2011 12:09:56 AM

Chrome Homura

Alrighty! I'll be sure to add that one to my list of 'net acronyms I had to learn by asking someone XD

Yeah, I'm hella excited for this. Especially since I just got into a better living situation, I can actually start saving money on my own now, so... yeah, I am definitely gonna be attending.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread for the forseeable future ;)

#20 | Back to Top11-18-2011 01:10:08 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Ooh, West Coast fun times! That makes it a little more likely that I'll be able to attend. Y'know, what with living in the middle of the Pacific and all. That's what kept me from going to the NOLA RoseCon (also grad school).

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#21 | Back to Top11-18-2011 01:42:06 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Syora - It's a thought! If there's positive input for it, I'll definitely see if we can manage it. Unfortunately that's probably after the college terms and such for people start in the US. Up here it's later but we tend to start classes the last week of Aug. emot-frown

Glad to see we already have people climbing on board this time! Amazing what two cons of credibility will do. I remember the first time people were like 'lol whut u srs' emot-rofl

mercurynin, that would be AWESOME. I know some of the WC crowd has had a hard time with the last two, that's why we're changing it up. East coast folk get a turn at the longer flight now.

#22 | Back to Top11-18-2011 02:15:30 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'll put a tentative hand up -- I honestly can't be sure what I'm doing until Christmas. If I get into my MA course at Victoria I won't be able to come, because the university semesters in New Zealand are up the wop compared to the ones in the northern hemisphere and I'll be poor as hell anyway, but if I don't get into the MA programme I'll be working as per usual and will most likely turn up. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#23 | Back to Top11-18-2011 03:56:44 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Once upon a time, someone warned me that you Internet people were all deviant freaks.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#24 | Back to Top11-18-2011 09:47:24 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

dirufacade wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Once upon a time, someone warned me that you Internet people were all deviant freaks.

Well they weren't necessarily WRONG were they? XD

Ahhh you silly Amurricans with your weird school schedules...

But I'm so exciiiitedl, I cannot waiiiit (my ass is still chapped about missing RoseCon 2010, so August is already booked off for me, bahahaha!)

#25 | Back to Top11-18-2011 10:05:45 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

... I seriously need to go to RoseCon one of these days.

Yes. I'm booking it for sure. I would love to see Washington.

Board footer